Start by marking “Miss Frost Solves a Cold Case (Jayne Frost, #1)” as Want to Read:
Miss Frost Solves a Cold Case (Jayne Frost, #1)

Miss Frost Solves a Cold Case

(Jayne Frost #1)

Welcome to Nocturne Falls, the town that celebrates Halloween 365 days a year.

Jayne Frost is a lot of things. Winter elf, Jack Frost’s daughter, Santa Claus’s niece, heir to the Winter Throne and now…private investigator. Sort of.

Needing someone he can trust, her father sends her undercover to Nocturne Falls to find out why employees at the Santa’s Workshop toy store ar
Published July 1st 2017 by Kristin Painter (first published March 4th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Frost Solves a Cold Case, please sign up.
Winter Arcane Very suitable. This is a PG-13. There is some very mild violence and non-graphic sexual references, but nothing that would be out of place in a book…moreVery suitable. This is a PG-13. There is some very mild violence and non-graphic sexual references, but nothing that would be out of place in a book for anyone old enough to know that sex is a thing that exists. I can't even recall there being any real profanity (Jane uses "Snowballs!" as her expletive of choice).(less)

Kat
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super-cute. Jayne Frost, winter elf and niece of Santa Claus, is sent from the North Pole to Nocturne Falls, where supernaturals can live as they are because Halloween is celebrated every day of the year, to investigate a series of disappearances in one of the present factories—or rather employees who keep leaving without a trace. Once there, she discovers a cat (adorable) and more questions than answers, runs into an ex-boyfriend, Cooper, who doesn’t recognize her because of her spiffy elf-glam ...more
Sharon
So I have been reading this for 2 and a half months, and it has been really fun and soothing. I like that it is so stress-free but also intriguing enough for me to keep on reading. I certainly took my time reading it, and I don’t regret that choice because it let me enjoy the simplicity of the book.

I still prefer Nocturne Falls because that one is more romance-based, cute, and has a wider variety of characters. Jayne Frost, on the other hand, is a cozy mystery that centers on only one protagonis
Lexxi Kitty
It’s silly how many works I’ve given 5 stars so far in 2018. I mean, it’s true that I had my first DNF last night, and probably won’t continue the other book that was on my currently reading list, and I’ve been better at just skipping books that were annoying me without DNF’ing them or finishing them but . . . still, my overall rating for this year is something probably close to 4.9 or something weird like that. 99.9% of this has little to do with this here book so let’s get to that.

See, I had t
Melanie
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this new series! I am not sure if I would describe it as a spin off - more like an adjacent series to the regular Nocturne Falls books.

New readers will easily be able to jump right in without having to have read the regular Nocturn Falls series (although fair warning - be prepared to want to go and grab them lol) and current followers of the series (like me) will get to see things from new perspective.

As with the regular Nocturne Fall books the story is complete in its own right but this
Tiffany PSquared
Audible Audiobook Review

Jayne Frost goes undercover as "Lillibeth Holiday" to investigate why employees at Santa's Workshop toy store in Nocturne Falls keep disappearing.

A cute story. Entertaining and well-written. I only have one gripe: The audiobook narration was distracting. Narrated by Hollis McCarthy - who has a very pleasant voice - the story suffered because of her distracting.... lengthy pauses... in nearly every... sentence.

I'm not kidding. In almost every sentence there was a pause tha
Amy
May 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I feel like the author really wanted to appeal to lovers of the movie 'Elf.' But she also wanted to grab edgy adult readers who think innuendos about vampires and biting make for a good story. So she combined the two.
And son of a nutcracker, it does not work.
Despite all the horrendous ice puns and fairly shallow heroine (she is a princess and people treat her different life is sooooo unfair) I generally enjoyed the mystery and the idea of Jack Frost sending his daughter undercover to solve a m
Sally906
The first in a new paranormal series set in the fictional Nocturne Falls, this is a cosy mystery with a touch of romance - all I can say is when is the second book coming out?

LOVED IT!!!

