Start by marking “Better Off Thread (An Embroidery Mystery #10)” as Want to Read:
Better Off Thread (An Embroidery Mystery #10)

Better Off Thread

(An Embroidery Mystery #10)

Santa finds himself in a stitch of trouble in the tenth in the series from the national bestselling author of The Stitching Hour...

Marcy is busy helping her customers make hand-crafted ornaments at her embroidery shop, the Seven-Year Stitch. But despite the yuletide bustle, when her friend Captain Moe asks for her help, she can’t refuse—especially when the favor is to pla
Published December 6th 2016 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Better Off Thread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Off Thread

Linda
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so much fun to read, and despite the fact that I hadn't read any of the other books in the series, I felt totally at home with the characters and with their roles in the story. Marcy is the kind of protagonist I adore -- a caring, capable, courageous woman who goes out of her way to help anyone in need. I'm definitely going to backtrack and read some of the earlier installments in this charming series!
Karen
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great pre holiday who-dun-it filled with all the feels! Love her dog so much and I am very sure every time I read one of these books that one day I will have a dog just like Angus! Amanda Lee writes a great character and captures the feel of the small town perfectly in Better Off Thread. This is one to add to your pre Christmas to be read pile for sure!
Lisa Morin
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite one in the series

I really enjoy this series and this particular book 8s my favorite song far.
Marcy is a fun character and her nosiness gets her into some sticky situations.
Fans of this series will be delighted to read Better off Thread.
Amy
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This was my least favorite of the series. But I hope there are more!!
Carole Jarvis
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://bit.ly/2gzrlpR

This is the first of Amanda Lee’s series that I’ve read and I enjoyed it very much. When I think of the term “cozy mystery,” Better Off Thread fits the description perfectly. All the essential elements are present … small-town setting in Oregon, amateur detective who owns an embroidery shop, a strong supporting cast of friends, intuitive investigation, humor, a sweet romance, and the most adorable Irish Wolfhound named Angus! The writing is ti
Marie McNary
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you are like me, and like to read Christmas themed books through the month of December, Better off Thread by Amanda Lee is a great one to keep you full of Christmas cheer. Marcy and her dog Angus steal the show in this cozy mystery.

I could tell there had been books in this series before this one (quite a few by the look of the inside front cover), but you didn’t feel that you were coming into the party late. You did feel you were coming in during a happy time in Marcy’s life. I don’t know wha
Caitlin Copp
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: march-2017
Marcy's business The Seven Year Stitch is doing well, her relationship with detective, Ted is great and the holidays have arrived. Marcy agrees to do a stint as an elf at the local hospital as a favor to Captain Moe who is moonlighting as Santa. She is enjoying herself until she hears Captain Moe arguing with the hospital administrator, who is later found dead. Captain Moe becomes the main suspect but Marcy knows he is innocent. She starts investigating and finds that there is no shortage of sus ...more
Janice
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this on the kindle

This is the 10th in a series of 10 not sure if there will be more

I really enjoyed this one it is about a hospital administrator gets murdered & Captain Mo gets charged with the murder

Was a bit disappointed with the ending felt that more could have been said regarding Marcy's romance won't say what but a epilogue to say more
Annette
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. This series is one of my favorites.
Brooke Showalter (Brooke Blogs)
In Better Off Thread, Marcy finds herself in a holiday whodunnit. Her good friend, Captain Moe, who plays Santa at the local hospital, ends up a suspect in the murder of a hospital administrator. Marcy is determined to find out who is really responsible for the crime. As a result, she ends up in some unsafe situations. In addition to the murder mystery, Marcy is also trying to win over her boyfriend, Ted's, sister Tiffany. She wants to be liked by his family.

Marcy is a smart amateur sleuth, tho
Erika
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy, mystery
Marcy shows up at the hospital ready to play elf for some sick children only to find that Santa, being played by her friend Captain Moe, is suspected of murdering a hospital administrator. Sure that the two detectives in charge of the case aren’t going to worry about finding another suspect since they have Moe, Marcy and friends decide to investigate on their own.

I was surprised to find out after I finished this book that it was #10 in the series. On the one hand, I should have guessed because t
Paula Ratcliffe
Cayleigh Stickler
This is the final [as of the time of this review] installment of this series, and it finished strong - not even referring to the twist at the end, which wasn't really a twist.

In this, the director of the local hospital is found stabbed to death, and Captain Moe is now a suspect. He is found on the scene of the crime wearing a Santa suit, and the juxtaposition is comically macabre. As the story unfolds, the reader learns that Captain Moe had been secretly dating the administrator, even though th
Laura Reading
How can Marcy end up in danger while playing a goofy, lovable Christmas elf at the local hospital?
Have you met Marcy, the "inch-high private eye?" She is loyal and warm hearted and often a bit too nosy for her own good. She thought the most difficult part of this holiday would be getting her boyfriend's sister to accept her. Or walking Angus on slippery streets.

I love all the best friend type characters in this series. How supportive they are and how willing to go above and beyond to help each o
Marilyn
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Around the Year in 52 Books 2017 Reading Challenge. A book with an animal on the cover.

