Start by marking “Heinlein's Rules: Five Simple Business Rules for Writing (WMG Writer's Guides Book 12)” as Want to Read:

With more than a hundred published novels and more than seventeen million copies of his books in print, USA Today bestselling author Dean Wesley Smith follows five simple business rules for writing fiction. And now, he shares how those rules helped shape his successful career.

In this WMG Writer’s Guide, Dean takes you step-by-step through Heinlein’s Rules and shows how
Published March 6th 2016 by WMG Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Heinlein's Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heinlein's Rules

Start your review of Heinlein's Rules: Five Simple Business Rules for Writing (WMG Writer's Guides Book 12)
Nicholas Kotar
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another DWS gem. This guy pulls no punches (he's even better in person). If you need a kick in the pants and want to wash out all the nonsense you hear from the flavor-of-the-month gurus, read Dean Wesley Smith. This one is very useful if you're planning on being a professional writer for a long time.
Philip Athans
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, read that "book" in one sitting. I might put a more thoughtful deconstruction of it on my blog, but he's got some things to say that are of immense value to aspiring writers, and two huge misconceptions that might do them significant harm. Proceed with caution.

More detailed look here: https://fantasyhandbook.wordpress.com...
Robert
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book for any writer. I wish I had known of these rules years ago. I would have been in a much better place than I am today with my writing. This book helped me to realize where I was getting stuck and why. Before, I didn't even realize why I was having such a problem.
Nessa
Instead of the book, I just read the version of this available on Dean's blog for free. I dunno if it'll still be there next year/when he'll remove it, so get on it.
Only reason I'm giving 2 stars is cause I've actually read extensively Dean's blog about them before reading this, so I already knew everything he was talking about. For someone that has never heard about them, or how he uses them, this would be a 4 stars without issue tbh. It's really just that this is focusing on it and more
James Caldwell
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a pretty good book. Another one written by Dean Wesley Smith that does a good job for procrastinating writers, especially the ones who believe in what Smith calls the writing "myths." As I read Smith's blog and his books, I've becoming more an more disenchanted with the idea of "rewriting" which has prove to be a problem for me. Fortunately I've been rather lucky having bypassed many of the writing myths altogether.
Nathan Sinclair
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Once again, some great advice here, so long as you're prepared to hack through Smith's mountainous ego in order to find it. The way he talks, anyone would think Smith was the only person to ever publish a book, and that only his method could ever possibly work. Any common writing advice that doesn't fit into his personal narrative, he dismisses as 'a myth', despite there being plenty of other (better) writers who do write that way. It was infuriating.
Aaron Leyshon
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heinlein's rules have always struck me as so logical and coherent and precise that there must be some value in them. But as Wesley Smith and Heinlein point out, they're not easy to follow. For me it's time to sit down at the computer and stop bleeding.
Heather Pagano
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, public
Simple rules that go against pretty much everything I've ever been taught about writing. Smith is aware of this, and does a pretty good job talking his readers down and explaining how to look at writing as a long-term career, not a one-shot publication dream.
Omar Rodriguez-Rodriguez
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
Practical advice inspired by the great “one-draft” writers: Heinlein, Ellison, Bradbury,...
Leo Jr.
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you've read anything on his blog, you know that Dean Wesley Smith is not afraid to share his opinion. I've heard others say this book is a quick read. They're correct because the number of words used is small (it's really just a summation of blog posts). But these reviewers are also wrong. You should force yourself to read slowly and think about what the author's offering up to you.
Anyone who has fashioned a successful career over several decades, in any profession, deserves our attention.
Do
Douglas Cootey
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a quick read with a lot of good tips. I read this work originally when Smith posted it on his blog, chapter by chapter. I found it inspirational then because I had many of the fears he addressed. His viewpoint helped me rethink how I approached writing. In fact, I would say this blog series was partially responsible for my recent paradigm shift as a writer. I don't agree with everything he says, but usually only where he blurs the line between his observations and his opinions. ...more
Icy Sedgwick
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book flies in the face of almost all accepted writing advice. It will tell you to do things that other books do not - most notably, do not rewrite. I can't decide if I think Smith has just been lucky in his career, if he's just that good a writer he doesn't need to rewrite, or if we've been sold a duff line by the writing establishment for years. Maybe if we take the time to learn our craft and THEN write, we won't need to rewrite in order to be successful. I don't know, it's difficult to ...more
TM
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quick and to the point. Honestly, might have been able to be even shorter, but sometimes the author says things twice. Probably writers need to hear them more than twice, but two is enough in print. Encouraging in the simplistic and common sense approach, as well as in naming and facing the (mostly) fears that bog writers down.
Zit
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
If you read his other books (e.g. Writing Into The Dark or Stages Of A Fiction Writer), you won't need to read this. There's a lot of repetitive stuff in it and Heinlein's Rules can easily be found on the Internet. Still it was a quick and fun read.
R.M. Hamrick
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A no re-write business approach used by many prolific and successful authors
Ellen Bard
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short book outlining Heinlein's five rules, and what the consequences might be for writers. Motivating and easy to read.
Michael Cummings
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Straightforward expansion on the same text from his blog.
Jack Soren
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great little book. Dean knows his stuff.
Eric
Danie
Jun 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• How to Write Pulp Fiction
  • How to Write Fast: Better Words Faster (Stone Tablet Singles Book 1)
  • The 10X Author: Level Up or Be Left Behind (Stone Tablet Singles Book 2)
  • The Pursuit of Perfection: And How It Harms Writers
  • Space Battleship Scharnhorst and the Library of Doom (Cybertank Adventure, #2)
  • NeoLiberal Economists Must Die! (Cybertank Adventure, #3)
  • The Chronicles of Old Guy (Cybertank Adventure, #1)
  • Supers: Ex Heroes 1 (Supers: Ex Heroes #1)
  • Crazy Horse: A Life
  • Uncanny Valley
  • Deathbird Stories
  • Fire in the Blood
  • Zen in the Art of Writing
  • Planetes, Volume 2 (Planetes, #2)
  • Beard Necessities (Winston Brothers, #7)
  • Shifter Mate Magic (Ice Age Shifters, #1)
  • Zero Flux (Central Galactic Concordance, #2.5)
  • Craved by an Alien (Stolen by an Alien, #4)
Pen Names
Edward Taft
Dee W. Schofield
D.W. Smith
Sandy Schofield
Kathryn Wesley

Dean Wesley Smith is the bestselling author of over ninety novels under many names and well over 100 published short stories. He has over eight million copies of his books in print and has books published in nine different countries. He has written many original novels in science fiction, fantasy, mystery, thriller,