Start by marking “A Season of Spells (Noctis Magicae, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Season of Spells (Noctis Magicae, #3)

A Season of Spells

(Noctis Magicae #3)

In the latest novel from the author of Lady of Magick, Sophie and Gray Marshall must save the Kingdom of Britain from a tide of dark magic...

Three years after taking up residence at the University of Din Edin, Sophie and Gray return to London, escorting the heiress of Alba to meet the British prince to whom she is betrothed. Sparks fail to fly between the pragmatic Luci
Published December 6th 2016 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about A Season of Spells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Season of Spells

Pouting Always
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I haven't read the other books in the series so maybe that might be why I didn't like this one but honestly I was just surprised that anyone could write a boring book about magic. Sophie and Grey return from University after graduation back to London with Lucia who is betrothed to Prince Ronald. Prisoners poison the king and run away which leads to Grey being sent away to track them down. Meanwhile Sophie works on getting an old women's college reopened. I think the book might have just had too ...more
Krissys
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: featured-books, star
A Season of Spells (Noctis Magicae #3) by Sylvia Izzo Hunter

Sparks fail to fly between the pragmatic Lucia of Alba and the romantic Prince Roland, and the marriage alliance is cast into further doubt when the men who tried to poison King Henry are discovered to have escaped from prison.   Gray sets off to tr
Colleen Earle
I love this series so much.

This book, unlike the last two, did not have a slow-down period. From beginning to end, the book was filled with action and mystery.

The only thing that I found a little unsatisfactory was the ending. It happened very quickly and was wrapped up very neatly. I wish that it had taken more time to elaborate on what the various characters had done since the end of the war.

One of the things that I really enjoyed in this novel was that there was less of a focus on Gray and S
Amy A
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Originally posted on Vampire Book Club

After three years of living in Alba and attending university, it’s time for Sophie and Gray Marshall to head back to London escorting the heiress of Alba, Lucia MacNeill, to meet her betrothed, Prince Roland, Sophie’s brother.

While that first meeting does not go off as planned, Sophie figures out what to do with her time back in London: begin the process of reopening the Lady Morgan College in Oxford whose doors mysteriously closed centuries ago.

However, Sop
Joanna
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series and am so sorry to see it’s considered a completed trilogy, as I would like to read many more. I know a lot of Goodreaders have complained of the pace, even going so far as to call these books boring, but for me, they blend the forms of a novel about society and manners with a thrilling magic adventure perfectly. I love every bit- the world building, the characters, the politics, the magic, the romance.... I hope the author reconsiders and starts another trilogy in the same w ...more
Zoe
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I was surprised to find out that Season of Spells was intended as the ending of a trilogy, as it felt very much like a middle book. It does resolve the through-line about women not being allowed at Oxford. This book's plot about a Napoleon-esque dictator attempting to take over Europe received, strangely, less attention. Part of the appeal of the previous two books was the cozy background to the thriller plots; this one gets almost too cozy (laughing at the sinister Imperator Gallia as he pratfa ...more
Kristen
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
It makes me so sad to not have loved the third book in this series, because I really loved the first two books. This felt like a completely different kind of book than the first two.

The first two books felt like going on a thrilling magical adventure with the characters, but this book, at least to the end of chapter 10, which is how far I got before I gave up, felt like more of a treatise on society and the societal expectations of the time.

The story was very slow moving, and there was very lit
SmartBitches
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: b-grade, fantasy
Full review at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books

A Season of Spells lured me with its pretty cover (owls!), a promise of romance, and a hint that maybe it would be winter-themed and thus go nicely with my holiday reading. It turned out to be the last book in a trilogy. My tip: don’t start with the last book in a trilogy.

A Season of Spells, which is not seasonal by the way, is a fantasy book with several plots that are haphazardly glued together. Initially the plot seems to be that Sophie, the main char
Rita
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Since it has been so long since I read the first two books in this series I had a little trouble getting in to this one and then catching up. It didn't seem to flow as well as the first two either. However, I still love the characters and will miss following their antics in Old England.

This is an alternative history with magic woven in to the time period of King Henry. One scene is set in the palace archives where the mages find volume after volume of old diaries. Wouldn't that be heavenly?
Katriana
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely fell in love with this series! The themes, setting and characters worked extremely well together and the twists and turns that Sylvia Izzy Hunter enclosed within the novels kept me on my toes. I especially loved Gray and Sophie’s as well as Roland and Lucia’s relationships! I was a little unsure about the conclusion of Johanna and Gwendolen’s relationship as there were not really any further development of their feelings. I would definitely read the series again and I wish there was ...more
Sarah  Loves Books and tea
Not as good as the previous books in trilogy - I am disappointed to only give this 3 stars but it dragged for me and I speed read the last quarter. I still love the writing and the characters and the world the author has created but the plot let this book down. There was just too many sub plots, few of which were interesting. I still love the author's style and I look forward to any new books she writes.
Angelica
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fa
I didn't really like this book all that much, but I'm giving it 4 stars because I haven't liked any of the books I've read lately... You know how it is, sometimes nothing is ever good enough.

