Start by marking “Worth It: Your Life, Your Money, Your Terms” as Want to Read:
Worth It: Your Life, Your Money, Your Terms

Worth It: Your Life, Your Money, Your Terms

From the founder and superstar CEO of DailyWorth.comthe go-to financial site for women with more than one million subscriberscomes a fresh book that redefines the relationship between women, self-worth, and money. Worth It shows women how to view money as a source of personal power and freedomand live life on their terms.

Millions of women want to create financial stability
Published February 7th 2017 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Worth It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worth It

Start your review of Worth It: Your Life, Your Money, Your Terms
Jen Turrell
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, favorites
This is, hands down, the best book for women on money that I have read yet, and I have read most of them. Amanda's down-to-earth style of talking to the reader as if we are a close friend with whom she openly shares all of her missteps and mistakes is at once endearing and refreshing. Her method of looking first at the big picture, net worth question, rather than focusing first on budgeting and income, feels like an intelligent woman talking to other intelligent women about the things we have ...more
Amy
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a tough book to review. Steinberg offers some really good, no-nonsense advice, and I found her style more accessible than many personal finance books. But like many books of its kind, this one is written with middle and upper-middle class people in mind. There is really no mention of unique situations for lower income people like increasing income inequality, stagnant wages for those at the bottom, the increasing costs of higher education, and the many obstacles working against low ...more
Christine Zibas
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing

"Money gives you choices. More income helps point you in the direction of safety and security. But true prosperity requires that women step into the role of the money manager without apprehension, guilt, fear, or shame. It's time. Owning your power, and money means owning your worth."

For many, money is power. That can make people, especially women, slightly uncomfortable. All too often women tend to focus on the minutia of money (budgeting, stretching it to go further, using it to meet
Maria Ryan
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shed the Shame, Drop the Blame, Play the Game

Merge the topics of women, self-worth, and money together and I am there. This alone is one of the main reasons I loved Steinbergs book Worth It. Just the fact that someone is writing and speaking out on this topic is huge. Steinberg is the founder and CEO dailyworth.com, an online financial site for women. I have been a member for about eight months greedily consuming the useful articles and tips so that I can better face my own money story.

Worth It
Rose
Quick review for a quick read. I think "Worth It" managed to check all the boxes of a financial planning guide that worked for me. It's a combination of a bio,graphy (with Amanda Steinberg talking about her own money story and how it was shaped from when her family was blindsided by multiple life events), financial planning guide, and inspirational/motivational story. It's no nonsense, and I appreciated the fact that Steinberg's rhetoric was easy to understand while being informative, honest, ...more
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
It seems I have a lot to learn! Learning that I am worthy of being paid depending on your experience and expertise. Learning how to save and invest is an important practice. And practice it is.

This books takes us through your relationship with money. Many women ignore finances allowing their husbands to deal with it or just juggling bills, paycheck to paycheck.

Amanda Steinburg stresses to us that is a big mistake and I think we all know that. She believes everyone needs to understand how to
Steph
I would call this book a "self-wealth" manual, and it was delightful.

Steinberg takes a refreshing look at the world of finances and encourages women of every wage, age, and spending history to take control of their financial lives now. With entertaining anecdotes from her own life to tips, tricks, and lists in each chapter to figure out the reader's money story, this book is both an entertaining read and super informative.

I'd recommend this book hands down to any gal looking to get better
Kate
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
OMG - so good.

Amanda explained very gently that I have essentially been in a money coma for most of my adult life. However it's never too late to wake up unpack your own money story, develop understanding and awareness of money.

This may well be my get out jail free card. I have attempted a number of money books but certain words and phrases have had me looking for the nearest bit of sand to dive my ostrich head in. Not this one she explains things in a way that for the first time ever I feel I
Donna
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked how this started with her own personal story, then she zeroed in on the differences women face in the working world, especially in the financial arena. I wasnt sure I was going to like this focus. But she caught my attention, because it felt like she was talking about me. I was guilty of so much of what she was saying regarding women and finances. So I was completely in after that.

In one breath she was admitting her mistakes, then in the next breath offering advice. That was good and bad
Rachel
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ - This is the best book on money, budgeting, and frankly real life knowledge I have ever read.

As an accountant, and the child of 2 tax CPAs, I have more general knowledge on this topic than the average person. I geek out on retirement and tax planning... I am not normal. But even I found this book VERY helpful.

I found the way the author laid out these topics easy to follow and also entertaining. I would recommend that every woman read this book, and frankly men as well.
Derek
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have read quite a few books in the genre of (what I call) 'celebrity financial experts.' I'd say that Worth It stacks up pretty well. There isn't anything groundbreaking in here but the advice is solid and the information is all factually accurate (something I questioned with Real Money Answers by Patrice Washington).

Main points from Worth It

1. Saving is a habit. You won't save money unless you build good saving habits. Having more money will not help you so stop waiting until you get that
Yanira
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I checked this out from my library, because I don't want to fear money. I want to understand it better. I want to learn from mistakes and be a better money manager. And this is a great introduction to finances, but some things irked me. The repetitiveness and the complete generalization about women's movement that does not include women of color. Every statistic ignores race and sexual orientation-real things that affect women and their money.
Kim
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a finance book, but it's not like most. So much of it is about our psychological approach to money, with some big picture money managements idea woven in. You don't need to be independently wealthy or planning for retirement to read this book. It's more inspiration than how-to, and as someone who doesn't own property, isn't close to retirement, and is equally as far from being broke and being wealthy, I felt like I got a lot out of it and it was totally worth the not even dry reading.
Dolly
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who want more control over their money and their life
I'm not entirely sure why I borrowed this audiobook from our local library OverDrive website. Every once in awhile, I enjoy reading books about money and finance in order to reinforce my thoughts about our own investments, budget, and financial plan. So I suppose I must have put this book on hold with that thought in mind.

