Start by marking “The Ten (Food) Commandments” as Want to Read:
The Ten (Food) Commandments

The Ten (Food) Commandments

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  265 ratings  ·  31 reviews

Britain's culinary Moses brings us the new foodie rules to live by, celebrating what and how we eat

The Ten Commandments may have had a lot going for them, but they don't offer those of us located in the 21st Century much in the way of guidance when it comes to our relationship with our food. And Lord knows we need it.

Enter our new culinary Moses, the legendary restaurant c

Published June 23rd 2016 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Ten (Food) Commandments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ten (Food) Commandments

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Ten (Food) Commandments
Ammar
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Funny educational short book about food. Ten Commandments that relate to food, and how to eat and enjoy the meal.

One can use his/her fingers and hands and eat with them, and not use utensils and how this changes the sensation and the feeling of the meal.

How one can try weird dishes, push the boundaries of your gastronomical comfort zone and eat a mouldy piece of cheese or some skewered insects, or rotten fish.

You can eat alone and you can eat with company, it's always your choice and it's no o
Joanne
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Really enjoyed this. Not sure I'd be brave enough to try some of the really stinky foods, as per one of his commandments, but I do try a lot of stuff when it comes to food, I am reasonably adventurous! I also share his annoyance with the modern stupidity of thinking some foods are "superfoods" and are going to cure you of something or prevent you from suffering something else. A load of cobblers! And these fads, as with the fads in clothing, change from one week to the next, one "supe ...more
Abby
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick witted and convincing as always, Jay Rayner manages to be incredibly likeable while yet also being incredibly stubborn and carnivorous. I reckon it's his ability to self mock, take ownership over his meat eating and contribute a raw personal honesty amidst tales of pork stews that does it for me.
Marc
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, food
Whatever you may think of his views, it's clear that Jay Rayner is an entertaining writer. He is intelligent and witty but not condescending. His ten food commandments are, he acknowledges, his own particular bugbears but they do make a lot of sense, particularly in the contexts he presents. Where he is trying to slam a revolving door with me is in his exhortation that food does not equal medicine, a view I have patiently (to degrees) attempted to explain to people around me whenever a new Daily ...more
Raghav
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the most important food related reads I've come across this year. Not only does it break a number of myths - especially about superfoods and stinky food - but also educates and entertains in the most humours of ways.
Robyn Roscoe
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was a gift from by book club buddy, who shares my delight in good food and good writing. The author here is a regular contributor of restaurant reviews and food commentary at The Guardian, so I’ve read and enjoyed his style before, but this was the first book of his I read.

I enjoyed the writing, and agree with many of the commandments, including “eat with your hands” (although I don’t do that much). I heartily agree with his assessments of beef and pork, and his proscription against cu
Snoakes
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
As ever, Jay Rayner is witty and entertaining as he takes us through his personal ten food commandments.
He's preaching to the converted here, as I wholeheartedly agree with much of this book - particularly the sections on leftovers & so-called superfoods. In fact, this section alone makes this slim volume vital reading in my opinion. I don't think I could ever learn to love andouillette sausages though.

Each chapter or commandment ends with a recipe or two. I'm not sure how much I would use them,
Jackie McMillan
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jay Rayner is a funny, engaging writer. This book, by and large, is common sense interspersed with food writer humour and anecdotes from his time as a food critic. As one myself I related to most of it - particularly getting dining companions who want to dissect every mouthful, making for very boring dinners! Of course it's a small group of people who get this privilege to make comment upon the labours of others, so we can lean towards pomposity. Jay largely avoids this in his useful, entertaini ...more
Reyiel Ananke
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, give-aways
I won this book through Good reads giveaways.

I love food. Either it is because of my upraising, my cultural back ground or just because food is good.

I real really enjoyed the sassy English humour of this book, who trying not to be too serious, still give a great insight on serious topics.

And you cannot go wrong when the book is full of personal recipes of amazing dishes.

This book is perfect for any food lover with a wicked sense of humour, and don´t take all the political side of this too serio
Jill Blevins
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable book with a cute premise. Witty, entertaining, and full of beautifully written thoughts unexpected from a "food writer." It didn't win me over with the Ten Commandments structure, but there it is in the title of the book, so that my prejudice. (Just a little too cute for me, but then again, I don't want to read anything to do with religion especially when wanting to enjoy food. Don't make me think about gluttony!)

