Start by marking “Cherish: The One Word That Changes Everything for Your Marriage” as Want to Read:
Cherish: The One Word That Changes Everything for Your Marriage

Cherish: The One Word That Changes Everything for Your Marriage

“Most marriages survive by gritting teeth and holding on. But marriages can and will not only survive but thrive when husbands and wives learn to cherish one another.”

Those are the powerful words of bestselling author Gary Thomas in his newest book—Cherish. And in a world desperate for marriage redemption, it is needed now more than ever.

Thomas shows that although there ar
Published January 10th 2017 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about Cherish, please sign up.
Emily The author is a Christian and so the advice in this book is based on the bible. I think the bible is true whether you're a Christian or not, and I…moreThe author is a Christian and so the advice in this book is based on the bible. I think the bible is true whether you're a Christian or not, and I think you can learn some good things from it no matter where you stand. So go for it! I also hope that it gives you a glimpse of the kind of love Jesus has for us, and the kind of healthy & happy relationships he wants for us. (less)
LaJuana The risk for a spouse reading a book like this alone is that it can lead to discontentment with the shortfall of the other spouse rather than to…moreThe risk for a spouse reading a book like this alone is that it can lead to discontentment with the shortfall of the other spouse rather than to motivation to improve your own contribution to the marriage. If you can focus on your own role in the marriage, I think the book has rich potential for the spouse who reads it, whether or not the other spouse reads the book. Many of the ideas can be brought up in non-confrontational conversations, as well, thereby allowing married couples to discuss the ideas even though only one has read the book.(less)

Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The inherent power of the concept of Cherish and the masterful communication skills of Gary Thomas combine to make this a must-read for anyone interested in understanding marriage as it is meant to be. Everyone wants to be and benefits from being cherished- it lifts, strengthens and enriches us to be honored, valued, and treated as precious. And the beauty and mystery of learning to cherish is that as it creates joy, fulfillment and happiness, it also brings forth an increased desire to cherish. ...more
Mike Rizzo
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you think back to when you first met your husband or wife, you most likely understand what it means to cherish. As Gary says, “You learn how to cherish your spouse by studying them, listening to them, and finding out who they are.” The excitement and energy experienced when your heart connected to that "special one" most likely contained a portion of all of the above components. As a husband, thirty-seven years in, I can really relate to this quote: “As life changes, so will your spouse. Ther ...more
Angela Gifford
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cherish is the marriage book that just might eliminate the need for other marriage books. Gary hits the target of why we struggle, challenging our understanding of the gospel core of our marriages. "When you feel cherished by God, it follows that you want to cherish others." Cherish is the missing element in good marriages that want to be great, and struggling marriages that want to thrive.This will be one you read over and over.
Jeanie
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My dove, my perfect one, is the only one. Song of Solomon 6:9 Another way to put it is that the call to cherish isn't to appreciate being pleasured by your spouse but to take pleasure in the pleasure of your spouse. To cherish is to be filled with joy not because your spouse brings you but because you take joy in your spouse's joy. The power to cherish begins with understanding the gospel message of "the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior" who saved us "not because of any works of ri ...more
Rebekah
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Even though this book took me months to finish, it really was a great read! Aside from a few things I didnt like (various Bible versions and some Scriptural applications that may not be entirely accurate) here is what I liked about this book:
•It's so practical!! I did not have to wonder "how do I apply this?". Everything Gary Thomas wrote seems so do-able!
•Each chapter begins with a story/real life example which he continues throughout the chapter to teach the next concept of cherishing your spo
Lianna Scott
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Cherish" is an amazing book that will show you how to enrich, enhance and strengthen your marriage. We say "To Love and To Cherish" when we marry... but this book actually SHOWS you how to live those words out! This book "Cherish" is a vital tool for any marriage - no matter how long you have been married - everyone needs this book.
Charity
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A long-time fan of Gary Thomas' writing and his ability to communicate in a refreshingly honest way, I was very excited to receive a free digital copy of Cherish as a part of the launch campaign. I'm so grateful for this opportunity to review it and share the news of this wonderful book with others! I love books that both encourage and challenge -- Cherish is one of those books for me!

