Start by marking “Children of Eden (Children of Eden, #1)” as Want to Read:
Children of Eden (Children of Eden, #1)

Children of Eden

(Children of Eden #1)

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  7,763 ratings  ·  1,072 reviews
What would you do to survive if your very existence were illegal?

Rowan is a second child in a world where population control measures make her an outlaw, marked for death. She can never go to school, make friends, or get the eye implants that will mark her as a true member of Eden. Her kaleidoscope eyes will give her away to the ruthless Center government.

Outside of Eden,
Published October 4th 2016 by Atria/Keywords Press (first published October 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Children of Eden, please sign up.
jaeyoung The only "strong" language I've seen throughout the book was "damn", and it was only used once. The word "bikk!" was also used, which I'm assuming is …moreThe only "strong" language I've seen throughout the book was "damn", and it was only used once. The word "bikk!" was also used, which I'm assuming is a swear word used in that society - but I have not idea what it means so I don't think that's to worry about.

As far as sexuality, the main character seems to be a bisexual teenager, but she doesn't openly admit it - nor does it seem like it bothers her throughout the book. The only sexual content in this book are some kisses and maybe a hug - nothing too graphic and Fifty-Shades-Of-Grey-worthy!

RoseK.(less)
Haylee Bowen It would be science fiction. It is based on the future and has futuristic parts to it.

·  7,763 ratings  ·  1,072 reviews

Start your review of Children of Eden (Children of Eden, #1)
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Warning: this review is going to be very nerdy. Read at your own risk.

I am the shameful second child who never should have come into this world at all. —Rowan

photo IMG_20161128_162027_zpsij7qx8ax.jpg

It's an undeniable truth that dystopian novels have lost their popularity nowadays. The age of The Hunger Games has been over for quite a while now. I myself have been consuming a lot of fantasy and contemporary books, which tend to be more refreshing than their dystopian peers. With that in mind, Children of Eden might just rekindle th
Violetta
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Oh boy. Where do I start?

First, I was bored out of my mind the entire time I read this. It took me well around four hours to get through the 300 page tome. And I swear, there was a point where I closed the book and just sat there staring out into the void. I'm trying to understand my own dislike. What are my grievances? Why am I being so negative?

Well, first, I don't like the writing. I just don't. The fake curse words peppered in throughout were just distracting and took away from the gravity o
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars!

I wasn't familiar with the author in any capacity, either as an author of his biography last year or a “YouTube sensation” instead, I picked this up based on the intriguing synopsis and the allure of the cover.

And while I wouldn't say this was a completely original story line, it did have some originality and it was a very entertaining one that had small twists and turns throughout the story that kept me on my toes and turning the pages.

Set in a dystopian world that was every bit as
Jeff
Jan 14, 2018 marked it as to-read
Has anyone read this??
The author is an amazing YouTuber so yah, definitely interested XD
Kassidy
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
*3.5*

I enjoyed the characters, but the world and plot were a little strange, especially toward the end.
Taylor Knight
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I received an unsolicited copy of this book from the publisher. This does not affect my opinion of this book in any way.

I'm not very familiar with Joey Graceffa other than I know he's a Youtuber. I haven't found a fictional book written a Youtuber, celebrity, or athlete that I was impressed by so I didn't have very high hopes for Children of Eden.
This book isn't bad by any means but it was exactly what I was expecting. It was okay. It was a nice book but not all that remarkable, in my opinion.
Suzanne
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fascinating story. The idea of second children being illegal to have made for an interesting story. I know China had a one-child policy (with some exceptions) for a couple decades for population planning, but the idea still seems dystopia like so Graceffa adding the plot of the living things on Earth having been destroyed a couple hundred years ago really made for an fascinating reading experience. I really enjoyed this book a lot more than I expected.
Whitney Milam
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
GET EXCITED FOR THIS!! Joey’s expansive imagination is put to full use in this novel, which is full of such interesting ideas, important themes, and compelling characters that I can’t wait for the rest of the world to fall in love with.
Jessica
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, series, bard, audio
To me this book was a lot like the divergent series. There could have done a lot of different things to makes this it's own. Though I feel its way to much a like. I'm not sure which book came out first though..
Silke
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
I f*cking get it!! Eyes are special! Why the hell does every book feel the need to tell me that?!
(for the actual book review skip the next 2 paragraphs)

I heard that this Youtuber wrote a dystopian YA novel and that's my favorite genre, so guess what! I decided to check him out before picking up the book. From the first ten minutes of looking at his social media accounts and especially his Youtube channel I concluded that he is obsessed with 3 things: iridescent things, crystals and eyes.

