Start by marking “Other Lives for the Desert” as Want to Read:
Other Lives for the Desert

Other Lives for the Desert

Johan Nivens is a young filmmaker with unrelenting wanderlust and a penchant for adventure. When his Los Angeles lifestyle loses its luster, brought on by a waning relationship, demoralizing day job, and smoggy future, Johan enrolls to become a long-haul truck driver, careening across North America on eighteen wheels in search of the answer to one question: What the hell ...more
Published March 30th 2016 by Runaway Poets Press

To ask other readers questions about Other Lives for the Desert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Other Lives for the Desert

Start your review of Other Lives for the Desert
René
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Vivid flâneur novel! Johan Nivens, a filmmaker grown weary of working menial jobs in LA, enrolls in trucker training and takes to the roads of America in search of aliveness and truth.

The language is playful, skipping from inner dialogue to poetic evocations to plain descriptions, and does a stunning job of tying together the narrative with Johan's state of mind and the way he both grasps at his reality and lets it go/happen. There's real insight interspersed all through it and the imagery and
David Jaggard
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this book because I love to read about ways of life that are far removed from my own existence and that I will never, barring reincarnation, experience first-hand. So I particularly liked the passages, which constitute roughly half of the book, that describe the experience of learning to drive and then driving a truck.
My favorite bits answer the questions that the non-truck-driving person wonders about but has no one to ask:
What is it like being in control of, and responsible
Harold Walters
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A GoodReads GiveAway

When I travel [Dare I say because Im anal?!], even if its only a short trip to the Capitol City I always pack underwear and an extra pair jeans just in case.

After all, you never know when something a virus, a bite of rank beef, whatever might overpower your bowels and cause you to go whoopsie in your under-drawers, eh bys?

So, how could I not jump into the passenger seat of a novel that opens with this sentence: I hadnt shat my pants since the third grade

Almost out of the
Susanne
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is about Steve Nahaj's temporary job as a trucker, but really it is mostly about dreaming of freedom, experiencing the land and making acquaintances with people (or even a dog). Beautiful poetic writing and a must-read for anyone who likes traveling and who is curious about who or what they will encounter on the road.
Monika
Andrew
Joy Adams
Shana M. Garrity
Apr 25, 2016
Steve Nahaj has been writing and wandering for the past decade. His work is based on his escapades, which include one year traveling North America via semi truck, and two rambling with bohemians in Paris. Steve's narratives comprise coming-of-age folly, grapples with anxiety, and mindfulness. He is also founder of the Runaway Poets publishing collective & web series.

News & Interviews

Mary Pauline Lowry knows a thing or two about being stuck at home when you don't want to be. After all, the premise of her newest novel, The Rox...