Start by marking “Indigo Storm” as Want to Read:
Indigo Storm

Indigo Storm

When Ashleigh decides to flee her difficult husband, Dominic, she's all too aware he'll come looking for her. The only way to escape, she realises, will be to move as far away as possible and reinvent herself.

Changing her name to Eliza, she drives for days until she comes across a tiny rural town with friendly locals and a nice vibe about it. There, she rents a room, gets
Published March 23rd 2016 by Allen & Unwin AU

To ask other readers questions about Indigo Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indigo Storm

Veronica ⭐️
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Indigo Storm is a breath-holding romantic suspense. The reader is immediately thrown into Ashleigh’s traumatic life. He husband Dominic has become abusive and as his abuse escalates she feels she must get away from him but with no family or friends to turn to she must carefully plot and plan to one day start a new life.

Ashleigh changes her name to Eliza and flees to Blinman, a tiny rural town, and soon finds that family isn’t only the people related by blood. The residents of Blinman a
Brenda
When Ashleigh finally decided she would leave her dominating and cruel husband Dominic, she set a plan in motion. He was sly and sneaky; she had to do it right as she figured she’d only have one chance. Twelve months later she was close, but then the decision was made for her. When he stormed off to the pub after the vicious beating, she gathered her few possessions and fled her old life and her home in Jindabyne for good – Ashleigh had no idea where she would go, but she knew the further the be ...more
Jenni Boyd
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story begins with a tense scene of Ashleigh having a meal with her husband Dominic, giving you an insight of what her life is like living with an abusive husband.

After seeing an article in a magazine Ashleigh begins to plan her escape, meticulously covering every aspect before taking the brave step to flee.

Having changed her appearance, and with a new identity she finds herself in a tiny rural town called Blinman, a place she feels drawn to but doesn't know why, as she has no idea who she is
Fiona
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this down. I bought it yesterday (24/3/16) and planned to read a bit before I went to sleep. Well, that plan failed.

I got so engrossed I just had to finish it! 3 hours later... *yawn*

Anyway, I won't spoil for anyone, but, I did thoroughly enjoy this, and would recommend it highly.

I liked the characters, and perhaps in the future, we might revisit Blinman and the characters within, to see how their stories develop. *hint*

Also, I may be a little bit in love with Dave Burrows...
Deborah
Sapphire Falls was the first book I'd read in Fleur McDonald's popular rural fiction series and I was surprised at how much I loved it. I probably didn't enjoy Indigo Storm quite as much although McDonald definitely offered up some great characters.

Ashleigh / Eliza is a very likeable lead. I suspect McDonald was playing her cards close to her chest in terms of Eliza's affection and we weren't sure exactly who would win her heart (the old Chris vs Jacob conundrum). And of course, then there was
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Not long into reading the latest and seventh book from Australian author Fleur McDonald, it became apparent to me that this is an author that just keeps getting better with every new book she releases. Reviewing McDonald’s previous book Emerald Springs last year, I’m sure I stated it was her best yet, well again McDonald has served up an outback treat for her readers.
In Indigo Storm, drama is definitely the order of the day, from the opening page. McDonald’s protagonist is Ashleigh Alberto, a yo
Dianne Sidebottom
I like getting books from the local library and then to see Fleur had signed the book made it extra special. Dave the detective is married to Kim in this story. While reading the story I have postcard pictures of Blinman on my wall which I got over 30 years ago on my visit to the rangers. I also got myself a jumper that had Blinman stamped on it. I was a little apprehensive in reading this story as some parts are my story n I didn't really need the reminder. Just berate myself for choosing this ...more
Athene Alleck
So ... apparently 'rural romance' is a genre and a popular one no less! Who knew?
This is my first FM book. The story was gentle, the scenery pretty ... easy to read and engaging enough that I wanted to see what happened to our heroine in the end.
But for me, the writing is not strong enough. Too many adjectives and adverbs, repetition and cliched phrasing.
Sweet like a lamington and a mug of sugared tea ... one is enough for me!
Ruth Bonetti
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My foray into rural romance began well with an engrossing, page-turning story that captured the outback landscapes and the turmoil of central character Eliza/Ashleigh in her escape from brutal husband Dominic. Fast paced, with realistic characters and sympathetic understanding of issues. One point: a generous dollop of coincidence can be allowed in the service of plotting.
Emma Bond
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, thoroughly recommend reading it. I was almost put off at the beginning as I thought the heroine was weak and insipid. However as I kept reading the character developed into a strong and resourceful young woman. The storyline is great and I was kept guessing about which suitor she would choose. This is only the second book I have read by Fleur McDonald and I will be reading more!
T.K H
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness! What an exciting book. So many twists and turns, sadness, love, shock and of course the mention of some beautiful scenery. Small town communities are great places to set books! 5 well earned stars.
Claire
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this story, it tells the story of someone who is brave enough whilst at the same time terrified to leave an abusive relationship. It had suspense, romance and real everyday people.
Monica Thomas
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found a new favourite author. First Fleur McDonald book I've read and couldn't put it down.
Susan Dawson
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of twists and turns. Great read!! Really enjoyed it 👍🏼
Lynette Messina
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story

