Start by marking “A Cross to Bear (Gabriella Cross, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Cross to Bear (Gabriella Cross, #1)

A Cross to Bear

(Gabriella Cross #1)

Gabriella Cross, a magazine reporter living outside of Chicago, is devastated when her sister is found dead. Intent on finding the killer, she follows the trail to billionaire playboy Michael Steele. When she finally confronts the mysterious man, Gabby is plunged into an ancient war between werewolves and vampires. Dark secrets are revealed, and she discovers that she has ...more
Published March 22nd 2016 by Kindle Press

Montzalee Wittmann
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Cross to Bear (Gabriella Cross #1) by M.J. Lovestone is a kindle scout book I won. It is a clever book with paranormal elements and a mystery. The girl of the story finds her sister dead and thinks playboy Steele is involved. She confronts him. Soon she finds herself in a world with vampires, werewolves, and she has a gift. One she may not want but may need. I really enjoyed this book.
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
A Cross to Bear is my first taste of M.J. Lovestone. I picked this up on Amazon Prime Reading, so it was free to read, unfortunately this book didn’t work for me.

This was one messed up story. The writing was not great. This story has cheating, abusive rapist husband, a young silly heroine, and alcohol characters. I only got to Chapter 7 - 15% when I DNF’d this title.

I picked up A Cross to Bear; because of the title, cover, and free Prime Reading.

Gabriella Cross aka Gabby is only 25, married t
Barbara
Oct 16, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book was so vulgar and badly written that I only read about 20 pages. Ugh. Such trash.
Llaph
So ... there were different things I didn't like this time around. I tried reading the second but totally had to dnf that one. I'm also taking down the rating I put for this one.
5/8
There were things that I liked in this book and things that I did not. I almost DNF'd it near the beginning during an intense/horrific scene with her husband. I normally don't shy away from books that choose to include abuse, rape, or torture. To me it is how it is handled afterwards and in my opinion it wasn't handle
Arlene Adams
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural
Got this book free from Kindle Scout.
It doesn't take long for the action to start I really liked that. Gabby has a troubled life from the start which is good preparation for things to come. On of my favorite scenes was Maggy with a baseball bat. I don't want to spoil the moment for you but I really like Maggy's spunk. Quip's character cracks me up! I love that he dolls Gabby up for her interview with Michael. Victor had me fooled shame on you M.J! So ill say this if your into vampires, werewolv
Sherry Haynes
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have seen some mixed opinions on this book from one star up to five. For me it was a four. I have to admit that some parts could be considered as taboo but to me this is a dark read that I want more of. There is violence on many levels, rape, assault, deceit, loyalty, love and hatred. The reader will have to understand that not all react the same way to different aspects and trauma in life. Remember that it is a paranormal read and that it is dark fiction and the reader will enjoy what it has ...more
Rebecca
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-scout
Plenty of action and building tension in this book. Werewolves, vampires, witches, and other supernatural creatures abound. But who is good and who is bad? Gabriella is insecure in who she is, living in the shadow of her sister, and she frequently wonders what her sister would do in various situations. Once Gabby finds her own power and strength, she grows more confident. One complaint was the gay guy was rather typecast in his profession (hairdresser) and mannerism (bitch and queen).
Melissa
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Good read

Couldn't put the book down, kept my interest from the beginning to the end. I am looking forward to reading the next book.
Lynn B. Bangs
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Twilight ripoff?

This seems a bit of a Twilight ripoff. Still found it a bit enjoyable. Will read the next one and hope it is better.
Tara
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good story

I enjoyed this book. It had quite a twist in the end! I will definitely be looking for the next one.
Cheri
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nice smooth read with plenty of action and some Twists along the way. No cliff hanger but enough info to see a great series to follow.
Jason
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This genre of book is not something I would normally read, however, I have been a fan of the Author for some time, and have read all his other works, which have been exceptional.
I was asked to read this as a part of the Kindle Scout process to see if I could help get it included, and again, although something I would never normally look at, I'm glad I did.
This is a well written story that is a lot of fun. The Author has continued from his other works with creating interesting and engaging chara
Timothy Bateson
A Kindle Scout Winner - And A Worthy One

This is one of a handful of books that I have backed as a Kindle Scout member. I am so pleased to see that the KS team picked this book up for publication, as it is a real winner.
I'm not normally someone who picks books from the paranormal romance section of the bookshelves, but this book is way more than just the romance elements. It is a well-crafted story about a woman who loses everything, and has to put herself back together before she can face the ve
Georgina
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books
I really enjoyed it. I received a free e-copy through the Kindle Scout program after nominating the book which was selected for publication. I liked Gabriella, but she was dumb at times as mentioned by characters in the book. Seriously, she didn't know that silver bullets is a poison to werewolves. The book is told in the present time and with all of the vampire and werewolf movies out she should have had some knowledge of the stories whether true or not. Her family did her such an injustice by ...more
MEG Munro
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a DEFINITE MUST READ!!

