Start by marking “This is My Book!” as Want to Read:
This is My Book!

This is My Book!

A hilarious and playful romp about making books, perfect for fans of Press Here and The Book with No Pictures.

What happens when a writer learns that he doesnt quite have as much control over his book as he thinks? When Mark Petts characters, led by a panda bear named Spike, take over his book and begin telling a story of their own, pandemonium ensues! Whos really in
Published September 6th 2016 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about This is My Book!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This is My Book!

Start your review of This is My Book!
Celebrilomiel
I will not lie I opened and closed that pop-up page half a dozen times before moving on. ...more
Panda Incognito
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this book, a fabulous, opinionated panda who likes to be called Spike messes up Mark Pett's creative process in cute and entertaining ways. This has been on my to-read shelf for a long time, and I finally got it through ILL. I'm so glad that I did!

Update: This is even funnier than I realized. I read it aloud to family members before I returned it to the library, and I left my parents and teenage siblings in stitches. The amount of drama a reader can put into this dialogue is unparalleled.
Heather Rubert
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. 'Nuff said.
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mark Pett is my new favorite children's author. He was not around when my son was little but I've been reading him to my nieces.

This is My Book is a very clever way of an author engaging the reader. He illustrates himself informing us that this is his book and everything has to go his way. He draws a Panda who has different ideas, including his name.

It's very cute the way Pett's character demands his pages to be white and clean and the panda decides to draw on them and add more characters and
Stefanie Kellum
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
What a fun read! I love titles that break the 4th wall like that. :) Kids will adore this! I'll definitely buy it for my library.

*I read a digital ARC of this title from the publisher via Edelweiss.
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-at-heart
I love this crazy panda! CUTE!
Jocelin
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Funny picture book about the creative process that an author goes through when creating a book. He crafted another fun picture book.
Stephanie Croaning
This is a fun interactive story featuring a frustrated author/illustrator and a fun-loving panda named Spike.

Picture book, interactive
Interest Level: Pre-K through grade 3; Reading Level: 1.7
4 out of 5 stars

This picture book can be enjoyed on several different levels. First, and probably the most important, is that it is a fun interactive story featuring a frustrated author/illustrator and a fun-loving panda named Spike.

The author, Mark Pett, is featured as the main character of the book. He
Gretchen
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classroom-use
This book reminds me of Chester, by Melanie Watt, because once the author draws a panda for us, the panda decides it is time to take over the book. You have to laugh as the two characters battle for control of the book. Every time the author states a rule about his book, how it is written and what will happen, the panda breaks the rule and does what he wants. The story continues until the author decides that he can give up a little control and share the book with the panda and the reader. This ...more
Sarah Adamson
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My daughter loved this book and read it several times at home and then read it to me on the drive to return it to the library since I hadn't had time to read it! :) The book was similar to the Elephant and Piggie - We are in a book - by Mo Willems.
Hilarious, breaks through the fourth wall and brings the reader all the way into the book. Inspired my daughter to come home and write her own story! Fabulous!
Jana
This is a fun picture book that breaks down the wall between the author, the characters, and the reader. The author/illustrator of the book is trying explain the "rules" of his book, but the main character, an independent-minded panda, won't cooperate. As the panda writes his own words, creates his own characters, and adds fun features to the book (like tabs and pop-ups), the author realizes that books belong to everyone. This would be a lot of fun to share with young children.
Julie
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I am a huge fan of metafiction, but will admit the meta picture book shelf has gotten pretty stuffed lately (including my own contribution). This book is fresh despite similar meta "how a picture book is made" themes to others, and it's definitely good silly fun, and adds in some new elements (A POP UP!) that are gleeful and unexpected.
Rachel Crowe
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book would be great for children to read to read and explore. This book has a lot of pictures and a lot of things the children can do interactively and hands on. This book is a book wrote by a panda named spike and then there is the little boy. No-one really knows who is writing this book because they are always competing.
Sheri
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great lesson in what a book is and the introduction to the author and the illustrator. But in the presentation the Panda the author/illustrator draws takes things out of the author's hands and pushes the illustrations and adds flaps, pull tabs, and pop ups. Cute story and lots of hands on to read and try while the author goes off about the changes.
Earl
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I've been hesitant about picking this up for some reason. And I just realized why I've been so drawn to it- I love Mark Pett's other books. In this one, his storytelling is interrupted by a panda. A playful look at the creative process and different kinds of books. The feature that really got to me was the blank book included to encourage readers to write and/or draw their own book!
Angie
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty cute and will be fun to use for a lesson or two ... but I'm not sure with the pull tabs and pop ups how long it would last as a circulating library book. Not that that should be a main consideration.
The conversations between the author and the Panda will amuse kiddos.
Megan Johnson
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-classes
Myself and another librarian read this book to three third grade classes as the author and illustrator and the panda. The kids really enjoyed it. We enjoyed ourselves as well. This was a really cute read.
Katie
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jane really loved this one. She had to go show it to her brothers and Dad after we read it. It's very clever and reminds me a bit of the Piggie & Gerald books by Mo Willems. Jane says this is her favorite Hoosier Nominee so far.
Susie
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I decided to pick this up after seeing that it won the YHBA for primary. I can just imagine the students' reaction when hearing/seeing this. Unfortunately, the pull tab was torn by the time I got it from the library. Fun idea, maybe not totally original.
Nicole
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
this book is fun and interactive. My daughter loves when the text and the pictures have something different. She just laughs the whole time. It is fun to read over and over.
emyrose8
This book is HILARIOUS. I could not stop laughing. Very interactive and breaks the fourth wall.
Cosette
Percy. I am seeing Percy everywhere.
Abby Rowe
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I believe that Mark Pett gives children an insight on how a book works and how his book stands out from others! It shows how creative one can be just by writing a book!
Mary
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
:) How to write a children's book by a committee.
Linda
A hilarious read aloud that works with the K-2 audience. It is a great book about sharing control and being welcoming to other people's ideas.
Nathan Clement
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
hysterical.
SABRINA LEMMON
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my new favorite interactive books!
Eileen
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So cute! An early introduction to the creative process that anyone can understand, but also a simple lesson in sharing and working together to create.
Jess
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books, z_17
One of those books which is fun but will also get destroyed after about 5 checkouts.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dandy
  • Magic Ramen: The Story of Momofuku Ando
  • Paper Son: The Inspiring Story of Tyrus Wong, Immigrant and Artist
  • I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
  • Hotel Bruce (Mother Bruce series, Book 2)