Start by marking “A Mess of a Man (Cruel & Beautiful, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Mess of a Man (Cruel & Beautiful, #2)

A Mess of a Man

(Cruel & Beautiful #2)

From USA TODAY BESTSELLING authors of Cruel and Beautiful, A.M. Hargrove and Terri E. Laine bring a new full-length standalone New Adult Contemporary Romance. This novel includes mature content, not suitable for younger readers. (Rated R)

Womanizer, Man Whore, Player, Heartbreaker are all familiar names Ben Rhoades has been called. He prefers the nicknames Money Man or Sex
Published March 21st 2016 by Wicked Truth Publishing, LLC (first published March 13th 2016)

Sabrina
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
NOW LIVE!!!
*Amazon US*Barnes & Noble*iBooks*

I previously read Cruel & Beautiful by these authors, and though I had some issues with it and only ended up rating it 2.5 Stars, I liked the way it was written so I decided to give these authors another go. I am ecstatic that I did because I ended up loving this story.

Ben Rhoades isn't the type of guy that typically sticks around for more than a one night stand, and it he does it definitely isn't for a relationship. But then he see's Samantha
Olga therebelreader
5+ Messy stars

A Mess of a Man was amazing! I loved it!! The road to true love is never smooth and Ben and Samantha’s relationship takes some pretty hard beatings in this book. This book deals with a lot of issues that is common in everyday life, such as loss, love, loneliness, depression, desire, passion, strong family and friendship bonds and grief.

After one year, Ben Rhoades is still getting over the death of his best friend. He’s steered clear of serious relationships, but when he meets lovel
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
3.5 - 4 ★'s

I knew going in to this book that there was no way it could live up to Cruel & Beautiful and I was okay with that. I was just hoping that we wouldn't have to deal with as much intensity and thankfully, we didn't.

The story is about Ben, Drew's best friend and Jenna's brother, and Sam. They met at a grocery store in the produce department and it's lust at first sight. Ben is a definite manwhore and Sam is just not that type of girl. The problem is that Ben does not do relationship
Francoise
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2016-reads
4.5 Stars !

AM. Hargrove and Terri E. Laine have done it again and have delivered another heartfelt story that held my attention from start to finish ! A Mess Of a Man is a an amazing and beautiful love story between two persons who are meant to be together. I felt that this book evoked so many true emotions, including ugly and happy tears ! So be prepared with a few tissues !

This book is the sequel to the authors’ previous book “Cruel and Beautiful”. It can be read as a standalone, but I would a
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
A Mess of A Man could not be a more accurate title for this book. Ben Rhoades was more than a mess. He lost his childhood best friend from cancer and hasn’t been able to recover. He also seems to have never gotten over a heartbreak from his teenage years. Mix the two together and he’s not a nice guy. He treats women horribly. He drowns his sorrow in booze and women, just coasting through life and you will not like him. I can see where some people will want to put the book down and not finish. Th ...more
Vasiliki
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
4.5 stars!!!!

ARC kindly provided by Red Coat PR via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review

This is the story of Sam and Ben, two persons who have dealt with loss!

This book was really nice! I really liked the plot and the characters in this story! The writing was really strong and to the point! I was touched on so many different levels, I even cried a couple of times! It was a real roll coaster of emotions! The book was written from Ben's and Sam's POV and it was changing during the story.
Tana
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Mess of a Man by A.M. Hargrove & Terri E. Laine

*I was given this ARC in exchange for an honest review!*

Ok first I know it may say you can read this book as a standalone but I pretty much guarantee you should read Cruel & Beautiful first. You will love Cate and Drew’s Story and it helps you understand Ben a whole lot more. Plus Cruel & Beautiful is 5 star read so it’s worth it.

So A Mess of a Man is Ben’s story! Ben is a bachelor and plans on staying that way. Hurt from his first lov
Irene
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well I would say that I liked this book more than Cruel and Beautiful. This is Bens story and you must read C&B before this one to get an idea of his relationship with Drew and Cate. I'm not going to go into too much detail as that would spoil the book for you.
Ben is a bit of a love em and leave them type he only does casual hook ups except with Karen it's supposed to be a no strings relationship but she has other ideas.
When Ben meets Samantha she leaves such a lasting impression and that's
Tash
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reviewed @ Confessions From Romaholics
Review copy kindly provided by authors in exchange for a honest review

Last year I read the first book by this duo and enjoyed it a lot. So it was a no brainer for me as a blogger and reader to read their second standalone offering A Mess of a Man. Well, I’m telling a little while lie. It does features secondary character from their first offering and Cate does have a role in this book as it’s Drew’s best friend

As it gives an understanding to the men who is
Colleen
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a heartfelt read. I really enjoyed everything about this book! I just finished and still have tears in my eyes. The subject off loss is hard for all of us to deal with whether it be family, friend or lover. Unfortunately this book covered it all but did it with such dignity and grace.