I thought I already reviewed this great story but apparently I didn't.
I want to tell the readers that this author has it all together writing this fantastic story.
Gabby, the main character in the story has gone through so much throughout the entire story. First, her husband is a jerk to put it mildly. He's abusive to her, he drinks too much and he has a girlfriend on the side.
Gabby's only out is to run to her sister's house because her sister, Maggie, ALWAYS is ther
Douglas B. Hull
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not as bad as other's have reviewrd

I hope this becomes a series, I enjoyed the story telling. Folks then to feel that every book should be with out errors. Well the world isn't with out errors. I feel a story should be enjoyable to read, and a good one over and over again. This story is one that I enjoyed reading. Finished it in four hours will enjoy reading again. Reading should be fun with a capital F. It was the first way of commutating thought and ideas. The sagas, and fables are good exampl
The One Tree
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyable romp...

No spoilers...

Nice light read. There wasn't much I didn't like and there were a couple of characters I absolutely adored.

Not as many surprises as I would have liked though and a few typos but not terribly annoying.

(My goodness! What a terrible review. Typos galore and little to no content... I really must read this book again and do over this review. My apologies to y'all- I have no idea why I felt the need to speak such a lack lustre review! Will remedy asap. *muah*)
Jeannie
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As in amazing story this book started with giving me a foundation of the story. Then WHAM, Gabby loses her sister, the drama and meat of the story unfolds. Parts of the story I thought I knew exploded into the unknown. The vibrant depth of the characters made me want to read more. It's a must read for all.

*I voluntarily and honestly reviewed this advance reader copy and was not compensated in any way.*
Tia
Apr 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Infuriating!!!!

This book could have been amazing. It has all the makings of a good read. There is no character development for the main character. The lead males are extremely flat. Major plot points are glossed over and not even fully explored! The major points of the book are interesting but I feel like this book could have been separated into at least two books so everything could have been fleshed out.
Chris
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Good story about a stupid woman

A Cross to Bear is really an enjoyable novel if you can get over the fact that the main character is truly a naive twit. I was on to what was happening way before she started to become aware of anything. She's supposed to be a journalist. No wonder she got canned!

Spoiler question:
Why would a billionaire kill someone and leave them on their own doorstep?

Will I read the next book?
Yes. Yes I will. Now who's stupid? *slapping forehead*
Tiffanie Kessler
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I loved Gabriella's transition in the book. She definitely grew as the book progressed. It was interesting to see her develop. I did think that the relationship was a little forced between the main characters and that they seemed to just fall in love over a moment's time. However, I would and will definitely look for book two in the series.
Dalene
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes pnr
I read this book though Kindle Unlimited. I enjoyed reading this story, although I thought Gabrielle started out as an extremely weak character. She grew as the book went along. The storyline is good, I felt is started out a bit slow, but came a long nicely as it progressed. With the exception of Gabrielle starting out weak, the characters are well written and defined.
Sam M
Oct 30, 2016 rated it liked it
This was an interesting and dark story. This was a get to know the story line for future series, so it crammed a lot of information in. It would have been nice to learn more about Michael and his crew but that can be for next book.
I would recommend this book for a dark paranormal story .. I did enjoy it.
「 Sunnie Rose 」
Roland Minden
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun Story

I don't know what I was expecting, but this is a great story. Great character development with a few interesting plot twists. Slow start with the world's worst week for Gaby.
Peggy Fonseca
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A different kind of vampire / werewolf story. Definitely no sparkling bodies in the sun! Some domestic violence in the beginning that may offend some, but I just saw it as the touch of reality it is.
Kathy Harrington
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really good start to this (i hope) series. When you don't know.... who do you trust? Thrown into a world that you are left in the dark about and expected to be a hero. But, this one is filled with lies and betrayal that you didn't see coming.
janet
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
My opinion on this book

I started reading this book and found the start to be booting but if you per server it does get better but more information could of been added so. As not to leave so many loose ends.
Mercedes
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Good Paranormal mystery romance.
Good drama,action,angst,romance.Enjoyed reading.
Looking forward to the next in series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Wolf's Heir (The Wild Rites Saga #3)
  • Destiny (Experimental Heart #1)
  • The McClane Apocalypse, Book 1
  • Bite
  • No Light (The Dems Trilogy #1)
  • Dead Shifter Walking (The Succubus Executioner #1)
  • Fragile Brilliance (Shifters & Seers, #1)
  • The Encounter (Boreal and John Grey, #1)
  • Olivia
  • Iron (The Warding, #1)
  • Blood Double (God Wars, #1)
  • Hell Hounds Are For Suckers (Vampires of San Francisco, #2)
  • Dark Promise (Promises, #1)
  • The Alpha (Vanguards, #2)
  • Derrick (Circe's Recruits, #3)
  • This Blood (Grace Allen, #1)
  • Dark Seduction (Primordial Guardians, #1)
  • The Gladiators (Enslaved, #3)

Gabriella Cross (2 books)
  • Cross the Line: A Gabriella Cross Paranormal Romance Book 2