Start by marking “No Man's Land (John Puller, #4)” as Want to Read:
No Man's Land (John Puller, #4)

No Man's Land

(John Puller #4)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  36,046 ratings  ·  2,125 reviews
Special Agent John Puller, combat veteran and the army's most tenacious investigator, is back in this action-packed thriller from worldwide #1 bestselling author David Baldacci.
NO MAN'S LAND

Two men. Thirty years.

John Puller's mother, Jackie, vanished thirty years ago from Fort Monroe, Virginia, when Puller was just a boy. Paul Rogers has been in prison for ten years. B

Hardcover, Large Print, 656 pages
Published November 15th 2016 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about No Man's Land, please sign up.
Keri You probably wouldn't *have* to read the first 3, but you'd understand John Puller and his family a whole lot better if you did. Besides, they're real…moreYou probably wouldn't *have* to read the first 3, but you'd understand John Puller and his family a whole lot better if you did. Besides, they're really good reads! Why deprive yourself? ;)(less)
Alan Marston Just read the fourth book, and although there is a possibility that the resolution of this book could mean that we have read the last chapter in the s…moreJust read the fourth book, and although there is a possibility that the resolution of this book could mean that we have read the last chapter in the series, somehow I think that Baldacci will want to keep the character(s) going.(less)

·  36,046 ratings  ·  2,125 reviews

Start your review of No Man's Land (John Puller, #4)
Bibi
Nov 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book feels dated.

Worse than that, it's been done so many times and by other writers of the Thriller/Crime genre.

Furthermore, the story was contrived.

No matter how much we go on about the six degrees of separation: to have all the players of a story conveniently placed (for the first time in 30 years) within mere miles from each other was unbelievable and reeked of writer manipulation.

Mr. Baldacci has written some of my favorite books (Saving Faith; Absolute Power) but No Man's Land is me
Matt
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Baldacci proves why he is the master of his genre with another exciting novel in his John Puller series. After returning from his latest military assignment, John Puller is visited by two military officials with potential news of a cold case from thirty years before. Jacqueline "Jackie" Puller left the family home one evening after supper, leaving her sons, John Jr. and Robert, with a babysitter. When she did not return, her disappearance was investigated, but no changes were ever laid. Accompan ...more
Luffy
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, page-turner
This has to be one of the most deserving, strong choice for 5 stars. Two for Puller, two for Robert Puller, and one for Puller Senior. The book has a military root, from which Baldacci grows his plot, and making all the threads bloom in unison.

I had always though that the smaller the chapters, and the greater the chapter numbers, the more addictive I'll find the book. But, in this case, The fair-length chapters are readable because of the content, not the format.

The story is one of good vs evil.
Monnie
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, I want to kick back and read a book or two just for the pure pleasure of it. Such is the case now, when the notion of cooking Thanksgiving dinner for two groups of relatives on two different days has had me stressed out for a month. So, I put my ever-growing stack of free-for-review books aside and turned to new entries by a few of my favorite authors.

And oh, what a relief it is! This is the fourth in the John Puller series, and I've been looking forward to reading it ever since I lea
Sean Peters
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
No Man's Land is David Baldacci's fourth instalment of the great character John Puller.

At the heart of this story is a tragedy that has clawed at John Puller heart for more than three decades.

As a boy, Puller’s mother went missing. The ensuing investigations and searches into her disappearance went nowhere, and she was never heard from again. Now, for the first time in thirty years, new evidence has surfaced.

Puller’s father, John Sr., who is now fighting dementia in a VA hospital, had always to
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Once again have I read the latest book in a series without having read the previous books. That's my special power. Well, it's probably just that I keep on discovering series when a couple of books have been released. I always see that as a good thing, when the book is really good because now I know that I have several books to read. And, No Man's Land was good, pretty awesome actually. I found myself really enjoying the story and its characters.

I always love when a story deals with old cases, a
Ed
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Tediously predictable mystery about the Puller family while the General's health deteriorates. Very disappointing!
Jim
I usually enjoy David Baldacci's books and I did enjoy the first couple of books in the John Puller series. The last two, and particularly this one, not too much. This book was entertaining ... in a comic book sort of way. I probably would have given this book 2.5 stars if Goodreads allowed half stars.

