Start by marking “Last Train from Perdition” as Want to Read:
Last Train from Perdition

Last Train from Perdition

(I Travel by Night #2)

Ever on the hunt for LaRouge, Lawson still travels by night, but no longer alone. Crack-shot, whip-smart Ann has become his companion, on her own search for her vampire-taken father and sister. Lawson has been summoned from New Orleans and the Hotel Sanctuaire to Omaha by a wealthy man who needs his son retrieved from a band of outlaws. Lawson and Ann agree to take the cas ...more
Published October 31st 2016 by Subterranean Press

Start your review of Last Train from Perdition
Jeffrey Keeten
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
”From a pocket inside his suit jacket he brought forth a small red bottle, a Japanese antique purchased in New Orleans. He uncorked it and wafted it back and forth under his nostrils. It was a heady scent that made iridescent colors bloom behind his eyes. Usually a spool of the thick crimson liquid would go into his favorite libation of rye whiskey, simple syrup and orange bitters, but tonight….

He drank just a sip, just enough to get a taste, just enough…”

photo LAST20TRAIN20FROM20PERDITION_zpsnbtrvize.jpg

Trevor Lawson had an unfortunate exp
Char
Trevor Lawson. His business card reads:

All Matters Handled
I Travel by Night

A civil war veteran, wounded during the battle of Shiloh, he is made into a vampire against his will. Trevor tries to make the best of things and becomes something of a private investigator, operating out of the Hotel Sanctuaire in 1886 New Orleans.

In the first story of this trilogy, I Travel By Night, we learn that Trevor wants out of the vampire way of life. As such, he refuses to drink the blood of humans unless i
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018

From the steamy swamps of Louisiana to the bitter cold valleys of the Rockies, Trevor Lawson travels by night, in search of LaRouge – the ancient beast that transformed him into a bloodsucking fiend. Along the way, to make ends meet, Trevor hires out his guns to people in need of a discreet and deadly private investigator.

In this second episode, Trevor and his sidekick Ann are sent to Montana in winter to extract the son of a wealthy Omaha businessman from the clutches of a gang of bank robbers.
Kimberly
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Unquestionably FIVE STARS!

LAST TRAIN FROM PERDITION, by Robert McCammon is the second book to feature Trevor Lawson, a man turned vampire in the 1800's, still retaining control of his humanity. Now accompanied by his human assistant, Ann Kingsley, Lawson continues to exist by solving problems for others, while all the while keeping an eye open for the Dark Society--the vampires that openly embrace their newfound killing prowess. It is rumored that there may be a way to turn oneself back into a h
Kenneth McKinley
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, own-kindle
The saga of Trevor Lawson continues. After the battle in Louisiana , LaRouge escapes and Lawson is forced to continue the search for her once more. This time, he has a sidekick. Ann's father was taken by LaRouge and now she joins Trevor to travel by night in search of answers. Their search is sidetracked when a wealthy business man hires them to go to Perdition, Montana to find and bring back his son who is running with an outlaw gang. When Trevor and Ann find his son, a shootout in the saloon e ...more
Bill
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent second installment in the I Travel By Night series. Trevor Lawson is a classic character and this one did exactly what it was supposed to do - Fill in some backstory, introduce some new and exciting characters and make you chomp at the bit for the next one. Check, check and check! I have a feeling that this series is about to get crazy in a big way. Can’t wait for the next one! No, seriously. I can’t wait. I want it now! Heeelllooo…Mr. McCammon?? Is this thing on? Hello…..? You can ...more
Chris
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, arcs, 2016-reads
I received an advance copy of this novella from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed the first installment in this series. With the introduction of two fascinating main characters and a whole entourage of evil vampires, this story started off with a bang. How can you go wrong with a vampire gunslinger? You can't. The whole premise is just great.

Now we reach the second installment in the series and a great story line just blossomed into what clearly is going
The Shayne-Train
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A rollicking Western vampire adventure!

The sequel to I Travel by Night, this one was even more nail-bitingly intense. Our vampire gunslinger Trevor Lawson has a new human sidekick, a new rescue mission for pay, and LESS control over his transformation into a heartless killbeast than ever before.

