Start by marking “The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery, #6)

The Chocolate Bridal Bash (A Chocoholic Mystery #6)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  1,199 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Caught up in a whirl of champagne and china patterns, bride-to-be Lee McKinney has butted heads with her future mother-in-law over every detail of the wedding bash. The last thing she needs is trouble with her own mother. But this is bigger than the hot versus cold hors d’oeuvres debate: Sally McKinney doesn’t even want to be at the wedding if it takes place in Warner Pier ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Signet (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Chocolate Bridal Bash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chocolate Bridal Bash

melissa
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
The chocolate mysteries are always a fun, light, quick read (this one was just over 200 pages). I like that Lee is generally a smart, independent, heroine. Of course there have been times I shake my head at some of the decisions she makes, but in this one I understood her motivation. I like that we got to know her family a bit better in this one (in the form of her mother). And I like that the story progresses. They don’t necessarily pick up right when the last ends, but there is definitely cont ...more
Luffy
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
Like the earlier books, this one is markedly different from its siblings. It boasts the strongest start in the writing. Sadly the motives of the villains in the end were not logical. It wasn't possible that the intrigue would play out like it did. Stranger things have happened in real life. But here I believe what Joanna Carl (only now have I realized it's a pseudonym) has concocted is stranger than truth. The murders in this book had weird and nonsensical motives. I simply cannot wrap my head ...more
Chris Curtis
Jun 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cozy mystery fans
Shelves: joanna-carl, mystery
This was a quick fun read. I originally started reading this series with a book group and had decided to give up on it. When I found this one in my shelves I decided to go ahead and read it before donating it to Goodwill. I was pleasantly surprised that the author had left out a lot of the descriptions of how chocolates are made and there was more to the story. I like the additional chocolate sections in the book though. They are interesting and you can skip over them and come back later. I stil ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2006, mystery
Lee and Joe are getting married, but getting Lee's mother to come to town is proving to be a challenge. It might have to do with a huge family secret. What does the past mean for the present? This was a fast moving book with plenty of twists and the usual great characters.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Kathy
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I have read books from this series before, but never in order. I read this book, #6, because it is set in Michigan and it works for NancyNova's state challenge I am working on. I also have #7 somehow, so I will read that soon.
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
My favorite in the series so far.
Cathy
A friend gave me this book, knowing that I'd read a couple of others in the series. I was a little afraid to read it, though, because it was so much further down the series than I'd read, that I was afraid I'd be missing a few things.

But Joanna Carl did a good job of making this a stand-alone book, despite its place in the series.

The wedding interested me as well as the mystery of what had happened to Lee's mom all those years before. That's probably what drew me into the book the most.

I had a d
Melissa Levine
Jul 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
This story took me so long to get through. Yes, I started this in the middle/end of the series which I didn't realize until I was finished. Either way I just didn't care about it. I originally grabbed it off my shelf (bought at the store because it sounded interesting and was cheap, my fault!) because it was only like 200 pages, so it would have been a fast read. I was wrong. It's taken me like close to a month to finish it. That's really bad for me too.

To be honest, this story was a piece of c
Jenny G
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I actually really enjoyed this book. There were a few things I would have changed (description of chocolates, the heroine's difficulty with speaking), but overall not enough to stop the enjoyment of the story. The plot kept me enthralled and I didn't feel lost coming in mid-series as it works as a stand alone story. As the plot came to an end I had to take breaks between chapera and felt my pulse quickening. It was just enough for a good cozy mystery. I will be looking at more of the books in th ...more
Andi
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love these books!
Tabby Kat
Lee and Joe set a wedding date at the end of the last book (The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle) so it is no surprise that this book focuses on the preparations for the wedding. Lee gets to deal with her future mother in law, her aunt, and the other characters in Warner Pier who are all trying to be helpful but cause Lee lots of grief. one thing that is odder than most is that many of the locals want to know if Lee's mother - Sally - is coming to the wedding.