I really enjoyed this book the Australian setting is something that I am very interested in as an immigrant. More than just a love story.
Olivier Den Hartigh
Badly written, no character development, full of clichés. Can't believe this book has so many five stars.
Susan Hoddy
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good storyline. Would have like to see a bit more drama about her husband coming to find her though. But overall enjoyed the book.
Josephine
Apr 16, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf
The plot sounded interesting yet the pacing was way too slow and it was a bit heavy on telling rather than showing at times. This was a DNF for me.
Sue
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I’ve read by Fleur McDonald and I absolutely loved it!

The beginning of the story quickly sets the scene about Ashleigh’s relationship with her husband and how fearful she is of him. I sympathised with Ashleigh and hoped she could successfully escape him when she decides to run away and start a new life with a new identity.

I loved the vivid descriptions of the Outback surrounding the tiny country town of Blinman where Ashleigh – now known as Eliza – ends up. And I loved th
Deb Bodinnar
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guess where I want to go on holiday too??? Yes Blinman and the surrounding Flinders Ranges in beautiful South Australia. I was so excited when I also found out that the Cook Out is real!! I would not be surprised if this little town gets extra tourist because they have read this book. From one beautiful spot (Jindabyne) to another, Ashleigh (Eliza), finds herself looking over her shoulder every day looking out for her violent husband. Very topical these days, domestic violence is NOT something t ...more
Suzanne
Suspense and drama as one takes the name of another in order to escape a past life that is fraught with abuse. Watching the characters unfold and the secrets unravel just as the bad guys cruise into town, crawling with dirty cops, reminded me a little of the series on television recently starring Rebecca Gibney 'Wanted'. The historical background to the text was sound and inviting. Which colour will Fleur McDonald choose to complement her next novel, Gold Horizons, Amber Twilight?
Mary Monks
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was quite an easy read but it held together well. I was drawn into Ashleigh's life right at the beginning. The suspense was kept at a high level throughout. The story was set in South Australia and I could easily imagine the ruggedness of the setting. The generosity of rural people was highlighted and I warmed to the characters Ashleigh met. The end had a couple of twists in it which added to my enjoyment of the book!
Trish
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting enough read.
I'm not a huge fan of Outback based stories and this book has so much description of nature that I wasn't interested in. However, I do appreciate that the author clearly loves the beauty of the Australian Outback and that came across well.
The story line was predictable and the characters were likeable enough.
An easy read, if you don't want too much of a challenge.
Christine Harvey
An easy reading novel, my first, but not last, Fleur McDonald. Loved the vivid Flinders Ranges descriptions. The Flinders is a favourite destination of ours. The young girls even had raspberry and lemonade at the pub - many memories of my Dad buying me one at a pub along our travels xx
Gillian Milne
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another thoroughly enjoyable suspenseful novel by one of my favourite authors! Would definitely recommend Fleur McDonald novels to everyone!!!
Kay Graves
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i couldn't put this book down. It had suspense and romance and an intetesting twist
Jenny Wise
Feb 13, 2018
Stephanie Louise
rated it it was ok
Apr 13, 2016
After growing up on a farm near Orroroo in South Australia, Fleur McDonald’s first job was jillarooing in the outback. She’s now closely involved in the daily management of the 8000-acre station she and her family live on near Esperance in Western Australia.

Fleur is the author of the bestselling novels Red Dust, Blue Skies, Purple Roads and Silver Clouds.

Fleur chats about her daily farming life