Start by marking “The Champagne Queen” as Want to Read:
The Champagne Queen

The Champagne Queen

(The Century Trilogy #2)

When Isabelle took a chance and eloped with Leon Feininger, her true love, she hadn’t stopped to consider what would happen next. Winter on his family’s isolated vineyard proves tougher than she expected, and Isabelle finds herself daydreaming, envisioning the wines she and Leon will make when they have their own land.

An unexpected inheritance opens a door for the newlywed
Published September 20th 2016 by Amazon Crossing (first published September 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Champagne Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Champagne Queen

Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
It is a good book, but in light of the other books I've been reading, I just can't give it 4 stars - mainly because the genre of the book is light and simple compared to the other more serious stuff I've been reading. I'd give it a solid 3.5 if I could though! I just wrote a very good review for a memoir of a mother with a child with Down syndrome, so writing a review on a lighter book is so hard right now - maybe you'll understand.

If you are looking for a well written cozy book about a strong w
Rebecca Rosenberg
I loved reliving the champagne region and a glimpse into the inner workings of making champagne. This is one of my go-to books to immerse myself in the sparkling world of champagne...a world i always miss when I am not there,researching my new novel, champagne widows!
Jool
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I consider any book by author Petra Durst-Benning to be a must-read. The Century Trilogy has proved once again to be exceptional by this author. These historical fiction books are captivating! I have pre-ordered the third book in this trilogy.
I highly recommend this book!
Teresita
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If the 1st book in the trilogy made me want to ride a bicycle, this one made me want to drink champagne and a go to a vineyard! Reminded me a lot if driving through Italy this spring. The book is the second of the series but could be read alone, however I highly recommend reading them in order. I think you get more out if/appreciate it more. Although this one didn't make me cry, it seems incredibly well researched. I also enjoy reading the author's notes at the end of the book, where she explain ...more
Lusie
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story, but thought it was sad when one of the characters died. That spoiled it from being a light romance. Though mainly it is a light read. Yet, I enjoyed the scenery and information about making champagne. I liked that Isabelle is a strong character who does her best to make something of the vineyard. One of the downsides of this story is that it is a bit long-winded and I felt bored with the story at times.
Jill
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I want to live in France in 1898 on a Champagne Vineyard.
Renate
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The three novels in The Century Trilogy may be read in any order. This was my favorite. Not only does Petra Durst-Benning tell an intriguing story, but her research about how champagne is produced is educational. The strength of women at the turn of the century before woman's suffrage was astounding. Women who forged their own paths against all odds. As a retired teacher, I enjoyed the theme of this story - Isabelle's curiosity and reading aided her in becoming a success. When Isabelle's husband ...more
Stefani
It was a bit on the long side and moved slow in certain parts but it was overall a very interesting read. You can tell the author has done her fair share of research on the topic of champagne making and such :D Definitely recommend that you check this book out if you are a fan of the bubbly and France. Lots of interesting details are thrown in (such as the champagne made by widows and cycling) and omg the French coutryside....take me to France please and thank you :)

Would definitely read more b
E
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won a Kindle version of this book on Goodreads.com.

I read the first book before starting this second in the sequence. Although it is not necessary it gives more background to some of the characters and sets the scene for this book. I loved this story. The historical facts, setting of the story, and depth of characters makes this a pleasurable read. It is both inspiring and heart wrenching; a love and hate story with twists and turns ending with wanting to read more about the characters and ti
Donna Bresnak
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a kindle copy of this book for free in return for a review. although this says it is a second book in a trilogy it really is not noticeable as such. it stands on its own.
I enjoyed reading about the winemaking region, the wine makers and of course the life of the main character, a woman who is strong and self reliant. The book is a delight to read. I recommend it .
Melissa
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Century Trilogy book 2

These books are remarkably researched! I feel like I could grow grapes in my own backyard after reading this book. This story follows one of the friends through her trials and tribulations as she learns to be a vintner. I cried, laughed and cheered. This was a wonderful read!
Nancy
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A life journey.

At the beginning I did not like the main character, I found here naive and unprepared for her new life. Isabelle proved everyone wrong after many struggles she rose and met all the difficult tasks. It really is a story about a young woman standing up for herself in the face of adversity. The book is very easy to read and the writing is good.
Audrey VerVer
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even more enjoyable than the first book.

This was the second book of a trilogy. I enjoyed it even more than the first book. Where it ended it only made me want more. Can't wait for the third in the trilogy.
Janet Foster
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Making champagne was interesting enough but the story being set in Europe made it much more interesting. Now I've read 5 of her books!
Em Gamache
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!

Very well written! I felt as if I were right there in Champagne, France. Complicated characters and a wonderful storyline.

Laurie Highsmith
I loved it. I couldn't put it down.
Andrew Farley
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love, Sabotage, and Champagne. What more could one want?

