Start by marking “Clean Room, Vol. 2: Exile” as Want to Read:
Clean Room, Vol. 2: Exile

Clean Room, Vol. 2: Exile

(Clean Room #7-12)

Fan-favorite Gail Simone's (Batgirl, Wonder Woman) suspenseful debut Vertigo series continues in this volume.
Journalist Chloe Pierce had no idea that her fiance Philip's decision to pick up a book by enigmatic and compelling self-help guru Astrid Mueller would change her life forever--by ending his! Three months after reading Mueller's book, Philip had blown his brains out
Published January 3rd 2017 by Vertigo

To ask other readers questions about Clean Room, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clean Room, Vol. 2

Start your review of Clean Room, Vol. 2: Exile
Chad
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Who knew Gail Simone had a horror writer lurking inside her? Simone continues with the twists and turns that keeps this book interesting. We get to see more of the backstory of what is really going on as the story focuses a bit more on Astrid's backstory and each of her lieutenants. Jon Davis-Hunt continues to impress with his stunning body horror. His character work is fantastic which makes those creepy of hell monsters he draws look even more horrifying.
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
Another great volume!

Astrid is turning out to be a really great character! I really like that we're seeing more of what Chloe can do and Killian is still a badass character with depth to her motivations. We also get more on Capone and Duncan, Astrid's good little soldiers.

The monsters are even better in this one! I actually felt a little bad for Spark until we got more on his history. I love how Chloe's mind works in this volume!

We get more on Astrid's history and kind of how she began the
Shannon
Oct 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
This made me hate myself. Why keep reading? Whhyyyy

Because sometimes I'm dumb and hope things will get better.

This definitely didn't.

Individual issue reviews: #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12

Total review score: 1.17
Stewart Tame
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
An assassin's bullet strikes Astrid, and an attempt to take over the board of the Honest World Foundation is made. And we get glimpses of just what exactly this is all about. It's not pretty.

In some ways, this series reminds me of Robert Kirkman’s Outcast. In both cases, we have otherworldly entities controlling humans in ways that resemble demonic possession. Whether that's actually what's going on remains to be seen. Also, in both titles, the doling out of clues is slow and deliberate. Simone
Chris Lemmerman
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gail Simone is sick, twisted, more than a little worrying, and absolutely amazing.

Clean Room continues to shock and surprise at every turn, with plot twists you'll never see coming (check out the first double page spread in issue 8) and yet some deeply personal and intense characterization that balances it all out. We still don't have all the answers, but the bigger picture is coming into focus, and it's scary as hell.

This book wouldn't be half as effective without Jon-Davis Hunt, who draws body
Alan
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I admit that I binge read at times. And, when I do that I do not always post reviews the same day I complete a trade and move onto the next one. This is my attempt at saying sometimes the reviews are shorter than they should be.

What sticks with me regarding this installment is Astrid. It is not just that she is one of the story's main characters. Unlike Chole, or the rest for that matter, we get more insight into the events that created this uncompromising woman. Many would consider Astrid very
Sana
'You know loyalty--I swear to god--we don't understand it. Kills more of you dipshits than cancer, you know that?'

THINGS GETS GROSSER AND MORE MESSED UP AND I'M HERE FOR IT ALL. Ughhh, this series is such a trip. But I gotta say I really love how many awesome female characters are in this

I really liked reading more about Astrid's origin story and the Muellers turning out to be more fucked up than I thought. There's more about Chloe and her mysterious powers and Killian remains a badass with a
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
I'd swear this is Gail Simone writing as Garth Ennis, but Simone of course has more sophistication and knows the boundary between grotesqueries and just gross.

The second volume of this horror comic does a good job of making more sense and slowly bringing us into the backstory of what's going. There are also some very nice action sequences. On the flip side, the characters are less intriguing and more focused on just moving along the plot.

I'm looking forward to the next volume, which is sadly
Travis Duke
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as good as volume 1 for me. I still think the story is entertaining but I'm not sure it has much gas left in the tank. The story stalls a bit and new characters are introduced that do very little for the story. The writing is just inconsistent and there are moments where I am asking myself where is this going. The sudden romance with the detective was off base for the story and so was the backstory for Spark, it was sloppy. Overall the plot is OK seems predictable at times and slow. I hope ...more
Jacob
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Intensely intense again! So happy there are already a few volumes out so I can dive right in!
Agnė
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although a couple of plot points in Clean Room, Vol. 2 seem a little bit underdeveloped (for instance, (view spoiler)), this volume is as weird, disturbing, captivating, and masterfully illustrated as the first one in the series:

(view spoiler)
Jeff Raymond
While I thought the first volume of this was pretty solid, what I'm surprised about with this second volume is how quickly it seems to fall out of the insanity and into a situation where things feel a little more structured. It becomes a miss as a result, and one I hate to admit I didn't love. I'll absolutely keep going with the story, especially since there was plenty here to keep my interest, but...
Chris Walker
May 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror-comics
I picked this up from the library despite not enjoying volume 1 because I was curious as to whether the story got any better.

