Start by marking “The 13th Hex (Hexworld, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The 13th Hex (Hexworld, #0.5)

The 13th Hex (Hexworld 0.5)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  1,083 Ratings  ·  197 Reviews
Romance. Magic.
Murder.

Dominic Kopecky dreamed of becoming a member of New York’s Metropolitan Witch Police—a dream dashed when he failed the test for magical aptitude. Now he spends his days drawing the hexes the MWP relies on for their investigations.

But when a murder by patent hex brings crow familiar Rook to his desk, Dominic can’t resist the chance to experience mag
Published April 5th 2016 by Widdershins Press LLC (first published August 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The 13th Hex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 13th Hex

Ingela
Review written May 14, 2016

3 Stars - Just a short series-teaser. I'm on!

Book #0.5

BR weekend with Sofia: Ms. Hawk's new HR-para M/M series 'Hexworld'. We start with reading this short teaser novella and continue with the recently published first book #1-Hexbreaker. — YAY! Big hopes for a good new great JLH adventure series.

*********************************************

Dominic Kopecky is a ordinary pen-pusher drawing hexes (a hexman) for investigations at New York’s Metropolitan Witch Police (MWP
Heidi Cullinan
So, I loved this story except I also HATED IT because it was so short and I wanted this book to last forever. Okay, no. I loved it full stop, I can't hate it, but I am so sad because I just loved these guys. I'm going to reread it endlessly because I love everything about Rook and want to read his life with Dominic serialized. "Dominic and Rook fetch milk." I'll read it.

Currently lobbying Ms. Hawk for a full Rook/Dominic novel. Please join me.
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
Even Jordan L. Hawk's short stories impress and enthrall me. Fangirls gonna fangirl, I guess.

The 13th Hex is very short, yes, but it is also very entertaining. And sweet. And a whole lot of fun. As usual, Hawk has created an intriguing world of magic and mayhem, and I can't wait to read more.

And I mean that literally because I'm starting Hexbreaker as soon as I post this review.
Em
Oh dear, this is a difficult one. I'm a huge fan of Jordan L. Hawk and was itching to start on this series but I'm not totally into these guys yet. I'm not a huge fan of instant attraction and everything felt a bit rushed BUT I can see the huge potential and hopefully Hexbreaker will win me over. Fingers crossed!
Nerea

Gaslights and candles era, magic, shifters, mystery and love story !!!! My cup of tea!
This novella is beautiful and I think is pretty useful as introduction to the hexword universe. To know a bit of how the witches police department work, the bond between witches and familiars (the shifters) and the hexs!

Dying to start Hexworld!! :”)
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Short introduction to what I am sure is going to be quite the interesting world.
Sofia

A good start - going to continue.

Read with Ingela
Pixie
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Pixie by: Wart Hill
Short 50 page intro to a series. I thought it did what something this short should do which was peak my interest. I read it based on a review & would read the next. I think JLH writes characters that for some reason I find instantly likable. I root for them even if I’m not entirely sure why.
Kaje Harper
Cute, light and short introduction to the world of a new series.
Richard Derus
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindled
Rating: 3.5* of five

A perfectly fine story. I like Rook a lot, but am less enamored of Dominic Kopecky. I just wanted a toe-dip into the world of the series before committing myself to it. This short tale was enough to allow me to get the sense of what Author Hawk was planning...a New York City imbued with magical energy that expresses itself via pseudoscientific means...to see if this could keep my soap-opera lovin' story-slurpin' soul from parching into dust. I mean, Whyborne & Griffin is
Ami

I thought the combination of witches, familiars, and non-magical officer like hexmen was interesting set-up. I enjoyed that part most definitely. However, the 'mystery' was just okay, and it was solved quickly. It didn't have the complex and complete world-built feel like Lou Harper's story. Plus everything between Dominic and Roox also happened pretty fast in a kind of 'soulmate / soulbond' kind of manner (which not always a favorite trope of mine)

PS: Review originally written for Char
Tara♥
"This is awful." Cicero complained, wringing his sodden clothing. "I'm not your friend anymore, Rook."

"I've some fresh cream back in the barracks."

"Fine." Cicero tossed his head. "I might reconsider. After the cream."

From the second Cicero appeared on page I was in love.

Jordan L. Hawk builds worlds like a BOSS!!

This short is about Rook (a crow) and Dominic (a Hexmaker) and it is an absolutely wonderful introduction to the Hexworld. Witches and Familiars. Magic and Hexes. I'm hooked.

Jewel
3.5

I wish it had been longer, but it was a lovely intro to the series!
Suki Fleet
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Very, very neat. Nicely done short story^^
Bev

3.5 rounded up to 4 stars for this little novella, the precursor to the new Hexworld series by Jordan. This story first appeared in Charmed and Dangerous: Ten Tales of Gay Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy, and I enjoyed it then. I have a very good feeling about the new series, a very good feeling indeed.
Pavellit Off
I'd almost missed this short prequel of the great JLH adventure series. Just a little caprice of mine- everything between Dominic and Roox happened a bit faster then I'd love to. Nevertheless, this magical energy is there. Also, the world of witches, their familiars and hexmakers. An absolute joy!
Eugenia
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced short. 4 Stars.

