Start by marking “Man, I Hate Cursive: Cartoons for People and Advanced Bears” as Want to Read:
Man, I Hate Cursive: Cartoons for People and Advanced Bears

Man, I Hate Cursive: Cartoons for People and Advanced Bears

No one does comics like Jim Benton. His creativity and artistry have led to the monster success ofIt's Happy BunnyandDear Dumb Diary,and his standalone strips have topped Reddit's comics section for years.

Jim Benton's first cartoon collection was nominated for an Eisner. This new volume collects more of Jim's most popular strips from Reddit, shining a light on talking
Published October 18th 2016 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Man, I Hate Cursive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man, I Hate Cursive

Start your review of Man, I Hate Cursive: Cartoons for People and Advanced Bears
karen
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-laughter
 photo IMG_8034_zpskrtrkgjw.jpg

this book is by that dude that drew all those mean/sarcastic bunnies that seemed to pop up everywhere during my late adolescence:

i have a pillow he designed, and i discovered this book while looking for a replacement for it because this:

photo IMG_7126_zpsuak5zzda.jpg

is unacceptable.

alas, i could not find one.

the book, though, i totally found, and it's a fun collection of his artwork/humor. he's blessed with a capability to draw in a wide range of styles, none of which look like those bunnies.

photo IMG_8035_zpsrp2kot7z.jpg

photo IMG_8028_zps4kbbqb3f.jpg

photo IMG_8015_zpsqnxw4an2.jpg

there are also
Montzalee Wittmann
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Man, I Hate Cursive: Cartoons for People and Advanced Bears by Jim Benton is a collection of his cartoons and they are great! There is not one that is not funny! What a wonderful collection. I have to get this book for a family member of mine for Christmas this year! It would be perfect for the person "that has everything". The art is great and the humor is off the wall and hilarious. Loved it! I received this book from NetGalley for a honest review.
Sam Quixote
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
An artist who draws a crap duck painting then sells the pastel-splattered rag underneath it as the real art, a fat guy who likes Cheetos, a wizard who summons a lemon instead of a demon thanks to cursive (the cartoon on the cover), and what do the buttons on Darth Vader’s chest really do? These are the one-page cartoons of Jim Benton most of which are pretty meh, though a few aren’t bad.

I liked the God cartoons, like “Every time God closes a door, he opens a window” showing God closing a door,
Taryn
An amusing cartoon collection from Jim Benton. It covers a wide variety of topics such as relationships, pet ownership, and modern life. Some of the cartoons were more depressing than I expected. If you appreciate sitcom-style humor and don't mind the occasional butt/fart joke, you might want to check out this collection!

I received this book for free from Andrews McMeel Publishing & NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my
abby
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I was expecting something cute, a little fluffy, just based on the author/artist's drawing style. And, yes, this book contains a few adorable cartoons that give you a chuckle. However, a lot of others rely on low-effort comedy. I consider jokes about modern artists, religious persons, and political correctness to be low-hanging fruit. Period jokes? How inventive. I do think the artist is talented, and I enjoyed the illustrations, but the humor falls short.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley
Scarlet Cameo
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
Spanish review at the bottom

I had hopes for this comic strip, the cover made me think it would be a simple and understandable humor that would give me a bit of fun but, instead, I felt like the author knew that this could not like to lot of people and create the next picture in our honor:

There were some jokes that I really enjoy, especially two references to God (that you will found at the end of this review) but, apart of these, wasn’t much to rescue, almost all passed through my eyes without
Anusha Narasimhan
Some of the cartoons were funny. I found a few of them to be boring. Overall, a good one time read.

Note: I received a free copy of the book from the publisher. This review is my personal opinion and has not been influenced anyway by anyone.
Stewart Tame
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I had seen some of these cartoons--most notably the one on the cover--on Facebook previously. But it was only when I started reading the book, and saw the list of other books that Benton has done, that I realized: he’s the creator of Happy Bunny. I love the Happy Bunny cartoons, and was pleased to see more of that same sense of humor at work.