After t
Dejanira Dawn
Sep 11, 2016 marked it as own-not-read
I don't understand why people think Youtubers can't write books.

Being a fan of Joey's since I first started watching youtube, I can honestly say I'm excited for this book! It seems really interesting! Most youtubers write about themselves, only a few haven't and I really enjoyed those ones so far.
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog!
I used to watch Joey, from when he had 100k subscribers, but now I hardly even watch YouTube. I had seen Children of Eden the video he posted, and the synopsis sounded interesting enough that I eventually picked it up. There are two things that should be noted about this book before picking it up. The first being that it isn’t written solely by Joey. I know there is no indication on the cover, it clearly states on the title page that it was written with Laura L. Sullivan.
Evaguelis
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 I have some serious eye envy stars! MY VIDEO REVIEW AND BOOK TALK CAN BE FOUND HERE

Now, now, let me be clear and upfront. I know who Joey Graceffa is. HOWEVER, I did not let that influence me either positively or negatively as I read this book. I tried to remain as neutral as possible. Are my keyword warriors appeased? Ok, moving on!

description

This book is set in the dystopian world of Eden where people live in different circles based on their social standing while they wait for the world to heal it
Montzalee Wittmann
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think it was a good ya book, a dystopian novel
Although I don't like those kind I wanted to see what this book was about since it was making waves
Rtc
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
*Disclaimer!!!* This will not be a popular review/rant, so keep scrolling if you loved it

I was really looking forward to this book when it first came out. So I finally got my hands on a copy of it this month hoping it would be as good as it sounded. But ya know what?? You just can't listen to hype, or trust synopses anymore. You just CAN'T. I was just SO friggin' disappointed with this book!!! I had to actually make a DNF shelf for the first DNF book I've had in like forever! I persisted through
Elizabeth
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I really enjoyed the premise of this book. The characters develop in interesting ways, and if I'm not mistaken, I think the main character might be bi? I'm not against this storyline, I actually like how it emphasizes that she hasn't been shaped by society since she was kept away from it for so long. But I might be reading too much into that part. Either way, I can't wait to read the next in the series.
James Joyce
First, I read this because my niece asked me to. She wanted to get my feeling about the book. Okay. Luckily, she wasn't ecstatic about the book, herself. And I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of a lot of things that are standard, in YA writing. So take my comments as you will.

Second, the only (minor) spoiler is hidden in a "spoiler" link. And it only spoils something from the first bit of the book.

Graceffa has potential. I say that because I didn't just give up on the book, even though it was co
Brad
Dec 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Children of Eden by Joey Graceffa is another YA dystopian story. Rowan is a 2nd child and not allowed in Eden. Her parents have hidden her for all of her 16 years. Now they have a plan to insert her into society but someone betrays them. Now Rowan is on the run discovers some of Eden's secrets.
If you saw Aeon Flux, then you know the setup for this book. Humans live behind a wall until the Earth heals. There is little originality in the story. To me it read like a middle school English project.
Dove
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HOLYYYYYYY. MAN I'VE READ A LOT OF DYSTOPIC NOVELS IN MY LIFETIME (THROWBACK TO MY MIDDLE SCHOOL OBSESSION WITH DYSTOPIA) AND THIS BOOK IS NOTHING LIKE ANY OF THOSE BOOKS I'VE READ BEFORE. SURE, IT HAS THE SAME CONCEPTS OF A TYPICAL DYSTOPIC NOVEL, BUT IT WAS SOMETHING NEW- SOMETHING EXTRAORDINARY. IT WAS TRULY OUT OF THIS WORLD. I could not stop thinking about this book, nor could I put it down. I just wanted to keep reading. It was intense, man. Like what even. It was so cool, such a unique id ...more
Murf the Surf
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rowans adventure in the Eden

How would you describe this eden if you'd lived there? Its a bit small, but large enough for Rowan to remain undetected as a second child in a futuristic utopian world. I'd followed her on her escape to meet Lochlan, another second child man who has some pretty cool altruistic and atavistic traits of loyalty and nobleness. The two soon bond and go on some pretty amazing adventures, like rescuing her brother Ash.
Outside of Eden, Earth is poisoned and dead. All animals
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
When every human must be accounted for, and everything is kept track of, a second child is a danger. Not only to their family, but to the delicate system that has been put in place to protect humanity. Second children are a burden on a system that is already working towards population reduction to survive long enough. Well, supposedly. Possibly. Maybe. But the more Rowan – a second child – learns about the world outside her family home, the more confused she gets.

