Start by marking “The Angel Factory” as Want to Read:
The Angel Factory

The Angel Factory

3.08  ·  Rating details ·  354 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Have you ever imagined that you might be living in a dream reality? That your parents, your sister, your best friend, even your dog isn't who you think they are? Ever felt that while your friends gripe about their dysfunctional families and their grades, you can't really complain? Have you ever thought your life is just a little too good to be true?
If your answer is yes,
Published March 15th 2012 by Aladdin (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Angel Factory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angel Factory

Denver
Aug 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
I picked up this book during a library session at school, and decided to read it because i figured it would cover a category for my wide reading. I think it was one of the most boring books i've read. The blurb sounded good and the plot seemed to have so much potential, but the book just bored on and on.

This dystopian novel completes the category: a book with a male main character. I just realised that i normally look for books with female protagonists, probably because my favourite books all ha
Gail
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I started reading this book and found myself drawn to it. I couldn't put it down and there were parts that I kind of figured out, but the twist was different than what I expected. This story is about a young boy who thinks his family is too perfect. He mentions it to his friend Gip and his friend starts him on a journey to find out if his parents are secretly in the CIA. We come to find out that they are angels sent here to help earth save itself from destruction. The only problem is, is that th ...more
Michele Velthuizen
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Interest level: 5th +
Reading level: medium
Genre: science fiction, utopian society, utopia
Read-alikes: The Giver

If you are a fan of "The Giver", you'll enjoy "The Angel Factory" which also peers into what, at first glance, seems to be a perfect world.

As Thomas Wisdom hacks into his father's computer with the help of a friend one day, he discovers some frightening secrets, mostly about his family and himself. Suddenly Thomas realizes that nothing is what it seems to be...

What is it that Thomas di
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Meghan Delesky
May 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was okay. It's not one of them where I'd jump to the chance to read again. But it was defintely an interesting read. I did like how it's something I've never read before.
Logan
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3rd-q
I think that this book was amazing to read. It was very interesting and easy to understand. I liked reading it because it seemed to me that a boy was reading it. the pages were very large and the text was perfect size.

The main character in this book was Thomas wisdom. He was a very eager outgoing character that was trying to solve his families mystery. The family are angels sent or made to help protect the earth. There is a secret plan for the angels to help the people on earth and make sure the
Linnae
Jul 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Thomas Wisdom's family has always been happy. His parents even hold hands in public. That's just not normal...is it? So why does he feel out of place sometimes? What kind of kid wants some chaos in his life? As Thomas confides in a friend, he begins to realize that it's not asking the questions that will add chaos, it's finding the answers to those questions. All is not what is seems in his tidy little world. Nor in ours. And it will be his choice whether to be a part of the problem or the solut ...more
iamtedae
Sep 26, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young fans of science fiction
This story falls into the same general category as The Giver, if I remember correctly; it's a science-fiction base for social commentary. This one isn't as far a step from the way we currently live so it's a little less obvious, perhaps. Despite the unusual and fairly interesting concept, the story is just a little too easy, the characters a little too pale to be truly interesting to an adult reader; probably a young reader would enjoy it, although the deeper concepts would probably be lost on ...more
Jespera
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Jia
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's a good book but I'm not really surprised.
Did you read the book the Wave? because, they're really alike.
Thomas Wisdom started to open his eyes and realized that his life were almost too perfect too be true. That was before when somebody finally explained to him about the project, and the fact that he's adopted. Then he was founded in a world of angels. And now he can't trust anyone, not his parents, sister, his best friend, not even his dog? Would the project take over the world?
Camille Stanford
This book was kind of weird. Especially the end. There were parts that made this book better, but they were tangled in with bizarre moments.
I was sitting on the fence of what I thought about this book until the last few chapters, which solidly placed it in the 'annoying and unsatisfying ending' category. Mostly, I just felt like the author was trying to manipulate my emotions at times, and it ended up just making me uncomfortable.
Dotty
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Thomas Wisdom seems like an ordinary human boy until he and his buddy, Gip, find a secret on Tom’s dad’s computer. Tom was adopted but not by any ordinary parents. His parents are angels on a mission to save Earth.

