Start by marking “1636: The Ottoman Onslaught” as Want to Read:
1636: The Ottoman Onslaught

1636: The Ottoman Onslaught

(Ring of Fire Main Line Novels #6)

Book #21in the multipleNew York Timesbest-selling Ring of Fire series. The uptimers and their allies take on the Ottoman Empire at its height of power.

The modern West Virginia town of Grantville has been displaced in time to continental Europe in 1632. Now four years have passed. The long-feared attack on Austria by the Ottoman Empire has begun. Armed with new weapons
Published January 3rd 2017 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about 1636, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1636

Start your review of 1636: The Ottoman Onslaught
Lexxi Kitty
I've always had one specific problem with this series - at least after the first two or three books - there are about a billion characters (give or take a million), and, while not all of them are in each book, enough of them are there presenting their own point of view that it gets super . . . . annoying to have one particular storyline start to get interesting, only to jump to twelve different POV's before getting back to that other one that was beginning to get interesting. Of course, by that ...more
C.T. Phipps
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I consider The Ring of Fire series by Eric Flint to be one of my guilty-pleasures. I find the whole premise, a bunch of plucky Americans changing the whole of 16th century life's ills from Antisemitism to Russian serfdom with the power of sheer determination, to be silly. I also think it's about as far from my usual preferences for dark morally ambiguous fantasy as you can.

Yet, goshdarnit, I can't put them down and pick up all of the main books as well as numerous side books. There's just
Daniel Shellenbarger
The Ottoman Onslaught marks a welcome return to the main thread of the story of time-space displaced Americans, picking up where 1636: The Saxon Uprising left off 6 years ago. We've certainly had plenty of side novels and short stories to tide us over in the interim but it's good to be back to the main story where big world-shaking events are free to happen without undermining the established canon, and Flint certainly isn't afraid to make waves as once again the map of Europe shifts under the ...more
Dan
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1632, 2018
Quite good, there were rather a few threads taking place in a few isolated areas, but Flint tied them together quite satisfactorily. 2018 re-read: I hope the wait isn't too long for the sequel good reading!
MAB  LongBeach
The ongoing Ring of Fire saga continues with the Ottoman invasion of Vienna, almost 50 years early. Uptimer history books show that the Ottomans were defeated when they invaded in 1683, so no one is worried. But Sultan Murad has a huge army and several new technologies that no one saw coming. And there are also wars and unrest going on in Poland, Saxony, Bavaria, and Bohemia.

By now there are a lot of continuing characters to carry various parts of the story. Flint handles them ably, both his
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid read

Keeping it simple. The book is a nice continuation of the various big strands in the ring verse. While the romance was a little forced. The fact that the antagonist in the piece is not dumb and not a stereotype, a plus in my book.
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, sf
Looks like the start of a new mini-arc, after reading some of the early ones for background, you can read this. Has a somewhat cliffhanger ending.
Debrac2014
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable! Gretchen, the Lady Protector of Lower Silesia! I wonder what Harry is up to!
Karl
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always want MORE, MORE, MORE. but since I waited to read this till the polish Maelstrom came out I'll get my wish. Great seeing main line Characters back in the fold. curious to see the prognostications of Mr. Flint. What's gonna happen who'd gonna die and will the whole collapse in on it's self. Doubtful the last one but I'd like to see the series reach out to ten years at least, to see the long term effects, and the short term affects. no spoilers, go read the book.
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, alt-history
Margaret
Eric Flint published 1632 in the year 2000. So I have been totally enjoying this alternate history series for the past 17 years!
There are many, many characters in this sprawling alternate history series. Some few of them are core canon characters, specifically the original gang featured in the first book. I had particularly enjoyed Mike & Rebecca's story in the first book. Many years seemed to go by and only occasionally would we see Mike or Rebecca in one of these books.
I had almost
Redsteve
Classic Ring of Fire: big battles, little battles, politics, intrigue and 20th/17th Century technology.