It is a good book and is likely to help people, especially young women, focus on the foundations of personal finance and avoid the traps of our over-commercialized consumption
Arleta Blackley-Wiertelak
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-development
This is great book and personally I think a must read for women.

Its practical, probably more tailored towards USA market but the lessons are universal.

Mentiones savings, retirement, spending, spending types, money typing/personality etc.

The though love is the best part of it, its also the bit which empowers women and allows us to take finances in our hands.

If you have stryggled or wondered how to improve your money management, well this might be one of the books for you.
iniputi
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Never thought such a hard topics like this (for me) could be digested rather easily. Amanda is so inspiring, controlling her finance that leads to a better life. Yet, just spent some money on things i might not need >.<. Planning to do stuff and mindset i learned from the book. However this book mostly talk about the system in the us such as 401(k) and IRA. Need to look for more info for equal system in my own country. Regardless, it is such a fun and insightful reads!
Dan
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great read that gives great insights into repairing questionable relationships with money. Though it was written specifically for women, men would also benefit from reading it.
Missy
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the best book for women wanting to take control of their finances. She breaks it down to simple steps. Would love a followup!
Organized Alaina
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really loved this book! I would recommend any woman to pick it up
Thomas Jones
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Steinberg gives easy to understand explanations, relatable examples, and clear and actionable advice concerning personal finances and net worth.

I feel myself already thinking about my finances differently. I see now the unhelpful money stories I was telling myself that were preventing me from saving. No more money comas.

She advocates for a hard look at yourself, but somehow this ends up being inspiring rather than dispiriting.
Lilian
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is estimated that women currently control 50 percent or USD 14 trillion of personal wealth in the US and are expected to control USD 22 trillion by 2020.

Shocking? I  know.

But what is even more shocking is the way that women are not taking full advantage of this influential position to make an even greater global impact.

In light of this and other statistics, Amanda Steinberg was motivated to invest in women. We journey with her through her own life and her relationship with money.  Being a
Ursula
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a great resource for younger women concerned about money. I did think the author's suggestions were valuable and could be used by those just starting out and those of us that want to increase our savings without trying to stick to an impossible budget.
Jenna Ezis King
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've not finished reading it yet but I will say this: I wish I had read this when I was in my early twenties. Chock full of advice that my father told me but my twenty-self chose to ignore. The author also explains some financial concepts in ways that are easy to understand, and gives data and examples of how women are shortchanged (ha) when it comes to making financial decisions but shares us options how we can overcome, all in relatable ways. This is gold, and a book I will be handing out to ...more
Colona Public Library
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, ashley
Worth the read? meh. This is aimed toward women and does address some social expectations while talking about money. It's really does encourage women to not slip into a money coma (love this term, btw) and take charge of their finances. I think some points it was encouraging...although, I would look towards other books for further financial advise. ~Ashley
Sondra
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every woman should read this! I've been a fan of Steinberg's & Daily Worth for years. She does a great job of breaking down how important it is for women to stay engaged when it comes to how they spend money & growing wealth.
Beth Cleland
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Of all the books I've read on financial advise for women this is the best. The book is pragmatic and offers links and recommendations to other valuable resources. I feel fortunate to have stumbled unto it.
Alex Pal.
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, "Worth It" is not worth it.

This book is basic finance for women. I don't understand why for such a gender neutral topic as basic finance, there is a need for gender specific book. Moreover, the book had nothing new to say from many many other books of basic finance.
Bank
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting thoughts on women and money . Ties together family history , societal views and attitude towards money .
A bit loose with facts
Marta Long
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Exploratory Bookclub book- I honestly don't think I got anything out of this book. I much prefer Dave Ramsey when it comes to books about money.
Ann L.
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: this book is geared more towards women
Recommended to Ann by: Marie Forleo show
This book is especially great for women who have a hard time with saving/investing money so they have something for the future stored up for themselves. The book is mainly written with women in mind, but men can certainly learn from it as well.

The author shares her own story on how she bought her expensive McMansion home (she is a high income earner), how that failed for her because she wasn't living within her means and other reasons, and how she came to realize that renting was something she
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Worth It! Book Club with author 1 7 Jan 24, 2017 09:08AM
Worth It! Book Club! 1 3 Jan 24, 2017 08:58AM

• Positive Intelligence: Why Only 20% of Teams and Individuals Achieve Their True Potential and How You Can Achieve Yours
  • Refinery29 Money Diaries: Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know About Your Finances... And Everyone Else's
  • Broke Millennial Takes on Investing: A Beginner's Guide to Leveling Up Your Money
  • Get Money: Live the Life You Want, Not Just the Life You Can Afford
  • The Dumb Things Smart People Do with Their Money: Thirteen Ways to Right Your Financial Wrongs
  • Marriageology: The Art and Science of Staying Together
  • Quit Like a Millionaire: No Gimmicks, Luck, or Trust Fund Required
  • Body Full of Stars: Female Rage and My Passage into Motherhood
  • Jivamukti Yoga: Practices for Liberating Body and Soul
  • On My Own Two Feet: A Modern Girl's Guide to Personal Finance
  • Quit Like a Woman: The Radical Choice to Not Drink in a Culture Obsessed with Alcohol
  • Women & Money