Start by marking “Irish Imbas: Celtic Mythology Collection” as Want to Read:
Irish Imbas: Celtic Mythology Collection

Irish Imbas: Celtic Mythology Collection

Over the past centuries, many of the most important Celtic cultural narratives and tales have been relegated to the status of children’s stories or cartoonish caricature, misunderstood and misinterpreted for as long as most of us can remember.

This collection by a new wave of contemporary authors hauls Celtic stories out of the dusty shadows and with succinct mythological a
Published March 2016 by Irish Imbas Books

To ask other readers questions about Irish Imbas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irish Imbas

Start your review of Irish Imbas: Celtic Mythology Collection
Sandra Lee
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite kind of book. One that goes back to the beginning and hits the points of how and where the myths and legends began.
Valerie
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and very good.

While the stories are short, they are all well written and interesting. Nice to have modern tales with hints of past mythology coming through
Chris The Story Reading Ape
Worth reading.

An interesting series of short stories, based on points of view different from the usual interpretations of various tales from Irish Celtic Legends, followed by informative commentaries by Brian O’Sullivan.
Plus, a bonus extract from his book, FIONN: Defence of Ráth Bládhma.
Petrina Binney
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are stories from ancient Celtic culture, but revamped for a modern audience of readers. I loved the stories - some of which I’d already heard of, The Salmon of Knowledge, The Children of Lir, and I loved reading about the legend of the Selkie and the misunderstanding of Fairies.

The writing was beautiful and poetic, very touching, I really enjoyed it.

The shorts conclude with a short section about writing competitions, and a whole heap of reviews and testimonials which I found rather tiresom
S.L. Baron
Jan 06, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5 overall for me.

Technically, I didn’t finish this book, but I finished the 37% that was what I thought it was—a collection of short stories based on Irish myths and legends.

I enjoyed the modern takes on the myths of fairies, selkies, and other Irish tales as well as the history behind these and the editor’s experiences growing up with them.

The remaining 63% of this book is an excerpt from Brian O’Sullivan’s novel, which I didn’t read because I was anticipating a longer short story collection.
T
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first 30% of this book was fantastic - and worthy of 4.5 stars. Sadly the remaining 70% (minus an interesting bit about the writing competition) was all self-promotion and other books from the author. Had the entire book been what the first 30% was this would have been a much higher rating.

If I wanted adverts, I’d look on a publishers website, and if I wanted to read an extract - I’d find one elsewhere!

That said, it’s tickled my interest in mythology - so I will certainly be looking for alte
Ryan
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice, short little read that takes several classic elements of Celtic folklore and presents them in a more modern context. It was a highly enjoyable read, and O'Sullivan adds explanations of the traditional legends associated with each story, which makes it a highly accessible one as well. ...more
Sharkie
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know where my desire to read folklore came from; but this is where it ended up, and it didn't disappoint in the slightest. These Celtic tales are just a nice, simple read, while learning about Celtic mythology.
I highly recommend.
selene
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love Irish mythology and the Fae
This was a beautiful short story collection. I was pleasantly surprised about this short story collection because it was completely free as an e-book in Barnes & Noble so please go and read it!
This contains five short stories (title,author,:myth) after each story Brian O' Sullivan provides a little summary of the myth that inspired the story.

1. Hawthorne Close by Sighle Meehan : The Faeries

'A Mainland Mansie Meur' by Sheelagh Russell-Brown  4☆
'In a Small Pond' by  Marc McEntegart 3☆
'Lir' by Coral Atkinson 3☆
'Transit Hours' by Marie Gethins 2☆

Due to valuable 'Mythological Context' provided by Brian O’Sullivan after each story this books gets 4☆ from myself.

'Extract from FIONN: Defence of Ráth Bládhma' not accounted in rate
Jessica Lucci
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Irish Imbas: Celtic Mythology Collections Book 1" is half folklore, half history. The author tells the tales of ancient Celts while remaining true to the original flavours. Each story is accompanied by an explanation or description of how the story came to be, how it was passed down through generations and cultures, and how important the origins are to the story.

