Start by marking “No Filter” as Want to Read:
No Filter

No Filter

This is the story of THAT SUMMER … the one when everything changes.

Emerald has grown up in a privileged world – the beloved daughter of a wealthy family, friends with all the right people, social media addict. But Emerald's family has secrets – and when Emerald finds her mum unconscious on the bathroom floor, no one can pretend any more. Now she's being packed off to stay
Published July 13th 2017 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about No Filter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Filter

Dannii Elle
The book was just the epitome of Summer! From the pastel-shaded cover, to the candyfloss sweet romance and even, in true British spirit, the rain! I loved getting to explore my favourite season with Emerald. She is on the cusp of understanding herself and this poignant time in her life, full of firsts, made the season seem even sweeter!

I also appreciated how authentic this tale appeared. The multiple social media excerpts that were included felt accurate and candid, rather than forced by someone
beth ✨
Feb 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Rating - 1 star

I hate giving 1 star reviews but I truly can’t give any more to this book. The only thing that I liked was that it was set in England/Ireland as I live in England and have friends who live in Ireland.

I’m not going to write a full review because I kinda don’t want to. This book was really bad.

- girl hate which needs to just stop
- plotless... like really what is the point of this book
- the characters were so cringe and cliché
- everything was so bad and just cringe
- they ‘couldn’
Ilyda
Apr 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, dnf, arc
“If you could be anything in the world, Liam Flynn, what would you be?”

DNF@70%.

There’s no other way to put this: this book was very poorly written.

It was chockful of typos, awkward sentences, stilted dialogue, and badly used verbs. (I swear, if I see the word ‘roars’ one more time, I will scream.)

There is only one reason why I got so far into the book: courtesy. Since the publisher was kind enough to give me a digital ARC of the novel, I felt the least I could do was attempt to finish the nove
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Beautiful writing, and really wonderful to see Instagram as the focus! And I liked the distinction between the dialects and how that it came through in the prose (in spelling etc.) but it got a little too Romeo and Juliet at the end for my liking!
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bloomsbury
Wealthy girl meets working class boy and a clichéd romance ensues. I actually didn't mind it. It was interesting and I enjoyed the Dublin accented dialogue and slang. Entertaining but unfortunately needed substance.
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Social media has trained us to "filter" our lives. Picking the parts we want people to see, and carefully projecting the desired image. Emerald had become an expert at filtering her life, but when her mother almost died, Em learned that she was not the only one in her family, who was hiding things.

I so loved this book! I laughed, I cried, I swooned, and I smiled a whole heck of a lot. There was a bunch of "weighty" stuff explored, but the two things that stood out for me in the
Alice Smellie
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. It brought back vivid memories of every hot, love-filled teenage summer by the sea there has ever been. Beautifully written, with excellent humour. Romantic without being sappy. It also made me cry, which is rare.
Angela Hart
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you know me, you know I love romances. Plain and simple. First love stories especially. There is something about first love that just strikes a chord within me as the reader. No Filter is just that, my cup of tea – a first love, contemporary, coming of age story. This had all of my favorite YA literary elements in one. Needless to say, I read this in practically one sitting (with minor breaks to refresh my cup of tea).
Now for more of the literary specifics. I really appreciated the fact that
Stacee
I loved this premise and had seen some promising reviews, so even though I lagged on getting to this, I was excited to start it. Sadly I pretty much struggled with everything.

Emerald and Liam are okay characters. They’re both a little dramatic and use a lot of exclamation points when they talk. Both have some angsty things going on in their families, which just added to the drama. There are a few other characters, but no one really stood out to me.

Plot wise, it was fairly clichéd. Lots of mean
Jasmine
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-ebooks
Thank you so so so much to Netgalley, Orlagh Collins and Bloomsbury for giving me a digital ARC of this book for review. 5 whole stars for this absolute beauty!

