Start by marking “The Housing Crisis” as Want to Read:
The Housing Crisis

The Housing Crisis

Wanted: female roommate to take over lease. Non-smoker. No boys allowed.

When Alyssa’s roommate leaves her in a lurch, she’s desperate to find someone, anyone, to move in with her. Rent is coming due and she can’t afford to pay it by herself. There’s only one rule: no boyfriends allowed. Her religious family would throw a fit if they knew she was living in a house with bo
Published March 11th 2016 by LoveLight Press

To ask other readers questions about The Housing Crisis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Housing Crisis

Start your review of The Housing Crisis
lov2laf
This is a feel good romance with some unexpected twists. Even with some predictions I had, the story still ended up surprising me. Ally and Hannah make for a cute couple and the novella manages to avoid some tropes, mainly there are no breakups.

Ally is a unique character in that she's Catholic and comes from a strongly religious home. Seeing how this impacts her was interesting though it seemed the book got lighter on introspection once she got with Hannah.

There's a bit of Mary Sue with Hannah a
Kurt
Soooooo, I really liked this sweet story of roommates falling in love, one, Alyssa, from a strict Catholic family in Iowa, ostensibly straight. I appreciated the Alyssa character who absolutely did not mess around with coming out and being open about Hannah. Dialogue and descriptions were quite funny in the beginning and little things helped me to feel like I knew the characters better than usual.
Sprinkles
You know how cats do that thing when they stretch and roll around like it's the most comfortable thing ever? I literally did that, except I was fangirling.

The Housing Crisis is a light, crisp read. Fluffy, too! What it lacks in robustness, it makes up in voice and character. While in Alyssa's POV, I kept thinking, "I KNOW THIS PERSON". She's the hesitant ally, product of a small town or super religious upbringing. The ones who (thankfully) aren't carbon copies of their parents, but tiptoe throug
Anja
Mar 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Well, this story had potential but the writing and the story telling was just mediocre (even spelling mistakes like you're and your were still in there). I wasted 2,99 on this story! Don't bother if you want a quality story, it reminds me of badly written fanfic, nothing else! ...more
Nolly  Sepulveda
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice love story

This was a very good coming out little romance story. The connection Alyssa and Hannah felt was instantaneous and their dreams seemed to be shared. It was nice for a change to not be caught up in the drama of straight girls going back and forth in the relationship, one day they're all in then they panic and run off, it's just frustrating. Though Alyssa wasn't quite certain of her feelings at first, she stuck to it and let it flourish. Very nice.
Heinerway
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a lovely story of how Alyssa met the love of her life. My only complaint is that I wish the story would have been longer than it was.
C. Mack
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely

A lovely short read that despite being compact fits in depth and character development that leads you fully into the story.
CLo
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindleunlimited
i remember reading this last year sometime. it was free on kindleUnlimited so of course i had to give it a read. i actually enjoyed the story. very short read but covered everything enough that you dont feel lost or cheated really. would have been nice to be longer but it was good. i liked it.
Mazzie
Jul 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Too much of telling instead of showing what is happening. Didn't feel the chemistry and the romantic development went too fast. ...more
Lauren
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: just-for-fun
Alyssa’s roommate ditched on her with no warning, leaving her desperate for a replacement before rent comes due. It has to be another girl, or her super Catholic mom would flip. Hannah just caught her girlfriend cheating on her, so that living arrangement doesn’t work anymore. Good thing a former co-worker told her about the roommate she just ditched on. New roommate is super cute. But Alyssa is straight, totally, maybe, and Hannah doesn’t want to go there again. Will they wind up together anywa ...more
moxieBK
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
​Housing Crisis -- Kate McLay -- (22 chapters) -- Oct 21, 2017

This is another book that I downloaded and read a while back, but this one is much more memorable.

It's cute an adorable and made me smile.

This is a godod book to read when you just need a quick pick-me-up. It short, sweet, enchanting, and endearing.
The two women in this story are from different backgrounds, but the mesh well together. It may not be very realistic, (although that Mom might be,) but it was high escapism.

There were two
Mint
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Kristin
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book where I feel like whether I "liked" a book (like Goodreads' star rating asks) isn't the best way to rate it. Because… there were times when I found it a tough book to face. Not because of any shortcoming in the writing, but because the writing shone light on some ugly realities, especially those that hit close to home in my own life. There were times when I felt this book was "too real" to be fun reading.