Light, fluffy, good mystery plot and a very suitable ending that didn't come out of left field.
Berit☀️✨
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was just fun!
Jane the daughter of Jack Frost is sent to Noctern Falls, Disguised as a regular elf, trying to figure out why the workers at that toy store keep disappearing... of course Jane runs into her ex-boyfriend Cooper in this town along with a fabulously handsome vampire Grayson, it looks like there is going to be an elf vampire love triangle, this is new... along with meeting these men she has also met some fabulous friends, loved the characters in this book, and the town itself
Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon
Another book where my first impulse was to rush out and buy book 2. I am up to book 5 of the main Nocturne Falls series so thought i would start this companion series and when i first started it, I wasn't sure i was going to enjoy it as much as I am enjoying the other series. However Jane, and the rest of the characters and the story grew on me. I felt like the mystery was a tiny bit easy to pick and that there weren't too many twists and turns. Maybe its because of the other books i have been r ...more
Deniz
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-16
3.5Stars

Miss Frost Solves A Cold Case is a spin-off from the cute Nocturne Falls Series. It totally works on it's own, so it's a fun book to read even if you haven't read that series.
While it is set in Nocturne Falls, the world building being the same, this novel has a quite different feel. It has more a Agatha Christie does Urban Fantasy vibe than the PNR cuteness of Nocturne Falls.

I love the mystery part of this novel. I love Jayne's POV. The entire book is told from her POV. Jayne, though s
Quenya
This was a good little book. The story had a quick pace and was over before I knew it and not in a bad way. I didn’t feel like it the author was dragging the story out like some of my more recent listens have. Once Jayne started to put the pieces together the mystery picked up the pace and was a nice satisfying end. The events after the solution of the mystery was revealed did a respectable job of setting up the next book in the series and most things had a decent conclusion.

The author did a rea
Emily
Jayne is the daughter of Jack Frost, she is still trying to find her place in the family business but it seems like she will never quite fit in. When she is assigned to investigate elf's disappearing in Nocturne Falls. Under a charm she changes her appearance and who she is to get to the bottom of this. She doesn't expect to meet Greyson, a handsome vampire and she never expects to reunite with ex boyfriend Cooper. Can she find who is taking the elves while fighting off her attraction to two men ...more
Moondance
I knew the moment I walked into my father's office, this wasn't going to be one of those friendly father-daughter, how's-life-treating-you conversations.

Jayne is the daughter of Jack Frost, The Winter King and the niece of Santa. Santa has stores all over the world that he can pull toys from during his Christmas Eve ride. The store in Nocturne Falls is having a problem with employees going missing. Jayne is sent in undercover to discover what is going on. Nocturne Falls is filled with supernatur
✨Susan✨
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the start of a cute light cozy about Jack Fosts’ daughter working undercover. Good story with fun characters.
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun listen. Something easy and light to just lay back and enjoy. But all the talk about food and sweets and supernatural metabolism was just cruel. And the French accent was terrible (this seems to be universal in English audio books and always throws me right out of the story). The mystery was interesting enough, but rather safe and low on the angst. I liked hanging out with Jayne and her new friends and am not averse to return someday to Nocturne Falls and it's lively supernatural p ...more
Suzanne
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm glad there is another series set in Nocturne Falls - this one features Jayne Frost, the Winter Princess. The plot was ok, but what I like most about these books is the setting - well and I did like this main character - how could I not, when she drinks Dr. Pepper in the shower? :)
Kathy Davie
First in the Jayne Frost magical realism-mystery series revolving around Jayne Frost, Jack’s misfit daughter and Santa’s niece…and a spin-off within the Nocturne Falls Universe. This story takes place in Georgia.

My Take
It’s a cute, cozy mystery that uses first person protagonist point-of-view from Jayne’s perspective. A Jayne who doesn’t fit in anywhere — it’s a nice bit of backstory and well-inserted — no info dumping in this story. Yay!

Painter does a nice job of setting the series up as Jayne
Amanda
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mystery taking place in the middle of Nocturnal falls, this book had me at hello. This story is Christmas meets Halloween and its super cool. The focus of the story is surrounding the mysterious disappearance of Santa's little work shop employees. Jayne as the Winter elf princess has been sent to investigate the disappearance and shes relishing the chance to go under cover and not be treated like the royal princess. Shes sick of the people who suck up to her or ignore her just because of who h ...more
Geri
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great story. I liked that it was set in Nocturne Falls. There were plenty of familiar characters. Also, the new supernatural story line of elves and Christmas magic. Looking forward to more Jayne Frost.
Marshelle
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Y'all know I love me some Nocturne Falls, so of course I had to dive into the spin off. And then I find out it's about the daughter of Jack Frost

Kristen Painter writes the most perfectly balanced characters, they're strong, badass people with flaws that just make them feel so real. I especially think she did a wonderful job creating Jayne. She's smart, powerful, and kind. On the other end of the spectrum she lies, breaks into a lot of places, and just in general is really fucking nosy. Like I m
Amyiw
I like Nocturne Falls because it has a cute romance going but the stories have idiotic happenings and the answers are a bit obvious. This had the idiotic story line but no sweet romance. It had a inept investigator. (view spoiler) Wow, how stupid is she? (view spoiler) ...more
Margaret Hasemann
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone's definately going on the Naughty List!

