Start by marking “Enchanted Vagabonds” as Want to Read:
Enchanted Vagabonds

Enchanted Vagabonds

Dana Lamb and his wife had a great idea: build a sailing canoe and voyage south along the Pacific Coast from Southern California to Panama. Warm water, gentle surf, benign beaches...a suitable way to spend the summer.

This was in the 1930s, and one pictures them pounding nails into plywood and 2x4s. At last they are off on a junket that almost ends in disaster. What saved them was thesummer.

This
Published October 1st 2001 by Long Riders' Guild Press (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Enchanted Vagabonds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enchanted Vagabonds

Start your review of Enchanted Vagabonds
Stephen
Apr 22, 2009 rated it liked it
“Enchanted Vagabonds” written by Dana Lamb is published by the Long Riders’ Guild Press, which has dedicated itself to reproducing books from something called the Equestrian Travel Classics. These are books that have fallen from mass distribution with the passing of time, but which the publishers feel “remain of global interest and importance."

“Enchanted Vagabonds,” a 414-page opus of dense reading and no plot to speak of, involves a journey made by Lamb and his wife Ginger in the th
Vance
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
An engaging read, but too many 'near escapes from certain death' and fantastical adventures for anything in here to warrant credibility. While the author may have stretched the truth, there is no denying this was an epic journey providing insight into Mexico cultures + wildlife along the Pacific coast not so long ago (1930's). If you are good at suspending disbelief this will be a fun read, if a bit tedious due to the length...
Byron
Jan 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Made me want to make my own boat and sail down the coast living off the ocean and getting in adventures :)

I was totally blown away by the story of the Lambs and their unquenchable thirst to explore further and further when any normal human being would have given up long ago. It seemed no obstacle could hold them back for very long.

Some of their thinking was way ahead of it's time considering that their journey took place in the mid 1930s. A lot could be learnt from their approach to
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite book. It is out of print, but well worth buying if you can find a copy. I first got a copy of this book from the library, 22 years ago, and a few years ago found a reasonably priced copy on the internet. I love this book because the protagonists set out on an amazing adventure, and just live truly in the "now" any place their trust in the universe to be guided. Also, they describe places in the early part of the 1900s that no longer exist in the same way.
Bruce
Nov 27, 2008 added it
Exciting with near death threats in nearly every chapter! Husband and wife built a canoe-kayak-sail boat and explored the coast from San Dieago, Ca to the Panama canal in 1932.. FUNNY, Exciting, and well wrote.
Melissa
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It has been a few years since I read this but I plan to visit it again soon. The sheer tenacity and resourcefulness of Ginger and Dana, two people capable of doing just about anything, is a compelling read.
P.J. Sullivan
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
True-life adventures of an American couple traveling in Mexico in the 1930s.
Lisa Hall
Mar 22, 2009 marked it as to-read
Couple travels down the pacific coast. Recommended by Mateo in Pisota.
Jesse Rose
Jul 17, 2011 is currently reading it
Starting this today. My parents read this to us as kids. I'm looking forward to revisiting the adventure.
Marie
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Marie by: A friend
Adventures of a married couple who took off in a small boat at the time of the Great Depression and sailed to the Panama and survived!
Jeff
Dec 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
a real life adventure story in the 1930s.
for anyone with a restless spirit, read this book, then leave everything behind and go for it.
Suzettecompagnon
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read this numerous times since I was young. We have an old copy that has been passed around the family. I love this book!
Victoria
Nancy
Jan 28, 2018
Jack Jacobson
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the best adventure stories ever!
Danny Jones