Start by marking “House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)” as Want to Read:
House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)

House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  1,476 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Sector 221-G: For the whole of Federation history, this large area of space has been controlled by the Thallonians, a cruel, militaristic race of which little is knownexcept that they rule the other races in their sector with vicious iron hand.
Now the Thallonian Empire has collapsed and the systems it once ruled are in chaos. Old hatreds are surfacing. Petty tyrants contro
Mass Market Paperback, 168 pages
Published July 1st 1997 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about House of Cards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Cards

Alejandro
Indeed a new frontier in "Star Trek" franchise!

This is the 1st novel in the “Star Trek: New Frontier” book series.

FIRST PROSE STAR TREK SERIES

This novel was very important for the line of prose novels of Pocket Books about Star Trek.

Since before this, there were only prose novels about the original series and spin-offs aired on TV, however, Pocket Books made a strong bet giving green light to this idea by author, Peter David, one of the most popular writers in the franchise, to create a new
Libby
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
It’s amazing how the content of the story can make such a difference. A few years ago, I picked up Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David and did not like it at all. Apparently the story just did not appeal to my personal tastes because it certainly wasn’t the author. On recommendation of other Goodreads member I picked up Peter David’s Star Trek: New Frontier series and absolutely loved it! Story was fun, style was sharp and true to Trek universe, and there was a pleasantly surprising amount of ...more
Mary JL
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: die hard Star Trek fans only
As a former die-hard Star Trek fan who still enjoys a good story, I picked up the first four books of Peter David's "New Frntier" Star Trek spin-off. I was curious to see what was new.

NOt much. Bascially, the story is Star Trek--a few different characters but no major differences from any of the other TREK series. Not bad--but very average.

Recommended for die hard Star Trek fans only.
Lexxi Kitty
This is an interesting 'origin story' type of book for several of the crewmembers of the Star Trek spaceship. Little short stories about several, including the captain, science officer. Plus part of the story takes place on 'The Next Generation' version of the Enterprise, oh and Spock is around.

On the other hand - while there were some interesting stories here . . . there really wasn't much of a coherent whole novel here. Though I understand that this is a series and that this book here was 'set
Sean Randall
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The majority of authors I have read who have dealt with a Star Trek novel have treated the characters and universe itself with some semblance of reverence.

"What the hell kind of person was capable of sounding erudite while losing blood out of his face by the pint?"

Peter David seems intent on breaking this trend, with his combination of amusing asides and in-character sarcasm.

"please leave me to my work. This is a scientifically curious situation, and it takes precedence over the famed Thallonian
Steve
I eat this stuff like cotton candy. Should I be embarrassed by low brow fiction? Well, heck, I enjoy it. A guilty pleasure. This series started in 1997, and is a new captain, built off the TV shows. Next Generation and the first series characters are present. It's new built on the old. I ordered the next one.
Michael
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well-written, fast-paced and ends too soon (it is meant as a bit of serial fiction, so...)
Carol Gibson
This is a book series created by Peter David of a completely new ship and Captain there are some characters taken from The Next Generation. This book was all over the place as well as taking place through different times introducing Calhoun and some other characters as well as setting up the series. I felt it was rather boring in places and think it would have been better if they had started with the ship on its mission and told stories via flashback that might have made it more interesting to m ...more
Craig
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
This one obviously is laying groud work for the rest of the New Frontier series as it establishes what I would guess to be the crew of the Excalibur (the ship doesn't make an appearance). Giving back ground to some old characters and new ones this definitely has Peter David's style of being fast and loose with whichever Star Trek character he wants to and that's great. He does always seem to find a way to make the Star Trek universe come alive. I have to say I am hooked as the idea of their miss ...more
Ryan Case
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was really just a set up/introduction book. It isn't very long but does little more than set up another book to tell an actual story. It DOES introduce you to the main characters very well but that's about it. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Xavi Marturet
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novela
It's a good surprise to discover a new saga with characters of different previous Star Trek Lines, and at the same time, a good new line of adventures inside the ST Universe.
Peter David, a genious again, as always.
Matt Piechocinski
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Slow burn, but solid payoff about midway through ... harkens back to Executioner novels.
James Pittman
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The next chapter of Star Trek begins with Star Trek: New Frontier. Peter David weaves a tale worthy of Trekkies.
Tobias
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Die U.S.S Excalibur unter dem Kommando von Captain Calhoun wird in das zerfallende thallioanische Imperium geschickt. Überall herrscht Chaos. Es droht ein Krieg, der auch eine Gefahr für die Föderation werden kann. Die Excalibur soll versuchen das System zu stabilisieren und humanitäre Hilfe leisten.
Ein neuer Captain, eine neue Crew, ein neues Schiff, eine neue Serie im Star Univerum. Wie am Anfang jeden neuen Crew tauchen bekannte Gesichter auf: u.a. Spock und Jean Luc Piccard.
Das Buch ist span
The Pittman
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Captain MacKenzie Calhoun and the crew of the USS Excalibur begin their voyage into the final frontier in this amazing first New Frontier offering by Peter David. Good character development and powerful story plot.
Dan Quigley
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-trek-books
Title: House of Cards
Author: Peter David
Series: New Frontier, book one
Copyright Date: 1997
Number of pages: 168