So this is a collection of one page cartoons, a mixture of strips and single panels. It's short, but fun. Some of these made me laugh out loud; others were
Monika Sadowski
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
hm.. I've never done a comic sketch review before but this one actually wasn't bed. The humor was pretty dark but in hilarious way. Some of them were funny, some ok, some not funny at all and some I just didn't get it. I had few out loud laughing. Overall it was very entertaining reading and I actually enjoy it.
Megalion
This is a compilation of funny cartoons ranging from quick sketches to detailed ones for print.

Wonderful sense of humor. Easy recommend.

Thanks to the publisher for the free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Wayne McCoy
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
'Man, I Hate Cursive' by Jim Benton is a collection of cartoons that I'm almost embarassed to have found funny. They definitely have a dark side, but along with that, there is occasionally a sentimental side as well.

From the title cartoon, where a wizard summons a lemon instead of a demon thanks to cursive writing, to a man and a woman getting ready for a night out. She transforms into a beauty, he into a chimpanzee. There are comics about art and animals and parenting. There are jokes about God
Ylenia
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
*ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review, thanks again*

Since I'm always on the Internet doing something, I already saw a couple of the pages and found them really funny.
I mean...
YEAH
I didn't find all of these comic strips (am I even using the right terminology here? whatever) funny and some of them reminded me of the ones you find on newspaper next to the crosswords of the day. Some others were just so true.
LOL
I read a couple of funny coffee table type of books this year and this
Molly
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very funny collection of short comics. I enjoyed it more than I thought I might, being pretty unfamiliar with Jim Benton.
Bunny
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Received via Netgalley in exchange for a fair and unbiased review.

Browsing Netgalley's humor section, and paused at this cover. I literally LOL'ed, and decided to give it a shot. It wasn't until after I'd gotten my hands on it that I spied something, and quickly googled to confirm it.

Jim Benton is the inventor of Happy Bunny.

DEAR GOD.

Okay, so he's already starting out with 3 stars just for that. Screw unbiased reviewing, this is the Happy Bunny guy.

I am very pleased to report that he earned
Jody McGrath
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
* I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review *
Okay, so I am not really sure how to review a book of comic sketches. I do know that this was laugh out loud funny. It was pretty dark in an hilarious morbid way. I guess I really like that. There were a few I didn't quite get, but that is probably my own ignorance. This book was a riot though. Just don't give it to anyone who is too uptight. Or maybe do, and laugh at them get all offended! Lol!
Jennifer Y.
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it
With a variety of styles and topics, Jim Benton's latest collection of comics is sure to offer a little something for everyone. If you're familiar with his work or have browsed the Internet, you might have seen a few of these comics before, as I have. Some made me laugh, some made me think, and some just weren't for me. Pretty much like any form of art or humor, it's all subjective.

*I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*
Claire
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
it wasn't bad, it just wasn't for me.
Ari
Aug 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Some of these were amusing, some were okay, and some were meh. It’s to be expected in a collection like this.
Deysha  Lopez
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I laughed and enjoyed this so much! Definitely not everyone's type of humor, but who cares, right? It is what it is and it was so fun.
Melissa
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, arc, ebooks
This was a fun collection of comics with themes around art/artists, funny animal thoughts, bizarre musings, and deep thoughts.
Ghoul Von Horror
It was meh. A few chuckle moments but none that made me laugh hard. Some of the jokes seemed random and confusing .
Finn Longman
I requested this from NetGalley for one reason only: because I've seen the cover picture on Tumblr, and not only is the joke funny, but the lemon is way more adorable than a lemon has any right to be. It's one of my favourite comics, that lemon. So I figured if that one picture could make me laugh that hard (and yet also be weirdly protective of a lemon with a pleased expression on its face), a whole book would be even better.

