Start by marking “Sinners (Monster Hunter Memoirs, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sinners (Monster Hunter Memoirs, #2)

Sinners (Monster Hunter Memoirs #2)

A NEW NOVEL IN THE MONSTER HUNTER MEMOIRSSERIES.TWO AUTHORS, WHOCOMBINED HAVEOVER FOUR MILLION BOOKS IN PRINT AND 10 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLERS,TEAM UP TO EXPAND LARRY CORREIA'S MONSTER HUNTER UNIVERSE!

NIGHTMARE IN THE BIG EASY

With New Orleans out of control, Chad Oliver Gardenier, one of Monster Hunter International’s premier hunters, has been dispatched from Seattle to
Published December 6th 2016 by Baen

Rob
Dec 26, 2016 Rob rated it liked it
I enjoyed this a lot more than the first in the series, though it's still not as good as the main MHI cannon. I wish I could give it 3.5 stars instead of 3.

The main improvement vs. the first MHI Memoirs book is that the plot is more cohesive vs. being a set of anecdotes from the monster hunter, and I much preferred this structure. The other improvement is that New Orleans as a location seemed to inspire the authors to more interesting plot developments.

As compared to the main body of MHI, the ac
Beanbag Love
Dec 13, 2016 Beanbag Love rated it liked it
I liked this one better than the first in the trilogy, "Grunge". I still don't like the main protagonist much. I just get the feeling I'm hearing John Ringo's voice being purposefully -- and needlessly, IMO -- provocative rather than just telling the story. But others may feel differently.

This set of memoirs found our hero in New Orleans where supernatural events are a way of life. Things are handled very differently in this town from what we've seen in other settings. It makes for some very ent
Ron
Dec 19, 2016 Ron rated it really liked it
Chad Gardenier had to leave Seattle due to his proclivities with the ladies. He managed to wrangle a transfer to New Orleans and joined Team Hoodoo in suppressing the ever-growing monster threat in the city. He barely managed to survive his first full moon in the Big Easy, but then bought a house, acquired a "gentleman" to watch over it and embraced the food and culture, if not the heat, the humidity, or the bugs. Chad found plenty of action, way too much action when Mardi Gras hit and the monst ...more
Scott
Dec 11, 2016 Scott rated it liked it
Ok, the MHI universe is so fun and interesting, that the Universe is 5 stars. The writing is mostly paint-by-numbers, and just 2 stars. Ringo just isn't very good. It's like he's studied writing really really hard, like it's a technical skill. And so he does it by rote, without much inspiration. He'd get a B+ in a college writing class. But Correia has created enough of a back story, and universe, that he can let Ringo crank out some Okay supplemental books. I did enjoy the ending, which wraps u ...more
Ian Cockerill
Nov 22, 2016 Ian Cockerill rated it really liked it
You know the story on this one - John Ringo allowed to play in Larry Correia's Monster Hunter universe. Now, Ringo can definitely write action as well as Correia (no mean feat). To be honest, however, he isn't as good at character and nuance, plus it must be hard to write when you aren't fully in charge of the background and so on.
He also tends to be more obviously didactically right wing than Correia, although I think he's turned that down a little in this second book in his own mini-MHI serie
Torr
Jan 02, 2017 Torr rated it it was ok
This installment of MHI:M didn't live up to it's predecessor or series as a whole. It very much felt like the middle act of a 3 act play, which if rumors are true this is a trilogy of stories following around Iron Hand, so this is the middle act which is fine.

My issue with it was that there was no actual story progression just non-stop action in the city of New Orleans. If all you want is non-stop action, you will totally enjoy this book.

I hope that the third book in this series gets back on tra
Keith Glass
Dec 08, 2016 Keith Glass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ringo and Correia do it again.......

Chad "Iron Hand" Gardenier is back. Chased out of Seattle by Redneck Elves, Our Hero joins Team Hoodoo, in New Orleans. Where things are a bit different, and all hell is breaking loose. The locals know about monsters. MCB is civil and supportive. And Magic is starting to work VERY well. Bonus feature: Ringo has redshirted quite a few people, and I recognize most of them.

But more importantly, things are going crazy in the Big Easy, and Chad is on the trail of f
Tao Player
Jan 06, 2017 Tao Player rated it liked it
I liked parts of this story quite a bit. The ending has no resolution, turn the page and suddenly its over which definitely leaves the reader hanging.
Although this may be hard to explain, I'll try. At times it seems like instead of just telling the story in character, like an actor mugging in front of the camera, there were way to many contrived silly puns. Does the authors cleverness get in the way of the story? I felt that was the case. I do know I was at times annoyed and at times entertaine
GaiusPrimus
Jan 09, 2017 GaiusPrimus rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-urban
Another entertaining entry on this series. I'm assuming since Larry's name is on it, this is Canon.

I worry that this supposed trilogy will end up being more than that. I don't know if the whole coming to heads with his mom and his brother all fits in one more volume.

It is nice to see the perspective of the MHI world from the other crews besides the happy face, and the fact that this takes place in New Orleans and all the peculiarities that this brings to the story is really interesting.