2nd Reading 2019 (needed to bring myself up to speed before starting 1637: The Polish Maelstrom). Despite the title, while war with the Ottoman Empire is the most important conflict involved, more than half of this novel is devoted to other issues: war in Bavaria against Duke Maximilian, war in Lower Silesia against mercenary General Holk (both of which are more-or-less "clean-ups" of earlier
William Bentrim
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
1636: The Ottoman Onslaught by Eric Flint

Perhaps jaded is my first reaction to this book. It has the feel of it's predecessors but not the excitement.

I really enjoyed the first books in this series but I have missed to many of the intervening books and consequentially I've lost touch with them.

If memory serves me, the premise was introduced in 1632 (book title not year) when a chunk of West Virginia was dropped in East Germany in 1632 (hence the title).

I will guess that my blasé reaction to
Michelle
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still madly in love with this series. Lots of great characters and interesting politics. (This is one of the main line novels).
Phyllis Griffiths
The Ottoman's Are Coming, The Ottoman's Are Coming! The rulers of Austria/Hungary know this, but since in the Grantville Universe timeline the invasion of the Ottomans were not successful, they are confident that the invasion will play out the same way in their here-and-now. But the Sultan Murad also reads the strange up time books with emphasis on the technical books he could get his hands on, and those silly Grantville people are very free with what should be their military secrets. His ...more
Martin
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, alt-history
This is a series that has fizzled, for me. I liked the promise of the original volume, an alternative history (silly though of course it is) without the absolute black and white viewpoint and delight in torture and costume that has turned Sterling's work into an unreadable fetish.

But Flint seems to have tried to turn it into a vast oeuvre chronicling the effect on the whole world of his group of Americans, to do which he's drafted in other authors to help. Without exception, none of the side
Shane
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alt-history
It's nice to see Eric Flint devote a little time to this project again. It is great that he has given so many authors the opportunity to contribute to this series but a touch from the masters hand was over due.

There have been several story lines building across the past few books; the war in Poland, Wallenstein in Bohemia, the troubles in Bavaria and confused relations with Austria. This book adds the backdrop of an impending invasion from the Ottomans and does a grand job of tying it all
Jules Bertaut
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you like this series, this book is more of it and if you don't... this book is still more of it.

I'm a bit iffy on the Ottomans being the major antagonists here. On the one hand, they were a major political force at the time and ignoring that would be weird. On the other hand, there is So Much Islamophobia going on these days and I'd worry about things feeding into it. I think in the end, where I come down is that the book is okay: the Ottomans aren't depicted as any worse than any of the
Allen McDonnell
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent addition to the series.

In this novel affairs in Europe come to a head as the Ottoman Empire, capably lead and using ideas from uptime books and advisors, attack Austria yet again with an eye towards conquest. I was having doubts when the Ottoman invasion stayed off stage for such a long portion of the novel. The battles and events of the first third of the novel are in the fashion of tying up loose ends f the earlier novels before diving headlong into the new subject matter,
Kay
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-pb-or-hc
We are back to the uptime characters of Stearns and company for much of this book, and I am still in awe of the way Flint takes his reader back and forth and up and down, interweaving story lines in such a way that everything makes sense.

This tale ends with a bit of a cliffhanger regarding some of our younger characters, and since the upcoming titles seem to emphasize other locations, the fates of those young adults won't be determined anytime soon.

