Start by marking “Murder in Mt Martha” as Want to Read:
Murder in Mt Martha

Murder in Mt Martha

In 1953, a small dog leads his owner to the mutilated, dead body of a young girl. The senseless and brutal homicide not only shakes up the small seaside town of Mt Martha, but also begins an Australia-wide manhunt for the callous murderer. However, the witness testimonies are strangely inconsistent, and without a prime suspect, the case goes cold.

That is until
Published April 2016 by Hybrid Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Mt Martha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Mt Martha

The Black Dahlia by James EllroyBurial Rites by Hannah KentSee What I Have Done by Sarah  SchmidtGirl Waits with Gun by Amy  StewartRoom by Emma Donoghue
True Crime Fiction
41 books — 3 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsShiver by Maggie StiefvaterHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickBlood Promise by Richelle Mead
To Read
761 books — 768 voters

More lists with this book...

Saturday's Child
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shifting between 1953 and current times this novel explores the events surrounding a real murder that has thus far remained unsolved. At times it felt like I was reading two separate stories, both of which I found entertaining. For me there seemed to be some conclusion for one story while the other felt like it came to an abrupt ending and left me wondering.
Karen
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
MURDER IN MT MARTHA is a fictional story, inspired by an unsolved 1953 real-life murder in the Mornington Peninsula suburb of Mt Martha. Author Janice Simpson combines the real facts with a range of unconnected contemporary elements to weave a potential solution and create her fictional version of "what if...".

Sixty years after the murder of 14 year old Beverly Middleton, Nick Szabo is working on his thesis about defectors from the Hungarian water polo team during the 1956 Melbourne
Sarah Jackson
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. The story opens in September 1953, when the body of 14-year-old Beverly Middleton is discovered in the driveway of a holiday home in Mr Martha. Without the benefits of modern day forensics, and confused by contradictory witness reports and mysterious phone calls – possibly from the murderer – police are unable to solve the case.

Sixty years after the murder, junior academic and PhD candidate, Nick Szabo is embarking on research into the Hungarian water polo team defectors d
Heather
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy this book and struggled to finish it - however, I did finish it. I can't say I enjoyed it because I found the plot difficult to follow. The book seemed to go back in time but there was no specific indicator as to what year/s the particular chapter was written. The characters I liked the best just finished - would like to know what they were doing. Perhaps it was an 'open ending' allowing another book to follow on at this stage.
Sorry, but for me this book was disappointing.
Des Boucher
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hold your horses when you read this fantastic new crime-noir. It grips right from page 1 when the 1953 murder of a 14 year-old girl is recounted in the prologue. It then moves swiftly to the present day where the reader meets Nick Szabo and the older Arthur Boyle. Szabo, a PhD research candidate, engages Boyle to talk to him about what life was like in Melbourne in the 1950s. Despite many of us sometimes wishing we could turn back the clock to a time when life was simpler and everyone had a job, ...more
Liz
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The descriptions of life in Melbourne in the 1950's make for a very interesting background to Murder in Mt Martha. The story weaves a realistic plot encompassing historic and modern events and everyday life in the city. Based on an actual murder, the novel is a tale which leads to a possible scenario of what might have been the events which lead to the murder of a young girl, and the deception which allowed her killer to "get away with murder". A well-crafted, easy to read thriller.
Kate Driscoll
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Murder in Mt. Martha is a riveting read. It is, to use that cliche, a real page turner. From start to finish Janice Simpson keeps you on the edge of your seat as you rip your way through this mystery. The book has all of the hallmarks of a good story: tight text, questions about the past, crafted characters and good and evil simmering on each page.
Tania Chandler
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A terrific read. Well-drawn characters — some to hate, and some to adore. Inspired by a real case, the story will lull you with its nostalgia and shock you with its violence. So much more than just a crime story.
Pat Annetts