Start by marking “Antoinette” as Want to Read:
Antoinette

Antoinette

(Gaston and Friends)

Raised in a family of talented bulldogs, Antoinette the poodle wonders what makes her special. She gets the chance to prove herself and find what she's good at when puppy Ooh-la-la goes missing.
Published February 14th 2017 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Antoinette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antoinette

Idarah
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
 photo IMG_0048_zpshrt14auy.jpg

I adored Gaston, and now I'll need to add this companion book to my collection. Lovely illustrations and story about finding what you're good at and pursuing it.
Danielle
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
What a dynamite team!
Shelly
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a nice book, but not as special as Gaston. (My son agrees and requested multiple readings of Gaston, but was fine with just one of Antoinette.)
Laura Harrison
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and imaginative. Very child friendly and fun. DiPucchio is consistently humorous and whimsical. Christian Robinson is well on his way to becoming one of the finest children's book illustrator's of our time. Get their earlier book, Gaston as well. Just as terrific!
Sara Grochowski
Readers will adore Antoinette - and will love seeing Gaston within her story!
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
My View:
This is an adorable book that shouts “Read out loud.” “Read to a child.” “Enjoy.” There is such a beautiful sense of fun and innocence here, the illustrations and the words are fun, full of energy and cute.
There are many messages in the book that a child will absorb; about friendships, confidence…about individuals having different talents/abilities. All have merits. But I think you should just read this book for the simple pleasure and fun of reading a delightful, entertaining book (and
Jennifer B.
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved Antoinette!! I loved Gaston! I must find and read every book in the series!!
Nancy Kotkin
A companion book to Gaston, which unfortunately lacks the brilliance of the original story. The ending is sweet, especially if you've read both books (though that is not necessary to understand it).
Liz Todd
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
5 stars--that page with the replay...... amazing!!!
Kimberly
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adorable! I loved the pages with the slow-motion spread of Antoinette saving Ooh-La-La. That got a genuine laugh.
Holly Mueller
While Gaston is still my favorite, this is a cute follow up. Love the name "Ooh-La-La" for a poodle!
Maeghan Librarian
Very cute. I love the way in which the repetition is presented in both Antoinette and Gaston. Hooray for heroic pups! Now I just need to know when DiPucchio & Robinson are going to team up again to write a story about Antoinette and Gaston as grown dogs, instead of just alluding to their sweet little romance! Gimme more puppies!!
Ann
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adults, read-aloud
Love.
I loved Gaston and I love Antoinette.
Becky
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
First sentence: Mrs. Bulldog watched her puppies race through the yard. Rocky, Ricky, Bruno, and Antoinette. Here they come again! Rocky, Ricky, Bruno, and Antoinette. Busy, aren't they? And ridiculously cute, but please don't tell them that.

Premise/plot: Antoinette, the poodle puppy being raised in a family of bull-dogs, doesn't know what makes her special, what makes her unique. Mrs. Bulldog keeps assuring her that she is, but gives no specifics as to how or why. But when Antoinette's friend O
Holly Letson
Family is not only those that you are related to by blood.
Library_geek
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Busy, aren't they? And ridiculously cute, but please don't tell them that.

This line has got to be my favourite in the book and I can hear many mammas and dads saying this about their own children just like Antoinette’s mum, Mrs Bulldog. I was delightfully surprised at how lovely this book is and want everyone to have the opportunity to know about it too.