Children of Eden could be a trop
Camille Dent
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
**3.5

First of all, this book is not particularly well-written. It's pretty informal prose with lots of questions along the lines of "Who is this guy? I think I've seen him before. Could it mean something that we keep running into each other? Can I trust him?" and made up cuss words with no explanation or hints to indicate whether they speak a new language completely in this dystopian society or if cuss words are the only part of vernacular speech that have changed for some reason. Just like ever
Cheryl
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting YA Sci-fi book set in a dystopian future on Earth after the Ecofail (when the Earth died, which might be more fact than fiction before long). We follow the protagonist Rowan a teenager confined to living in secret while her family go about their business as usual and hide her from the outside world. Soon however her whole world will change but is it for the better?

The concept of Eden, the new land where humans live controlled by AI is really interesting and well done altho
Grace
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Before you attack me, let me disclaim:

All thoughts are honest about the bookish content and they are not direct to the author as a person (I feel like I need to write this because this is a book from a well-loved youtuber)

LET'S REVIEW:

So, Children of Eden is Joey Graceffa's first ever published work that is fiction. I did my research to find he also wrote another work of fiction online, so he does have some experience in writing and you can really tell he loves to share stories.

At first, I was s
Jenna Carey
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Children of Eden was fast paced, had beautiful character development in not only major characters, but minor characters as well, and it was so beautifully written in a manner that I have never seen in teen fiction before. Overall, I hate most of the themes Graceffa tried to convey (very anti-government and anti-Christian) but I’m very pleased with the plot and the character development in the novel, which is ultimately what I look for in a good novel. Definitely would recommend, but would cautio ...more
Abby
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: would-read-again
This book had a lot of inherent problems. Most YA dystopians do, to be honest. But some of the things in this one were avoidable. Like how Rowan attaches to every person she meets like a leech. Add to that the most unrealistic love triangle I've ever seen. Problems aside, the story still kept my interest and was fairly enjoyable.
Katie
4.5/5 stars.
The ending has me second guessing everything but oh my god I loved my experience reading this. All the characters are kind of unreliable at times and I'm very excited to carry on with this series and figure out what is going on.
Amber
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
so this is definitely not a standalone and despite it's abrupt ending, I'm looking forward to book two
Jessica Strider
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, sf, ya
Pros: engaging story, feisty protagonist

Cons: fairly predictable, created swear words are more distracting than useful

For Parents: non-graphic gun and knife violence, torture scenes, some kissing, fake swearing

Eden is a closed world created when humanity was on the brink of destruction to save at least a few people until the ruined world was again fit for habitation. Rowan is a second child, illegal in Eden. Hidden by her family, she’s finally going to get a new identity and eye implants that wi
Cari
Mar 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dystopian
Children of Eden is another YA dystopian story but I gave it a chance because of all of the rave reviews. I should have looked more closely at them and factored in the fact that they are mostly written by teenage YouTube fans. This book is a wanna-be. There is nothing original about the story, characters or setting. And much of it feels as if it was written by a teenager with amateurish development and descriptions. Rowan is all over the place and her character makes no sense. She’s been shelter ...more

• Elites of Eden: A Novel
  • Selp-Helf
  • Laiškai iš Kabulo
  • Baltaragio malūnas
  • Dreambender
  • The Keep of Ages (The Vault of Dreamers, #3)
  • Yellow (The Yellow Series Book 1)
  • Green (The Yellow Series #3)
  • How To Teach: English: Novels, non-fiction and their artful navigation
  • Education Exposed: Leading a school in a time of uncertainty
  • Bumped (Bumped, #1)
  • Username: Evie (Username, #1)
Joey Graceffa is one of the fastest-growing personalities on YouTube. A popular brand ambassador, he has partnered with Topshop, Audible, eBay, and H&R Block. In 2013, between his daily vlogs and gameplay videos, Joey produced and starred in his own Kickstarter–funded supernatural series, “Storytellers,” for which he won a Streamy Award. He also starred in The Amazing Race on CBS and returned in 2 ...more

Children of Eden (3 books)
  • Elites of Eden (Children of Eden, #2)
  • Rebels of Eden (Children of Eden, #3)