Start by marking “Long Time Lost” as Want to Read:
Long Time Lost

Long Time Lost

The must read new thriller from the bestselling author of Safe House.

Nick Miller and his team provide a unique and highly illegal service, relocating at-risk individuals across Europe with new identities and new lives. Nick excels at what he does for a reason: he's spent years living in the shadows under an assumed name.

But when Nick steps in to prevent the attempted murde
Published May 3rd 2016 by Faber & Faber

To ask other readers questions about Long Time Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Time Lost

Christine
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This year is proving to be pretty strong for thrillers. It is good to see Chris Ewan there, with a fantastic thriller in Long Time Lost. I’ve only read Dark Tides by Chris Ewan, a few years back. This book definitely makes him a ‘must read’, in my opinion. Long Time Lost is a glorious ‘race against time’ heart stopping thriller, spread across European locations.

The story introduces us to Nick Miller enigmatic helper of those in need of a new life. Miller and his team have it all down to a fine a
Raven
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having quickly established himself as one of my particular favourites Ewan brings us, Long Time Lost, which takes us on a chilling adventure throughout Britain and Europe, focusing on the work of a small team on a personal mission to protect individuals under witness protection. From its suspenseful opening to a beautifully weighted unfolding of a dark and dangerous tale, this book totally justifies the label of ‘unputdownable’. What struck me as I was reading was the sheer cleverness of plottin ...more
Paul
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Long Time Lost – Another Brilliant Ewan Thriller

Chris Ewan is rapidly becoming one of the must read thriller writers who brings bags of energy while crafting a stunning story. Chris Ewan is becoming a master storyteller who is on fire, creating story after story that grips you and sticks with you after you have finished.

Long Time Lost is the latest thriller from Chris Ewan whose hero leads where others my fear to tread taking the tough challenges rather than an easy life. Long Time Lost is a fas
Jim Coughenour
Usually I'm not thrilled by thrillers – my favorite genre is cerebral, slightly-dull procedurals, like those by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö or Henning Mankell – but I was diverted by the desperate circumstances of Ewan's Nick Miller & team, who are refreshingly inept at being the exceptional cartoon characters they first seem to be. I won't say a word about the plot because anyone who dives into this book deserves to enjoy its twists and turns.
Joyce
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an action packed thriller that moves along at a fast pace. It has a
good plot that keeps you reading until the end. Nick Miller and his team
hide people and relocate them across Europe with new identities and new
lives. Here he tries to prevent a murder while looking for the people who
Killed his wife and daughter. Kate Sutherland is the woman he is trying to
save and a character you will root for. I enjoyed this book and look forward
to his next .
Tripfiction
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kate is in hiding under a police witness protection scheme. When those she is hiding from arrive to kill her, Miller offers to take over Kate’s protection using his own private protection scheme. However his terms are that if she wants to live she must give up every part of her previous life – and that may be too much to ask.

Then, unexpectedly, Miller finds himself in a race against time to save the clients he has hidden away all across Europe. His clients are not always as grateful and obliging
Liz Barnsley
Bang on thriller, proper page turner, brilliantly written and top notch. My favourite from this author so far. By about a mile. And you know I QUITE liked the others.

Long Time Lost is what a proper thriller looks like.

Full review on 5th May for publication. Plus something a little extra.

Highly Recommended!
Kiran
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars

A 'meh' read, Long Time Lost has the plot of an action movie and the cat-and-mouse chase we'd expect to encounter, but the amount of enjoyment and thrill that is also expected is sadly absent.

Plot - The plot had me in-and-out of boredom, providing twists here and there that didn't have me gasping at all. It's oh so predictable and once I finished the book, I knew I wasn't going to ever pick it up again. Honestly, I liked the last 100 pages or so because I couldn't wait for the ending
L.A. Larkin
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reminiscent of Jack Reacher, a savvy, enthralling thriller.
The premise of Long Time Lost is a clever one: Nick Miller helps people disappear, setting them up with a new life and identity, because witness protection just doesn’t cut it when it comes to criminals like Connor Lane, who can find almost anyone. Kate Sutherland is the focus of Miller’s efforts throughout the story, and his relationship with her makes the thriller more than an intriguing crime-spy thriller, which it most certainly is.
Jaclyn
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book and I thought the storyline was going to be really exciting and I'd read through it so quickly because I was really into it. Unfortunately, the book was too long and had so much in it that it was almost exhausting to follow and keep up with. I wish it was better written and more to the point because the suspense was good, but the outside stuff was just too much and too long for my taste.
Nena Kelley
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
A quick read and the plot line had huge potential, but the writing came off very amateur. Lots of unnecessary detail and cardboard characters. The attraction and relationship between Miller and Kate seemed to happen out of nowhere and was not very believable.
linda hewett
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Isle of Man mention