I didn’t totally recognize or get immersed in the London environment until part way through the book. I would love to see this in a book discussion group
LeAnne
This is well-written suspense although Thomas feels older than 12 to me. The angels feel like a cult although the words used are very close to Biblical, implying that the Christian worldview is something twisted. Goodness is suffocating. Religious experience is as manipulative as drugs. Salvation would destroy what is human in us. Very disturbing, but it could stimulate lots of discussion.
Vidushi
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sara
May 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Didn't really like this one. I expected more from it somehow. The whole story wrapped up very suddenly and not entirely believably, in my opinion, in a very few pages at the end. Not too realitic feeling actions/etc toward the end either. Interesting premise though.
Frost_light
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
It's not too bad, only a little boring because I had guessed the ending. Anyway, it expressed the world we are living now. Life is not perfect when everything's perfect. If I were Thomas, I would choose the same choice.^^
Connie T.
Nov 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Thomas Wisdom's troubles begin when he discovers he's adopted. What other lies have his parents told him? As he begins to uncover the truth, he realizes everything - and everyone - isn't what he believed. Who can he trust and what should he do?
Matt Mazenauer
Sep 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Draws you pretty quickly into a thriller sense of a giant scifi conspiracy. Then it unravels into a completely implausible scenario. I really wanted it to be good but the ending especially made it impossible to believe, even for sci-fi.
Angie Golaski
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Fun and interesting, probably written as a Y.A. novel. It's about an alien invasion, but they're friendly and attempting to save humankind from itself. The question is whether mankind wants this sort of help.
Rasha Drapleck
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was mostly weird. It was annoying hereing the charactors perspective because he was an ansty teen ager. he was more disterbed by the fact that his parents adobted him than that they were alines.
Michelle
Jun 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
It was okay. Typical dystopian novel. Literary Review is quoted as saying it "deserves to be ranked alongside Lois Lowry's The Giver" and that is only true if it is held up as an inferior book.
Angela Sellers
May 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-fiction
Oh me oh my! This book was so gosh darn good.
S.K. Henning
If you like The Giver you will like this book.
Paul Mathis
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this at Rheannon's urging. Great little parable (I was able to read it in one day.) Although written for a young adult audience, it does teach a valuable lesson.
Trisha
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it
this was an odd but interesting slant on this type of story.
Trish
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grades-6-8
I found this story intriguing, and I am not a fan of science fiction. If you have a son or daughter who enjoys that genre, I would certainly recommend this read.
pinkthecolour
Jul 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: previously-owned
I've given this 1 star simply because it creeped me out, and I consequently didn't enjoy reading it. The concept itself is thought provoking and original... but creepy. Big twist.
Budd
May 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Didn't really care for it. Nice premis, just seemed poorly executed.
Kate
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A surprisingly good read. Interesting look at good verses evil and having freewill.
Mickey
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book ever it's mysterious and adventurous!I recommend this book to every one who likes adventuring.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. YA/JUV Sci-fi Angels [s] 6 102 Nov 09, 2014 05:37PM
  • Snow Drop, Vol. 6
  • Silent Hill: Dead/Alive
  • Silent Hill Omnibus
  • Miracle Girls, Vol. 3
  • Silent Hill: Sinner's Reward
  • The Iron Woman
  • Rin!, Volume 03
  • Zodiac P.I., Vol. 2 (Zodiac P.I., #2)
  • Time to Smell the Roses (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #4)
  • The Hermit Thrush Sings
  • Sand Chronicles, Volume 3
  • Silverfall: Stories of the Seven Sisters (Forgotten Realms)
  • tactics, Volume 1
  • Power Of Un
  • Shadow's Witness (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #2)
  • W Juliet, Vol. 4
  • Winter Memories (Heartland Special Edition)
  • The Halls Of Stormweather (Sembia #1)
Terence Blacker wanted to be a jockey when he grew and up. In fact, he could ride before he could walk, and his childhood hero was the great steeplechaser Mill House (a horse). He lives in Norfolk, England.
More about Terence Blacker

Young Adult Deals

• A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Is the Story of You
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Don't Get Caught
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • So B. It
    $6.74 $1.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cloaked in Red
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99