I first must mention that this book has introduced me to the artist Christian Robinson, and I love the illustrations he creates. There is someth
Lara
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Still adorable illustrations, just like in Gaston, but I actually like the story a little better. Still a message about being oneself. This time it's as Antoinette finds her special talent, something her brothers have already discovered about themselves. I really liked Antoinette's talent was put to use - "one of the most famous police dogs ever to patrol the streets of Paris"! After the rather stereotyped puppy families in the first book, I liked seeing female achievement here, especially in a ...more
Amy
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All of Antoinette’s brothers are bulldogs, very talented bulldogs. Rocky is smart, Ricky is very fast and Bruno is super strong, and Antoinette isn’t quite sure what makes her special. One day she meets her friend’s, Fi-Fi, Foo-Foo, Ooh-La-La and Gaston, at the park. When Ooh-La-La goes missing, all the puppies spring into action to find her. Even with each of the brothers’ using their special skills, no one can find her, until Antoinette feels a tug in her heart. Antoinette knows she has to fin ...more
Martha
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The puppies from Gaston are back in another gorgeous book, with simple yet bold acrylic illustrations depicting two best friend dog families of bulldogs and poodles. When Mrs. Bulldog praises the gifts of her talented puppies, she refers to her only poodle type-puppy as so special, telling her that she will find her gift. That's just what happens when brave empathetic Antoinette leaves the happy park in search of the missing puppy, Ooh-La-La. Told with deceptive simplicity, this subtle yet stron ...more
Emma (Miss Print)
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved Gaston and am happy to see more about these plucky pups. The way this books relates to Gaston is a little confusing (after they all meet but before the puppies grow up). Unlike her brothers, Antoinette is still figuring out what she's good at. When family friend Ooh-la-la goes missing Antoinette leaves no stone unturned as she races to the museum and saves the pup from a dangerous fall (complete with a very clever instant replay). These books are Robinson's artwork at its best. A cheerfu ...more
Kamalani Kaku
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
Antoinette, the poodle puppy being raised in a family of bull-dogs, doesn't know what makes her special, what makes her unique. Mrs. Bulldog keeps assuring her that she is, but gives no specifics as to how or why. But when Antoinette's friend Ooh-La-La (Gaston's sister) goes missing, it is her turn to shine. This determined pup will find her friend no matter what...proving that she is brave, resourceful, persistent.

I love dogs, so I love reading books about dogs.

I would use this in a classroom
Alea
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Melanie
Antoinette is not like her brothers; her brothers are rough and tumble. Antoinette is more gentle. Her mother assures her that she will find her talent someday. One day while at the park one of Mrs. Poodles pups, Ooh-La-La goes missing. Antoinette will not give up until the missing puppy is found. And she saves the day when she discovers that Ooh-La-La is about to fall off of a museum gargoyle.

Many years later when Gaston and Antoinette have their own family, they visit a statue of Antoinette, c
Becky B
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
All of Antoinette's brothers know what they are good at, but Antoinette still hasn't figured out her special skill. When Ooh-La-La goes missing, Antoinette feels something new, discovers her special skill, and saves the day.

It's not often that a book features a double take slow-mo flashback, but this one does. It's also unusual for picture books to skip far ahead to the future, show romantic endings, and how the special skill works out as a career. A great sequel to Gaston that might be a good r
Sarah Vester
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Diane
Antoinette's bulldog brothers all have special talents: Rocky is very clever; Ricky has great speed and Bruno has great strength. Antoinette doesn't know what her talent is, but her mother assures her that she has one. But Antoinette is skeptical. Until her friend, Ooh-La-La gets lost during an outing in the park. Suddenly, her tracking skills and persistence come alive with a purpose.

Sweet story with adorable illustrations.
Peacegal
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars -- Oh my, how very cute. If it weren't for the cellphones the crowd of people are holding in one scene, I could have easily imagined this classic-looking book being set in turn-of-the-century Paris. The story of the one little poodle in a family of bulldogs also brings to mind an interesting fact of dogdom--one litter can have multiple daddies!
Ashley Adkins
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this follow up story from Gaston. Antoinette is like most of us and is searching for her special self. We are all unique and have unique traits to share with this world and through this simple story children will learn this too. Again, the art is playful and is as enjoyable as the story. Another great one from Kelly!
Erin Buhr
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this new book from the creators of Gaston. It carries the same style and flair, but focuses on Antoinette who is trying to figure out what makes her unique and wonderful. These characters are just as irresistible and the plot is well paced and exciting. I recommend reading Gaston first, but found this thoroughly enjoyable.
Lynn
Never give up when you have a chance to prove yourself - follow your instincts, err, nose, as Antoinette does!
Fans of "Gaston" will like to see him in action again.
The last page is puzzling to me. I understand the implication, but I think it's an awkward wording. I would not say "...while Antoinette..." is doing such and such, "...Antoinette..." is doing something else.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Puddle Pug
  • Excellent Ed
  • I'm My Own Dog
  • Lucy
Kelly is the award-winning author of several children’s books, thousands of To-Do lists, and a few recipe cards. Two of her books, Grace For President and The Sandwich Swap, were New York Times bestsellers.

Like most kids who grew up in the 1970’s, Kelly had a pet goat and bought all her clothes from the Sears catalog. Like most teenagers who grew up in the 1980’s, Kelly had really big glasses and

Gaston and Friends (3 books)
  • Gaston