Start by marking “Vulcan's Fury: The Dark Lands” as Want to Read:
Vulcan's Fury: The Dark Lands

Vulcan's Fury: The Dark Lands

The Roman Empire, arisen from the ash and ice that covered the world after the wrath of the gods fell from the heavens, must confront an ancient evil that threatens the entire known world…

A few thousand years after Old Rome was destroyed, the dream of the Roman Survivors had become a reality. Vulcan’s Fury, as the impact event was known, had become a distant but poignant
ebook
Published April 3rd 2016 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Vulcan's Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vulcan's Fury

Alistair
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another completely different setting from Michael R HIcks. After the Sci-Fi with a hint of fantasy of the "In Her Name" books and the Sci-Fi with a big helping of horror of the "Harvest" series, here we have an alternative history with a fantasy element. At first the alternative history takes centre stage, set in a Roman Empire which has survived a cataclysm but still reigns. The fantasy lurks on the edges of the plot, just as the Dark Lands lurk at the edges of the Empire. Speaking of which, th ...more
Marianne Søiland
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Annoyingly good! And drops you there, with a HUGE cliffhanger!! Hicks - you better be quick with the next book in the series !!! :-)
Hajni Cheek
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Just.Can't.Put.It.Down! But, we already know how Michael's books are.
Fast paced, well-told semi-dystopian story. I think: I am not that good with categories.
The story takes place in the new Roman Empire, 3000 years after an asteroid destroyed the known ancient world. There is nothing left to conquer …. except for the Dark Lands, across the impassable sea.
I can't wait to read the 2nd book of the series ---> ...going on Facebook to check on him, I hope he is busy, writing! :D
Jodi Conway
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From the opening scene, where we trail the fearsome beast intent on attacking young Princess Valeria, you will be hooked! Once again, Michael Hicks has drawn us into a fantastic world, not in a galaxy far, far away (hat tip Star Wars), but right here on Earth, as it was many centuries ago. The residents of Rome are still recovering from a cataclysmic event that changed the whole orientation of the planet. The world had changed, but unfortunately, men had not. Just as today, sometimes war is far ...more
Charles E.
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you don't like waiting for the next book in a series, then don't read this yet. Just remember, though, that when your friends are talking about Vulcan's Fury, you won't be able to join the conversation. Otherwise, suck it up, dive in head first, and enjoy the non-stop action and the larger than life characters. Your choice.
Linda
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every One especially those who enjoy a twist to known history.
I am a baby boomer, who has been reading Sci-Fi/Fantasy for a number of decades. When I went looking for new authors I discovered Mike Hicks. I have read a number of his books and have thoroughly enjoyed them. When he asked that I spread the word for his new book, VULCAN'S FURY: THE DARK LANDS, I jumped at the chance. I have read a prerelease copy of this book and was not disappointed - DO NOT MISS OUT ON THIS "BITE YOUR FINGER NAILS" BOOK. Mike did a fantastic job of developing an alternate his ...more
Todd O'Buckley
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading Michael Hicks's books since the "In Her Name" series, and they have continued to entertain. This book takes place in an alternate history, where the world was almost wiped out by a meteor strike but has since been conquered by a revitalized Roman Empire. The characters (human and other) are well fleshed out, and the combination of battles, politics, and background flow smoothly to keep you engaged. As mentioned in some other reviews, the book ends on a significant cliffhanger, ...more
Nick Whitby
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant book from Mr Hicks.
I find all of Mr Hicks books riveting reads, this one is no different, hard to put it down once you start reading it.
Original story with all the necessary ingredients to keep anyone reading with enjoyment all the way through..
My one criticism, I have to wait for the next part...
Phillip M Lewallen
Great book

Where is the sequel? This book is just to good not to be continued. I need to know what happens with Karan and Valeria and what happens after she has been found by the "Roman" giants and the "swords". Any help please.
Lizzie
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know what you look for in a book review, so I have written this based on what information I search through the myriads of book reviews posted to find.

Vulcan’s Fury did not immediately captivate me. The first few chapters were enjoyable and interesting, but I could put it down and attend to other necessary tasks. I came back to it the next day, kept reading, and suddenly realized I had been completely seduced without knowing when it went from ok, interesting to I can’t stop until the last
Chris Grant
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome!

Simply fantastic read. Engaging the whole way through and I read in one sitting. I've read most of this authors sci Fi but seriously , you must read this one. Cannot wait for the sequel which I hope will come soon!
CA Portnellus
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rome was never so dangerous as this New Rome.

Michael Hicks has a keeper here, with hopefully a sequel or a series. His writing is sharp, witty, realistic, and great story- telling, wrapped in a Roman history lesson. While this story is set in another time, and alternate history, it still boggles the !mind, how the Roman Empire survived as long as it did. The politics of Rome no matter that their Republic foundations eventually helped to build ours, was full of corruption, with men out to make th
Charlene
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The start of a serious love affair

Don't read this book, buy it but don't read it. Wait...wait for the next book in the series to come out then start reading. Seriously, I'm saving you from the pain of pining for more, I speak from experience. Just like any new love, this story has it's quirks and blemishes but love is blind so I'm overlooking those annoying Roman names and ignoring the foolish immaturity of the silly princess. Hopefully she will blossom into a regal, mature woman. The names, I'l
J.W. Metcalf
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another gem of a great book written by Michael. All of his books so far have been page turners and this one didn't disappoint. Michael has become an Author that I buy from whenever a new book comes out.

