Start by marking “Jane Eyre - The Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
Jane Eyre - The Graphic Novel

Jane Eyre - The Graphic Novel

Presents in graphic novel format an adaptation of Brontë's story about an orphaned young English woman who accepts employment as a governess at Thornfield Hall, a country estate owned by the mysterious and remote Mr. Rochester.
Published 2008 by Classical Comics (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Eyre - The Graphic Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Eyre - The Graphic Novel

David Schaafsma
Jun 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I just reread Jane Eyre (by Charlotte Bronte!) and loved it, think it’s deservedly one of the Great Books, with a wonderful young heroine. I also just coincidentally read Decelerate Blue by Adam Rapp, that among other things advocates for the reading of Whole Books, (surprise, surprise), not abbreviated versions of books, like Reader’s Digest books, but also implicitly not comics adaptations of books.

So, you ask, is there any use in a graphic novel version of Jane Eyre, given that--if we agree
Jess
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bronte, 2017
Jane Eyre is one of my favourite books of all time, so you can probably imagine how excited I was to find this graphic novel. I was a bit apprehensive at first - a 600 page novel crammed into a comic strip? Not sure that's going to work...

I was worried that the language would be watered down, but this was not the case! All the original dialogue is used and the illustrations are beautiful. I think it would definitely entice someone to read the original if they haven't already. If I have one complain
Sleeping with Ghosts
Well, this story haunting me since the first time I've read the book. I hoped more from this, but ok, it's a cómic! Short, simple. The graphic desing isn't so beautiful but was nice. Hope to read another version of Jane in a Graphic Novel!
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A mainstream classic with life story of a girl. It's quite tragic, dramatic, and surprising at times. There are co-incidences, but the storyline makes up for that. It didn't feel slow since it's in comic book format. The art was decent, dialogues were well equipped.

Overall a decent love story + social drama.
Tiffany
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is it about Jane Eyre that I love?? The book is dark, depressing, lonely, sad and OHHHHH so good! I have read the novel a couple of times years ago. I thought I would check out the graphic novel version. I enjoyed. I forgot all about my favorite line in the book. It was in the graphic novel which thrilled me. To quote "I sometimes have a queer feeling with regard to you - especially when you are near me, as now: It is as if I have a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly and inextrica ...more
Shannon
Charlotte Bronte's graphic novel depiction. It's a good focus on the Jane Eyre, especially if you found the novel to be laborious reading as I did back in the day. The graphic novel does a good job of following Jane's unhappy life as a child, serving as a governess and then falling in love with her master but then many problems arise. Prevalent themes about spiritual connections to love, love and religion blending or not blending and social status. Recommended for those who want a summary of thi ...more
David
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a sucker for period love stories :) This met and exceeded my expectations. I can't imagine a graphic novel taking a more complex story and representing the language, tone and themes as well as this one. Can I reiterate how much I love this language. The history of the Bronte family and other bits of historical context definitely shed light on and added to the mood of the story.
Nicole Misra
Doing some graphic novel previewing for my ESOL students.
Jeff
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jeff by: David Schaafsma
Shelves: comics
I wanted an easy-ish way to learn the original story before eventually reading Wide Sargasso Sea. Though this was simple, it wasn't very enjoyable as a comic. But it does seem to get the job done of conveying the original story. I'll probably watch a movie adaptation also. I doubt i'll ever read the original because it doesn't seem as engrossing as Pride and Prejudice.

Incidentally #1
The publisher, Classical Comics, offers three versions of some titles. Original Text means they haven't edited the pros
Kirstie Ellen
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
Jane Eyre has always been one of my favourite classics - I just love Jane's character and honestly? I find her and Mr Rochester adorable in their dependency on each other for happiness. This was really weird but fun reading it as a graphic novel - I think I will certainly read more classics in this format now!

Jane Eyre
If you’re not familiar with this classics, Jane Eyre is the story of an orphaned girl who isclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Jane
Jennifer Heine
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-lit
This is a well done adaptation of Jane Eyre and makes this bookl accessible to students who may be intimidated by classic literature.
Meli
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
For it's time, this is a wonderful book! Love, faith, jealously, and feminism are couched into a realistic and romanic mystery. Definitely enjoyed the comic book imagery too!
Jamie (ReadsinTrees) Dacyczyn
2016 Reading Challenge: A graphic novel based on a classic.

I didn't enjoy this book at all. I've never read Jane Eyre (as I tend to not do well with the rambling dry tone of most classics), so I figured this would be a good way for me to get a gist of the story to see if I'd like to tackle the actual book.