It was interesting to me to discover the origins of these lost classics.
Sean
This book offers several short stories firmly based in old Irish myth and legend, with all the wonder and none of the gooey Celtic Twilight. Good stuff! But there's more! Each story is accompanied by a very short essay which provides the context that we modern non-Irish folk would not know Very well done. ...more
Abi
May 27, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the modern retelling of the folklore and fairytales that were chosen. Overall they were well-written, and the explanation following each story about traditional beliefs/representations were interesting. But most of the book was devoted to the "bonus material," which wasn't why I picked up this book. ...more
Mallory Dowd
Don't judge this book by its cover. This is a marvelous collection of Irish folk tales grounded in contemporary life, giving the reader an experience akin to that of the ancestors who heard them so long ago. Very well-written and highly engaging, with notes on context accompanying each story that help to better understand the significance of the lore. ...more
Mindy
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Folk lore

Good overview of Celtic folklore with historical explanations provided. Not for the Casual reader, this book includes extensive historical information mixed with folk lore.
Shannon Edwards
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short, modern folk tales

Well-written and interesting if you want to dip your toe into Celtic myth. This is a great read. Highly recommend.
Beth
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining.
Curt
Apr 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative as well as entertaining. The only problem was, and I knew it going into the book, was that all of the stories are very short stories which I normally don't like ...more
Emma Que
intriguing collection of shorts

a brief exploration of Celtic mythology that introduces a few central stories and concepts to its audience in the form of short tales
Bill Ramsell
This series has a good premise. Modern tales featuring Celtic mythology.

I enjoyed the tales, but more than half of the book was ads and previews for the editors own novels! That's right, more than HALF.

It's a great idea to try to bring the folklore of the Celts to a wider audience, but maybe stick to that script a little better?
Ali Bell
I enjoyed the reading and learned a few things that could serve me in my writing. It left me thirsty for more, like a teaser. Perhaps this was done on purpose for marketing reasons.
R Varadarajah
I expected it to be based on older myths - but it gave a modern twist to the old myths
Teri Stich
Loved the first section and the last, the middle bothered me.
emma schaefer
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not just your usual mythology book

This is actually a collection of short stories inspired by Celtic folklore, written by contemporary Celtic authors. Brian O'Sullivan goes to "clarify" its mythological roots and also demystify the mutation that the original myths and beliefs went through over the centuries. I loved the twists and changes of perspective in the modern stories. Definitely would recommend to readers with any kind of genre affiliation.
Teruru
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice mixture of fiction and on-fiction. The book was shorter than I'd expected but still packed an emotional and intellectual wallop. ...more
Ceri Almrott
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Celtic Mythology: A Concise Guide to the Gods, Sagas and Beliefs
  • Vikings: A Concise History of the Vikings
  • Caesar: The Life and Death of Julius Caesar
  • Suddenly Psychic (Glimmer Lake, #1)
  • Opium and Absinthe
  • Cinderella
  • Die Standing (Star Trek: Discovery, #7)
  • The Last Run (Queen & Country, #3)
  • People of the Silence (North America's Forgotten Past, #8)
  • A Dance of Shadows (Shadowdance, #4)
  • 131 Days (131 Days, #1)
  • Little White Secrets
  • The Eva Rae Thomas Mystery Series: Book 1-2 (Eva Rae Thomas Mysteries)
  • Polish Fairy Tales
  • Betwixt (Betwixt & Between #1)
  • The Fire Prince (The Cursed Kingdoms, #2)
  • Private Wars (Queen & Country, #2)
  • Spike Milligan: Man of Letters
Brian O'Sullivan was born in county Cork, Ireland. On completing a degree at University College Cork, he went on to travel extensively. He is now based in New Zealand with his family but returns to Ireland on a regular basis.

Brian writes fiction that incorporates strong elements of Irish culture, language, history and mythology. These include literary short stories (The Irish Muse collection), my