Start by marking “Liked: Whose Approval Are You Living For?” as Want to Read:
Liked: Whose Approval Are You Living For?

Liked: Whose Approval Are You Living For?

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
For many girls it starts early. The desire to be perfect. The need for approval. The longing for acceptance and being liked by a lot of people.

Thanks to social media, these desires now get channeled online. Girls can curate an image, build a following, and test-drive identities until they find one that draws attention and applause.

But in this quest to be liked and notice
Published November 15th 2016 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Liked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liked

Nathan Albright
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge2017
I would like to state at the outset for all who are not aware of it already that this book is not directed to thirty-something bachelor guys in any way, shape or form. With its profusion of pink colors, hearts, and its relentless focus on the famewhoremongering tendencies of selfie-taking amateur instagram models and the relentless pressures on teenage girls, this is a book squarely aimed at teen girls and their moms. As is the case with books of this type [1], I am likely one of the few men who ...more
Dianna
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely enjoy finding books that help girls deal with life. As a mom of three girls it’s refreshing to see that there are good books that have Biblical values and can help mom’s and dad’s raise their daughters to be confident in who God made them to be. It’s also a benefit when these materials offer encouragement in matters that today’s girls struggle with day in and day out. When you find those kinds of resources you want to share the word with all those who have daughters.

This book is one
Kasey Giard
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in part because my daughter is reaching the age where she wants to have social media profiles to connect with her friends, and I wanted to find some resources that outlined helpful strategies about how to do this safely and with as little drama as possible. This book really delivered.

Though it's aimed at girls and doesn't include direct parent resources, it's informative yet gentle and encouraging. Kampakis talks a lot about dealing with issues of insecurity and pursuing godline
Mazzou B
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it

''The deep ache inside of you that often masquerades as a desire for more friends, more attention, more invitations, or more acceptance is really an ache for God.'' -Liked: Whose Approval Are You Living For?

I had previously read the author's book 10 Ultimate Truths Girls Should Know, so was excited about this new publication. In fact, I think this book is even better than the author's first. Incredibly relevant to today's culture, this book uses the world of social media and relationships as exa
Diane Estrella
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
My 16 year old daughter's review:

With its ample stories and events that describe the life of being a tween/teenage girl in this day and age, Liked is a helpful and encouraging book that teaches young women about how they should see themselves and others while staying true to who they are. It's extremely easy to read with its positive tales and even some interesting quizzes that lead to a further insight on who the reader is and who they should be. While this book was made primarily for girls I f
Amy
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-reviews
I "liked" this book from the get-go! Having two daughters myself, I understand the pressures of being liked and fitting in. As a blogger, I understand the pressures of social media, gaining followers, and numbers. I also tend to be somewhat of a people pleaser. Yet, many days can end up lonely, when we find our worth in people, numbers, or how well we are "liked".

This book focuses on the importance of helping girls find their value in their identity in Christ and cultivating face to face friends
Donna L Martin
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Look all around you. Young girls are being bombarded with social messages to conform to a certain image and that pressure to conform is starting as soon as elementary school. Scantily dressed celebrities entice them to question their identities at an earlier age and the internet with all it's social sites are sometimes pressuring them into questionable behavior.

So where do parents turn when they want to help their young daughters make informed decisions about the choices they make?

That's where a
Anni Welborne
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Who doesn’t want to be liked? But for some, the desire to be liked or “liked” becomes an obsession…or even an idol. Social media has only compounded this desire and given even more outlets for exercising it. How many social media platforms are there now? I can’t keep up! This book addresses that desire in tween and teen girls, but truthfully, the lessons are true for anyone, whether in social media or in real life.

Kari Kampakis obviously understands tween/teen girls, and this shows clearly in he
Jonna
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Listened to the audio version to screen it for my daughters (11 and 9). The eleven year old is in middle school and is just starting to be exposed to social media influences. We've kept her out of that world so far, but we know the time is coming. This will be required listening or reading for both girls before getting any accounts. Nothing mind-blowing here for adults, but for a young girl, I think this is a great read to present the responsibilities associated with managing your online image a ...more
Inna Sukhinina
Jun 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was not what I thought it would be. It didn’t really teach my daughter anything and she could only relate to like two of the chapters!
Emma
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super empowering and great for all girls of any age
Tina Queary
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great study for my teenage girls discipleship group.
Joan
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
We all want to be liked. God made us to live in community and to need friends. But what about when our desire to be liked takes our eyes off of God? Kampakis challenges us to consider if we care more about what our friends think about us than what God knows about us.

She reminds us that the only audience that really matters is God. He is the One who loves us just the way we are. Our deepest desire to be known and loved can only be fulfilled by God.

Kampakis has good teaching for us, helping us und
JoJo Sutis
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a necessary book for moms and daughters. Our girls are growing up in a completely different world than we did and we must prepare ourselves to better understand and help our girls deal with th various pressures they will experience.

I currently teach a PreTeen/Teen Girls Bible Study at my church and am always on the lookout for great resources to grow as a leader and to help reach my girls with. Liked is one of those books that should be required reading for anyone working with g
Julius McCarter
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kari Kampakis' Liked: Whose Approval are You Living For? is honest about what we all desire -- we want to be liked. God made us to live in community and to need friends. But what about when our desire to be liked takes our eyes off of God? Kampakis challenges us to consider if we care more about what our friends think about us than what God knows about us.

She reminds us -- especially our teens -- that the only audience that really matters is God. God loves us as we are. Our deepest desire to be
Ubalstecha
Dec 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Not what I was looking for.
Via Bella
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this book and feel people of all ages can get something from it (even if written primarily for teens. Read the full review here http://bit.ly/likedbook
Rebecca Redman
rated it did not like it
Dec 08, 2017
Julie Arduini
Dec 08, 2016
Kari Kubiszyn Kampakis is a blogger, author, speaker, and newspaper columnist from Birmingham, Alabama.

Her bestselling books, 10 ULTIMATE TRUTHS GIRLS SHOULD KNOW and LIKED: WHOSE APPROVAL ARE YOU LIVING FOR?, have been used widely across the country by teen youth groups and small groups to empower girls through faith.

Kari’s work has been featured on The Huffington Post, TODAY Parents, and other