I didn't care for the illustration style (classic comic book aesthetic). Very dreary and dull with the usual white speech bubbles. Not something that's a pleasure to loo
Stacy
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Jane Eyre. It’s been many, many years since I read the classic, but over the years I’ve watched as many of the film adaptations as I can fit in. As much as I love Jane I have a more lukewarm response to graphic novels. I’ve only read a few but none have really wowed me. But, this one was the perfect combination of a favorite heroine, quality storytelling, and illustrations that felt authentic to the original story. In this version they use Bronte’s own words to tell the story.

Licha
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, graphic
Can I say I am offcially in love? My breath was taken away by this story. I suppose I am a hopeless romantic and I was easily swept away by the romance of this book. Why can't modern romances compare to the classics? I am more touched by these stories of long ago than I am with the explicit-at-times books of today. There's more to be said for what's left to the imagination or the courtship of romance than the graphic tales of today.

This book is of course not the original read. It is
Antonia
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, graphic-novels
mh. it was quite good overall. i enjoyed reading it. the story is great as ever and the text worked well with the pictures although at times the speech bubbles were oddly placed. and from a - i don't know - "modern" point of view, the drawings did not quite match my taste.

anyways... i bought it with school in mind but this version is too hard for my pupils. should have gotten the quick text version. then as said above i don't think the graphics will cause much joy. it seems a bit old
Beth
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm about to write a ten page paper on what I think. Here's a summary: I don't think it could ever do the original justice. It's nature lends to a serious lack of depth. The art wasn't that fantastic either. It was literally just okay.
Pam
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I know I must have read the classic Jane Eyre in Jr. High as required reading but I don't think I realized then what a wonderful love story it is. I've only read a handful of graphic novels. I counldn't put this one down.
Bindu
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: absolute-fun, awsome
First time I had read it was during my school days and now returning to the story through this lovely graphic novel!
Realini
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jane Eyre, based on the novel by Charlotte Bronte
9.6 out of 10

This is a remarkable, modern, yet faithful rendition of the classic novel, adapted for the modern viewer by an acclaimed director, half Japanese and half Swedish I hear, Cary Joni Fukunaga.

Mia Wasikowska is memorable in the title role of Jane Eyre, the rejected, strong, lonely but resilient, loyal and gritty, resourceful, brave, self sacrificing heroine.
She has the benefit of a first part in h
Susan
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
First of all, I am not fond of condensed classics. I tried to read this with an open mind, but having Jane's thoughts boiled down to captions and Bronte's dialogue taken out of context made reading this a chore rather than a pleasure. Books such as these focus on plot, not all that actually makes this a timeless piece. I would not recommend it for use in a class setting at all. And if you are a fan of Jane Eyre, take a pass on this. The illustrations are nicely done and do capture some of the go ...more
Momina M.
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
*3.5 stars.
"I don't think sir, you have a right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have;
your claim to superiority depends on use you have made of your
time
and experience."
Kitty Red-Eye
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, comics, fiction
I haven't read the original, which I guess I should. We'll see in time. Anyway, an Excellent way of reading this classic for someone who 1) feels s/he really should have read it, 2) thinks there are too many books out there and too little time 3) aren't 100% sure s/he has the patience for the full book at this point in life.

Or any other reason :)
Kelsey Jackson
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I read the graphic novel in two days for my class since we didn't have time to read the whole book. Honestly I found Jane kind of whiny and extra throughout half the book, but the ending was really sweet, and I liked how the story had multiple twists and turns
Sallie
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jane Eyre is one of my favorite classics. The GN is just as good as the story. It does leave out quite a bit, but still the gist is there. I do love the art work and it's how I would picture each of the characters.

I love me some Jane and Mr. Rochester.
Jen
I had a hard time following the plot as I haven't read the novel. I'd consider this a kind of cliffs note version of the original story but I enjoying the artwork and finished the book in one sitting.
Cindy
A graphic novel from Classical Comics. I remember this type of comic when I was a youngster. This book had much better drawings and the text was Bronte's original text.

A very complete adaptation of the book.
ooshaa
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A magical novel that has many deep conversations, took me away far away from reality. I’ve lived in all the scenes beautiful words beautiful chapters I could re-read it again even though i just finished🥀
Ani
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it

Beautiful artwork! Tells the story, has original text in it, but doesn't come close to the original book in my opinion. Enjoyed it though.
Elin (Tickmicks bokblogg)
4,5 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Sense & Sensibility
  • Thoreau at Walden
  • L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables (All Aboard Reading)
  • Madame Bovary de Gustave Flaubert
  • Frankenstein The Graphic Novel
  • Death of a Schoolgirl (The Jane Eyre Chronicles, #1)
  • Mr. Maxwell's Mouse
  • Nevermore (Classical Eye)
  • The Trial: A Graphic Novel
  • Aliens Are Coming!: The True Account of the 1938 War of the Worlds Radio Broadcast
  • The Great Gatsby: A Graphic Adaptation by Nicki Greenberg of the Novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Macbeth: The Graphic Novel (Original Text)
  • The Hallelujah Flight