Sadly, I think the lemon remains my favourite comic in this
Dean
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Man, I Hate Cursive Cartoons for People and Advanced Bears by Jim Benton

I received a free copy of the book in exchange for my honest review. That fact has not altered my opinion of it one way or the other. If I could give half stars, it would get a 4.5

Every page of this book contains a little nugget of truth bent to Benton's view of reality. Not all the nuggets are deep, although some are ponderously so. Not all the nuggets are laugh out loud funny, although several pages caused just that reaction. There is, however, something of value on every page, so long as
Paul Franco
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is subtitled, “Cartoons for People and Advanced Bears.” As a UCLA grad, I don’t know which category I fall in.
Starts right off on the cover with a wizard trying to summon a demon and gets a lemon instead, which by its little smile seems happy to be there. Remember what they say about making lemonade. . .
But that’s really the only joke about cursive, as everything else is non-connected to everything else. There’s no long continuing stories, simply self-contained jokes like “the Far Side”
Mari Silva
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley. In exchange, I'm giving my most honest review (which, unfornunetly, isn't the best one, but at least is true).

I don't read many cartoons or even humorous books (though laughing is one of my favorite activities, no doubt) but I decided to try this out since I'm always open to new genres and new types of literature. I took a very short break from The French Impressionist (Rebecca Bischoff) and read this in no longer than 10 minutes. It was
J Earl
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Man, I Hate Cursive by Jim Benton is a solid collection of his comics. The humor runs from a bit morbid to everyday truisms.

Because Benton does not rely on one primary character or group of characters there is more room to experiment but also more hit or miss opportunities. There were some that did not resonate with me but by far there were more hits than misses. I probably liked the ones that might fall into the category of 'interesting twists on life', assuming that is even a category.

I would
Kristina Aziz
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
First, Jim Benton has created some great stuff. I don't know a single kid in Middle School who didn't like his work:
soTotallyTrueHappy Bunny
But this particular collection of images is way too short and not nearly good enough to justify charging fourteen dollars for it. If I saw this book in the impulse section of a grocery store for five dollars, I'd probably get it as a gift for someone who I have to pretend to like but don't really like at all. The few that I did think were funny, I can reblog off of tumblr for free.
Kumar Kutliev
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am not an avid funny-comics reader. I've dabbled in SMBC and Sarah's Scribbles, but this was more of the typical, story-in-4-panels type of deal, and this is the first time I loved it! Half the jokes in this comic are gold, despite the other half being bland, which is more than what I can say about other funny comic artists. His relatability is high because he has a lot of observational humour. Despite this, there are a bunch of hickups. For example, the comic where the man's wish form a ...more
IncuriousKat
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So, I did not even know who Jim Benton was before picking up this book. Despite the fact that I have seen his work being shared on social media a lot recently. I can honestly say I am now a fan. I thought it was going to be another average artist with poorly done jokes. That was not the case, however, and I am glad I was proven otherwise. While the illustrations were not the best, I still found them to be enjoyable. The jokes, situations, and humor was the real winner of the show, making it the ...more
Karmen
/A free arc of the book was provided to me by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review/

"Cartoons for People and Advanced Bears" or in short," Man, I hate cursive" is a funny little book. It's filled with short comics sure to make you chuckle.

As it is expected, not everyone has the same sense of humor, so you might not like every one of them - Me, personally didn't get a few, but I just shrug those off and enjoyed the ones I did like. I really liked the diversity in the book - There weren't
« previous 1 3 next »

• Heart and Brain: Body Language: An Awkward Yeti Collection
  • Fowl Language: The Struggle Is Real
  • Fowl Language: Welcome to Parenting
  • Emotions Explained with Buff Dudes: Owlturd Comix
  • Anonymous (Disorder collection)
  • Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story
  • Safely Endangered Comics
  • Cat vs Human
  • Oh, the Places You'll Eff Up: A Parody for Your Twenties
  • Fowl Language: Winging It
  • Giant Days, Vol. 11
  • Kind of Coping: An Illustrated Look at Life with Anxiety
  • Book Love
Benton began his career in a custom design t-shirt shop where he started designing his own characters. At the same time, Jim did illustrations and artwork for magazines and newspapers. People magazine named him "the most visible cartoonist in America" .

Benton also created greeting cards and worked in the magazine and publishing industry. In 1998, his SpyDogs characters became an animated series,