Will be
Pam Bales
Jan 08, 2017 Pam Bales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another interesting addition to the Monster Hunters International series by Larry Correia with this being the second one penned by John Ringo. I always enjoy a John Ringo tale and this is another compelling read. Chad has to leave the Northwest and gets to go to one of his least appreciate areas, the south, New Orleans to be exact. It's too hot, but there are monsters to be hunted and Chad is your man. There's more information about some of the favorite characters from the original series. Be su ...more
Dasugo
Jan 03, 2017 Dasugo rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of the Monster Hunters series and I have read a good number of Ringo books. I think I preferred Grunge to Sinners. Sinners read like a love story to New Orleans.

Which is cool and the action was ongoing with lots of call backs to the original series and what transpired. I did enjoy that.

I always enjoy when the Gnomes as well.

I was a good read but I wouldn't put it on top of the pille of Monster Hunter series that Corriea solo wrote.
Dstuffle
Dec 08, 2016 Dstuffle rated it it was amazing
A great follow up to Grunge. Chad AKA Iron hand has to leave Seattle (due to a gang of trailer park elves getting upset over underage - she was only 40, not 90 like she said - relations with their sister). He ends up in New Orleans, where things are going insane in the "unnatural forces" realm.

You have to read the part about the Gnomes vs Frog, it is hilarious (warning: do not be drinking anything when it starts).
David Beck
Dec 09, 2016 David Beck rated it it was amazing
Chad is relocated to MHI New Orleans which is dealing with a massive uptick in the monster business. Chad has the joy of learning his way around New Orleans while trying not to be killed by all the monsters. Lots of action and lots of loss amongst the MHI teams. I really enjoy Ringo's contribution to the MHI world.
Bj Moore
Dec 09, 2016 Bj Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bam

Another great book in the series. Sequel in the memoirs series. Definitely recommend reading grunge and then this one. Can be read separate of the other MHI books. But really you want to read those as well
Marat Beiner
A little better than the first memoirs book, but still I'll give it 3 stars.
I still love the MHI books, no matter who writes them, and Oliver Wyman a great narrator. Really one of the best I know. It's always a pleasure to listen to his narration.
Coz
Jan 02, 2017 Coz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad, but not as good as grunge

It's a fun book and I enjoyed it, but seems shorter than the last book and doesn't really have a satisfactory resolution at the end. I suppose they'll address that in the next book, but it makes this book just seem unfinished.
Jonathan Wilson
Dec 09, 2016 Jonathan Wilson rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

This was a very fast paced action story, but it felt a little choppy at times. Remember the first Monster Hunter Memoirs having more of an over arching story. Hope Iron Hand writes another memoir picking up where this one left off.
John R. Dailey Jr.
MHI IS AT IT AGAIN, THEY ARE...

Hello, these stories are just plain great. Who doesn't like monsters and weapons. Very entertaining and enjoyable to read. The only complaint I have is the frequency of new stories. We need more. Damn fine stuff. Thanks.
Thomas
Dec 26, 2016 Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding read!

Ringo nails the spirit of the Monster Hunter series while bringing his own distinctive flare and, as if it were possible, even more over the top action. A thoroughly enjoyable time.
John Amburgey
Jan 07, 2017 John Amburgey rated it it was amazing
This is another amazing book on the MHI world. It brings in some great characters and is written very well.
Mike
Jan 10, 2017 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome spinoff

Both authors are badass. The action never stops. If you like either of these two guys this is a must read!
Launce H
Jan 03, 2017 Launce H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ringo brings it home again.

I have loved the originals. As a retired soldier i have always clicked with Ringo's style though. Iron Hand is the soldier we had all hoped to be.
Erica
Dec 18, 2016 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great

Loved it! Can't wait for the next book, these memoirs are fun and entertaining to read much like the original series.
David
Jan 02, 2017 David rated it liked it
An ok following to the first part of this dork from the original MHI series.
These books are not as good as the original ones, but they are entertaining.
Josh
Dec 12, 2016 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good chapter

Had me laugh out loud in several spots. Can't wait for the next book to come out and see what happens to Chad
timothy dodd
Jan 15, 2017 timothy dodd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

Always love the monster hunter series of books. Ringo and Larry together just make it better. Thank you for this great book
Amy
Jan 08, 2017 Amy rated it it was ok
Good narration as usual but the story was disjointed. A disappointment since the rest of the series is so good.
Ryan D. Downie
Dec 19, 2016 Ryan D. Downie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Left me wanting more!

The main character is great. I highly recommend this book to all military sci-fi readers. Very good read. great action.
Frank
Dec 15, 2016 Frank rated it really liked it
I did not like this book quite as much as Grunge which proceeded it.

It has some middle book flaws but still Awesome.

Read this if you are into Zombies ect.
Nicholas Headley
Dec 10, 2016 Nicholas Headley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book

If you read any of John or Larry's books you will love this. John brings us great style into Larry's world and makes it truly entertaining.
Larry Correia is the New York Times bestselling author of the Monster Hunter International series, the Grimnoir Chronicles, and the thriller Dead Six.
More about Larry Correia...

Monster Hunter Memoirs (2 books)
  • Grunge (Monster Hunter Memoirs, #1)