From what I know, 'No Filter' is Collins' debut novel. As in her first ever published novel. As in oh my goodness what a way to introduce yourself to the YA world! First off, that cover is wonderful. I loved that it was set in Ireland, just because that accent is TO. DIE. FOR.

So the story follows Emerald who - to put it lightly - is goin
Heather Anderson
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Emerald, our female protagonist is likeable yet somewhat troubled. She's forever checking her social media accounts and lusting over those sometimes-elusive 'likes' 'hearts' or 'shares'. My prior experience of novels that try to emulate the social media age is wholly negative, but this is one of the rare books that actually manages to be 'social media savvy' without being boring or try-hard. Both protagonists are well-rounded, and I think Collins has done a fabulous job of writing in two distinc ...more
Tara
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an easy read, easy to fall into the story and easy to like the characters. It didn't require any effort to be whisked away to a summertime romance and swoon slightly over an Irish songwriting guitar playing character.
For me, this is the type of book to read when I don't want to think about anything and when I want a happy ending. And this really was a happy ending that turned me into a puddle of swoony slush!

Thanks to Bloomsbury and Netgalley for my review copy.
Suze Lavender
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Emerald goes to an expensive school and there's always money at home. However, she doesn't come from a happy family. When she finds her mother on the bathroom floor, unconscious and barely alive, Emerald thinks her family has hit rock bottom, but can things get worse? Emerald doesn't know that a lot of information is being kept from her. She only discovers there are family secrets when she travels from England to Ireland to stay with her grandma while her mother is recovering. Emerald's dad is t ...more
Paddy Courtney
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a delicious dip into a timeless time that is all past, present and future. 'No Filter' is a story that will resonate with anyone who has a beating organ in the centre of their chest and a belly full of butterflies, with a memory of or a longing for their first love. The pace is relentless and frenetic, as is the mind and body of every teenager. Personal memories of sounds, tastes and smells of summer flooded my senses as I read each page, for which I'm thankful to the author. My only critic ...more
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*ARC provided by Bloomsbury in exchange for an honest review*
Trigger warning: substance abuse
This was Orlagh's debut novel and it follows Emerald as her life is thrown upside down due to the choices her mother makes. She has to spend her summer in Ireland at her Grandma's house while things back home settle down as much as they can. This is where she meets Liam, an adorable Irish guy with a hilarious best friend.
Emerald is going through the aftermath of having disconnected with everything back h
Vicky
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
In my younger, angstier years, I used to devour YA books by the truckload. Romance, paranormal, fantasy, sci-fi: I loved it all. I thought I’d grown out of it by now- so it’s weird coming back to the genre with Orlagh Collins’ new book and finding it just as good as I remember: the best of the genre, revamped for a new, millennial, technology-savvy audience.
Consider me re-converted. No Filter plays out through the eyes of two teenagers: Emerald, whose mother has just gone into rehab after a fail
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Apr 07, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always by: Sam Kozibal
Shelves: 2018
Check out Sam's totally convincing review, which made me add this little one to my TBR!
Ava
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was such a good book, I literally flew through it! Emerald and Liam are great characters. I like how Collins wrote the book like one chapter is from emeralds point of view the next is Liams.
Faith
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
It has never taken me so much time (6 months) to finish one 300 page novel. Even as I was busy with this year's hectic school year and workload, the story's characters and plot failed to intrigue me, proving to be a conventional Young Adult cheesy summer romance novel.

Our tortured teenagers are Emerald whose tragic family background causes her to question the friends and lifestyle she has always relied upon; as well as also Liam, whose ambitions to become a musician is undermined by his struggli
Mary Hildegard
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don’t usually give a write-up but I was lucky enough to borrow an early review copy of this book. Having enjoyed other Young Adult novels by Irish authors recently I was delighted to give it a go. I’m so glad I did. Initially I found Emerald hard to connect with despite all she had going on but in the end I was surprised by how much I felt for both herself and Liam. The plot twists and turns kept me on my toes and the North Dublin seaside setting is beautifully drawn. I enjoyed this warm-heart ...more
Jess Hyde
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book. I felt completely swept up in Liam and Emerald's lives, with the sadness and twists and turns along the way. It may be written for young Adults but it's great for us older adults too - especially if you hanker after your teenage years of love and romance. Beautifully written, especially for a first novel. Really hoping there's a follow up on the way. Well done Orlagh Collins.
Teenreadsdotcom
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In NO FILTER by Orlagh Collins, teenage Emerald seems to have her whole life together, if you look at her social media accounts. However, it isn’t all perfect behind the many filters she uses.