Very quick read, very funny, very well-written, very informative w
Valerie
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thankyou Goodreads for this amusing little book. I must admit I have never read any of Jay Rayner's columns so this was a pleasant surprise, his writing clever and funny and very informative. An interesting read and actually the stuff about superfoods, I found absolutely fascinating. How often do we buy into the myths? A great book for anyone interested in food (and who isnt?)!
Beth
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun book! It's funny, informative and full of yummy recipes. But should only be read if you know something of Rayner and agree with his food philosophy-otherwise it might make you angry! If you love food, hate fads, enjoy eating meat (especially pork) and revel in being greedy this is the book for you!
Susan  Wilson
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely hilarious. He is so clever and makes salient points in a way that makes them easily remembered. Went and saw Jay speak at the Auckland Writers Festival and am hooked. Have two more of his books lined up to read.
Udaibir Singh
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
What a fun read. It has been seasoned with the right amount of funny and sarcasm. I like the fact where Jay starts with a responsible approach to food not just what is appropriate and not appropriate.
Angus Wood
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are some good rules to live by in here, such as making the most of leftovers and not believing in superfoods. However, I feel that the criticisms of Quorn are a little harsh.

But mainly what I took from it is that Jay Rayner likes to eat poo-filled tripe sausage.
Max
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guess this serves as an accessible and short introduction for those who want to know more about the history and science behind food (like me). Now that I'm done with this book I shall move on to other books about evolution of food etc
Sue
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightfully opinionated and witty book about the delights of eating
Kelly Pochyba
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars cause I read it in about an hour and laughed a bit and smiled heaps and yep can confirm its good. Perfect for a flight or a long bus or just sitting on the couch.
Chee Chau
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Informative, witty with a big pinch of sarcasm.
Suhel
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
At times unexpectedly hilarious, no fuss straight talking and happy taking contrarian views. Great quick read and filled with interesting recipes.
Choopie
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Quick Read. Super entertaining and informative!!
John
Jul 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Good fun and informative. Rayner writes with wit, keeps things moving along at a pace and then are some very tempting recipes. It's nice to be able to review a reviewer
Kathryn Holmes
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really fantastic book - full of interesting facts and opinions. Jay Rayner knows how to put together a successful book. An interesting read from start to finish, would recommend to anyone who likes food or foodie books!

Jay Rayner
Caroline
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short but entertaining.
Tim Suffield
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's faults: smug, self-satisfied and looking for a cheap gag.

And that's also what I enjoyed about it. It helps that I'm in broad agreement for at least eight of his ten food commandments, though only found one that I actively disagree with (on carefully selecting dinner companions - actually the process of eating brings very different people together, there's something unifying about the table).

Even that aside it's a fun, quick read. His evangelical atheism is grating, and entirely unnecessary,
C.M. Thompson
Jun 27, 2016 rated it liked it
When I first heard about 'The ten food commandments" I didn't want to read it, thinking it sounded too preachy and it was too expensive (6.50 for 140 pages) but the price was dropped to 4.50 and I brought it on a spur of the moment. I am really glad I did.
A great little book, some funny one liners and good counter arguments. It has made me think about food in a different way.
Abbey
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Jay Rayner would not want to eat with me! I am terrible at making decisions so frequently have to ask for more time to order. I'm also a dreadfully slow eater and am almost always the last to finish. I do like food, though. I love it. I love eating out. I love cooking food. I just love eating. And this was a very enjoyable little book - funny but also frequently sensible.
George Kingsley
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun little book that has a surprising amount of depth to it, having the benefit of being both funny and informative. Some may be put off by Rayner's unadulterated love of snobbery and cynicism but you have to take it all with a pinch of salt (no pun intended). My only criticism is the emphasis on academic reference, this element slightly muddies the informal tone of the book.
starduest
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Everything you'd expect from Rayner, with lashings of humour and generous doses of his no-nonsense approach to food that I've enjoyed on Masterchef. A light, slim read.
Iana
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is greeeaaat fun!

• The Unbearable Lightness of Being a Prawn Cracker: A Selection of Real Meals
  • Dunbar
  • Shadowplay: Behind the Lines and Under Fire: The Inside Story of Europe's Last War
  • The Furies
  • Twitch Force
  • Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader
  • The Man in the Red Coat
  • Dangerous River: Adventure on the Nahanni
Jay Rayner is a British journalist, writer and broadcaster born in 1966.