Start by marking “Payable On Death” as Want to Read:
Payable On Death

Payable On Death

(Jax Rhodes #1)

A deal with the Devil. Demons haunting your every step. When an Angel offers you the chance to redeem yourself, you take it. Because eternal damnation isn't all it's cracked up to be.

But the Devil always gets his due.

On the streets of Baltimore redemption is..... Payable On Death.
Kindle Edition
Published April 5th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Payable On Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Payable On Death

Boundless Book Reviews
(3.5 stars)
Jax makes a decision, maybe a rather rash decision to save her mother. The devil now owns her soul and she wants to try to get it back. So she finds the time to help others but like everything it's not that simple.

She soon learns she's part of a bigger picture. One that she had no idea existed. She's given an opportunity to become something else. Someone who can fight the demons that are every where.

There's a lot of action in this story. The Angels and Demons storyline, which, I did e
Lissa Rice
**3 Stars** Full Review and Rating will be up on Boundless Book Reviews
Marianne
Hmmmm, I just feel like I've heard this story before. Let's play a game and see if you can guess where the author found her inspiration.

There's the the woman who is so troubled by visions of Hell, doom and destruction that she's institutionalised in a mental asylum but ends up committing suicide. Yup, she's hellbound:

There are, of course, also the half human offspring of demons or angels:

They all frequent a bar that's essentially neutral ground for both parties. Interfering would mean upsetting
Jeanie
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Payable on Death"
By: Rachel Rawlings

"I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review"

Jax makes a deal with the devil to save her mom from abuse at the hands of her stepfather. Mistake on a couple levels. First, make sure the person you're throwing your life (soul) away for actually wants or needs the sacrifice and second...READ the fine print! If you're not good at negotiations (especially with the ultimate manipulator)...HIRE someone!

Too late in realizing her mistake, Jax tries to red
Sapphyria
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

When Jax is 17 she does what she thinks it right in order to save her mother - and now the devil owns her soul. Jax spends the next 5 years trying to redeem the mistake she made by way of good deeds and volunteering until one day the world as she knows it crumbles down around her feet. Her friend Tommy, the appearance of Dane, and the mind-bending reality of Jax's new world are almost too much to bear. Especially when the Devil is breathing down her neck and beckoning her home.

Welcome t
Tammy "Z Girl"
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I really loved this story!! Demons, Angels and Jax, what a great combination. Looking forward to seeing where the story goes in Book 2.
Gladys Gonzales Atwell
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bravo!! Rachel Rawlings dazzles with creativity in this new series. Jax is a fighter. She fights for everything she has and leads a normal Baltimore life. Works out, works at a bar, volunteers at a homeless shelter and ummmm... hunts demons. Well not so normal but it's crazy cool.

She is only human but after making a deal with the devil one night to save a loved one, she has no other choice but to survive. She is accompanied through this tale by her longtime friend Thomas, who isn't all that he s
Alice Taylor
May 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Payable On Death: A Jax Rhodes Novel is book one of the Jax Rhodes series of books. This starts out with Jacqui making a deal with the devil in order to save her mother from her stepfather. Then the reader finds out that when Jacqui sold her sold to the devil she also condemned her mother to ten years in prison at the same time. While Jacqui visits every week, her mother doesn’t want her to. When Jacqui leaves the prison, a demon is talking to her, telling her to stop fighting the inevitable. An ...more
Christine Lee
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
***THIS BOOK WAS PROVIDED BY THE PUBLISHER/AUTHOR IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW**

Payable on Death by Rachel Rawlings is the first of her new Jax Rhodes Series and is a wonderful beginning.

Jax grew up with a mother in one destructive relationship after another until she thought the latest would kill her. In walks the Devil, with an out. But as they say, the Devil's in the details and Jax wasn't specific enough about what she expected. And didn't realize she'd be hounded to death in the meantim
InD'tale Magazine
A new addition to the angels and demons urban fantasy genre, Jax is a child of an angel and a human, and one of the last remaining humans able to fight demons.

Read full review in the 2016 June issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Patricia
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Extraordinary Read to a new series

I have to admit since I loved Ms. Railings Maurin series I wasn't sure how in would feel about her new series but as soon as I read the first page one as captured and enjoyed reading every word.. every page. Jax is a complicated character.. strong yet frail.. hopeful but resigned to her fate.. I couldn't put the book down.
Elizabeth Cash
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh my Jaxness!! Jax is a kickass independent girl who made a decision that changed her life for ever. She not only gets to fight denoms and avoid the Devil to the best of her ability, but she gets to have a super hot boyfriend who gets to help her! I loved reading this book and I can not wait for the next one! A+ Rachel! I’m impatiently waiting for the next one lol
Teya
teresa steele
Mar 22, 2017
Valerie Roberson
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I started this book, I knew I was going to love it, just for the style of writing that Rachel Rawlings has. But as I read the first few chapters, I felt like I had read this before. After some research, I found out that I did when it first came out. That was just about a year ago. I already read the first 14 chapters by now and I wasn't going to stop there. Yes, it's that good. To remember it after all this time and many, many books in between, it says something about the author. A good au ...more
Meredyth Winter
Jan 14, 2018
Kathy
Dec 12, 2016
Rachel Rawlings is an author of Urban Fantasy novels. Her first book, The Morrigna, was published in 2010. Witch Huntbook two, followed on 2012. She is currently working on a novella in The Maurin Kincaide Series, Wolfsbane. She currently lives in Maryland with her husband and three children.

I've always been one to pick action over chick flicks and I think I approach writing the same way. I've rea