Though the story starts a bit slow, one quickly becomes invested in the main character Isabelle. At first she is snobbish and weak, but as she moves through the tempest of highs and lows her life presents she grows into a strong, resilient protagonist. Surrounding the strong female lead is a cast of multi-faceted characters that provide the love, support, and sometimes difficult truths that Isabelle needs in order to find herself when she f
Kate Lomax
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learning from The Glassblower Trilogy, I nearly gave this edition a miss, not really being able to imagine where the author could take our new friends, the characters onward. As much as I found the history and development of cycling in book one, I really didn't want to read more of the same. Petra does not disappoint in this fascinating edition, full of twists and turns, and plot spikes, that left even my eyebrows raised. I couldn't read it fast enough, finally buckling to an audio copy of the b ...more
Denise
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This, the second in the Trilogy, is a good continuation story of three school aged friends and how their friendship blossomed. Now we move from Germany to France and see one of girls, now a grown woman become a 'Queen of Champagne' but the sad and happier parts of this story have a few twists and turns encountered before that finally comes to happen! A most interesting and well written book (which one would expect from Petra Durst-Benning) lots of technical insight into the makings of Champagne ...more
Vivien Joan Lynn
Courage over adversity

Isabelle leaves Berlin to run away with Leon, the love of her life. Her parents cut her off disappointed with her choice. A surprise inheritance begins an adventure in champagne country and all that it entails. Now living in France and away from family and friends back home in Berlin Isabelle encounters tragedy and has to surmount many obstacles to survive and make a success of Leon's legacy.
Paula Spencer
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating.

Another beautiful novel from Petra, and a beautiful sequel. This told us the continuing story of the three friends from Berlin but this time concentrating on Isabelles story. A story of love and loss but also of hope. A captivating tale set in champagne country. It took you there to the vines and grapes, the sights and smells. I am looking forward to the third part of this stunning trilogy.
Astrid Falkenberg
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like it as much as the first book, even though I was interested n the descriptions about champagne making and the references to the actual champagne families and areas in France. The plot was too contrived and not as well done as in the first book, but still kept me reading, as I wanted to know how it ended....
Cathy
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A salute to strong women!!

This book was very enjoyable; it is the second book in a trilogy,and I plan to buy the next one. The story is about a young couple who inherit a wine estate in France. Neither of them know anything about making wine (champagne) but despite many tragedies success is achieved
Caragh Whitehead
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the trilogy so you get to meet the main characters again. However, instead of being based in Germany and about cycling, this time it is mainly set in France and it focus on the production of champagne. Again, like the first book, I love the detail that Petra goes into as well as the fact there are strong women characters. Looking forward to reading the final book.
Marie
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was book two of the trilogy that I plan on finishing by this author. I really enjoyed it but reading it on my Kindle I did not realize how long it was which is why it took me a bit longer than usual. I do enjoy longer books that allow you to get immersed in the scenery and the characters' environments. This book was perfect for that. I really recommend book 1 and 2 so far.
Kimberly Rebholz
Excellent

I was so hoping that she would end up him him. I could almost feel the predator in the other gentleman. He was about himself and not what she was after. And then, suggesting to send the baby off. That was RIDICULOUS! I wanted to slap him for even thinking it. He is no different than the witch of the vineyards.
Rhoda Becker
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wine and Love

When I want a light read, I enjoy historical fiction. I love this author because I always learn something new about a profession while relaxing into the story. I also like learning about the general time the story is set in.
Kelsi Kamper
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating

I couldn’t put this story down. I read the first in the series before and took breaks. This story line, however, is much more dramatic and interesting. I lived learning about the champagne region and the love story going on was suspenseful as well. I recommend!
Courtney
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming and courageous characters

Loved the cultural settings and challenges that the characters faced. Strong women creating their happy ending in a time and world that tryed to dismiss them.
Judee
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting story.

I enjoyed this book much better than the first book in the series. The characters were very detailed and as the story progressed, I could hardly put the book down. A thrilling tale of a young woman who makes lemonade out of the lemons that fate throws her.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Der Klang des Muschelhorns (Feuerblütensaga, #2)
  • Dispute Over a Very Italian Piglet
  • Burden of Desire
  • Things Can Only Get Feta: Two Journalists and Their Crazy Dog Living Through the Greek Crisis
  • The Fifth Servant
  • Appetite
  • The Ruby in Her Navel
  • Chez Moi
  • Sipping from the Nile: My Exodus from Egypt
  • Another Country (Emigrants Trilogy #2)
  • Murder, Handcrafted (Amish Quilt Shop Mystery #5)
  • Murder in Passy (Aimee Leduc Investigations #11)
  • The Cross and the Dragon
  • Captain Blackwell's Prize (Blackwell's Adventures, #1)
  • Love Lessons From Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Rain Song
  • William Shakespeare and Others: Collaborative Plays
  • The Last Sacrifice (Dominion Trilogy)

The Century Trilogy (3 books)
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy #1)
  • The Queen of Beauty (The Century Trilogy #3)