Start by marking “The Wolf's Boy” as Want to Read:
The Wolf's Boy

The Wolf's Boy

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  233 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
An outcast boy and a young wolf have only each other against an Ice Age winter . . .

Kai burns to become a hunter and to earn a rightful place among his people. But that can never be. He was born with a club foot. It is forbidden for him to use or even touch a hunter’s sacred weapons.

Cut off from the other boys, Kai turns to his true friends, the yellow wolves, for compani
Published June 7th 2016 by Disney Hyperion

Shomeret
I appreciated this story of an outcast boy and wolf becoming inseparable friends and allies. The descendants of this wolf might have become dogs. I particularly liked the way Beckhorn portrayed a Neanderthal character. It seemed more authentic than Jean Auel's depiction of Neanderthals.

(view spoiler)
Annette
THE WOLF’S BOY by Susan Williams Buckhorn tells the compelling story of a boy and his wolf set during the Ice Age.

Born with a clubfoot, baby Kai is left for the wolves. Miraculously he survives and forms a special bond with the wolf pack. Although shunned by his people, the boy develops a relationship with a homeless wolf cub and the pair journey into dangerous, unknown territory.

From fascinating rock art to amazing Paleolithic creatures, this carefully researched novel will bring the prehistori
Laureen
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely charming read. More wisdom in this little story than many spiritual books. Full of sadness and hope, strength and perseverance. I was a bit doubtful when I started this story but it grabbed me soon after. A great book for the young who are struggling to find their place in the world but equally good for all ages. Prehistoric it may be but some things never change.
Jessica
Afternoon read aloud. The kids liked this, gave it a 4. I, unfortunately, really did not enjoy reading this aloud. I usually do not mind the occasional scattered incomplete sentence, but this one used it frequently. Like all the time. Observations. Were so many sentence fragments. Annoying. In every paragraph. How do you read that fluidly? Perhaps the author thought writing like that would be more primitive, or immediate, or something, but personally it was way too much like reading my own priva ...more
Nat
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it
My interest in this novel waxed and waned. I liked the premise, the characters, and the primary conflict between the human boy (Kai), his brother and father, and his wolf (Uff). I have never read a novel about early humans, so that was a welcome change. However, this book moved rather slowly, at least relative to the books I normally read. I'm also generally not captivated by "animal friendship" novels. I can certainly imagine that this book would hook plenty of middle schoolers, so I'll recomme ...more
Andrew Kindratenko
Confusing that's all I have to say
Jessica Higgins
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Two creatures brought together, alone they will die, but together they just might be strong enough to survive.

Kai was born with a club foot and has been labeled Tabat, a disgrace to his family and tribe. He wants nothing more than to become a hunter like his brother and the other men of their clan. However, that is difficult since he is forbidden to use or touch a weapon. On the day he was born, his father left him to die with the wolves. Fate had other plans. The wolves kept him alive and his m
Carol Baldwin
A very long time ago, a baby boy is born with a withered foot. His father, obeying the rules of his people, leaves him out in the open, presumably to die. A mother wolf adopts him and treats him like one of her own pups. One night the boy’s mother hears a human cry mixed in with the cry of the wolves. With great longing for her child, she rescues him. In this way, Kai—or Wolfboy as the village boys eventually call him—begins his difficult, pain-filled life.

REVIEW
The author of THE WOLF’S BOY, (Di
Alexa
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of the book from a Goodreads giveaway. I read this to my 10-year-old son. Overall we both enjoyed the story of Kai and the wolf he rescued and named Uff.

Kai was born with a club foot, and the tribe's culture caused his father to put him in the woods for the wolves to eat. However, a wolf mother took him into her den and raised him with her pups. Eventually Kai's mother discovers him alive with the wolves and brings him back home with her.

As Kai grows, he is shunned by th
T.
No spoilers. For those of you who follow my reviews, you know I love books about nature and survival, especially in the Arctic regions during the time of early man. I am an Anthropology major, after all. Sometimes I enjoy reading books for young adult readers. This book, which I would recommend to young readers from 6th grade through high school, is about a young boy who saves a wolf cub from dying. He raises her and due to spiritual beliefs in their tribe, the boy and wolf are forced to leave t ...more
James
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
what a heartfelt tale... i am sure there is lots of symbolism throughout that i miss, but i just loved the tale itself... a boy, different from his fellow boys, teased as children are wont to do, that eventually comes into his own... we all have gifts, it is often just the matter of accepting them and using them, regardless of what others think or say or do... the camaraderie between Kai and Uff is wonderful to experience... i enjoyed the bits and pieces of quasi-prehistory thrown in too, they w ...more
Lisle Library Youth Services
Classic tale of a boy and his dog - except the boy is a Neanderthal outcast because of his club foot and his dog is a wolf pup he rescued from a pack that couldn't nourish her. Kai struggles to find his place with his family and his people who have always seen him as 'tabat' or unlucky. He finds himself a wolf companion who accepts him like no one else does and in the end, he has to make a choice between his people and his wolf. This is a unique story about believing in yourself when nobody else ...more
Tara Ethridge
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We were lucky enough to meet this author at a retreat where we were staying, and she gifted this beautiful book to my daughter. I read it voraciously and loved the main character dearly. Kia was born with a club foot during prehistoric times and has been taboo ever since in his own community. His friendship with a wolf pup becomes his greatest relationship, especially when they must leave the community to forge ahead together into the unknown. Watching Kai’s strength unfold and grow over time wa ...more
John Wheeles
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Early African tribal life, with all its superstitions, presented through the eyes of "curse" boy who befriends a wolf cub. The boy is cursed because of a deformed leg, making him too slow to be a hunter.