You see, Sally left Warner Pier under somewha
Syrdarya
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, michigan
Lee McKinney is in the midst of wedding preparations, but when she finds out that her mother left Warner Pier, MI, decades before as a runaway bride, she can't resist investigating. The past clashes with the present as Lee digs up old scandals, and someone is desperate to keep her from unearthing the truth about what happened the night Lee's mother fled the town.

This book was a re-read for me, and it was the last book I read in the series before I fell behind on it, but I enjoyed it as much the
Chazzi
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Lee McKinney isn't only up to her eyebrows with the details of her upcoming wedding, she is also having to deal with keeping the reins in on her mother-in-law to be who wants to run the show and whether her own mom will even show up!

Add to that the mystery of why her mother suddenly left her hometown on what was to be her wedding day and has never come back. And add to that the fact that the groom was found dead a few hours before the vows were to be said. It was decided to be a suicide but many
Connie
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am hooked on this series, the author has a way of grabbing your interest with just the first page! Plus the way the chocolates are described, makes you want to make sure you have some with you while you are reading. I really enjoyed this book about Lee McKinney, trying to get ready for her wedding, but at the same time discovering some hidden secrets about her own mother and her wonderful small town of Warnier Pier Michigan. It was great to see how Lee handles everyone's input on her wedding a ...more
Natalie
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
The murder took place 30 years ago and involved her mother. The unraveling of the mystery as well as the logical development of the mother/daughter relationship made this one particularly intersting. (Still an easy read, but there is a little meat in there!)
Like the others in the series I like the main character - single at 30 but tentativley dating. I love the setting - she works in a chocolate shop and they make primarily truffles and molded chocolates full of wonderful things! The descriptio
Dharia Scarab
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it

4 sta
Katarina
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was an interesting installment in the series-- Lee's investigations don't begin with crime, but with the history of her mother. This turns into a question of what happened, who was involved, and why. Perhaps because it was a mystery, I knew that some sort of murder must have occured, although I was halfway through the book before it was suggested. I also picked the villian early on in story, so I wasn't blind-sided like Lee was when it all became clear. However, the mystery was still intere ...more
Meg Mims
Feb 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I thought this was just TOO easy to guess both murderer and motive. Plus the "malapropisms" the heroine accidentally spins out in dialogue are just plain BAD. Badly written, unbelievable as real speech and the other characters give no reaction to her little cutesy phrases, which are not cute or little. I've done this myself, and it's usually ONE word you get out of whack, or a reversal. Not a whole phrase -- they seem more forced by the author trying to be clever.

I also hoped for more setting de
Karen
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This series is so fun! I live along the lakeshore of Lake Michigan, so the fictional town in this story-- nestled in between Holland and Saugatuck feels like home to me! This book also referenced Grand Rapids-- the airport and White Caps baseball team-- both places I've spent time at, so fun to read about places I know. Fun characters and story line-- perfect for a light-hearted mystery! This is the 6th book in the series and I feel as if I know the characters much better-- I'm happy Joe & L ...more
Rebecca Grauman
Apr 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Sadly this one was not the best in this series. I was really looking forward to this one because of the must anticipated wedding, but to be honest the mystery was not that great. I found myself skimming the pages more then reading them. That said, I did enjoy the interaction between Lee and her mother. The mystery might have been a bit rushed but it did clear up some of the backstory that the author had been hinting at throughout the first 5 books.
Jennifer Robb
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I've read one other book from this series. I didn't find the chocolate facts/trivia in this one as interesting as the ones in the other book that I read.

I wondered long before anyone in the book brought it up why Lee didn't just ask her mother what happened rather than going about it so covertly (a big plot hole for me), but otherwise, I thought the plot was well done.