Jane Frost is the daughter of the Winter King, Jack Frost, and neice of the jolly fat man himself on her mothers side; but none of that does her any good when she goes undercover as Lilibeth Holiday at the Nocturne Falls Christmas store. She has been sent there to discover why so many employees have disappeared, not just quit but actually gone missing without a trace. At least one she discovers on her first day there had left everything behind, incl
Denise
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2018
Employees at the Santa's Workshop toy store in Nocturne Falls have been going missing, so Jack Frost sends his daughter Jayne undercover to find out what's going on. Between making friends with her coworkers, rescueing a cat, encountering dual distractions in form of a sexy vampire and her ex, the incognito Winter Princess turned investigator has a lot of things to juggle while solving an ever more baffling mystery.

I adore Kristen Painter's Nocturne Falls series and I enjoy a good cozy mystery,
Sheila Burke
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I've read several books by Kristen Painter now, and she always delivers. Creative, well-written, and well-paced, and very enjoyable. Okay for younger readers (no cursing or sexy times). Well worth the time to read.
Elizabeth Wheeler
Loved it

Another great series by Kristen painter. She just has a knack for developing characters and environments. I have enjoyed every one of her books and series. And I have fallen in love with nocturnal falls.
Nola Arganbright
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Baby, it's cold inside

A cute and interesting cozy. A town of Supernatural beings, a Christmas story that is open all year long and disappearing elves. Winter Princess Elf meets a sexy Vampire and a hot Summer Elf and tries to solve the mystery.
Karen
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
i am really enjoying the way Kristen painter writes
Jules (Never enough time to read)
I loved it.

I definitely want to pick up all the other books in the series and preferably soon.
p. b.
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't like it.. I found the mystery so obvious.. but that's not what bothered me... what bothered me was how oblivious the lead was to everything. then add how she uses guys to get what she wants... I wanted to shake her more then once.
Nook books: December 21, 2018 1 1 Dec 21, 2018 07:04PM
Play Book Tag: Miss Frost Solves a Cold Case - Kristen Painter (3 stars) 1 13 Dec 16, 2016 06:16PM

• The Skeleton Makes a Friend (Family Skeleton Mystery #5)
  • Fright Court (Fright Court, #1)
  • Gabrielle (Sunfire, #24)
  • A Rather Charming Invitation (Penny Nichols, #3)
  • Fangs for the Memories (Half-Moon Hollow, #4.5)
  • Danielle (Sunfire, #4)
  • Elizabeth (Sunfire, #3)
  • Jane Vows Vengeance (Jane Fairfax, #3)
  • Jennie (Sunfire, #31)
  • Total Eclipse of The Hunt (The Happily Everlasting Series, #5)
  • Mr. Peabody's House (Werewolves, Vampires and Demons, Oh My, #2)
  • Paws and Effect (Mystic Notch Cozy Mystery, #4)
  • Devotion (Forbes Mates, #1)
Kristen Painter likes to balance her obsessions with shoes and cats by making the lives of her characters miserable and surprising her readers with interesting twists. She currently writes award-winning paranormal romance and cozy mysteries. The former college English teacher can often be found on twitter @Kristen_Painter, Facebook at www.facebook.com/KristenPainterAuthor where she loves to intera ...more

Jayne Frost (6 books)
  • Miss Frost Ices The Imp : A Nocturne Falls Mystery (Jayne Frost #2)
  • Miss Frost Saves The Sandman: A Nocturne Falls Mystery (Jayne Frost, #3)
  • Miss Frost Cracks A Caper  (Jayne Frost, #4)
  • Miss Frost Braves the Blizzard (Jayne Frost, #5)
  • Miss Frost Chills The Cheater (Jayne Frost, #6)
“Mesmerized by a voice that sounds like silk drawn over steel and dusted with the lilt of the Irish.” 0 likes