Vulcan's Fury is set after the world was wiped out long ago and rebuilt along the lines of the old Roman Empire. We follow the story of Valeria, the princess of the Emperor, on this adventure. I never give away spoilers in a review so if you love action, Romans, large battles with a mix of Fantasy
John Hamilton
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
– An excellent read and as always this author leaves the reader wanting more! I can’t wait for the next instalment.
The characters are, as always in Michael Hicks’ books, well developed & you want them to survive/succeed unlike those in many books I read. The plot is fast moving and twists & turns in unexpected directions. A very good introduction to this author's books and a worthy successor to the Mistress of the Ages & Harvester series of books.
I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and ca
C. Lance
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Michael Hicks is writing epic science fiction. Vulcan's Fury has alternative history, credible characters, anthropologically coherent settings (the worlds he creates make sense whether outside looking out or outside looking in, consistent military system and tactics, and swift easy to read prose. The book is like a fine meal whose dishes compliment one another and create an experience exceeding the sum of its parts.

Unfortunately, the best meal cannot over come the hunger that started immediately
Dennis Michaels
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A furious time travel tale that puts the reader in the shoes of men of antiquity!
A suspenseful story that leaves we readers catching our breathe!
The author is one I follow regularly you should as well.
Do find this book and many other if his works at Kindle Amazon and other fine
retailers. A highly imaginative author his writings continue to impress me.
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
Find it on Amazon April 3rd.
Becky
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Superb Story!

I admit that I was a bit apprehensive about this book, thinking maybe it was more of a war story, but I should have known better. I have loved every single Michael R Hicks book to date and this is no exception. Marvelous interesting characters and creatures with such a riveting storyline, it was hard to put down. I am certainly happy that he is already working on the next in this series as I have to know the rest of the story!
Annie Smith
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
This book starts slow and steady and works to a pitched middle and a cliffhanger ending. I started reading Mr. Hicks books with the In Her Name series and fell in love.
Vulcan's Fury, hold all that love and does not disappoint. Mr. Hicks, has provided a different view point on a darker alternative history. The characters are well designed and each play their role to a T.
The cliffhanger leaves much to be annoyed at but this is a very good set up for the following novels.
David E.
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Michael R. Hicks has done it again!
Vulcans Fury, The Dark Lands is one of those rare books that grabbed and kept my attention for hours at a time. With an alternate history concept you're swept along with characters you love to love and some you just love to hate. And the end of the book, let's just say I can't wait for the next book in the series. If you like history, ancient Rome or just plain good reading, get this book. You won't be disappointed .
Hugh Macdiarmid
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Hit

Michael Hicks is not only one of the most imaginative authors today, he is also a great storyteller. I've read the entire "In her name" series with great pleasure and now I have a whole new series to look forward to. I can hardly wait for the next episode to become available. Recommended to anyone who enjoys a good story, a combination of historical and science fiction.

Larry Griffiths
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Larry's take

After reading the in her name series, which was one of the best I've read and really enjoyed, it was difficult to started on this but I finally got into it or maybe the story finally got me. Again thanks Mike for an excellent book. I don't like to say to much about the story because I don't want to give anything away. I think the healthier is a very good touch.
John Milton
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I good take on the alternate history genre. I enjoyed the characters and the book was fast paced. Not quite as good as his other books though.
Darren Marshall
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous story you will not want to put down, I am counting down till the next book in the series
Joy
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Defiantly my favorite book from this author so far. Page turner, very hard to put down, storyline is so captivating. Not a dull moment in this book, cliffhanger ending has me wanting more.
Bonnie Chase
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing concept

Fast, light, and easy read. An alternate universe, Roman concepts - I dug it. Definitely an interesting book...I'm buying the next one now! ☺
Phoenix Reads
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As usual, Michael Hicks has an innovative and unusual story that has great characters and interesting twists. I am such an avid fan and this one did not disappoint.
Mickie
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Does not disappoint

Just the right blend of history and fantasy. Well crafted characters. Looking forward to book two. Like others, I love the. Hexatiger.
Bob
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Michael has set the bar high for my expectations of any book I read. This is a great read that surprises and engages relentlessly. A great original story line that grabs you from the first page.
Michael A. Wood
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a Great Must Read!!! Great follow up to the In Her Name Series. Only problem is I Can't Put it Down!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Enjoyed it 2 6 Mar 25, 2016 05:03PM
Born in 1963, Michael Hicks grew up in the age of the Apollo program and spent his youth glued to the television watching the original Star Trek series and other science fiction movies, which continues to be a source of entertainment and inspiration. Having spent the majority of his life as a voracious reader, he has been heavily influenced by writers ranging from Robert Heinlein to David Weber, a ...more