The story opens with introducing the reader to Paul Rogers who is in prison. He has been there for ten years for killing someone. But now Rogers is being paroled. He has plans now that he is free a
Melenia
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I was soooo excited to read this book! All of his other John Puller books have rated four and five stars with me and I think in my head I had moved them all to a five star rating, because I couldn't wait to get my hands on this one....

and I am so disappointed. This book was so so stupid, in my opinion. I just kept wanting it to end. My favorite person was Paul and I am not happy that I found Puller so unlikable in this book. As it is a series and not a one off I want the main character to be my
Tim
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
After an irritatingly slow start with one interesting character, this story finally takes off like a rocket in the second half. While the first half could have been better written, Mr. Baldacci makes amends in the end. 8 of 10 stars
Skip
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid effort by Baldacci. John Puller Jr. is once again drawn into a family drama when a dying woman accuses his father (Fighting John Puller, a three-star general suffering from dementia) of murdering his mother some thirty years ago. Despite threats from many sources, Puller discovers a serial killer was active in the area, and the investigators were told to stay away. Meanwhile, a killer is released from prison and is seeking retribution against the person who made him into one. Inexo ...more
kartik narayanan
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
No Man's Land is basically Weapon X meets John Puller.

I love this book. It has Wolverine (or the closest equivalent we are going to have given IPR etc.) in this book and he is out for revenge on the guys who made him a weapon. Sounds familiar? Yup, it is the plot of every other Wolverine movie out there. What makes this enjoyable is this storyline mixing with John Puller's quest to find his missing mother of 30 years.

Grand conspiracies abound. We have returning characters. Evil geniuses smirk th
Terri Wino
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: year-2017
Well this one definitely kept my interest and didn't seem like the 417 pages it was. My only beef, and the reason it didn't get another star, is I just found some of this story so far-fetched and unbelievable. I don't want to go into details and possible spoilers, so I'll just leave it at that.
Regardless, Baldacci always delivers an engrossing story.
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
As I've said before I'm not overall a David Baldacci fan. I find there are books of his I like and books I thoroughly dislike. This series so far has been firmly in the like category. While at times the character's points of view may annoy they don't run over the books story nor distort the characters themselves.

This is the 4th in the John Puller series and our hero with the Army's CID (Criminal Investigation Division) again goes of the reservation in an investigation he's been ordered "off of"
Mike French
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wild ride from start to finish! Very enjoyable and entertaining!
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
TITLE: No Man's Land
SERIES: John Puller (Army CID/Investigation) - #4

AUTHOR: #4David Baldacci
RELEASED: New release, (November or December...I'll add this later), 2016

KEYWORDS/GENRE: Mystery, fiction, new fiction, thriller, military, investigation, murder, Army, government, male lead/main character, unsolved crime(s), Army CID, federal law, law enforcement.

MY GOODREADS RATING (0-5 star scale): 4.5 "Fighting John Puller" stars.

MY THOUGHTS (purely an expression of my OPINIONS):

Truly excellent stor
Fred
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
John Puller (main character) is a Army CID (Criminal Investigation Division) officer. He investigates his mom, Jackie, disappearance while his family lived 30 years ago in Fort Monroe, Virginia - he wants the truth!
John Puller Sr. (Dad) was a 3-star Army general, now in VA care center with Dementia (memory disease). Was expected of murder when she disappeared? Or did she run away?

Veronica Knox of NSA (National Security Agency) helps Puller solve the case. Maj. Bobby Puller (brother - Air Force)
Deborah
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The Escape it was personal for John Puller as his older brother Robert had supposedly escaped from jail. #Spoileralert – he was innocent of all charges and is back in the army where he’s seemingly doing exciting and important things.

John’s back in CID and continues to be held in high esteem as a military investigator, but he’s again caught up in a case that’s personal… and one that’s not officially his.

