Start by marking “Tennyson's Poetry” as Want to Read:
Tennyson's Poetry

Tennyson's Poetry

This volume offers one of the most comprehensive surveys of Tennyson's poetry available for the serious student.

It includes selections from the 1830, 1832, and 1842 volumes, together with songs from The Princess and In Memoriam; complete poems from the middle period, including Maud, Enoch Arden, and nine Idylls of the King, including the Dedication; and a generous offeri
Paperback, Norton Critical Editions, 681 pages
Published January 17th 1999 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1833)

The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson by Emily DickinsonLeaves of Grass by Walt WhitmanAriel by Sylvia PlathThe Waste Land and Other Poems by T.S. EliotSonnets by William Shakespeare
Best Poetry Books
2,225 books — 2,289 voters
The Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Selected Poetry of Rainer Maria Rilke by Rainer Maria RilkeThe Poetry of Robert Frost by Robert FrostThe Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson by Emily DickinsonThe Complete Poems by John Keats
Best Poets
317 books — 441 voters

More lists with this book...

Divya
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Tennyson,most representative poet of victorian age expresses the middle class through his poetry. Along with discipline & form, a sense of romantic values & lyricism are the special features of tennyson's poetry. Its beautiful!!!!
Cassandra Kay Silva
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
What Tennyson lacks in concise language he makes up for in the beauty of these lyrical verses. The subject matters that this author chooses are all things that if I were to write poetry I would also choose. Gallantry and Chivarly of Knights and Princesses. King Arthur and his court. References to Greek Mythology and a constant fascination with death.
Dreamer
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, 5-star
School text that I rather enjoyed..
We cannot be kind to each other here for even an hour. We whisper, and hint, and chuckle and grin at our brother's shame; however you take it we men are a little breed.
- Alfred Lord Tennyson
Padya
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Despite all his sentiments & psychotic ideals, Tennyson is amazing. He inspires me to the deepest, and I think I'll go on to love him forever
P.S. Winn
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
poems, songs and great writing.Alfred Tennyson is a classic writer I think all should read.
Keith
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Alfred Tennyson is, after Shakespeare and Chaucer, one of the most skilled craftsmen in the English language. He has a way of spinning beautifully memorable lines, such as these from Tithonus:

“Far-folded mists, and gleaming halls of morn.”

And …

“.... Arise
And shake the darkness from their loosened manes,
And beat the twilight into flakes of fire.”

As an avid reader of narrative and dramatic poetry, it’s no surprise that Tennyson is one of my favorite authors. He’s written many memorable poems suc
Everyone Poops
May 31, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: poetry
I know people might want to throw rocks at me for asking, but am I alone in thinking Tennyson's poetry is mostly just an exercise in belletrism with little else to offer?

I'm fond of most other major Victorian poets (especially Browning and Rosetti), but Tennyson's work is a real thorn in my side. It's kind of like when I wash my white laundry. All the bright shiny stuff is made of up other Victorian poets. But Tennyson is the gross, almost-brown towel that I cleaned up puke and cat pee with.
Steve
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pleasure
It is hard for a soldier to not love The Charge of the Light Brigade. I love The Eagle, simple and elegant. The Kracken is great as well. I tend to fall with the critics who aren't fans of the Idylls of the King, but some portions are compelling.
Ed
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Currently working through "In Memoriam A.H.H." which is as great a poem as everyone in the world, from T.S. Eliot onwards, thinks.
Sissi
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
a classic and an impressing statue in Lincoln, UK.
Maureen
Sep 20, 2011 rated it liked it
I like Tennyson, but probably because I really like the Victorian period, and the old British traditions it embodies. Still, poems like Crossing the Bar are memorable and worth reading.
Mii
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read!
Grant
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"She took the dappled partridge flecked with blood,"
Natalie
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend Odysseus, The Lady of Shalott, and Crossing the Bar.
Fred Dameron
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
What can one say, It's Tennyson.
Alexis Hall
Tennyson, like his poetry, went on forever.

I am pretty fond of Tithonus though.
Irene
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have only read some of his poems but they are fantastic beyond all expectations
Joel
Apr 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Easily my favorite Victorian poet. Christina Rossetti follows somewhere behind. This volume includes "Idylls of the King," "In Memoriam," "The Lady of Shallot," most others.
Albie
Sep 14, 2009 added it
Tennyson's Poetry: Authoritative Texts, Contexts, Criticism (Norton Critical Editions) by Alfred Tennyson Tennyson, Baron (1999)
Clara
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
a bit hard to understand at times
Sammy
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
One of my top dozen pre-WWII poets in the English language, alongside Shakespeare, Dryden, Wordsworth, Keats, Emerson, Wadsworth Longfellow, Whitman, Dickinson, Christina Rossetti, Yeats, and Wallace Stevens.
Patrick Omigie
He is a great poet.
Mickey
Aug 06, 2007 rated it liked it
For my Victorian lit grad seminar. Liked it better than Robert Browning's The Ring and the Book. (Classic lit)
Mille
Dec 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
I always find the classics irritating they remind me of high school.
Miles Dracula
May 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
one of my favorite poets
Denyse
Apr 06, 2009 rated it did not like it
Because I was FORCED to inc school.........
Vittoria Årud
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tennyson poems are great for poetry lovers and poets alike.
Rob
Feb 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wrote "Mariana" at 20. Wrote "Rizpah" at 70. Stayed sick.
Laure
  • Shelley's Poetry and Prose
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Major Works
  • The Complete Poetry
  • Poetry and Designs: Authoritative Texts, Illuminations in Color and Monochrome, Related Prose, Criticism
  • Complete Poems
  • Edmund Spenser's Poetry
  • Poetry and Prose
  • A Shropshire Lad
  • Selected Poems
  • The Complete Poems (Poetry Library)
  • Dover Beach and Other Poems
Alfred Tennyson, invariably known as Alfred Lord Tennyson on all his books, was born in Somersby, Lincolnshire, the fourth of the twelve children of George Tennyson, clergyman, and his wife, Elizabeth. In 1816 Tennyson was sent to Louth Grammar School, which he disliked so intensely that from 1820 he was educated at home until at the age of 18 he joined his two brothers at Trinity College, Cambrid ...more
“She saw the snowy poles of moonless Mars, That marvellous round of milky light Below Orion, and those double stars Whereof the one more bright

Is circled by the other”
9 likes