Start by marking “The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Hangover” as Want to Read:
The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Hangover

The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Hangover

The international publishing phenomenon and ridiculously funny new parody series that helps grown-ups learn about the world around them using large clear type, simple and easy-to-grasp words, frequent repetition, and thoughtful matching of text with pictures.

Have you been having trouble with the How, Why, and Wheres? Well fear no more. The Fireside Grown-Up Guide series un
Published October 11th 2016 by Atria Books (first published October 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Hangover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Hangover

James
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best and the funniest of the 'Ladybird Books for Grown-Ups' series - definitely worth a quick read.

Contemporary humour with an affectionate and nostalgic nod to the original Ladybird books and their illustrators.
Kaya Dimitrova
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Ревю => http://justonebooklover.blogspot.bg/2...
~ ~ ~
Завърших комичното преживяване с прочитането на "Махмурлукът", чиято цел далеч не беше да откаже читателя от шампанското, изпито предходната вечер, примесено с бира и текила, но пък обясняваше последствията от изпитото количество алкохол, последвалите засрамващи моменти, както и успешни (и недотам успешни) методи за справяне с този голям враг - махмурлука.
Deanne
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Lots of fun but favourite page is the cat, makes me snigger every time.
Felipe
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good!
Kaethe Douglas
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: format-ebooks
Free for Kindle today.

Not only did I grow up surrounded by books of this ilk, I still have a few. This might not be so funny if you didn't read in this style as a child, but I enjoyed a wry chuckle. The art is magnificent. There are several pictures that killed me, the cover is one. Some of the art, framed, would be awesome in the library next to my childhood Nancy Drews, or arranged above the drinks cabinet.*

*These are a purely theoretical library and drinks cabinet. Currently the shelves are
Vivek Tejuja
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ladybird books have done it again! I remember talking about their book on dating and this time I finished the book on the hangover. Once again it is in your face, cheeky and downright hilarious. It is also about the Hangover – your very own fifty-six page guide on what causes a hangover and how to get rid of it.

“The Ladybird Book of the Hangover” is in the same vein of the other Ladybird books for Grown-Ups. I know the books are short and may not even count as books in the proper sense of the w
Ije the Devourer of Books
This is great fun.

A humorous look at the hangover, with Ladybird style text and pictures.

It is of course another funny book in the Ladybird for adult series.

This book is funny because of the way it takes something we all recognise as adults and then accompanies it with pictures from our childhood stories. It then tells the story of the hangover in a way that is greatly amusing.

I think all the Ladybird books for adults are well worth reading and entertaining. They also make really great gifts, b
Rose English
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults looking for a fun read
These are amazing fun reads for Grown - Ups using the original images from the very early ladybird books just adapting them for Adults. This one obviously featuring overindulgence something we often tend to do at this time of the year.

Great little stocking fillers or fun pressies for an adult birthday. The books will rekindle old memories but with a renewed vigor.

Check them out, more being add later in the year.
Kaethe Douglas
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: format-ebooks
The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Hangover - Jason Hazeley   Free for Kindle today.

*These are a purely t
Chris
I've heard of these books and when one was offered for free on kindle, I snagged it.

This is brillant. If you have read Ladybird books, you need to read this. If you have a cat, you need to read this.

Just read it.
Kirsty
Sep 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: september-2016
I've always wanted to read one of these Ladybird Book parodies, but came away feeling a tad disappointed with The Grown-Up Guide to the Hangover. Whilst the illustrations were enjoyable, I felt that more could have been made of the text. A lot of it was very culturally specific to the US in terms of product placement and the like, and whilst I had no problem whatsoever with this, I felt that the humour was largely aimed at Americans too. I would have liked more sarcasm. Just saying.
Hilary
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was quite funny, better than the others that I have read in this series so far. Enjoyed looking at the illustrations from original childrens ladybird books but a bit suprised at the page depicting naked men, women and children, can't think where that could have come from !
Peter
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: ladybird
See review for The Ladybird Book of the Hipster...

You really should check this out.
Matt
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny
A perfect read early on the 1st of January.
Alex Sarll
It's all horribly true.
Melanie
Today is my birthday and as requested I received more of the Ladybird books for adults. The Hangover was on my list to add to my collection and I was looking forward to some giggles.

These books cannot be taken seriously. They are funny, witty and amusing. Some pages will have you rolling your eyes, some laughing out loud. The mixture of old style pictures (like used in the original Ladybird books) and humorous text makes for a fun read. You can read these easily in 10 minutes and I find they mak
Tundextra
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
I know it's easy to say, but I just feel that this could have been a lot more funnier, darker and more explicit. It feels like it was written in the 1960s. I'd be looking for references to WiFi, WiFi passwords, social media, drones. Alexa etc. It would be very funny if this was the 1960s but that was nearly 60 years ago. 5 out of 12.
Hobo
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very funny. Almost feel that lived all pages in this book at some point.
Ashley
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A delight at any time, but a godsend during a hangover. This book lifts my spirits. So, so, so funny.
Wendi
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, humor, fiction, netgalley
Back in July, I wrote a review on a book I found in England called The Ladybird Book of the Mid-Life Crisis. Ladybird Books is a (very) longstanding publisher in the UK and have a huge back catalog of images from their 150 years of publishing mostly children's books. They've recently taken many of those images an paired them up with clever text to offer a series that "understands that the world is just as confusing to a forty-year-old as it is to a four-year old. We're here to break down the mos ...more
Clare
Another Ladybird gem with the original artwork. There were a couple of funny jokes but I preferred The Mum and The Wife.

Also there was a joke on page 28 about the morning after a wedding. The accompanying picture were a load of naked men, woman and children. I can't think what story this illustration accompanied.
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Perfect length for a cuppa.

These books are short and snarky and I love the humour. They're perfect for gifts, a little something to make you chuckle.

This one is probably my favourite.

I received a copy of this for free via NetGalley for review purposes.
Ken
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are fun enjoyable reads.

Entertaining stock-fillers, though Id image most readers would have forgotten the jokes by January!
Touchstone Books
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Where might there be bacon?" is now a common phrase heard around the office.
Kirsty
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

This is a fun take on the old ladybird classics, using vintage images and adding grownup ideas and themes. This particular edition focuses on hangovers and gives, at times quite sarcastic and humorous advice.

I expected to enjoy this edition more than I did. This is the third Fireside Grownup book I have now read, and I'm sad to say that it's the one I enjoyed the least, yet it was the one I was expecti
Den
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Another Ladybird adult book. This time the focus is on Hangovers and most of the pages are spot on. Whoever sits and writes these has a lot of fun.
As with other books in this series I loved trying to identify where the original pictures were from - so was reminiscing about my childhood and the stories I loved as I looked at them.
Elvira
Mar 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not that funny
Jane
Dec 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh dear I think this book is based on me & my friends
Manca
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious
Dane Cobain
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the parody series of Ladybird books for adults, and I read it while hungover. How apt.

• Christopher and Columbus
  • Police Your Planet
  • Fuddles
  • Amandine
  • The Perpetual Motion Club
  • Jacks and Queens at the Green Mill (The Shadow Society #0.5)
  • Swashbuckling Fantasy
  • Earthquake Weather
  • The Wonder
  • Old Friends
  • Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013 Edition
  • Let Me Finish
  • A Wish After Midnight
  • Other Powers: The Age of Suffrage, Spiritualism, and the Scandalous Victoria Woodhull