There’s a concurrent plot running through this novel and it centres around the release of a
Gloria ~ mzglorybe
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm never disappointed by Baldacci. This is a great series. John Puller is a CID officer in the U.S. Army (Criminal Investigation). #4 in this series brings us again to the opening scene of John sitting in the rest home with his aging father, a former General revered by many, but now in the late stages of Alzheimer's. As he is visiting his father two officers come in to give him the news that some information has come to light with discrepancies in a 30-year old case involving the disappearance ...more
Susan
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the last John Puller story, but I still don't find this character all that interesting. I still read everything Baldacci writes. His bad stuff is still always pretty good.
Freda Malone
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Puller brothers are at it again. When they said “Army Strong” they weren’t kidding and it shows in this #4 of a sequel. John Puller was just a little boy when his mother mysteriously went missing 30 years ago. Puller’s father thinks she just up and left them. The Army gets a letter and all hell breaks loose. Puller Sr., who is now in a home with Alzheimer's, is accused of killing his wife and the Puller brothers decide to aggressively pursue the case. Taken place in Fort Monroe, VA, on post ...more
Shrikanth Venne
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again a amazing book by Mr Baldacci. His books are always keep the reader stick to the book. This book is the 4th installment of John puller. In this book he identifies how his mother disappears. And this book is also about Paul Rogers who wants to avenge someone for his present situation. How both the stories are linked is what this book is about. Would not spoil saying the story its a worth reading. Overall I would say it is a awesome Goodread... 😊
Bill
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every time I read a book from the Amos Decker series I think that is David Baldacci's best series going. Every time I read a book from the Will Robie series I think that is his best. So accordingly, each John Puller entry causes me to consider that this may be his best series! They are all interesting, entertaining, and fun to read! I'm not an expert literary critic but I do definitely enjoy reading each of these series of books.
Wesley
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
An ok book. Started out strong with an interesting plot.
Kept my interest for 3/4 of the book.
Terri
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This had no surprises, was totally predictable, and I thought it would never end.
Corey
Another great Baldacci flick! No Man's Land is the 4th outing of CID Officer John Puller!

This time Puller is on another personal case, he has received a letter saying that his father (who has dementia that has progressively gotten worse since the last book) has something to do with the mysterious disappearance of Puller's mother 30 years ago. The authorizes have ordered Puller to stay away from the case but he refuses, and tries to put the pieces together about his past and discover the truth.
Renee
Great series! My only question is—when does book 5 come out? :)
Rick
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great installment in the John Pulled series. Stretches credulity somewhat, but still very worthwhile. Recommended.
~Bellegirl91~
(I'm going to try and use GIFS for the first time in my review so bear with me haha my internet at home sucks cause so many people in the family are on it so I hope they show up.....)

4 1/2 stars......

So this had such a strong beginning especially when Baldacci introduces a new main character Paul Rogers. You're first reaction when you hear he had injured like break bones injure with his bare hands in prison.....oh and he even killed someone with his bare hands as well it gets you thinking

description/

and the
Patricia Williams
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite authors and I always enjoy his books. Another book where I could not put it down, just kept reading until I finished. Love the mystery and intrigue. Two characters who you know will become intertwined and they do, one an Army man and one a "bionic man". Never read a bad book by this author. Definitely recommend if you like mystery and suspense.
Setting 3 15 Jun 07, 2018 11:47AM
Monthly Best-Sell...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Fiction BOTM 2017-01 6 10 Jan 23, 2017 07:49AM

• Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch, #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • The Wrong Side of Goodbye (Harry Bosch, #19; Harry Bosch Universe, #28)
  • The Late Show (Renée Ballard, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #29)
  • Past Tense (Jack Reacher, #23)
  • Night School (Jack Reacher #21)
  • Dark Sacred Night (Harry Bosch, #21; Renée Ballard, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #31)
  • Cross the Line (Alex Cross, #24)
  • Escape Clause (Virgil Flowers, #9)
  • The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #18; Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #27)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #33)
  • Two Kinds of Truth (Harry Bosch, #20; Harry Bosch Universe, #30)
  • The Whistler (The Whistler, #1)
  • The Midnight Line (Jack Reacher, #22)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • Make Me (Jack Reacher, #20)
  • The Guardians
  • The Fifth Witness (Mickey Haller, #4; Harry Bosch Universe, #22)
David Baldacci has been writing since childhood, when his mother gave him a lined notebook in which to write down his stories. (Much later, when David thanked her for being the spark that ignited his writing career, she revealed that she’d given him the notebook to keep him quiet, "because every mom needs a break now and then.”) He published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996; it was subsequ ...more

John Puller (4 books)
  • Zero Day (John Puller, #1)
  • The Forgotten (John Puller, #2)
  • The Escape (John Puller, #3)