Start by marking “The New Gay Teenager” as Want to Read:
The New Gay Teenager

The New Gay Teenager

3.11  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Gay, straight, bisexual: how much does sexual orientation matter to a teenager's mental health or sense of identity? In this down-to-earth book, filled with the voices of young people speaking for themselves, Ritch Savin-Williams argues that the standard image of gay youth presented by mental health researchers--as depressed, isolated, drug-dependent, even suicidal--may ha ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Harvard University Press (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The New Gay Teenager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Gay Teenager

Jesus (Ego)
Se me ha hecho más pesado de lo que pensaba a pesar de que su lectura en realidad es fluida y los resultados de los estudios están integrados bastante bien a lo largo de las exposiciones, testimonios y opiniones que aparecen. Le doy cuatro estrellas y no tres por el trabajazo que hay detrás, por el esfuerzo del autor por aclarar conceptos, exponer y demostrar realidades y, sobre todo, por desmontar lo que cientos de programas sociales, educativos e investigaciones han ido montando (en muchas oca ...more
David
May 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting take on purported changes in gay adolescents' experience of their sexuality. I had mixed reactions both substantively and stylistically, so I'll fall back on a 2 X 2 list structure:

Substance:

+ Makes a very good point that most research on gay youth has conceptualized them monolithically, without careful consideration of diversity within the group (by gender, age, race/ethnicity, urban/rural setting, etc.) and that most has been pathology-focused (correlations with substance abuse and
Sarah Sammis
Oct 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Sarah by: NPR All Things Considered
I heard Savin-Williams recently on NPR's All Things Considered discussing his 2005 book, The New Gay Teenager. Intrigued by his assertion that most teenagers are happy, even the gay ones, and that bullying wasn't the guaranteed fate of LGBT youth as the media reports might have us believe, I decided to read his book.

For this review I'm pointing to two journal reviews of the book along with my more usual blog review posts as I'm not an expert in LGBT issues or child psychology. As I continue with
Jantine
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
A must-read for every researcher in the field of LGB youth. I was fascinated and blown away when I first read it. It was en eye-opener for me. However, I have become more critical now, since I wonder whether his message that western youth are post-gay and don't care about their sexual oriention is tenable for whole new generation or only a privileged subgroup. Nevertheless, it let me reflect in new ways about same-sex sexuality.
Emily Burke
Apr 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: queer
This book was depressing. The entire premise is that gay teens no longer feel passionately about political issues, specifically ones that effect the LGBT community. I know this isn't true, thank god. We are still passionate, angry, and determined to effect change in the world. I hate the idea that once we gain acceptance into mainstream society, we have to abandon the very thing that bonds us as a community.
Marco
Aug 13, 2007 rated it liked it
This book documents the change in social science's perceptions of gay teenagers and gay culture in general since the 1960/1970s. This book helps explain some of the more interesting cultural changes and revolutions in our lifetime, including the sudden anti-gay feelings that arose during the 1980s and 1990s and the targeting of gay youth for anti-suicide and anti-drug abuse resources.
TimeyWimeyBooks
May 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Had to read this for class and I wish there was a better book. I have to agree that this books has some odd theories, like that there is no LGBT teen anymore, that they are no longer marginalized - which is a lie. And LGBT youth are no longer activists, which I also don't think is true.
EJ
Jul 02, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in gay studies
I read this book while doing a report on todays gay teenagers. It helped a bit...I wouldnt recommend this book to everyone.
Cherene
Apr 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Required reading for a class. This book was repetitive and not very informative or interesting.
Amy
Feb 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Whenever I'm forced to read a book (for school) I never enjoy it. This had some interesting research but overall I thought it was dry.
Nichole
Jul 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: glbt
This book was boring and not at all what I thought it would be.
Brandon Shire
Jan 31, 2011
Chris Sonnenberg
Dec 10, 2014
Chris
rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2007