A great prequel to the Hexworld series, or refresher before reading #2. Like always, Jordan L. Hawk creates characters that are unique and you want to get to know better.
Cadiva
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
My only complaint - it's too short!

I've never read a Jordan Hawk book before but she keeps cropping up on my feed and my recommended reading lists so I figured I'd give this one a go and I'm glad I did.

While this is incredibly short, it serves as a wonderful introduction to this new setting, a sort of steampunk imagining of New York which rather had a feel of Dickensian London to its alleyways, steeps and carriages.

While there was a bit of insta love, I'm reading it with the view of a bonding ty
Lilia Ford
I always appreciate these shorts, especially when they fill out intriguing worlds like Hawk's, but I do find it hard to know the right measures for evaluating them. Though this story is billed as a prequel, I read this after the first two books, which may be why I mostly found it disappointing. Rook is definitely one of the more colorful side characters in the novels and there are plenty of hints that his relationship with Dominic was full of fireworks, so I was really surprised at how bland Dom ...more
Michelle (Sherbet Lemon)
I enjoyed this story, though not as much as I was hoping. Still it was an enjoyable read and I had no complaints. It was a short story but it also felt rushed, like I would have preferred this couple got their own fully fleshed out story. C'est la vie.
Don Bradshaw
A great beginning to hopefully a great series. There's a little bit of everything in this short, magic, romance, a murder case, corruption and familiars that shift. Much like Ms Hawk's other series, there are plot twists and just plain fun in this prize.
Beth doesn't write  enough reviews
A tasty tidbit!

A great start to a new series.

It is very short but it feels fleshed out and gives a small taste of how the series will go.
Jules Lovestoread
So. Freaking. Cool.

Gah - I love this new world. And, I would read more of Dominic and Rook right now!

More, please. :) <333333
Daphne
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-read, 2016-books
A quirky little short that introduces the world of hex makers, witches and familiars. Although short, this story packed a lot in to the length. I like it!
Santy
2.5 Stars

This was a short short short prequel to Hexbreaker in the Hexworld series.

This was short so I dint really want to overanalyze it. I'll just say that i liked it.

It was about how Rook and Dominic from Hexbreaker met and became witch and familiar.It didn't give me enough satisfaction and I would've loved at least 20 more pages to give it more flavour but alas it wasnt to be!

All in all good start to the series.
Wandering Reader
Originally read as part of the Charmed & Dangerous anthology, the initial story of a wonderful series.
Shelby
I loved this introduction to this series (I know there's another book out for it already). I was enthralled with the way the world was established and Dominic captured my heart right away with his earnest nature. I love Rook's passion to find the truth. Such a good beginning to a series I'm now super excited to dig into reading. I liked the way magic and practitioners were divided up. It's an interesting spin on the genre. Just enough intrigue to keep the short interesting and believably throw R ...more
Wart Hill
Ah Jordan L. Hawk!

I can always rely on one of her books to make me smile :)

sweet relationships, lovely characters...

I felt like the mystery in this short was a bit rushed, but it is a very short piece so I guess that's understandable.

I love Rook and Dominic. Especially Rook...

Though Hawk continues her tendency to have characters who refuse to actually communicate with each other and instead rely on assumption and thus fuck shit up...

yet I still love every one of her books, despite the formulaic
Lisa
An interesting little story setting the scene for what I think will be another series.
Not my usual type of thing, historical and fantasy but I enjoyed this into.
Dominic is a hex maker after having been told he had failed his magic exam and wasn't a witch.
Rook, a familiar, a crow, is a policeman but because he was yet unbinded to a witch is stuck doing paperwork.
As this was only 53 pages the story progressed quickly and I loved that.
I will continue reading this series.
The Novel Approach Reviews
4.5 Stars ~ If you haven’t had the chance to read the Charmed & Dangerous anthology yet, then you haven’t had the chance to meet Rook and Dominic. Having read Jordan L. Hawk’s The 13th Hex as part of that collection, I can say without hesitation that it was a standout amongst all the other stories in the anthology—a story that, after I’d finished it, my first thought was, I need more of these characters and this world in my life. Having just read it a second time in preparation for the relea ...more
  • A Queer Trade (Rag and Bone, #0.5)
  • Behind the Eight Ball (Fur, Fangs, and Felines, # 2)
  • Secrets
  • Charmed and Dangerous
  • Spell Bound
  • Belligerent Beta (Pack Partners #2)
  • Dipping His Pen in the Office Ink
  • How to Walk like a Man (Howl at the Moon #2)
  • Impact Ripples
  • Love Rising
  • The Best Ever
  • Red River (Pack, #2)
Jordan L. Hawk grew up in the wilds of North Carolina, where she was raised on stories of haints and mountain magic by her bootlegging granny and single mother. After using a silver knife in the light of a full moon to summon her true love, she turned her talents to spinning tales. She weaves together couples who need to fall in love, then throws in some evil sorcerers and undead just to make sure ...more
More about Jordan L. Hawk

Hexworld (3 books)
  • Hexbreaker (Hexworld, #1)
  • Hexmaker (Hexworld, #2)
  • Hexslayer (Hexworld, #3)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)