This novel is the first in a new series concept developed by senior editor John J. Ordover and author Peter David called the New Frontier. It takes place in Sector 221-G, an area of space controlled for all of Federation history by a militaristic race called the Thallonians, of which little is known when this series starts. The Thallonians ruled the other races in their sector with a vic
Nick Armstrong
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: geek-reads
Not my favorite Trek.
Amy at Read What I Like
I received the first part of what could be the final book in this series from the publisher through Net Galley, not knowing it was part of a larger series. I did enjoy the book, review here, but felt like I was missing out on the chemistry between the characters. I decided to go back and start the series from the beginning as my first true venture into Trek fiction. Now I still feel like I am missing out on some character history, but I think this is probably still a good starting point for this ...more
Ian
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I actually read a handful of these back as a kid. I had just graduated from the kiddy section in the library and started pulling books from the genre rack, starting with everything Star Trek. I think I read every Trek book they had, expect for "Spock Must Die!", which looked too stupid for words.

I didn't recall much about these books, besides I thought they were pretty dumb, even for the time. And I was right, they are dumb, but now I'm old enough to appreciate them for just how dumb they are.

S
Jonathan Moss
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
I had heard of this series long ago and always wanted to give it a shot, but I could never find the first one. I finally got my hands on the first four original books, and I'm glad I did.

I really like the backstory for the characters and how it's presented. I find myself drawn to the characters and excited about what's to come.

I only have two gripes about the book.

First is the representation of the canon characters of Picard and Riker. While the essence of those characters is intact, they say th
Brian Lewis
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Overall, I enjoyed the book. David does a good job of setting up the overall flow of a story. The whole Thallonian Empire back plot is really interesting. The initial hopping around might confuse readers, but that's apparently how many of the New Frontier books start off.

The biggest flaw with the book, and the series, is the characters that he developed. Almost all of the characters in the book are far off in comic book land. Their motivations are extremely basic and almost sub-human. Even the b
Diego Calefato
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great book. Using The Next Generation as a launching platform, it introduces new characters and familiar members to an all new adventure. There is just enough back stories on new characters and a good amount of back up from The Enterprise Crew to keep the reader entertained and page turning. The unexpected humour between Will, Picard, Data, and Troi is well received and keeps it fresh even though it is halfway in the book. The character struggles, the coming to terms with identity loss, the fa ...more
Michael Keerdo-Dawson
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Peter David's bold attempt to create a new Star Trek series entirely from scratch is fun and an easy read.
This volume reads like the first act of a larger book. I enjoyed the extended character introductions and the ongoing situation is set up well but it ends just as the plot is about to get going - I guess this will be corrected by the second book.
A more serious criticism of this book would be its over-reliance on "guest" appearances from other Star Trek series which somewhat stifle the newe
Kim McGreal
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
I'd heard good things about the New Frontier series, so when I picked up this book, I had high hopes for it.