My only problems are that this is such a short tale, and that there's no more for me to sink my (ahem) teeth into!
description
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
A great follow-up novella to McCammon's, I TRAVEL BY NIGHT. The adventures of vampire gunslinger Trevor Lawson are so appealing, I wish McCammon would write a full length novel featuring this character.
Sherry Fundin
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Robert McCammon’s name is familiar to me and he is a prolific author of horror.

Last Train from Perdition is the second novella in the I Travel By Night series. I don’t feel like it made any difference in the reading by not having read the first novella, but I sure do want to now.

Trevor is a vampire, but not the vicious, human killing kind, though he does have a mighty thirst for blood…he drinks cattle blood, but it is a constant struggle to keep to that. He takes on a “job” to recover a man’s er
Mommacat
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Trevor Lawson was a soldier at the Battle of Shiloh when he was killed and turned into a vampire. This series is his story. LAST TRAIN FROM PERDITION is book two and begins with author Robert McCammon summarizing the first book for the reader. I appreciated this method as it gave the reader the option to read - or not, the summary. If you just read the first book, you could jump right in. Nice!

McCammon's writing as always is easy to read and flawless. He does not rely on the same old vampire tro
Pamellia
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Once again McCammon drew me into his story of Trevor Lawson, a vampire with a mission! I can't say enough about Robert's writing style. He will have you feeling snowy cold mountain air blowing through your hair on a hot summer day. You will feel the teeth of a city rat bite into your skin. Besides all that...you have a wonderful story to read and enjoy.

Open your mind to a new genre. You'll be glad you did.

Recommended to anyone who appreciates top quality writing and a good story from the old wes
Cheryl
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not as good as the first book in this series. Disappointing.
Albert
Nov 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Last Train from Perdition by Robert McCammon is the sequel and second book in the ongoing series that began with I Travel By Night. It is the tale of adventurer, gun for hire and reluctant vampire, Trevor Lawson. Now accompanied by Ann Kingsley, the woman whose father and sister were taken by the vampires in the first installment. Together they travel to find the vampire known as LaRouge in hopes of freeing Lawson from his curse.

Lawson is summoned to New Orleans by R. Robert Cavanaugh, a wealthy
Elke
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Trevor Lawson, the vampire gunslinger for hire, is back and he gets a new assignment: bring back the 'black sheep' son of a wealthy man. So Trevor and Ann travel to the town of Perdition, where they hope to find lost Eric. But in order to get him home, first they have to take on his new 'family' of gangsters - little do they now that this will be the easier part of their mission...

Of course, Trevor is also still searching for La Rouge, the vampire who turned him, in hopes of regaining his humani
Dave
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
As sequels sometimes go, not AS tight and/or as engaging as the first novella, I Travel By Night. However, the hokeyness is offset by more frightening vampiric gore reminiscent of Tarantino’s From Dusk ‘Til Dawn, a B movie set to print. Trevor Lawson, a Civil War soldier turned vampire, is now a hired bounty hunter. His quarry this time is a wealthy Nebraskan’s son, mixed up in a gang of ruffians. Bring him home and get paid handsomely. But as things tend to do, they go awry. Trevor and his slic ...more
Daniel Corey
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bigger, better and more badass ... this is how you do a sequel! What a wild ride. This novella does all the things that made the first one great, while also giving us a bit more backstory, introducing excellent new characters, significantly raising the stakes for our vampire hunter heroes, and setting the stage for what could be a very interesting third book. Loved every second of this!
Sharon
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoying this series a lot. The action sequences are great and the wild West setting interesting. Short and worth the time. Can't wait for the next.
Ralph Blackburn
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Last Train From Perdition by Robert McCammon- A novella sequel to "I Travel By Night" finds the vampire-for-hire Trevor Lawson, a former officer of the Confederate States of America, in 1886, tasked to bring home a wayward son to an important Oklahoma businessman. With sharpshooter Ann Kingsley by his side, Lawson is still in search of and wary of the Dark Society and the evil LaRouge, who turned him to what he has now become. He wants desperately to confront his maker and undo the terrible chan ...more
Calvin Dean
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Last Train from Perdition is the sequel to I Travel by Night where we're introduced to Trevor Lawson, a vampire who happens to be a hired gun. Lawson is in the process of "turning", but he's fighting the urge for blood and trying to remain human. This sets him on a trail for LaRouge, the lady who bit him. By drinking every last bit of her blood, the vampire gunslinger can revert to human form. But Lawson has been hired by a rich family to track others. In Last Train, he and Ann are bound for Per ...more
 Martin
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Robert McCammon has always been one of those writers...