In this little book, Kate McLay hits some tough themes. The mother character
monica.b.czuba
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Housing Crisis: New Adult Lesbian Romance

This was a well written story. The story revolves around a young woman whose a Catholic comes home to find her flatmate has moved out leaving a note saying she's moving in with her boyfrienf . She panics as the rent is due in two weeks. She advertises for a new flatmate. Another young woman walks in on her girlfriend whose in there bed her with a man. She kicks her out. This was a story that had a few twists which I felt could have been explained in
Cindy Stein
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, lesfic-romance
Alyssa moved to Chicago after graduating college. She comes from a conservative Catholic family in Iowa. When her roommate suddenly moves out to live with her boyfriend, Alyssa is desperate to find someone to take her place. Hannah is a college dropout musician and out lesbian. When she finds her gf is cheating on her, she looks for a place to move. As Alyssa and Hannah begin their time as roommates, they each develop attraction and feelings. Alyssa has always assumed she's straight and Hannah i ...more
Jen
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Acceptance of all people = Openness to all love

“She’d never wanted to keep anyone, to have anyone, to be with anyone as much as she wanted that with Alyssa.”

“After one night, Alyssa already knew that she was addicted to the taste of Hannah. She didn’t know if she’d ever get over her. Or if she would ever want to.”
+ • + • + • +

A creative, entertaining out-of-the-box story about figuring out your own path, place & person in this world as the flashpoint for finding peace & freedom in being true
CassTrusty
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome

I recommend reading this book because it was easy to follow, adorable, and it had some small unexpected twists that I honestly didn’t see coming. The story was short, but said a lot about people and how they tend to think they already know things when they aren’t willing to search for answers.
J.R.
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A girl from Iowa leaves home!

Nothing could have prepared Alyssa for what she finds out after moving to Chicago. Constant searching as to who and what she was and having a mom with a guilt trip could leave some people still wandering. But finding she has a sister she did not know she had, wow! Enjoy!
Jemma
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Charming story, with several interesting plotlines, just too short. For once a whole story in a short online published book and enjoyable but still too short to develop some of the complex potential that lies in this tale.
Zingari
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: les-be-honest
Impressed

I really liked this story. Don't get me wrong, the words "straight" and "Catholic" almost had me running.

Didn't see that twist coming. Was pleasantly surprised.

Minor errors, and a few consistency issues.

Nice afternoon read.
Gina L
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute and Lovable!

The main characters of the story felt very real and you sort of got caught up in their excitement as the relationship developed. I like the unexpected twist and the fact that it all came together in the end.
Meryll
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute story

Felt like a YA read but it was a light and a short read. Not quite what I am used to but the story is enough to hold one’s attention.
Janice
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Awesome

This was a pretty good story. The "turning gay with little angst" thing was true to my experience, so it didn't feel odd that she wasn't over-thinking it.
Ashley
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it
It was cute but I feel like it could have been better.
charles clayson
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
GOOD READ
A very good ebook. Touching and gratifying. Just good. HAPPILY EVER AFTER story!😍
Jaylee
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-f-books
A nice enough book, has a few good moments and is easy to read, but I got kind of bored of it before the book even ended? (omg this is like the worst review i've ever written for a book i'm so sorry) ...more
Jules
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, glbt-fiction
Short book which really needed more filling out of the characters. Bit too cliche, however I still rounded up from 2 1/2 stars to 3. Hope the author continues to improve her writing skills.
DrTime
Jul 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
It was just so bad. Read like someone's unrealistic fantasy. ...more
Your Lips... Apocalypse..
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Was good.
QUEERcentric Books
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Caer Jones for QUEERcentric Books

The Housing Crisis by Kate McLay is a new adult novella with an intriguing blend of themes.

Alyssa is a good Catholic girl from a large Catholic family. She has a career that’s going places, food on the table, and a roof over her head. Everything is going to plan. Then her roommate bails with zero notice, leaving Alyssa scrambling for a new roommate to make the rent.

Hannah needs a place as soon as possible. She’s busy recovering from a bad br
LoveLight Press: The Housing Crisis 1 3 Mar 11, 2016 08:04PM

• Something Far Away and Happy
  • Before You Say I Do
  • Anyone But Her
  • Say Anything
  • I Like That About Her (I Like That About Her #1)
  • 30 Dates in 30 Days
  • The One Who Eats Monsters (Wind and Shadow, #1)
Kate McLay grew up in the Midwest, but after a short stint in Scotland she found her home deep in the heart of Austin, Texas. By day, Kate wrangles with computers and solves technological problems. By night, she dreams of magic and romance and can usually be found with her fingers on a keyboard or her head buried in a book.

News & Interviews