This is an excellent story of human determination, perseverance, longing, love, fear, and even cruelty. We see the outcast attempt to overcome his tribes fear of his deformity. We also see true humanity in some tribal members, who refuse to treat him poorly.

This is a great story, with an even be
Tara Breuer
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. Though there is only so much we know about that period of life it was a great book of adventure, survival, belonging, being looked down upon because you are different but when being able to find friendship in everything that is different!
As a young adult I read the Clan of the Cavebear series (and loved it), so this is a book I looked forward to reading when I found it on one of the state reading lists for this year. I am excited to read some of her other books!
Brandon
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
As a freshman student, I liked reading The Wolf's Boy. I enjoyed reading about Kai changing throughout his life, he was a cripple but as his adventure progresses, he became a hunter no one believed he could be. I also liked the part that the pack of Yellow Wolves took him in because his family abandoned him at birth. But the part that I disliked was having to go to the back of the book and find the definitions of some words because they were not English words. It was kind of time-consuming.
Kristine
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I give it 4 stars instead of 3 for being original. It was a good story, the writing was fine, nothing remarkable, and the characters were interesting though not necessarily memorable. But I have never heard of or read another middle grade novel set in the prehistoric era. So bravo! A little bit of Jungle Book, a little Clan of the Cave Bear, and some Disney Brother Bear all mixed together.
Lora
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit, ya
Not a bad book. There were some beautifully crafted scenes. No kid-and-wolf survival story will ever compare for me to Julie of the Wolves. This one came close. If I'd been the targeted age group i would have given it five stars.
It starts out with rough edges and slow, but it improved all the way to the end. That's always a star in my book, right there.
Theresa Grissom
Wow, wow, wow!! Such a wonderful, suspenseful book!! It took me a few chapters to get into the flow but once I did, there was no putting this down and I read this in one sitting! I cannot wait to recommend this to the upper elementary students at my school. I have a feeling this will be a popular one.
Allison Kloehs
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My 12 yo son truly enjoyed this book. He liked the story because it was about a boy and his wolf and the adventures they had to face together during the ice age. He thought the story kept his attention and was only disappointed when the story ended. He is hoping for a sequel.
Emily
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story of Kai and his wolf, Uff! This book reminded me a little of Jean M. Auel's Earth's Children Series (but "G-rated"). I look forward to reading more from Susan Williams Beckhorn... Next up: Wind Rider
Kara
This historical Middle Grade novel is a heartwarming tale about a boy and his dog set in prehistoric time. It was a quick read and a bit light on plot but enjoyable nonetheless.

I received a free copy from Goodreads in exchange for a fair review.
Kathleen
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an engrossing, almost mythic tale of a prehistoric boy and the wolf cub he saves. It should be of interest to middles grade children. The book is open-ended which leaves room for the reader to speculate.
Mrs.
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A boy, his wolf-dog, and coming-of-age.This book is slow to get into, partly due to words from Kai's people's language. Once the story gets started, the action picks up for a quick read. Readers of survival stories will appreciate this book, once they get past the first few chapters.
Alana "Loni"
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
It ended very abruptly, but I enjoyed reading it. A good story about not fitting in, and also a good dog story!
Emily Wallace
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read. I liked reading about primitive/early man and his connections to wild dogs. I think students who like survival books will enjoy this read.
Bullying
symbiosis
dog
wolf
relationships
Mary
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cin
One of those books I wanted to like more than I actually did.
Kara Cat
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Renee Smith
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won-books
Won this book from Goodreads Giveaway. This is a wonderful book, I love the storyline and the love between him and the wolf is so awesome. It is just a wonderful book. Love Love Love it!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Biography
I grew up in Winchester, Massachusetts, the youngest in a family where kids, animals, and the outdoors were important. I wish every kid could have what we had: a patient old dog, woods and a pond to muck around in, a leaky wooden row boat, plenty of paper and paints and scissors and glue—and books. Mum and Dad read us Wait Till the Moon is Full, The Burgess Books, Charlotte’s Web, The Wi