And I wasn't disappointed. Peter David, as always, has a writing style that immediately sucks me in, despite me having no idea who these characters were, and keeps me hanging on all the way through.

The only problem I had with it is that, in terms of being a Star Trek book, there is very little actual plot. I guess this is because it's the first in the new series and needs to set up the cha
RumBelle
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
Of all the Star Trek series I have read, this was the most odd beginning to a series. The first 50 or so pages was about Calhoun's young life. Then the middle 50 or so focused on other characters, and barely mentioned Calhoun at all. The last chunk of pages, brought him back, but only at the last five or so pages, and then you find out that this isn't even a self contained novel, the story continues. I really like Calhoun as a character, so I was disappointed as his lack of appearance (in a seri ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, fiction
This is a compelling start to the exploration of a new sector of space and a new set of characters, all already richly woven into the ST universe. In this particular volume, it's refreshing to get such a long look at life outside Starfleet. While the main character is more of a warrior than I'm usually drawn to, he has some complex potential. The central new female character of this book has captured my attention, and I hope to learn more about her. I have eagerly gone looking for the next books ...more
Paula
Mar 03, 2008 rated it liked it
This is your typical star trek novel in some ways, a spaceship filled with a variety of aliens and humans exploring space. However! one of the aliens is an androgen he/she (a combination of both male and female) So you might say, the first Gay/Lesbian character in a star trek series (even if this one is only in book form) also keep an eye on the female Vulcan (hint: there might be a possible love interest in the above character.
Azar
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
Wow. I'd heard that Mackenzie Calhoun was the definition of a Marty Stu, but I thought the people who told me that had to be exaggerating. They weren't--he even has the purple eyes! In spite of that, though, an enjoyable enough read--most of the supporting cast, at least that I've met so far, more than makes up for the, er, overaccomplished captain. *g* I was just annoyed to find out that the first few books all end on a cliffhanger!
Nathan Burgoine
May 28, 2015 rated it liked it
A "new" series in the Trek Universe, Peter David took a few characters from TNG, added a splash of his own characters, and began the "New Frontier" series.

Now, all that said, the first four books in this series are a little clunky to begin with. The inclusion of Shelby and Lefler keep a lot of it afloat, and the Dr. Selar is quite well done. The new characters need more time to warm up, but once they do, the series takes off.
Kathleen
Cameos from Spock and Picard--as well a numerous other Next Gen characters--introduce the cast of this series. However, that's all this book really is--an opening credit shot. This has the potential to be a well told story. Certainly the characters are all very interesting. But all that has really happened so far was introductions.

That said, everyone loves a good half-Vulcan half-Romulan.
Star Trek Reads: House of Cards, Peter David 4 14 Jan 04, 2015 07:10PM
  • The Fall of Terok Nor (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Millennium, #1)
  • Vectors (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation: Crossover
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)
  • Time's Enemy (Star Trek Deep Space Nine, #16; Invasion, #3)
  • The Lives of Dax
  • Ship of the Line (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek TNG: A Time to #1)
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • The Final Fury (Star Trek Voyager, #9; Invasion, #4)
  • The Big Game (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #4)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum
More about Peter David

Star Trek: New Frontier (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Into the Void (Star Trek: New Frontier, #2)
  • The Two Front War (Star Trek: New Frontier, #3)
  • End Game (Star Trek: New Frontier, #4)
  • Martyr (Star Trek: New Frontier, #5)
  • Fire on High (Star Trek: New Frontier, #6)
  • The Quiet Place (Star Trek: New Frontier, #7)
  • Dark Allies (Star Trek: New Frontier, #8)
  • Requiem (Star Trek: New Frontier, #9)
  • Renaissance (Star Trek: New Frontier, #10)
  • Restoration (Star Trek: New Frontier, #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“...They are merely scars, not mortal wounds and you must use them to propel you forward.” 11 likes