Start by marking “The Hereafter” as Want to Read:

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Nin has no recollection of her death.

The things she does remember, like her cruel boyfriend, troubled father, and absent mother, she’d like to forget.

Dylan doesn’t need to remember his death to know that he deserved it. Who needs memories when you have the scars?

Sparks ignite when the two, very different, strangers meet. Together they spend one endless summer exploring
Kindle Edition
Published March 18th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Hereafter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hereafter

Lonna | FLYLēF
FLYLēF Book Reviews

Original Post: The Hereafter at FLYLēF (www.flylef.com) with rating of 4.5 of 5 ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

❝ Inevitability and impossibility coexisted. ❞

In this profound novel, The Hereafter, debut author Jessica Bucher delivers a beautiful and complex love story about the interplay of second chances and forgiveness, in a deeply philosophical contemplation of inevitability and impossibility. This is no ordinary story about young love—this is a story to be loved.

I’m inexplicably drawn to characters that are a li
Erin
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kindle

What happens when we die? Who is waiting for us on the other side? If we're dead, how do we spend our days? Can we change the past? The Hereafter opens on a beach with 18 year old Evangeline(Nin) who realizes that she's dead. She just cannot remember what events led to this happening. It is on this same beach that she meets Dylan, also newly arrived on the afterlife beach. Nin and Dylan spend their days seeking adventure and travelling to all the places they always wanted to go. Ultima
Phoebe Prince
The Hereafter features Nin and Dylan, two teens who find themselves dead. Neither of them have memories of their deaths. Nin 'awakes' at peace--on a beach and in a seemingly idyllic place. Dylan find himself dead in a dumpster--disaffected and angry and bitter. At first, Nin and Dylan seem like they can't be different people.

This story plays with memories, which I love. There's an insubstantial quality to the Hereafter, which alternates with 'Before' chapters. Boucher's flowing, wispy prose aids
Sue @crushingcinders Holmes
* I was voluntarily provided a free review copy by the publisher.
The Hereafter is a sweet, but insipid happily-ever-after story. The writing style created a barrier almost like a wispy mist leaving the reader on the outskirts rather than plunging the reader into the story to experience the characters first hand.
Tash
**I received this ebook from Netgalley & the publisher in exchange for an honest review**

I honestly really liked this book, though at times I did feel like it dragged on a little too bit, but overall I liked how the book shows that you really don't know what is waiting for you in the afterlife. I grew up my whole life learning about different types and forms of the afterlife that wait for us after we die, therefore I've always been very curious about it and all the variety of different belie
Michelle (Bookaholic Banter)
Brilliantly written, perfectly executed! I adored every single thing about this book. This is a story of love, fate, and destiny. Dylan and Nin are my OTP. I loved them so much!

This story was so cleverly written. It kept me in suspense and I really wasn't sure how it was going to play out. There were some moments that shocked me and that I didn't see coming. It all came together so well. This book played with my emotions. It had me sad, then happy. It gave me all the feels. It was a tragic yet
Michelle MacQueen
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic story. When I realized this was a new author, I was amazed. It reads like she's been doing this for quite a while.

Nin and Dylan are both great characters with tragic pasts. Nin is grieving the loss of her father when she falls in with the wrong people and ends up dead and living in an after-life with only Dylan for company. Dylan didn't just fall in with bad people, he was one of those bad people and he has a secret that could tear them apart.

But, what if you didn't have to
Diana
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, fantasy, favorites
First thought right after I finished reading: "Because I haven't been crying enough lately." I was kind of a mess (all for my own reasons) the last few days while reading this, but then as I was getting to the end I knew this was going to shatter me.
I was already cracked this just needed to finish me off.

This had me from the very beginning, I was ready to give it the five stars long before I even hit the halfway point. It's an amazing, one of a kind story that I absolutely fell in love with. It'
North of Normal Book Reviews
* Reviewed by eKelly for North of Normal Book Reviews

Just…Wow. Have the aspirin ready because you’re in for a serious book hangover after reading this.

