Start by marking “The Devil Crept In” as Want to Read:
The Devil Crept In

The Devil Crept In

Young Jude Brighton has been missing for three days, and while the search for him is in full swing in the small town of Deer Valley, Oregon, the locals are starting to lose hope. They’re well aware that the first forty-eight hours are critical and after that, the odds usually point to a worst-case scenario. And despite Stevie Clark’s youth, he knows that, too; he’s seen th ...more
Published February 7th 2017 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Crept In, please sign up.
Lisa I felt bad for Stevie, but was very irritated by the rhyme-speak device. It felt contrived and jarringly silly against the dark story.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Stevie lives in a small town where he gets picked on in school for stuttering and 'seeing' things differently than the other kids. He also gets beat on at home by his turd of a step-father. He does have one thing that he enjoys in life though, he BFF-ship with his cousin Jude. They do the normal boy stuff, beat on each other, play Monopoly...go into the woods and find a creepy old house.

Then Jude goes missing. Everyone seems to be kinda half-heartedly looking for him. Stevie can't stand that so
Zoeytron
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: public-library
If you are willing to risk your peace of mind, sit down with The Devil Crept In and begin to read. Know that the possibility is very real that it will nick and natter away at your sanity.

You come across a dilapidated house set far back in the woods. The trees around it are shivering, or perhaps it is the spiders skittering madly in the branches that make it seem so. There is something hunkered down in the shadows on the porch, something misshapen and malformed. Backtrack. Get away from there. N
Navidad Thélamour
Ania Ahlborn’s The Devil Crept In is the new Are You Afraid of the Dark? for adults--a lot of you will know that reference *wink*. Centered around a small town in Oregon, this novel had just enough bite to be entertaining, yet, the jury is still out on whether or not anyone’s going to be kept up late at night thinking about this one.

Stevie Clark is a 10-year-old loner—rather, he has no friends other than his best friend and cousin, Jude. His slight speech impediment (echolalia) and missing fing
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“I’d stay out of those woods if I were you. There’s something out there, and I can tell you it’s not a cougar or any of the nonsense the police keep trying to sell.”

A wise man once said . . . .

Such is the case when Jude goes missing after exploring the woods behind his house in Oregon only to show up several days later without being able to provide many answers as to where he’s been. As Jude’s behavior becomes more odd, only his cou
Kendall
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY wanted to like this book. AND this fell so flat for me and a huge disappointment. I would give this 2 stars. And I am a little shocked to see all the 4 and 5 stars for this one.

I'm a HUGE horror fan and have watched almost every horror movie out there. SO, I guess my standards for horror are a little high? But, no they aren't haha.

But, damn was I bored in this book. The beginning I was thinking.. ok hopefully this will pick up. It started to get good in the middle and then I just got
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, read-in-2017
Jude goes missing, so his cousin tries to find him. The animals in this town are all disappearing. Years ago, a boy went missing only to be found dead in pieces. And now when Jude suddenly reappears, he is different.

Stevie is best friends with his cousin Jude. Jude is two years older and is really his only friend. Stevie is bullied because he has a speech impediment and missing fingers on one hand. He also has an abusive step-father. It is really sad, so by the time Jude is missing you really fe
Shelby
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love horror books and this was the best I've read in a while. I haven't read many lately though since i have a hard time finding good horror authors/books. Ahlborn's writing reminds me of Nick Cutter's horror style; creepy but not too ridiculous. Honestly this is the best horror I've read since reading Cutter's The Troop and The Deep (his newer title Little Heaven didn't live up to the hype for me). I can't wait to read more of Ahlborn's work!
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've said it before in a previous review but I'll say it again, Ania Ahlborn has closed that gap between male and female writers of horror. She is right up there with the best of the best.
I buddy read this book with three other ladies. Jo @jobis89 Mindi @gowsy33 and Ashley @bookishmommy all of us got this book in our Nocturnal Readers Box.
I think this was Ashley's first attempt at reading horror. This is not our first trip to the circus for the rest of us, we're old hats at horror. *wink* And t
Crime by the Book
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars for this CRAZY read!!! This book was utterly chilling and completely addictive. Ahlborn is SUCH a superb storyteller - her books have the blood & guts of a horror novel, but they're intelligently plotted and masterfully developed. Holy freaking cow, I loved this read.

This book definitely starts out a bit slower - I didn't find it scary until I got past the first 100 pages. Don't expect the book to be in-your-face scary right away. If you're okay with being patient in that way, you w
11811 (Eleven)
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I never made a kid but if I did, he'd probably be something like Otto - not much of a conversationalist, loves animals... you'll get to know Otto better when you read the book...

I love Ania's writing. Different from Stephen King, but like the King, events that occur outside of the specific plot glue me to the pages as much as whatever relates directly to the story itself, and like the King, she's a great fucking storyteller.