It didn't.

I don't know if it's just an issue of my tastes changing as I get older, or if it's a result of overexposure to similarly themed comics, but Clean Room simply doesn't do it for me. If I had to pick an overarching problem with the comic at the end of volume 2, it's that it seems to conflate darkness with depth and overt cynicism with satire. In the first volume we
Zedsdead
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Zedsdead by: next in series
Deeper down the rabbit hole we go.

This volume contains possibly the most horrifying, dehumanizing torment I've ever seen. Kevin Smith's TUSK, but worse. Gail Simone and Jon Davis-Hunt are a little scary.

Davis-Hunt's illustrations crush it once again. He blends a remarkable clarity with interesting, almost cinematic choices: perfectly composed overhead views, or a series of nigh-identical panoramic shots in which the only change is the speck of a sniper in the distance.

Plot points (it's a busy
Cale
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This volume ups the ante, taking as read the invasion is coming and putting Mueller on the front line as she faces an assassin, a 'reformed' creature, and a hostile takeover. Her frenemy Chloe Pierce isn't quite as center-stage in this volume, but she does provide a lot of detail and pathos. Very little of this volume takes place in the activated clean room, with much of the horror being in the real world this time. A lot happens, with some flashback moments from Astrid's young life helping ...more
Colleen
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Binged the rest of this series tonight and was on edge of my seat for most of the ride (there were multiple times where the events were so gruesome, I had to put aside and check work emails so I could process it all--see (view spoiler)). Astrid Mueller's backstory is revealed and she goes from villain to (view spoiler). The villains are absolutely terrifying and the only thing I disliked about this one is the ...more
Maggie Gordon
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
(Shudders) Clean Room is a terrifyingly creepy story about aliens/demons, cults, power, and a host of fun things like that. This second volume is a bit scattered. Astrid almost dies, Chloe gets drawn into that mess, and people are trying to take advantage of the chaos. I feel like this story would be best told in an omnibus edition. It's hard to settle into the story given the gaps between releases, and the short span of issues that you get. Still an interesting addition to Simone's canon.
Jena
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
If you're looking for a read with disturbing imagery, this is your book. The art is stunning and has many creatively (delightfully) disgusting scenes.

The story and characters, however, are completely all over the place. I didn't enjoy the first book that much for that reason, and this book even less so. I would have less of a problem if it simply stuck to the disturbing imagery but it tries to force a plot which is in my opinion underdeveloped. I think I'm finally going to drop this series.
J
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This series is wonderfully bizarre and unlike a lot of things out there right now. Aliens? Demons? Both? Who's the villain? You think you know then it shifts. What's going on? You'll just have to keep guessing. Looks like the third book will bring this all to its thundering conclusion. What a hell of a ride.
Ryan Werner
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I don't really understand what's going on. This isn't too far removed from the interesting mystery of a detective story with an excessive number of twists and turns and ancillary characters--who has an allegiance to whom, what's going to happen to the characters I like, etc--but there's no end goal I can see in Clean Room yet. I'm twelve issues deep and I don't really know what any of the characters want. It's kind of fun to wonder who is the face and who is the heel, but switching my sympathies ...more
Cecilia
3.5 stars Awesome artwork and an interesting sequel.
Renata
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
shit this continues to be way too scary for me but I'm too interested in the concept and too invested in the characters to quit reading, goddamn you Gail Simone
Amber
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Some questions have been answered, while new ones emerged.
Tomas
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Same level of quality is maintained and the story gets more and more clearer. Don't get me wrong there is still a lot of weird stuff going on but it is always a weird stuff you expect and understand.
Jordan McMinn
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is just as twisted as the first volume.
I loved it.
Miriam
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 love this series!
Chris
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm still not sure exactly what to think of this series. It's intriguing, certainly. There is a certain shock factor, but sometimes (many times) it doesn't seem to lend to the story as much as just be there for shock. The artwork is fantastic, but where is this story even going?
Freesiab (Bookish Review)
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5. I like where the story is going. It's more defined. It's still a bit creepy but this volume has an excellent ending!
Matt Hope
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Was looking forward to this and it didn't disappoint
DeAnna Knippling
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Gail Simone is ruthless in this volume. So are her characters. It's been a long time since I put a book down in the middle, going, "Am I sure I want to read this?" It's not that it's graphic. It is. It's just so ruthless; ruthless like some kind of ancient god would be ruthless.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Beauty, Vol. 4
  • Unfollow, Vol. 2: God Is Watching
  • House of Penance
  • The Beauty, Vol. 1
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".

Clean Room (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Clean Room #1