Start by marking “Stepping Up” as Want to Read:
Stepping Up

Stepping Up

When life gets tough, you’ve got to step up.

Surrounded by good friends and able to indulge her passion for dance, Jenna’s life seems perfect. But when her dad loses his job, everything changes. Rather than quit dancing, Jenna scrambles to find a way to pay her own tuition. Unfortunately, she soon finds that starting her own business is more than she bargained for. Can she
Published March 6th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Stepping Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stepping Up

Start your review of Stepping Up
Heather Hayden
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stepping Up is a story about hope, determination, and most of all, friendship. It’s about a girl, Jenna, who loves to dance. Jazz, ballet, hip-hop… She takes several classes at a local dance school and loves every moment of it (even when dealing with Moira, her top rival.)

As the story begins, Jenna’s dance lessons become threatened when her dad is laid off from work. No longer able to afford her lessons, her parents tell her she will have to quit.

Jenna, is of course, devastated. I would be, too,
Maggie Larche
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
READERS' FAVORITE REVIEW By Anne-Marie Reynolds

Stepping Up (True Girls) (Volume 3) by Maggie M Larche is the third in a series of preteen novels. Jenna has what seems to be the perfect life. One day something happens to change everything; her father loses his job. That means there is no money for the extras in life, like Jenna’s dance classes. Rather than give them up, she comes up with a way to earn the money to pay for them herself. She decides to start her own dance class for young children.
Patrick Hodges
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Maggie Larche has written several books about kids of middle school age, and I think this one is my favorite.

Jenna loves dance. It's her favorite thing. But when her father suddenly loses his job, she realizes that her expensive dance lessons are a luxury their family can no longer afford. So, taking a cue from her older brother, she decides to earn extra money on the side by giving very young girls the benefit of her experience.

While this story is very much about being enterprising and adapting
Leslie Barrett
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Every now and then, I like to step back into middle school. Reading Stepping Up by Maggie M. Larche took me right back to being a 12 year old girl learning the ins and outs of friendship, autonomy, and navigating those rocky (and sometimes self-absorbed) waters of adolescence.

In Stepping Up, the main character Jenna is faced with the reality of what her dance lessons actually cost when her dad loses his long-held job. The family is faced with cutting back on non-necessities, and even though Jenn
Kathryn Harrison
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
THIS INSPIRING STORY IS SURE TO HAVE A POSITIVE IMPACT ON YOUNG READERS

This encouraging tween girl book is written with relevant, straightforward prose and has plenty of unexpected plot twists to keep readers involved. The spirited main character is engaged in relationships with several other diverse characters, rich with humor and insight, including best friends, rivals and first crushes.

But perhaps more importantly, this inspiring story covers several significant themes for young girls. It int
Melanie
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
“Stepping Up” follows Jenna Marlow, a feisty girl of twelve whose love of dance takes a blow when her father loses his job and the family must cut costs—including Jenna’s dance lessons. Determined to not give up on her dreams of being the best dancer at class, Jenna decides to put on her entrepreneurial hat and earn her tuition by holding dance lessons for younger kids. In the process Jenna discovers the value of friendship, family, and even romance with her brother’s best friend.

This was a swee
251 Things To Do
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read for kids/tweens of all ages. In Stepping Up, Jenna is a surprisingly mature and driven student. After discovering her father lost his job, she is quick to determine that she needs to to step up her game in order to continue pursuing her passion for dance. All of a sudden, tossing herself into entrepreneurship, she tries to raise the funds to cover her tuition.

A wonderful role model, Jenna demonstrates that by being determined, following your passions with hard work and dedicatio
A.B. Syed
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dance lessons are how much? Jenna Marlow's peaceful life and love of dance are disrupted when her father loses his job. Her beloved dance lessons become a luxury their family now can't afford. But, spurred on by her brother's attempts to raise money to pay for his own karate lessons, Jenna finds more creative ways to raise the money she needs.

We really enjoyed reading about Jenna and her friends. The story is very well written and easily draws the reader in. The characters and dialogue are reali
Helen Yeomans
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
When Jenna’s dad loses his job, the family has to cut back on extras. Faced with losing her beloved dance classes, Jenna has to figure out a way to pay for them herself.

She decides to start a dance class for pre-schoolers but soon discovers it’s easier said than done. Eventually she breaks down and tells her closest friends about her dad, and they unite to help Jenna.

Stepping Up is a story about life’s unexpected turns, and how we deal with them. It’s the story of a 12-year-old who takes her f
Wendi Wilson
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! I don't usually read middle grade, so I was quite surprised that I loved it as much as I did. The story is one of friendship, struggle, responsibility, and learning to focus on others instead of just yourself and your own problems.
The characters are as smart and enterprising as they are likable and entertaining. Jenna and her friends have real, believable camaraderie and her brother is hilarious. The description is clear- I could see the entire story playing out in my head as
J.L. Hunt
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I lOVED this book! I have to admit, I'm not usually a fan of long chapter books, but this one kept my interest & was an enjoyable read. I felt sucked into the story as if I were there...a part of every dance move & step:-) A beautiful & relatable storyline about family & friendship. ...more
Jacci
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a fun middle grade friendship story. This book has it all, a good strong family, a circle of friends and an obstacle to overcome. The author has several books in this series so if your child likes this one there are more adventures to come.
Arden Battaglia
Lisa Cobb Sabatini
Rachel
Angela Dennis
Mar 16, 2016

• The Power of Teamwork! (Diary of a Super Girl #3)
  • The Warning
  • Avengers: Heroes Welcome #1
  • Batman: Gotham Adventures (1998-) #1
  • What Reggie Did on the Weekend: Seriously! (The Reggie Books Book 1)
  • Batman: Gotham Knights #1
  • Detective Comics #27 Special Edition
  • Batman #7
  • Guardian (Angel #1)
  • Sophie Washington: Queen of the Bee
  • Angel / Julia Jones - The Teenage Years / Slave to a Vampire / My Brother is an Outcast
  • Flawed Chapters 1-5
  • Fitting In: (Is Hard to Do) (Book 1)
  • Invisible (Invisible, #1)
  • Out of the Shadows (The Tacket Secret Book 1)
  • Summer Unplugged (Summer Unplugged, #1)
  • Batman Adventures (2003-2004) #1
  • Autumn Unlocked (Summer Unplugged, #2)
Maggie M. Larche loves to sing, read, and swing right alongside her kids. All of her stories feature courageous, smart, funny kids, because that's who her readers are!

She is the author of the award-winning Striker Jones series, a groundbreaking approach to teach economics to children through mystery stories.

Join her mailing list at www.maggiemlarche.com and get a free download of her new hilarious

News & Interviews