The story of two adolescent boys written by a woman who must have been a
Bark (2 Dumb 2 Read Blurbs)
This story starts out a little slow but it’s of the slow burn variety that builds into something terrible and terrifying so I didn’t mind too much.

Stevie's best and only friend, Jude, wandered out into the woods near their home one day and never came home. No one besides Jude's mother and Stevie seem terribly upset about it. Jude was an unlikable sort, sure, but the lack of interest in finding him is a little bothersome so Stevie decides to investigate on his own. He and Jude had spent endless h
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/02/28/...

Don’t you just love it whenever a horror novel lives up to its promise? No joke, I actually had to stop reading this book at night because it was getting too disturbing and creepy for me, and you know I’m not one to scare easily. If this is what I’ve been missing out on for so many years, I wish to hell I’d started reading Ania Ahlborn much sooner.

In the small town of Deer Valley, Oregon lives a ten-year-old boy named Stev
Jaidee
Jun 28, 2017 added it
So frustrated.

It appears my ebook has two versions of this novel and I read the one that was unpolished.

I am not going to re-read it.

Aaaaaargh. so frustrated and annoyed.

This will remain unrated.

That devil certainly crept in !!
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I enjoyed this book overall. It was a rather slow starting book for me and I had a hard time really getting into the story at first. The whole first part of the book just didn't do a lot for me. The second section of the book picked up a bit and I found myself really getting interested. By the time, I got to the third part of the book, I was hooked and I couldn't wait to see how everything would come together.

Stevie is a 10 year old boy livi
Kimberly
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, emotional, wow, wtf
THE DEVIL CREPT IN, by Ania Ahlborn, is the story of two cousins, Stevie and Jude, and what happens when Jude disappears one fateful day. Although Stevie is two years younger than his cousin, the boys are best friends--due to Stevie's mangled hand, stuttering, and occasional hallucinations, and Jude's penchant for disregarding rules with his dangerous, angry streak--nobody else bothers with either of them.

"Life is no fun without the risk . . . "

When Jude disappears, Stevie views the half-heart
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
2.5 Stars

I'm not going to lie, this book threw me, it was so very...weird. But of course, in the best most messed up way possible.

Just when you think you know what is going on, the author would throw in another twist or another hint at something totally “else” and I would have to start all over again in wondering what the heck was really going on.

This was disturbing and gritty, and twisted and completely perfect for the fall season when I read it. It was creepy and raw, and even a bit vulgar but
aPriL does feral sometimes
'The Devil Crept In' is a horror story which builds slowly into a high intensity thriller! Plan on taking a day, or even better, a dark stormy night to read the novel, with the wind shrieking outside and thunder exploding nearby. If you are very brave and own a pet kitty, hold it in your lap as you read - companionship, right?

What was that noise? Did it come from outside? Why is kitty smiling? Is that a dog howling? Something is scratching at the window? What is...that....thing?

Ten-year-old Stev
Amy
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

4.5/5

I was a bit skeptical when I first started this one, it was on the slow side and there wasn’t much to be afraid of. I needn’t have worried because as the book progressed, so did the creep factor. This is broken up into three parts; part one is told by Stevie a ten year old boy. His cousin and best friend Jude is missing and he’s frantic with worry. Part two is told from Rosie’s perspective, she’s a young woman living deep in the forest of
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
THE DEVIL CREPT IN is a creepy story about a young boy who discovers that there is something or someone hiding out in the woods in a rundown house. Or is it really so? Stevie Clark has been plagued with awful visions for years, seeing things that aren't there. Could the thing he saw be just a fragment of his imagination? But when his cousin Jude goes missing, Stevie is convinced that what he saw is real and that perhaps the thing has something to do with Jude's disappearance. Years ago a little ...more
Bill
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Ania Ahlborn. She has been consistently good since her debut novel Seed. The Devil Crept In is no exception. There were some truly excellent and unique characterizations here, as well as, a trademark Ahlborn ending, which fit the story perfectly. I highly recommend anything that she puts out there. 4+ Stars!

Patrice Hoffman
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Devil Crept In is the second novel I've read by Ania Ahlborn. After having enjoyed Brother I was anxious to see if Ahlborn would thrill me with another read. The Devil Crept In did not disappoint but is definitely not for the faint of heart. If you're not into horror, blood, guts and things that go bump in the night stay far far away.

Ania Ahlborn introduces us to a Stevie Clark who is called into action when his best friend, and cousin Jude, goes missing. Stevie's world is turned upside down
Andi Rawson
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have loved Ania Ahlborn since I first read The Bird Eater and have since read everything that she has published. Although I have liked some books better than others, I can't say that she has written anything that I didn't enjoy; I don't actually think she's capable of that. Ania has a style that is hard to pin down, but you know the moment you pick up one of her books that it's hers and that this is what you need to be reading. The Devil Crept In is a book that you need to be reading.

Stevie Cl
Erin Dunn
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Thank you to Gallery Books for providing a free copy of The Devil Crept In By: Ania Ahlborn in exchange for an honest review.

I have been wanting to read one of Ania Ahlborn's books for a while now. I'm so glad I got a chance to read this one because I absolutely loved it! It wasn't very fast-paced for most of the book, but it was atmospheric and eerie. It suited the story so well and I'm a sucker for an atmospheric read.
#ILoveAtmosphere!

One thing I like m
Rachel
This was my first time reading a book by Ania Ahlborn, and it won't be my last! I thought her writing was spectacular. The most impressive part for me was having a ten year old main character whose voice was believable, sympathetic, and realistic. I felt for him and rooted for him the whole time. Never once did he annoy me (and I'd probably say that I annoy pretty easily when it comes to kids in books, LOL). A lot of authors just don't do the "voice" of children very well. I felt like Stevie's v ...more
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I won this book through a Goodreads Giveaway but have only promised an honest review.

Although this is not my usual fare, I do try to read horror from time to time to keep an eye on the genre and get a bit of a thrill, especially in October. I did not know this author, but once the book arrived, I started seeing reviews of an earlier title, The Shuddering.

One thing that appealed to me in the description is the location -Deer Creek is an imaginary rural community in the woods of Oregon. Some of th
Carlos
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it
meh.... thats my reaction to this book ... i mean it was engaging and the point of view of a 10 year old as a main protagonist is innovative , but at the end i just cannot help but feel that i wasn't satisfied by the ending ... it left a lot of unexplained questions and once you finish the book and look at the plot from the outside in you notice that it just wasn't that interesting ....it was too simple to make sense and i feel like the gory scenes were put there by the author just to spice the ...more
Althea Ann
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Ahlborn is excellent at crafting page-turning stories in the B-movie horror tradition. This is the third I've read by her, and while I haven't felt that any of them were 'great literature,' they certainly drag me along through their nasty mysteries.

'The Devil Crept In' is the story of Stevie, an emotionally disturbed child with an abusive stepdad and a mom who's great at denial, and who has never gotten around to taking him to a doctor. His only friend is his older cousin, Jude. So when Jude goe
Johann (jobis89)
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Because it's never the way you want it, she thought. The universe doesn't care."

Stevie Clark's best friend, Jude Brighton, has gone missing. With each passing hour, Stevie knows that the likelihood of Jude being found alive and well is falling. But the problem is, no one seems to care as much as Stevie does, and he is adamant to find out what has happened to his best friend. Stevie soon learns about the similar disappearance a number of years ago of another young boy, Max Larsen, who's dead bod
Vilma Iris
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked up Ania Ahlborn’s The Devil Crept In only after it arrived on my doorstep… I had no idea what to expect. What I got was a chilling, deftly written and utterly engrossing horror novel.

The story centers around a small-town kid who desperately searches for his cousin after mysteriously disappearing. What he uncovers is a dark and terrifying secret deep in the woods, hidden for years.

Two stories, present and past, twine together, as we inch closer, recluctantly, hands over eyes, not knowing
Jen (Book Den)
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, review-copy
Yes. Yes.
Yesyesyesyesyes.

Character driven horror. Do I need to say anything else? My enjoyment level was at full capacity throughout this entire book.

The Devil Crept In is divided into three parts. The first part follows Stevie and Jude, cousins and best friends. Jude goes missing and Stevie is left trying to piece together what could have happened and where his best friend could be.

Part two follows Rosie as she raises her son Otto alone. Normally when a book suddenly drops one storyline
Horror Aficionados : March 2018 Group Read #2: The Devil Crept In by Ania Ahlborn 82 229 Dec 26, 2018 08:15AM
The Devil Crept In 2 13 Nov 21, 2017 09:58AM
The Gothic Novel ...: The Devil Crept In 80 39 Aug 24, 2017 01:58AM
The Devil Crept In 1 7 Apr 16, 2017 11:18AM
Bloody Good Horror: Win A Signed Copy of Ania Ahlborn's The Devil Crept In 36 61 Mar 02, 2017 11:38AM

• The Moor
  • Witching Hour Theatre
  • The Chrysalis
  • Creature
  • We Should Have Left Well Enough Alone
Born in Ciechanow Poland, Ania has always been drawn to the darker, mysterious, and sometimes morbid sides of life. Her earliest childhood memory is of crawling through a hole in the chain link fence that separated her family home from the large wooded cemetery next door. She’d spend hours among the headstones, breaking up bouquets of silk flowers so that everyone had their equal share.

Author of n