THE HEREAFTER by Jessica Bucher is Young Adult/Crossover standalone fantasy romance.

Jessica Bucher is a new author to me. I saw this title offered on NetGalley, and the description of the book sounded so different I wanted to check it out.

From the blurb I knew to expect something unconventional, and boy did I get it.

Nin and Dylan have no recollect
Jai
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I stopped reading at 28% as I found the characters bland and their interactions not particularly interesting. I started reading this shortly after completing an adorable YA novel with an incredibly charming MC and loveable secondary characters. I was hoping to meet another instantly loveable character in Hereafter, but I found both the male and female protagonists far less intriguing.

The concept of two characters meeting in the afterlife was definitely fascinating to me. I absolutely loved The
Megan
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 3-star
I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

The Hereafter
was fairly enjoyable, although I didn't find as many good things in it as I expected. For starters, it took me a while to get into it, and I found Nin's parts boring at first. For quite a while, Nin and Dylan just seemed to be skirting around each other and nothing was moving the plot forward. I mean, they didn't introduce themselves until 15%! The characterisation was good, once I'd gotten past the
Emmyjo
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where to begin with this wonderful story?
We first meet Nin, a young woman who is going to be graduating from high school very soon. Her best friend Serena and her planned out their future for California. However Nin's dad is upset and doesn't want her to go away really. See Nin has been helping clean up her dad's mess almost her whole life because her mom couldn't deal and left. She lives with her dad and grandma. Her dad battles with drinking and depression. But when something happens that's ou
Patrick Hodges
What happens to us when we die? What if we could somehow find a way to atone for our sins and come back with a clean slate?

Jessica Bucher's debut novel, The Hereafter, is a wonderfully-crafted love story about two teenagers who both meet tragic ends to their lives, ends that are more connected than either one realizes at first. Nin, wracked with guilt about her father's suicide, has thrown herself in with an abusive, cruel boyfriend. Dylan, a product of a broken home, has turned to crime.

When th
Tamara
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and well written debut novel that came recommended by Author Amanda Richardson. I loved how this story was being told in both main character's POV, as well as in the present, and in the past. I'm not a paranormal reader but this aspect didn't throw me off at any time. Suffice you go in with an open mind. The story is written in a perfect and engaging pace that left me wondering what I would find on the next page or in the next chapter, and all the while asking myself how this would e ...more
Amber Carroll
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hereafter by Jessica Bucher!!! I got this book to host a review book tour stop, and I was not disappointed in the book at all!!!! I am really surprised that this was Jessica's first book! The way she wrote this story it perfectly unfolded and didn't drag out, end to soon, or leave the readers asking questions like most new authors!!! This story had me captivated with the tale of love after death and the story how true love can save a persons life!!! I can't wait to see what this author comes ...more
Amanda Richardson
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a heartwarming story...

I had the privilege of reading an earlier draft of this novel and I can safely say that Jessica is going places! This story has so many layers, and the ending unravels in such a beautiful way. I don't want to give anything away, but premise is totally unique and the writing is superb. I'm so excited to read more from this talented author!
Megan
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
While this is a book about teenagers falling head over heels in love, it takes a unique approach. I always get caught up in TV shows that use the whole flashback/flash forward approach to reveal pieces of a story, so I found this book hard to put down. I had many ideas of how it might have ended and I think I would have been ok with any of them including how it actually ended.
Mia
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVED it! A very unique love story.
Melissa Craven
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yabc-shelf
A True Gem...
See my full review on YA Books Central
Amy Blanchard
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story! Love how it is told from the different perspectives of the main characters. I didn't want it to end!
Courtney
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teens, netgalley
This was an interesting story. You have Nin waking up in a white room alone and wondering what is going on. She realizes she is dead, but has no memory of her death. She sits on the beach day in and day out, until one day there is a boy on the beach. Dylan wakes from his death in an alley. He finds himself on the beach drawn to the girl but doesn't know why. The two form a friendship that eventually develops into more. They realize they can go anywhere they want by just thinking of it, so they t ...more
Gill
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get into this book, it began very slowly - Nin and Dylan spent far too long skirting around each other which made the plot very static and made chunk of the book a dull read - once it got going though, it was an enchanting story about the complexity of love, second chances and forgiveness.
Both the main characters have troubled pasts, they’re a little bit broken and defeated. And dead. Neither of them remember anything much at all about their deaths but sparks fly when th
Gemma F
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Thank you to Netgalley for sending me an eARC review copy of this novel.