I have not read any other books by this author before so these characters and her writing style were new for me.

I fell in love with Ben almost right away. He's got some serious faults but he's honestly just t
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Mess of a Man by AM Hargrove and Terri E Laine
4 stars!!!

“Sometimes, love isn’t enough.”

After reading Cruel and Beautiful by these two authors I fell in love with the way that these two write together and I was itching for this book. Although A Mess of a Man can be read as a standalone I do recommend you read Cruel and Beautiful first so that you can get an idea of the man that Ben Rhoades really is because the man in this book is quite frankly…a mess. While Cruel and Beautiful is not Ben’s
Ana Rente
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.

I must confess I was terrified when I started to read Ben’s story. Who has read “Cruel & Beautiful” must understand why. On that note, you must read “Cruel & Beautiful” before “A mess of a man”. Although “A mess of a man” is a standalone, I strongly recommend that you read “Cruel & Beautiful” before for three reasons: one, you will find spoilers that will ruin the magic that surrounds Cate & Drew’s story; two, you won’t fully understa
Melissa Mendoza
Page Count:250
Heat Level: 4 flames out of 5
Rating: 5 stars out of 5
Blurb:

Womanizer, Man Whore, Player, Heartbreaker are all familiar names to Ben Rhoades. He prefers Money Man or Sex God, but he doesn’t let other people’s opinions rule him. And he’s only gotten worse without his compass, his bes
Wit & Wonder Books
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
** ARC PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR FOR AN HONEST REVIEW **

A mess of a Man by A.M. Hargrove & Terri E. Laine makes you think about what you would do if faced with some of the choices presented in the novel, an emotional read for sure. The story has a slow build but the love story that is developing is one that is worth the wait.

Ben Rhoades works hard and plays harder. Women refer to him as a womanizer, heart breaker even an A hole. After loosing his best friend to Cancer he refuses to allow anyo
 Joyce
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica, hea
I'm still waiting for the tears to dry as I'm writing my review. Has all the key ingredients for the perfect romance book! So beautiful, as are the character Ben and Sam, after Ben gets his head out of his ass that is. This is my second book by this author, my second 5 star read and honestly I am totally hooked. I've found both books to be so captivating I have read them in less then a day. This one in just one afternoon. I was obsessed! And I might add quite emotional.

Ben was living the bachel
Malene
Mar 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
For some reason I just couldn't connect with the characters. It was a great although rather predicable story. If your into insta-love/lust then this book is definitely for you.

The writing worked fine but no matter how hard I tried, I wasn't intrigued by Ben or Sam's personality or their story. Their insta-connection was/felt too easy. I would have liked more build up tension or slow burn romance in their relationship. I felt that Sam and Ben were two different people in the book. I know it's po
Addicted2Books
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-books

description

This is a great followup/sequel (sort of) to Cruel & Beautiful. Both books have death/love/grieving/moving on. If you want a book that's just fun with no angst or real heavy stuff with loved mixed in, this isn't the book to read. It's very angsty and deep.

Read My Entire Review: http://wp.me/p6XNXo-C7

Disclaimer: I received an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Jill
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you loved Cruel and Beautiful then you're going to love A Mess of A Man

Oh, Ben, how I adore you. My heart breaks for you. :'( While reading this story, all those emotions I felt from Cruel and Beautiful resurfaced.

Drew was more than Ben's best friend, they were bonded like brothers. So when Ben tries to move on with his life without his sidekick, he faces the harsh reality of hitting rock bottom.
Mel
Mar 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
this was a dnf for me, H sleeping with ow after going on two dates with h. not for me
Liv
This book makes you laugh, cry and angry at how unfair life can be. It's all about love and loss in all different kind of shades.

The story is really good and even though there were no surprises because it was all a bit predictable I really LOVED IT . You know, it's like watching a horror movie when the girl is alone at home and it's the middle of the night and you just know when the right kinda music starts to play that something is going to happen. Ok, that was the worst comparison ever but
* A review copy was provided by the author for the Blog Tour *

~ 4 Stars ~

I didn’t know what I was getting into when I decided to read A Mess of A Man. Just what I read from the blurb and that was enough to peak my interest. Colored me shocked when I realized this is a spin-off/Companion novel to the authors first book Cruel and Beautiful. I was pleasantly surprised!!