Emerald’s father is constantly working and her mother is battling addiction. After Emerald finds her mother unconscious on the bathroom floor, her father sends her to live with her grandmother in Ireland for the summer. Emerald is certainly dreading the summer without her friends in England, but everything
Die Muhme Rumpumpel
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amy
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
When you think about the different ways we apply filters, it starts to feel as if it would be quite difficult to live the unfiltered life.

In Emerald's case, filters help her cope. Her social media posts filter a life that is anything but perfect, anything but charmed, and make it appear to be enviable. She doesn't let anyone see what's really going on, not even her mother's overdose, which forces Em to spend the summer in Ireland with her grandmother.

She also filters the truth about her father.
Fiona
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It’s a long time since I’ve read a YA novel but once I started #No Filter, I couldn’t put it down. With such a distinct voice and naturalistic style it is frankly hard to believe that this is Orlagh Collins debut novel.

The story opens with Emerald, a teenage girl struggling with typical teenage angst focussed largely on the pressures of being pretty, being popular and the power struggle that exists among young girls.
Soon though, Em’s world will be torn asunder when she comes home from school to
Sionna
Honestly, it has been less than a week between me reading this book and writing this review and I've got to tell you, I'm wracking my brain to remember it.

I finished this book not sure how I felt about it, but I'm down to not liking it.

-There is a lot of girl hate.
Friends aren't really friends, but oh, that is how people are. Um... no. Friends shouldn't talk behind your back or post back pictures of you as a joke which pit you against another person looking great. No.
-Cliches
-insta-love/the r
Tissy
Oct 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Yeah no. Nope.

As a courtesy (NetGalley/publishers) I read several chapters but I just couldn't continue. I had zero interest in the 'plot', the characters or anything else i.e the location. It was unfortunately boring, the slang was overused and confusing so I just skipped chunks of text. The moral lecture on social media blah blah was pithy and sanctimonious and the insta-romance was just gaudy.

Those were the cons so ....

The whole addict/rehab mum thing was interesting if it had been pursued
Lauren R.
DNF at 18%. I don't do this often, but I really wasn't into this. There was nothing objectively wrong with it right away, but I just wasn't pulled in by the characters at all. I could tell there would be a lot of family and friend drama, which isn't what I'm usually in the mood for, so I decided to quit. Other reviews discuss the angst, lack of actual plot mixed with too much drama, and girl hate/mean girls... so I'll just take the loss on this one.
Kathleen Currie Smith
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok so you should know that if a book is set in Ireland I already like it. I thought is was going to be a generic teen summer romance but there was so much more. An addict mother, a mysterious father, a bankrupt company and two teenagers trying to take care of their families while finding their own way in life.
Connie Studies
you know I completely forgot that I read this book, it's been in my want to read for ages so I went to read it and I already have. good book though.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Indigo Donut
  • Wishbones
  • Sunkissed (Ladybirds, #3)
  • Countless
  • Kook
  • The Inconceivable Life of Quinn
  • You Don't Know Me but I Know You
  • Saltwater Moons
  • Naondel (Punaisen luostarin kronikoita #2)
  • When Love Comes to Town
  • The Taste of Blue Light
  • Juniper Lemon's Happiness Index
Irish. Lives in Somerset with husband, kids and a crazy cockerpoo, Mildred.

Loves strong coffee and 80's teen movies. Swears like a sailor. Also makes films.