Having read two other books by Chris Ewan I was excited to read this latest novel. It didn't disappoint. I particularly liked the way the author wrote about the different locations
Amanda
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
A truly thrilling thriller, with bullets, bodies and blood. I do question my appetite for such books, answering that it is the skill of the writer that keeps me hooked. Chris Ewan, you are a skilled writer and this was a good read.
Mary Connolly
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and about a subject I did not know too much about.
Philip Carman
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Extremely gripping. Got so involved in it, I had nightmares one night I was in witness protection and kept having to change identity.
Brian Palmer
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Luisa
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a gripping thriller which is hard to put down. I would just wish the character were a bit more relatable and in dimensional
Anne
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great characters and story line

Typical of the Chris Ewan books I've read, once you start it, you don't want to put it down. Grabbed me from the first chapter.
Malinda
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you decide to read this one just make sure you have a comfortable place to read in. It is a turn pager that I could not put down......
Raymond Rusinak
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quite an intriguing and enjoyable page turner. Highly recommended for your summer reading list.
Wes
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall a good read. Fast paced and with a few twists. However, there are some issues with the plot and the believability at times. Will not go into detail as might spoil the book for you.
Carol
Listened to as audio, it was good for a long car trip with lots of excitement. No literary value whatsoever.
Julie
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I found the plot a little twisted and hard to follow at times.
Mirlou
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is so much going on in this book that it is not a quick read but is easy to follow. My guess is that most readers will rush through it, but the writing style also makes it perfect for short stints of reading. Perfect for a holiday, long flight, or if you just want to escape into a great book.
Katharine Ott
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
"Long Time Lost" - written by Chris Ewan and published in 2017 by Minotaur Books. "It's like I told you at the beginning - there's no going back." Nick Miller is a self-appointed saver of those whose lives are in danger and this novel begins with him approaching a potential prosecution witness. "My scheme is privately run. Very discreet. Highly bespoke. I identify people at extreme risk and offer them an alternative option." I've always enjoyed premises like this and although my implausability v ...more
Stephanie
Feb 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time following this story and I lost track of the characters. I listened to the audiobook, and I think that might have contributed to it. I found myself zoning out a lot.
Gordon Mcghie
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Last year I really enjoyed Chris Ewan’s Dark Tides. It was a claustrophobic, atmospheric thriller. This year Chris brings us Long Time Lost and shows his skills on a much larger platform as this is a globetrotting action adventure. It is also a damn fine read!

Nick Miller is a man with secrets. He comes to the rescue of Kate Sutherland who narrowly avoids death when the witness protection scheme fails her. Kate places her trust in Nick to keep her safe until such time as she can get to court to t
Deborah
May 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I suspect (and hope) this novel by Chris Ewan will form part of a series. In fact, I kept wondering if I’d come in part-way through as some of the characters and their relationships were quite established. It was a tad confusing but all was eventually revealed and I think – if this does become a series, which I suspect it will – it will be a good one.

It offered up something new however and although I’m accustomed to privatised investigators (Suzanne Brockmann’s TroubleShooter series and Elizabet
Maria Z
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I started reading this book, I knew I wouldn't like it. Oh boy how wrong was I.
It's brilliant very well written and it keeps you hooked till the very end.
The reason I've docked a point from giving it a perfect five star rating is because of some discrepancies.
*SPOILERS AHEAD*
the woman who was killed in the airplane who murdered her? So what if she saw Melanie alive?? Why did she have to die for it? Did Nick kill her? But that wouldn't explain why the woman's family would take Nicks help?
Hilary Rowell
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Good but too long

I did enjoy this book although it has some major flaws. It is a good story and has enough sense of mystery and jeopardy to keep you reading. It is too violent for me at times, and this nudges the moments of tension too much towards nauseating. It is also about 100 pages too long, making the reader thoroughly sickened by the caricatured, one dimensional baddies 3/4 of the way through. The central characters Miller and Kate are too self absorbed to be sympathetic, but the sidekick

• A Dying Breed
  • Too Lucky to Live
  • Angel Meadow (DCI Tom Caton Manchester #10)
  • Light in a Dark House
  • Kalde hjerter (Varg Veum, #16)
  • The Sentinel (Vengeance of Memory, #1)
  • Gunshot Road (Emily Tempest, #2)
  • Katalysatormordet (K2 #3)
  • The Burning Gates (Makana, #4)
  • Alla fine di un giorno noioso
  • Synkkä niin kuin sydämeni
  • The Jump
  • The Agent Runner
  • A Madras Miasma (Superintendent Le Fanu Mystery, #1)
  • The Dark Inside
  • Calvin's Head
  • Furies
  • Cold Courage (Studio, #1)
Writing as C.M. Ewan, my latest thriller is A WINDOW BREAKS.

I'm also the author of the popular GOOD THIEF'S GUIDE TO ... series of mysteries about globetrotting crime writer and thief-for-hire, Charlie Howard. The series has been praised as "crime writing at its best" (Sydney Morning Herald) and a "delightful series" (The Seattle Times) and comprises THE GOOD THIEF'S GUIDE TO AMSTERDAM (winner of