I am going to give this copy to the friend who loaned me the other book from the series that I read.
Linda
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bingo
I really enjoyed this trip to Warner Pier. This involved Lee digging around in her mother's past and connecting to events that happened 30 years ago. I will say I'm a sucker for books that combine events with long ago and events of today. Also while I didn't know the why I was right in my suspicions of who (always a bonus for me since that never happens). Looking forward to what's in store next for Lee and Joe and as always more mouthwatering chocolates!
Theresa Malloy
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: about-food
This is a chocoholic mystery, and it was a little different from the other ones I read, so I liked it better. Lee McKinney is getting ready for her wedding, and she finds out her mom fled the little Michigan town on her wedding day 33 years ago. Lee finds out that the jilted fiancee committed suicide, but more investigation shows it could have been murder. Quick read.
Alaine
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this quick mystery. They are usually pretty easily solved, but entertaining none the less. I do however have one bone to pick. The few scant sentences about Lee and Joe's actual wedding left a lot to be desired. I understand that the mystery is the story, but when writing a series, people become attached to the cast of characters.
Andrea Kelly
This was one of my favorite books in the chocoholic mystery series!

When the town of Warner Pier finds out that Lee's mom will be returning after a 30 year absence to attend her daughter's wedding, gossip starts flowing, and Lee uncovers long buried secrets from the past.

Although they're not the most well-written books ever, they are always a fast and fun read. The perfect light mystery!
Mrsdana
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Everyone is driving Joe and Lee crazy about input on their wedding but Lee finds out a secret. Her mother ran away on her very own wedding day. Everyone in town knows it but Lee and Sally is afraid to come back....why? With Joe's help...Lee finds out.
I really liked this novel and I love the chocolate chat. I found out there is a "chocolate lounge" where I live....might have to visit!!!
Shannon
May 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
I think that there's some stretching to find some stories for this series. While the set-up of her mother's mysterious disappearance on her wedding day sounds good, it just left me feeling flat. I realize that you have to suspend belief to have one person involved in so many murder investigations, but I just didn't think this one worked.
Jenn
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Eh. This was okay. It was fairly painfully obvious pretty early on what happened and who was the main culprit behind it. Lee's tongue-tied thing is still super annoying, especially here since she does it a LOT. Is that a real thing? I mean, I know it happens to everyone from time to time, but is it really a condition?

Eh. I've definitely read better.
Margaret
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
For the entire book I kept wondering whether I had read this book before, or whether it was just the same set of characters and similar situations as in others of this series. I rather think I had, but it was delightful enough that I didn't mind possibly reading it a second time. And now of course having read about all those luscious chocolates, I want some myself.
Mary Ann
Feb 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Lee's wedding is getting closer and she wants her mom and her dad to come to the wedding. When she calls to talk to her mom, she starts to learn some things about what happened when her mom was still in Warner Pier, causing her mom to run away from the town the day before her wedding.
  • Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Sucker Punch (A Candy Shop Mystery, #5)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • A Rose from the Dead (A Flower Shop Mysteries, #6)
  • Dim Sum Dead (Madeline Bean, #4)
  • The Pumpkin Muffin Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #5)
  • Chocolate Quake (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #4)
  • Silenced By Syrah (A Wine Lover's Mystery #3)
  • Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3)
  • Cereal Killer (Savannah Reid, #9)
JOANNA CARL is the pseudonym for the multi-published mystery writer Eve K. Sandstrom. The author writes about the shores of Lake Michigan and has been reviewed in Michigan newspapers as a “regional writer.” She has also written about Southwest Oklahoma and once won an award for the best book of the year with an Oklahoma setting.

Eve K. Sandstrom is an Oklahoman to the teeth: she was born there, as
More about JoAnna Carl

A Chocoholic Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
  • The Chocolate Bear Burglary (A Chocoholic Mystery, #2)
  • The Chocolate Frog Frame-Up (A Chocoholic Mystery, #3)
  • The Chocolate Puppy Puzzle (A Chocoholic Mystery, #4)
  • The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery, #5)
  • The Chocolate Jewel Case (A Chocoholic Mystery, #7)
  • The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery, #8)
  • The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)
  • The Chocolate Pirate Plot (A Chocoholic Mystery, #10)
  • The Chocolate Castle Clue (A Chocoholic Mystery, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother