Start by marking “Her Nightly Embrace (Ravi PI #1)” as Want to Read:
Her Nightly Embrace (Ravi PI #1)

Her Nightly Embrace

(Ravi PI #1)

The first in a trilogy of whip-smart novels—currently in development as a TV series set to star Sendhil Ramamurthy (NBC’s Heroes and Heroes Reborn)—about a destructive private investigator and his eccentric coworkers, who handle cases so high-profile that they never make the headlines.

Ravi Chandra Singh is the last guy you’d expect to become a private detective. A failed r
Published November 1st 2016 by Atria/Leopoldo Co.

Julie
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Her Nightly Embrace by Adi Tantimedh is a 2016 Atria/ Leopaldo &Co. Publication.

I had no idea what to expect from this book, but the publishers were so enthusiastic about it and their plans for audio and television projects featuring “Heroes” star Sendhil Ramamurthy, I couldn’t resist taking a look at it.

When Ravi Chandra Singh gave up his religious studies after his reputation was impugned, he is hired by Golden Sentinels, a detective agency located in London. While Ravi may not seem lik
K.J. Charles
Bought for two reasons: first the cover. Good *lord*. Second, the premise, which is fantastic: a London teacher turns PI for a discreet top-end outfit operating above and around the law. Also, he sees Hindu gods, who come and watch what he's up to and tweet to each other about him. With a hashtag.

I mean, that is *brilliant*. The book itself isn't quite up to the premise, but so little could be. It's fast moving and a lot of fun, but the writing is a bit thin, and could have used a stronger edito
Book of Secrets
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars → I heard a lot of buzz about this book, so I decided to give it a listen on audio. HER NIGHTLY EMBRACE is the first in a series that follows the investigations of Ravi Chandra Singh, P.I.

I enjoyed Ravi's character. He's smart, witty, flawed, and conflicted. He can also see Hindu Gods; they even tweet about him to each other. Ravi was once a religious scholar, but left his studies to become a teacher, a career that didn't last long. Eventually he landed a job with an exclusive detectiv
Purple Country Girl (Sandy)
I received a copy of Her Nightly Embrace from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

3.5

Her Nightly Embrace is the first in a series featuring a somewhat reluctant PI named Ravi Chandra Singh. Formerly a religious studies professor, Ravi lost his job after trying to help a student who was having an affair with another professor. Out of desperation to not only pay his own bills but to pay off his mother’s gambling debts and to pay for his sister’s wedding, Ravi takes a job with the Golden Se
❤Marie Gentilcore
This was a good but quirky read. It is the story of a private detective, Ravi Chandra Singh, who happens to see Hindu gods. Ravi is an entertaining character and there are a number of supporting characters who are also written well. I read somewhere that this will be adapted for a television series and I can see that being successful. I probably won't continue on with the book series but I'll checkout the tv series if I can.
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

There’s nothing like stumbling into a whole new life when things don’t go your way. Adi Tantimedh writes the story of Ravi Chandra Singh, a failed religious scholar and a former high school teacher who becomes a private investigator right out of the blue. This Indian P.I. isn’t like any other (who is, right?). People see something special in him. At least that’s what everyone at the Golden Sentinels, a London private investigations and security
Lata
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.... Interesting idea, that a former religious studies student then secondary school teacher who is now a detective suffers from hallucinations of hindu gods. Ravi takes medication to deal with these, and works at an agency that appears to be staffed with a variety of oddballs, but who are all very effective at their jobs. Ravi is funny, caring, profane, and actually pretty enjoyable, and it's pretty funny seeing various gods in contemporary garb tut-tutting Ravi.
Patty
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
** 4.5 stars **

Review to come!
Cardyn Brooks
Her Nightly Embrace could just as accurately have been called Golden Sentinels: The Ravi Case Files. It's a grab bag of diverse characters with an assortment of neuroses and methods of not/coping and self-medicating. Some Equalizer, Punisher, amoral versions of Judy Smith-like fixers, and otherworldly acid trippiness (which may or may not be real) make HNE a fun read as a satirical scrutiny of modern society in general, and for the privileged in particular. Shadowy elements in institutions and p ...more
Donna Davis
I was invited to read and review this title by Net Galley and Atria Books. I thank them for the opportunity. The first two chapters showed signs of promise, but in the end, this book is poorly written and for most, it will also be offensive. I can’t recommend this title. That said, it’s about to become a television program, so perhaps you will enjoy it more than I do. But I have to call them as I see them, and if they give this writer a host of awards, I will still say this book is worth one sta ...more
Heather
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it

I loved this story of a private eye handling high profile cases while the Hindu gods watch him and text on their phones.  There are several cases discussed here and they were well done.  I want to read more in this series to see what happens with the gods.
BUT....
The first case in the book is super problematic.  It only covers maybe the first 1/3 of the book so discussing it isn't going to going spoil the whole thing but here's your warning.

A politician comes to the agency because he says that
Ming
Jan 31, 2018 marked it as dnf
DNF. I read about 100 pages and stopped. The writing is capable but the story is flat in tone. I felt it was "light" and uninteresting and too gimicky. I did like the diverse mix of characters who are multi-racial (though a few boring tropes are present).
Babs
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Received in a Goodreads Giveaway.
What a slog this was! Seemed an interesting premise, a private detective who really doesn't seem the type, muddling through cases and family crises all whilst seeing judgemental Hindu gods.
Alas, really basic writing and paper thin characters really let the intriguing premise down. Almost seems slapdash writing, as one case lurches into another. The poor characterisation renders this mystical effort truly unconvincing. Probably more depth in a LinkedIn bio.

As you
Stargazer
Dec 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF. slogged through 100 pages but just could not get into it,maybe it will translate better onto screen.
i apologise if anyone reads my reviews for overuse of the word 'flat' to describe many a book i've read lately, but it's the most accurate description i can find both of the story and how it left me feeling - this book being added to a growing list.
Cate
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I barely made it halfway through this one before I had to call it quits. It was just trying too hard to be cool while coming across stilted and flat. It reads like a movie or television script, which is what it should have been instead of a novel.
Allison
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I laughed out loud enough that my roommate decided to try the book.
Heidi Kirsch
Dec 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Appalled. Whether its a man or woman, rape is rape
Elizabeth Fensin
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A schoolteacher joins a strange private investigations firm, and things get steadily weirder as one case leads to another. Bizarre and entertaining but not nearly as supernatural as the book blurb leads one to believe.
Marlene
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

As I read Her Nightly Embrace, it felt a lot like I was reading a media tie-in book for a TV series. While there is somewhat of an overarching story, the book is divided into sections that read an awful lot like separate episodes.

Which is completely fitting, as the series is in the process of being adapted for TV, and seems to have been written with that adaptation in mind. Which does not keep the book from being a fun and interesting read.

The cast of chara
Tracy
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: wndb, audiobook
This book definitely reads like something written for tv. Very short chapters whip by as Ravi solves a few different cases - all the while debating some of the moral quandaries private investigation work puts him in. The motley crew of colleagues and the way they play off each other is amusing and almost makes up for the relatively predictable jokes and resolutions to each mystery.

A few portions of the story rubbed me the wrong way. I was initially happy to see the inclusion of a trans characte
Devon
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This book isn't worth the beautiful man on the cover.

Once you get past the immediate boring hook up it seems promising. I was trying to keep an open mind, I loved the illustrations at the beginning of each case, and I was happy with the effort though Mr. Tantimedh the word you're looking for is transgender not the one that you used, but sub par writing won out over my desire to love a book written with Sendhil Ramamurthy in mind for the main character.

The main cast is forgettable, especially b
Maria
Ravi Chandra Singh was a religious scholar, a high school teacher and is now a private detective. He works for Golden Sentinels a high end detective agency in London, where the clients have large bank accounts to throw at their problems.

Why I started this book: Mentioned in publishing literature that I follow about audio books as a great new series that has already been optioned for British telly.

Why I finished it: The book strings together several cases and I can see how entertaining this will
Janet Newport
Thank you NetGalley!

Her Nightly Embrace is a hoot!

I really liked this book! It moves along at a good pace (can't stand it when it takes forever to find the plot) and the cast of quirky characters was great. I also appreciated their compassion and humanity.

I'm not going to rehash the book's blurb and future media presentations (if you're reading this far, I know you've already read all that). But I will tell you that I will be pre-ordering future books in the series.
Luanne Ollivier
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Her Nightly Embrace by Adi Tantimedh is the first in a planned trilogy - The Ravi PI books.

"Before we start, there's something you should know.
I see gods.
Usually in the corner of my eye. They just pop up from time to time, deities from the Hindu pantheon.
I never talk to them. I don't want to.
They never talk to me, just watch in silent judgement. Occasionally they tut-tut and tweet about me to one another on their phones.
I'm not mentally ill. Honest
Back when this started, I was switching from
Doreen
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I love the idea of this book. And when I started reading it, it was just as charming as advertised (and who doesn't need more Sendhil Ramamurthy in their lives?) The twists and turns are entertaining (with one very large exception that I'll get to in a minute) and Adi Tantimedh's inclusion of a diverse cast of characters lent for some great humor and set pieces. But towards the end of the book, it started to feel less like a novel and more like a screenplay. I kept having to envision actor ...more
Oaktrees
Aug 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: thriller
Well. That was a huge, huge disappointment.

Okay. Let's recap.

The premise of this book is simple and engaging: London-based PI sees gods, solves crimes. A quirky team of professionals and serious themes of social justice provide an entertaining backdrop.

That's the premise. The execution ... falls so short of that it just falls off.

The team of detectives surrounding Ravi is pleasantly diverse. That's its only appeal. Beyond that, they all become sorry clichés—the Asian genius, the stoner ex-cop,
Summer
CW: Sexual assault.

How does this book have so many positive reviews? I’m honestly flabbergasted. So let’s break it down, for the the author and folks in the back row:

1. This book was published in 2016. Playing a trans character for laughs, mystery, deceit, and clutching your pearls as you ask how a trans person could possibly have sex is not just passé, it’s ignorant and transphobic.

2. Women can rape men and when someone does it knowingly and repeatedly, they’re a rapist and a reprehensible pe
Tony
At first glance, this first in a projected trilogy hit a lot of buttons for me: a series set in London featuring a nontraditional detective Ravi (a former schoolteacher) who sometimes sees Hindu gods hanging around him, rat-a-tat pacing, etc... Sounded fun! And indeed, it delivers fun from the get-go, introducing Ravi as a newbie at a high-end investigations firm that handles the most delicate cases with the ultimate discretion.

The book opens with a locked-room mystery about a Tory politician be
Bella
Sep 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a big fan of diversity in entertainment. So when I received the promotional material for the new novel by Adi Tantimedh, I was intrigued. The main character of Her Nightly Embrace is Ravi Chandra Singh, a London-born Indian man, a failed religious scholar and former high school teacher turned private detective working at Golden Sentinels, an agency staffed with different characters from all over the globe. The book is only part of series in a major multimedia releas ...more
Helen Callahan
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"gods, they mainly stand there observing . . . though they wear modern clothes and they have mobile phones. I think they’re tweeting to each other about me"...Ravi Chandra Singh has changed professions, from a 'failed' religious scholar to a PI. The book discription hooked my interest. After reading Her Nightly Embrace, book 1 of Ravi PI series, I believe it's Spot-On!!! Read the entire discription, Then Read The Book!!! The cast of characters are zany, spastic and endearing. Asi Tantimedh takes ...more
« previous 1 3 next »
Kindle English My...: Anyone heard or read? 4 12 Sep 06, 2016 06:42AM

• The Book of Stolen Tales (Mesopotamian Trilogy, #2)
  • Harbinger of the Storm (Obsidian and Blood, #2)
  • A Dark Anatomy (Cragg & Fidelis Mystery, #1)
  • The Bone Keeper
  • Idle Ingredients (Sin du Jour, #4)
  • Last Seen After Midnight (Trese, #4)
  • Black Fall (Jessica Blackwood #3)
  • In Matto's Realm: A Sergeant Studer Mystery (Wachtmeister Studer #3)
  • The Warrior Queen (Guinevere, #1)
  • Criminal Zoo
  • Like to Die (Mac McKenzie, #15)
  • Dead Men's Money
  • Head Games
  • The Quarters Novels: Volume II (Omnibus: No Quarter / The Quartered Sea)
  • Mama, PhD: Women Write about Motherhood and Academic Life
  • The Squad Room: A Novel
  • Marseille Noir
  • Ice Shear (June Lyons, #1)

Ravi PI (3 books)
  • Her Beautiful Monster (Ravi PI #2)
  • Her Fugitive Heart (Ravi PI #3)