I really enjoyed Cruel and Beautiful, so I knew that I was going to enjoy this book as well. I truly enjoy these writers writi
K3
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, where do I even begin. When these two ladies get together to write, man.. be prepared to have your socks knocked off!
For those who have read Cruel and Beautiful, you know how emotional that story was. In this story we get Ben’s pov on things. I loved every torturous, hurtful, emotional minute of it.
Seeing things from his pov was a breath of fresh air. To see how vulnerable and afraid a man can be was so endearing to me. We all know how cruel life can be when our loved ones are taken away fr
Tmara
Jan 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Yanilsa Griffin~BFD Bookblog
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-reviews
**ARC provided in exchange for an honest review**

What a truly enjoyable book. I did not read the previous book, so I am pleased to say, I felt the story flowed quite beautifully and I didnt feel I was missing a ton. However, the funny thing was that I found myself wishing there had been a previous story. LOL
Ben was the typical love em and leave em playa! He made no apologies for the person he was and he loved his life. Honestly, I dont typically mind this type of character, I respect their stanc
Patricia Maia (The Bookery Review)
When I finished Cruel & Beautiful I knew I had to read A mess of a man.

However they’re two different books, you should not read A mess of a man before Cruel & Beautiful. Ben is who he is because of Drew.
I met Ben in Cruel & Beautiful. The friendship, the companionship between Ben and Drew are completely overwhelming. But life throws him a curve ball and when you notice, Ben is nothing but a mess of a man. And in case you’re wondering, no, they’re not gay. When you read the book, you’
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

I liked it, I just didn't love it.

➦This book is about two people first trying friends only, then friends with benefits only - it goes back and forth until finally they both grow a pair.

➦There is a twist at the end for added drama and I don't think the book could have gone without it, there just wasn't enough substance to it.

➦The book is in need of better editing, I think: repetitive scenes from both POVs, repetitive thoughts, useless dialogue, even too many sex scenes. I skipped through sex sc
Yasmila s
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another great book! I absolutely loved it! The subject of grief is well exposed with a great deal heart. I love how there were some references to the first book in just the right amount so that this book can still function as a stand-alone.
Once again a very smart and compelling writing that will have you crying and laughing.
There are so many secondary characters I would like to read more about. The girls provide girl-power at its finest and I cannot get enough!
I love the ending Ben got. The fac
Natalie Kings
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh.So.Sweet...this was one realistic book,the longdays,hours..having shitty days at work,deadlines etc and the major crippling illness thats plaguing the world right now,and how it can affect people and their loved ones..dealing with such trauma and finding love.Gah!I loved every aspect of this book,the friendships,the banter,the make-up..Ben is such a sweet guy.Loves IT!!
Kirstie
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Wow! Wow!

I absolutely loved this book! So heart wrenching I love Ben and Sam. I loved that she wasn't a pushover and held her ground. This was such an emotional roller coaster of a read, laughs, snorts and tears. So well written I'm sad it's over definitely a book hangover for me now. I hope these guys get it together again and write Jenna's story or maybe Laurens?
Angela DeMarco
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Mess of a Man is a well written beautiful story. It's a story about loss, love, accepting your past and moving forward. The secondary character's all played an important role for both Sam and Ben.
This is my first read by A.M. Hargrove and Terri E. Lane and definitely won't be my last.
The topic of cancer is the focus of the story it makes you wonder what would you do if faced with the situation. Cancer is an ugly word and disease it affects so many people in this world.

Ben Rhoades works hard
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Wanted: Found (Kindle Worlds Novella)
  • Belong (Seven Year Itch, #3)
  • Dirty Nights, The Novel
  • Catching Fireflies (Chasing Butterflies #2)
  • Tequila High
  • Lucky Scars
  • One Defining Second (Survivors’ Justice, #2)
  • Pretty and Reckless
  • More Than Famous (Famous, #2)
  • Second Chance (Chances, #2)
  • Out of Focus (Chosen Paths, #3)
  • Getting Hot (Jail Bait, #3)
  • The Time Until
  • Redemption (The Sin Trilogy, #6)
  • Heart in Wire (By a Thread, #4)
  • Breaking Noah
  • For All the Evers
  • Take Me Away
One day, on her way home from work as a sales manager, USA Today bestselling author, A. M. Hargrove, realized her life was on fast forward and if she didn't do something soon, it would be too late to write that work of fiction she had been dreaming of her whole life. So she made a quick decision to quit her job and reinvented herself as a Naughty and Nice Romance Author.

Reader, Writer, #WalterTheP

Cruel & Beautiful (3 books)
  • Cruel and Beautiful (Cruel & Beautiful, #1)
  • One Wrong Choice (Cruel & Beautiful, #3)