As usual, the Ring of Fire series continues to
Susan Baranoff
I love Eric Flint! In this book of the long winding series, we are reconnected with much of the original cast of characters from Grantville and it is delightful! I started laughing out loud with Mike Sterns first wry cracks and hung on every word to the cliff-hanger conclusion.... Eric! Really? and so now I have had to order "1637 The Polish Maelstrom" (skipping over a few volumes) so I can find out what happens next! "The Barbies" are featured, new technology comes to the fore, the butterfly ...more
Nigel Brand
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable, interesting and fun

The 1633 series has beguiled me from the start. I've read all the books and most of the associated material. Unlike some of the others, this is a slightly blokey book, with lots of action, and some battles. The evil Holk meets a suitably nasty end, while Thorsten Engler, one of favourite characters, performs heroically again. It even has some romantic comedy. This book will appeal to a wide range of readers, having enough action to satisfy grognards and sufficient
Kathy
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really liked this book. There are far ranging plot lines all over the map. It really advances the main story line of the 1632 series. My main frustration with the book is that it ends on several cliff-hangers. That being said, love hanging out with the characters again. Eric knows how to create characters you want to spend time with. Thankfully, the next book is going to be published in April 2019, so hopefully my wait to see what happens next will end soon.
Bob
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The continuing story of Grantille and its citizens in the world of the 1600s. In this episode we are caught up in a war in Poland and an Ottoman invasion of Vienna. If you are familiar with the series, you will meet many old friends and some new ones as they strive to confront various threats. As always an enjoyable read. This is one of favorite series.
Karl Schaeffer
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Back to the Grantville universe. It's military SF with a twist. Modern sensibilities tempered by the 1600's. It's an ensemble with a bunch of intertwining ploy lines. The main story line is the Ottoman Empires move on Austria-Hungary and the siege of Vienna. It's a cliffhanger. Gotta wiat for thenext one.
Karen
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As usual with one of Eric Flint's books, this one was impossible to put down. Many things happening, but all in ways that meshed with the huge back story while still staying fresh. I highly recommend this series, the stories are legion and it has been a great place to meet new authors.
Jeff
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites so far in this very long series. Characters keep getting stronger and the scenarios continue to be very believable and keep with history while making the changes that the Americans bring
Wolfdreamer
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great continuation of the series. Keeps you entertained for most of the book. However, quite a few battle scenes (which in all honesty are my least favorite aspect of the series, and ones I skip over.) So, can't give it a perfect score because of that. So take my rating with a grain of salt.
Richard
I race through the series and now I'm waiting for the few remaining to go to audio.
I can't say why I am hooked, but I'm pretty sure it involves the characters.
Try a few and see what you think. Again, this series is for history buffs and fans of the What If? books.
Joe
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delicious.
The build-up to the Ottoman's has been perfect.
I’m glad the Prince is back. And most of his original crew. Rebecca and Jeff. Gretchen and Denise.
Big doings in the USE and big doings in Central Europe

• 1636: The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbleflotz
  • 1635: The Wars for the Rhine
  • 1636: The Barbie Consortium (Ring of Fire Book 18)
  • 1636: Seas of Fortune (Assiti Shards, #20)
  • Bartley's Man (Ring of Fire)
  • Essen Steel
  • 1635: Music and Murder (1632 Universe)
  • No Ship for Tranquebar (Ring of Fire Press Fiction)
  • The Danish Scheme
  • Essen Defiant (Ring of Fire)
  • Uncompromising Honor (Honor Harrington, #14)
  • A Call to Vengeance (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #3)
  • Joseph Hanauer (Ring of Fire Press Fiction)
  • Up-time Pride and Down-time Prejudice (Ring of Fire #7)
  • Second Chance Bird (Ring of Fire Press Fiction)
  • Shadow of Victory (Honorverse: Saganami Island, #4)
  • We Few (Empire of Man, #4)
  • Though Hell Should Bar the Way (Lt. Leary, #12)
Eric Flint is a New York Times bestselling American author, editor, and e-publisher. The majority of his main works are alternate history science fiction, but he also writes humorous fantasy adventures.

Ring of Fire Main Line Novels (7 books)
  • 1632
  • 1633
  • 1634 The Baltic War
  • 1635: The Eastern Front
  • 1636: The Saxon Uprising
  • 1637: The Polish Maelstrom
“Bad parent! Bad Parent! Your children will grow up to be drug addicts, derelicts, serial murderers and hedge fund managers!” 1 likes