And, I must also confess, I didn't expect to like this book at all. I found the last one very slow, up until the very end, so when I started reading this one, I was basically just looking for excuses to put it down. And yet, I have read it to the end. And enjoyed it. So there.
Claire
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was a bit disappointing compared to the previous two books in the series. The two plotlines - refounding Lady Morgan College and fighting the Emperor of Gaul - seemed a bit disjointed and the finale felt anticlimactic. I love the world-building but this didn't live up to the promise of the first two books in the series.
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Book three of a historical fantasy series set in a world I am really enjoying (think Jane Austen + magic + Roman and Celtic goddesses and gods - very fun!)

Sophie and Gray are back in London with a familiar cast of characters as a royal wedding may be drawing nigh. Someone in what we would call France is calling himself an Emperor. And Sophie is thinking again about how British women can get the education they deserve.
A'Llyn
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked the alternate-magical-history Britain of this world, with it Victorian-esque politics infused by commonplace magic use. Maybe should have read the earlier books first, since it was a bit tough getting to know all the characters and their history at this point.
Megan
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful conclusion to a fantastic series. It was such a pleasure to revisit some of my favorite characters and I was rooting for Sophie to have her ancestors' college restored. Also Sophie and Gray as well as Roland and Lucia are adorable!
Cin
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A pretty nice novel. I found it a bit slow at the beginning, but it's getting better. Nice story line. I enjoyed reading it.
I received a free copy from the Goodreads First Reads program. Thanks for sending me this book.
Pat
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Disappointing end to the trilogy--slow to get started until the last quarter of the book, rushed at the end, plot holes and unresolved major plot points. The ending especially felt like the author realized she was nearly out of pages and had to condense everything to fit it in. Unsatisfying.
Jen
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous end to this trilogy. I will miss the characters, but can't wait to see what this author write next.
Courtney
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sue Shipley
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading about Sophie, Gray and the others. Liked the description of the shape shifters. Was ready to punch all the chauvinistic men, but some came around in the end
Heidi
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books-read
I liked this series. It was nice the author wrapped it up in a trilogy and didn't drag it out until I didn't like it any more.
Also my 100th book read in 2017 :-)
Kris
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A fitting end to this trilogy, though the grand finale was a bit abrupt.
Hilary Scroggie
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Delightful, but made me very aware of the Jonathan-Strange-and-Mr.-Norrell-sequel-shaped hole in my heart.
Shereen Lang
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Audible books do not have a good set up of how many book in set and which one to start with ... So i started with this one was total lost sry
Lindsay
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved it so much but I felt it was rushed in the last quarter.
Sam
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Not as strong as the other two books in the series, though still a great read. I was a little disappointed to see so much of the focus on other characters, to the detriment of time spent with Sophie and Gray, and the ending felt a little rushed, as though there really ought to have been another book, but the author suddenly remembered that this was a trilogy. There were two plot lines here which I felt almost deserved separate books, and at least one rather significant question which I felt was ...more
Jane
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Better than the second book in the series but not as good as the first. Sorry, but I'm over Sophie and Gray and their World's Best Love which allows them to check on each from hundreds of miles away. I still like Gray a lot, but Sophie is more annoying than anything else. So powerful! And the King's favorite child! Everyone pales next to Sophie!

The most interesting couple in this book was Roland and Lucia, who are about to enter a political marriage.

There is one wonderful moment where two mage
Sherry
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Season of Spells is the final book in the trilogy that began with The Midnight Queen. I liked the entire series, and this review is really a series review. That said, I think that these books will definitely not work for everyone.

The novels take place in an alternate version of our world, in the areas that roughly correspond to Great Britain and France, although with a different political map and history and the presence of magic. At the core of the series is the romance between Gray, a studen
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I find this series, and this book in particular, a bit slow, but I generally enjoy them.
  • The Mystic Marriage (Alpennia, #2)
  • The Master of Heathcrest Hall (Mrs. Quent, #3)
  • Lady Henterman’s Wardrobe (The Streets of Maradaine, #2)
  • Of White Snakes & Misshaped Owls (Charlotte Olmes Mystery #1)
  • The Golden Book of Faerie (The Chronicles of Faerie, #1-4)
  • The Islam Quintet: Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree, The Book of Saladin, The Stone Woman, A Sultan in Palermo, and Night of the Golden Butterfly
  • Fall for You (Law of the Pack #1)
  • The King's Peace (Tir Tanagiri, #1)
  • A Study in Darkness (The Baskerville Affair, #2)
  • The Hidden Goddess (Veneficas Americana, #2)
  • Echoes in the Dark (The Summoning #5)
  • Lavender-Green Magic (The Magic Series, #5)
  • A Different  Sky
  • The Bird of the River (Lord Ermenwyr, #3)
  • With Fate Conspire (Onyx Court, #4)
  • Color of the Sea
  • The Sisters Mederos
  • Murder and Magic (Lord Darcy, #1)
Sylvia Izzo Hunter was born in Calgary, Alberta, and started making up stories at approximately the time she learned to talk. She now lives in Toronto, Ontario, with her husband and daughter and their slightly out-of-control collections of books, comics, and DVDs. When not writing, she works in scholarly publishing, sings in two choirs, reads as much as possible, knits (mostly hats), and engages i ...more

Noctis Magicae (3 books)
  • The Midnight Queen (Noctis Magicae, #1)
  • Lady of Magick (Noctis Magicae, #2)