I was encouraged by the reminder that God intends for us to not only love our spouse through anything but to DEL
Michele Morin
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Your Marriage: From Disappointing to Delightful

Wood stoves do not render their comforting warmth without regular tending. Fires must be coaxed along with frequent ministrations, and I never give this much thought — unless my good husband is away, for he miraculously tends to this important detail, and our house stays cozy and warm. Similarly, since the beginning of our marriage, he has changed the oil in our vehicles, paid our bills, balanced the checkbook, and locked the doors every night, leav
Sophie I.
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed reading Cherish and applying much of the practical advice Gary Thomas offers up in this book. Thomas gives excellent ways to shift our perspectives on our spouses in order to look at them as a God given gift and worthy of being cherished as such. Through his examples, advice, and convicting truths, he teaches how to fall in love with our spouses all over again and to enjoy our role in cherishing them. I highly recommend this book and will continue to use it continually myself as ...more
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marriage
This is a must read for married couples. Especially those that have been married for a little while. Sacred Marriage and Lifelong Love were excellent books but this is by far my favorite. I plan on purchasing several more copies as anniversary gifts.
Kalena
Christian living/marriage. Gary Thomas is an author I enjoy and this book is no exception. Practical ideas, encouraging stories, and biblical truth in how to cherish. This book gave me inspiration and hope. What more could you ask for? Highly recommend.
Brian Pinson
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was happy with how Gospel-centered the book was. At times the scenarios presented seemed too idealistic but the author addressed this and challenged the reader to pursue instead of accepting the alternative. Glad I read this one.
Sarah Hartfield
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!!
Jaimie
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Let's be honest that even with the best intentions, marriage can sometimes feel more like a chore than a delight. We all find ourselves asking questions like: What if you love someone, but don't always like them? Or, what happens if you find daily circumstances draining the life of your marriage away? Is there hope for these marriages, and how do you kindle a flame that will burn brightly for a lifetime? These are questions that can't be answered with just another 'Date Night', which seems to be ...more
Crystal Storms
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cherish is the next step beyond love. I loved the reminder that we are uniquely created and will feel cherished differently. Favorite quote: "Your husband is who he is; your wife is who she is. Find out who that person is, and cherish that person as they desire to be cherished."
Marie
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gary Thomas’ new book, Cherish: The One Word That Changes Everything for Your Marriage, comes out tomorrow! (I was privileged to read an advance watermarked pdf.) Author of the best marriage books I’ve ever read, Gary Thomas succeeds again in directing hearts and minds, teaching men and women to see their spouses as “my Eve/my Adam”, and showcasing what delight and honor can do in a marriage.

Like a marriage coach, Gary focuses us on the goal, a beautiful marriage where not just love but also ch
Kevin Hozak
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this, it seemed so-so. I didn't think it would compare with Gary Thomas's other books, most of which I loved. But after I got about a third of the way, the content became more interesting and relevant. In the end, it gave me a number of ideas to pause and think about. I have a fresh perspective on marriage and cherishing my wife that I look forward to seeing shape my life in the new year.
Heather
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book! Such a valuable reminder of how God cherishes us so we can cherish one another. Hope this book becomes deeply etched into my soul!
Jen
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not married, but I heard Gary Thomas preach based off of this book one Sunday, and we were all extremely captivated. It's beneficial for relationships and not just marriages!
Marisa
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book by Gary Thomas!! I have read four of his other books and this one did not disappoint!

As Gary Thomas noted, cherish is part of our wedding vows and yet it is a word that is not focused on or perhaps even well understood. However, as the subtitle states, it is the one word that can change your marriage! While reading the book I was, enlightened, affirmed, encouraged, challenged, and even admonished regarding my level of cherishing in my marriage and am thankful for the opportuni
Savio Sebastian
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Christina
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really great book for me and much needed reminders of what Cherish looks like in marriage and why its necessary to work and grow in it. I know that my husband is the only man in the world for me but I get lazy and forget to treat him the right way and show him. I don't want to battle him or try to win but work together and try to be the best at cherishing him as he is with my words, actions and heart. God's power is necessary for this in marriage and asking the Spirit to fill me and motivate me. ...more
Will O'kelley
My wife and I finished this book a few months before our 5 year anniversary. It was such a timely encouragement and reminder of all that marriage can and should be. We listened to the audiobook on several date nights, and I highly recommend this, as it allows you to pause the audio and reflect on your relationship with your spouse. Furthermore, Gary Thomas, the author of Cherish, narrates the audiobook with passion and sincerity that are obvious and infectious. I would recommend Cherish to anyon ...more
Lucas
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thomas paints a picture of what a perfect gospel marriage looks like and it is tear jerking and inspiring and beautiful. Although it seems obvious to talk about perfection, marriage books seldom do. They talk about coping with what is, not about creating perfection. If Tom Brady was able to write a book that unlocked the secrets to becoming a great quarterback and anyone who read it would become as great as him, everyone and their mom would read that book. Thomas does that with this book. He use ...more
Kelli
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow.