Captain Moe is playing Santa for the children at the hospital and Marcy is his elf assistant. When they show up on Sunday, Moe discovers the hospital administrator with a kitchen knife in her chest. Since they were heard to argue the day before he is arrested for her murder. When Ted, Marcy, Vera, and Veronica investigate they learn a great deal about the hospital and at least two men with violent, abusive tem
Emily
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Another fun read. I love how her "brothers" rush to protect her. one thing that has always drawn me into her books is the relationships between people. Not only that of a smaller town where people tend to look out for each other, but of family too. I love seeing Marcy worried about her relationship with Ted's sister. And that Ted's sister wants to protect him.

As usual Amanda Lee does i nice job of not making the killer obvious.
Gloria Brzny
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed this book. have read others in the series which have also been good. really liked the characters well rounded and make you feel like you are there. enjoy the small town location. also this book kept me guessing on "who did it" almost three quarters of the way into the book. even having read her other books. can not wait for the next one.
ReadaBook
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
A very enjoyable series -- except for Marcy's boyfriend Ted, who has become more annoying with each book. Each time he calls Marcy "Inch High"; each time she sits on his lap like a child ... it makes me cringe. So I've taken away 2 stars in my rating primarily because of Ted, and the end of this latest book. Thank goodness for Angus -- a nonjudgmental male in the series!
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
What can I say about this series that I haven't said already? This far into the series and I still love it. The characters and writing style still good? Check. The mystery and pacing still good? Check. Also what's with cozies and their adorable endings that make you want the next book already? I would love to read more from this series.
Idania M
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i ready like this book a lot.Amanda Lee is a excellent author. in this book captain Moe is charge with the murder of the hospital. Marcie and her friends and her police officer boyfriend has to help captain Moe niece (Riley the Lawyer)prove that he didn't do it. i can't wait to see if a new book comes out from this series.
Kylie Gonzalez
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The overall series was fine. Not something I would totally recommend to someone. My biggest issue was that each book could be a stand alone, there wasn’t a lot of character development between each book and like 1/4 of each book repeated from the other books.
Sheri Jesse
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this series! Marcy is such a good friend and I always look forward to the seeing what Marcy will get involved in next. I also enjoy the interactions between Marcy & Jill, Marcy & Ted & Angus, and the usual cast of characters.
Sandy Johnson
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the end of the series and wrapped up many things. As always not everything has an ending. Make up your own. Was an easy reading and enjoyable series.
April Schilling
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Monica Mason
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good mystery to end a series (is it really finished?). Muriel makes an appearance. That hard of hearing little old lady puts a smile on my face.
Julie Siemek
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
An entertaining read by Ms. Lee. Light-hearted mystery with a touch of humor and romance.
Johanna
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The characters are all great. And Angus is the best! Please keep writing!
Emma Taylor
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Possibly my favourite one. Just wis there had been a bit more at the end to wrap up the series.
Stacey
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-2017
Happy ending I loved it
Johnna
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite titles from this series! great read!
  • A Vintage Death (Keepsake Cove Mystery, #2)
  • Thread Herrings (Mainely Needlepoint, #7)
  • Cracked to Death (A Webb's Glass Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Die, Die Birdie (A Bird Lover's Mystery #1)
  • Called to Justice (Quaker Midwife Mystery #2)
  • Cat Got Your Diamonds (Kitty Couture Mystery #1)
  • The Final Vow (Living History Museum, #3)
  • Knock on Wood (Superstition Mystery, #2)
  • Get Me to the Grave on Time
  • Egg Drop Dead (Cackleberry Club, #7)
  • The Calamity Café (Down South Café Mystery #1)
  • Cheddar Off Dead (Undercover Dish Mystery #2)
  • Weave of Absence
  • Kneaded to Death (A Bread Shop Mystery #1)
  • Silence of the Lamps (Caprice De Luca Mystery, #5)
  • Murder Sends a Postcard (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #3)
  • Putting on the Witch (Retired Witches Mystery #3)
  • Ginger Snapped (Spice Shop Mystery, #5)

Amanda Lee is a pseudonym of Gayle Trent.

Series:
* Embroidery Mystery

(from Gayle Trent's webpage)

"Thank you so much for stopping by my site!

I live in Southwest Virginia with my husband and two beautiful children, a boy and a girl. I’m a full-time writer/editor/mom/wife and chief cook and bottle washer, and I lov

An Embroidery Mystery (10 books)
  • The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1)
  • Stitch Me Deadly (An Embroidery Mystery, #2)
  • Thread Reckoning (An Embroidery Mystery, #3)
  • The Long Stitch Good Night (An Embroidery Mystery, #4)
  • Thread on Arrival (An Embroidery Mystery, #5)
  • Cross Stitch Before Dying (An Embroidery Mystery, #6)
  • Thread End (An Embroidery Mystery, #7)
  • Wicked Stitch (Embroidery Mystery, #8)
  • The Stitching Hour (Embroidery Mystery, #9)
“Pray for the best, prepare for the worst” 0 likes