Chris Bauer
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have to confess that I'm an utter fan of anything Robert McCammon writes. I still have an original first printing of "Boy's Life" from 1998 and read it every couple of years.

His latest series of novellas feature an interesting mix of weird Western and horror which I greatly enjoy. This latest installment picks up where the last left off. The basic premise of the plot is actually well-trod; vampire clings to humanity while seeking the Master who turned them in order to stave off the curse of t
Danielle
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This 2nd story about Trevor Lawson grabbed my attention much quicker than did "I Travel By Night." I enjoyed the story - about Trevor and Ann going to find a "prodigal" son to send him back to his family. I became especially intrigued with the new characters introduced at the end of the story. This obviously is not the end of Trevor and Ann's journey - there should definitely be more installments of this story (I hope). I do think that Ann has not really been given enough page time - she is an i ...more
Randy Robbins
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, monsters
I was a big Robert McCammon fan during the 80's into the 90's. I read every book he published and I still own all of them. But I'd read somewhere after 92's Gone South that he'd become disillusioned with the publishing world and wasn't writing anymore. At least that's what I remember.
Just recently I've discovered He's published a bunch of new books since about the year 2002. Yea!! So I purchased this one and also Speaks The Nightbird and am happily reading Robert McCammon books again!
This book
Tuckers
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good read!!

This is a fast and entertaining read by Mr. Mccammon. Love the main character and the other characters he creates. They are very fascinating in many ways. His approach on vampires is creative and new. I love how he places his characters in an early time period. Mccammon does his research very well and gives you a dynamic world. I hope he keeps writing this story on a consistent basis as they are very enjoyable.
Paul Hasbrouck
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
McCammon hits a bullseye, with part 2 0f this Weird western series. He gives monsterous vampires, but a host of classic old western basics, outlaws, a soiled dove, a preacher with a past all mixed on a train facing a dark fate. Then there a great final twist!
Ellen Reese
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED THIS!

I’m a huge fan of Robert McCammon and have been for years. This series about vampire Trevor Lawson is outstanding. My only complaint is we have to wait too long between books. I will be anxiously awaiting the next episode in the “ Travel by Night” series.
Karen
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: c-okay
I got this book for free, so I read it. The writing is fine, but it could't keep my attention (literally, my thoughts would wander mid-paragraph). The plot is unsurprising. If this genre is your jam, or you're just getting into it, it's probably fine, but I can't recommend it.
Brian
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Excellent Weird Western. Vampire hunting vampire and former Confederate soldier hunting his maker with the assistance of a female companion searching for her missing sister on the train ride from Hell. Sequel to I Travel By Night.
TJ
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love anything that Robert McCammon writes and this novella is no exception. It kept me guessing on how they were going to get out of the mess they were in. Here's to hoping he continues with this series.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Out Behind the Barn
  • Dexter Is Delicious (Dexter, #5)
  • Mongrels
  • The Hollow Ones
  • A Boy and His Dog & "Repent, Harlequin!" said the Ticktockman
  • A Boy and His Dog
  • Snowman: The True Story of a Champion
  • Odd Thomas: You Are Destined To Be Together Forever (Odd Thomas, #0)
  • A Brave Day for Harold Brown
  • Tuf Voyaging
  • In the Valley of the Sun
  • If It Bleeds
  • A Little Night Murder (Mydworth Mysteries #2)
  • Broken
  • The Chill
  • McGrave
  • Video Night
  • The Walk
Robert Rick McCammon was a full-time horror writer for many years. Among his many popular novels were the classics Boy's Life and Swan Song. After taking a hiatus for his family, he returned to writing with an interest in historical fiction.

The sixth book in his Matthew Corbett historical fiction series, Freedom of the Mask, was published in May 2016.

His next novel, a standalone book called The Li

I Travel by Night (2 books)
  • I Travel by Night