This book was beautiful and convicting and instructive and thought-provoking. It came at a time in my marriage when I needed to show I cherished my husband and shower him with grace more than any other time in our short 3 years of marriage. It opened my eyes to the things I wasn't doing to show him I cherished him and the things I was doing that did not align with this mission.

This book was a game changer for me and I am so excited for my husband to read it next and to recommend it to other
Melissa
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book really opened my eyes to several things.
One: I am really cherished by my husband. He does a wonderful job of showing me that.
Two: I’m really bad at cherishing my husband.
A few quotes really grabbed me were: “…but what does it mean to cherish our spouse? Is that word just an add-on? Why do we say it once at the wedding and then rarely even mention it again?”
This one too: “You can honor someone without cherishing them, but you can’t cherish someone with honoring them. When you fail
Jason Green
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marriage
We say it in our vows, "to love and to cherish". But what does it mean cherish our spouse? What does it mean to cherish anything?

Think of a man who gets that dream car he always wanted? Does he drive it and treat it like a rental? Of course not! He babies it. He protects it. He cares for it. He goes out of his way to ensure nothing happens to it. And he showcases or shows it off.

Men, isn't that what we should do with our wives? Protect her. Care for her. Ensure nothing happens to her. Show her o
Colleen
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book is excellent. I borrowed it from the library but I plan to purchase a copy. I was very tempted to mark several thoughts from this excellent book.

So many takeaways, I will narrow it down to 4:

God cherishes an imperfect person like me, and He is more than capable of helping me cherish an imperfect spouse.

Cherishing your spouse is a choice, and it grows over time. It's never too late to begin to cherish your spouse.

Each marriage is unique. Similar to love languages, your spouse m
Vince Greenwald
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of good marriage books, but this one has by far shaped the way I look at and treat my wife more than any other. With so many books out there focused on maintaining a decent marriage or rescuing a disastrous one, this one is all about how to have a fantastic marriage, how to truly cherish your spouse just as much in year 40 as one that wedding day. Thomas walks through what it means when a couple vows to "love and to CHERISH," what makes it so often ignored, and yet how it can mak ...more
James Tetley
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-books
Awesome audiobook. A topic that I needed to hear and learn more about as it formed part of marriage vows!!!!

To have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part.

Its the first Gary Thomas I have read on marriage, and I will read more. He has some briliant observations on what cherishing looks like. And now they just need to be put into practise!! One of the most helpful observations was tea
  • The Most Important Year in a Woman's Life/The Most Important Year in a Man's Life: What Every Bride Needs to Know / What Every Groom Needs to Know
  • A God-Sized Vision: Revival Stories That Stretch and Stir
  • Bones of Contention: A Creationist Assessment of the Human Fossils
  • Expository Exultation: Christian Preaching as Worship
  • Romancing Your Better Half: Keeping Intimacy Alive in Your Marriage
  • The Gospel for Muslims: An Encouragement to Share Christ with Confidence
  • What's It Like to Be Married to Me?: And Other Dangerous Questions
  • Praying God's Word for Your Husband
  • Fun Loving You: Enjoying Your Marriage in the Midst of the Grind
  • The Best Things in Life: A Contemporary Socrates Looks at Power, Pleasure, Truth & the Good Life
  • Big Truths for Little Kids
  • One Thing You Can't Do in Heaven
  • The Seven Laws of Love: Essential Principles for Building Stronger Relationships
  • Happily Ever After: Six Secrets to a Successful Marriage
  • The Passionate Mom: Dare to Parent in Today's World
  • The Root of the Righteous
  • The Macarthur Study Bible: New American Standard Bible
  • Be Committed (Ruth & Esther): Doing God's Will Whatever the Cost (The BE Series Commentary)
Gary Thomas’ writing and speaking focuses on bringing people closer to Christ and closer to others. He is the author of 18 books that have been translated into over a dozen languages. These books include Cherish, Sacred Marriage: What if God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy?. The Sacred Search: What If It’s Not About Who You Marry, but Why?, Sacred Pathways, and the Gol ...more