Wow. Where do I start?

The Hereafter was a story filled with themes of the afterlife. I was drawn to this book as I always wondered how other people thought of death and the afterlife. How they felt about it.

This book truly moved me. It was so beautifully written with realistic and flawed characters. The themes of friendship, love, and the ugliness of life combined with the Before and After chapters truly made this book a m
Keri (BooksWithKeri)
I wasn't too sure about this book at first, and the criticisms I have are ones that continued from the beginning - I found the pacing off in places and there were aspects of the story that I would have wanted to be mentioned before they became important.

However, I really enjoyed this book. I read most of it in one day. It's an easy read with some beautiful imagery. Nin and Dylan are incredibly relatable characters with how they deal with their grief and their abuses and how their worlds have sha
Elizabeth  Meyers
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

Amazing book!! I absolutely enjoyed it! I recommend this book. Its not what I thought it would be. The characters are wonderful as well as the story line.
Andrea
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps this was how all love stories are. True love lies in some deeper past, some twist of fate, the dying need to be with the other, but also to fix them. To make everything right.

With a lyrical, delicate and totally impeccable style "The Hereafter" is one of the most genuine, clean and original books I have had the pleasure of reading. Jessica Bucher is a writer who has magic between her fingers, and at the time of writing she doesn't hesitate to convey that magic to her readers. I am in fac
Cova M. Lee
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, which does not in any way affect the truthfulness of the following statement, that is nothing but my honest opinion.

Update: I have a giveaway of this book running over at my blog, which you can check out here! Open int.

I really enjoyed The Hereafter! I thought the story was unique and well-built, keeping the reader intrigued about what is going on for quite awhile (which I tend to like).

I really like
Lexie Hahn
Oct 09, 2016
Erinn
Dec 05, 2016
marlu gibson
Apr 18, 2016
  • The Toadhouse Trilogy (The Toadhouse Trilogy, #1)
  • John Dreamer
  • The Time Chamber: A Magical Story and Coloring Book (Time Adult Coloring Books)
  • Alice in Wonderland (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Luminaire (Florence Waverley, #2)
  • Pictures of the Night (Egerton Hall, #3)
  • Star-Child: A Fable by Oscar Wilde
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Hermetica of Elysium (The Elysium Texts, #1)
  • Love and Romanpunk (Twelve Planets, #2)
  • All You Need Is a Love Spell (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #7)
  • Fairy Tale Confessions
  • Lethal Inheritance (The Diamond Peak Series, #1)
  • Cain's Apples
  • A Healing Spirit (Riverview Series #2)
  • The Making of Nebraska Brown
  • A Connecticut Fashionista in King Arthur's Court
Jessica Bucher is a Young Adult author living in Texas with her husband and children. Her first book, The Hereafter, was published in 2016. When she’s not writing, editing, or chasing her kids, she can be found scrolling through Facebook or planning her next travel adventure.

Get to know Jessica more and join her launch group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/21743...

Follow updates and exclusives
More about Jessica Bucher

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Don't you ever get sad?' she asked.
"Sad? No, but what's the point of sadness. It's not like is makes you feel better or changes anything."
'No one chooses to be sad, Dylan.'
"Yeah, but you can choose not to be.”
0 likes