Start by marking “The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Husband” as Want to Read:
The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Husband

The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Husband

The international publishing phenomenon and ridiculously funny new parody series that helps grown-ups learn about the world around them using large clear type, simple and easy-to-grasp words, frequent repetition, and thoughtful matching of text with pictures.

Have you been having trouble with the How, Why, and Wheres? Well fear no more. The Fireside Grown-Up Guide series un
Published October 11th 2016 by Atria Books (first published October 29th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Husband, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Husband

Cecily
Like most Brits of my age, Ladybird books were a staple of my childhood, and I still have many at home: inexpensive, varied subjects (fiction, history, science, general knowledge), different reading levels, hard covered, and conveniently small.

Another reason for their success and enduring popularity is the distinctive font and style of illustration.

The authors would like to thank the illustrators whose work they have so mercilessly ribbed, and whose glorious craftsmanship was the set-dressing
Temi Panayotova
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Разтоварващо и много забавно! Напълно различна от която и да е малка книжка - но е пълна с истини!
Ije the Devourer of Books
I have read quite a few of the books in this series and each one is very entertaining in a kind of satirical way.

Drawing on the favourite books from our childhood, this series takes different topics and 'tells the story' for adults.

All I can say about each one is that they are really funny in an irreverent but not rude way. The way the series uses pictures from our childhood stories and then turns them on the head to illustrate an adult theme is just highly amusing.

I want to read the entire s
Kaya Dimitrova
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Ревю => http://justonebooklover.blogspot.bg/2...
~ ~ ~
Последва "Съпругът: Наръчник за употреба", чието четене споделих с майка си. Напълно очаквано, доста се забавлявахме с ФАКТИТЕ, упоменати в тази книга. Например: знаехте ли, че "съпругът чува цели 30% от онова, което му се казва"? Е, с този факт мама беше готова да поспори...
Elaine
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Have you seen these Ladybird books for adults? They are hilarious. Probably don't really qualify as reading as they take about five minutes to read but they are quirky and funny and a nice little escape from more intense reading. I want to read all of them now.
Neil
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
My wife's idea of a funny present. Entertaining.

Here's my favourite page:

"Husbands like to meet with friends for a chat.

This husband has been talking to his friends for five and half hours about which Doctor Who would win in a game of hide-and-seek.

He has forgotten to ask whether his friends' wives and children are still living with them, or even alive.

PS She did buy me a few other things, too!
Hilary
A good 5 minute read. Three and a half stars, mildly amusing retro husband stereotypes. Some still ring true. I liked Adrian who has to arrange things in order, they may be harder to find but atleast they are logical. Lovely original ladybird illustrations.
Cat
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Enne seda raamatut arvasin ma, et mehed on müstilised olendid, keda on väga raske mõista. See raamat aga avas mu silmad.

"See on mees. Mees võib tunduda keeruline, aga tegelikult on ta väga lihtne. Mees töötab vorstide ja õlle peal."
Teodora
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was both nostalgic and fun to go back to the Ladybird books. I had such a fun time reading it. And the best of all was the last page, it made me laugh with tears.
Moushumi Ghosh
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What hilarity this is! I came across this in the British Council library having previously only heard of them and it left me in splits! The juxtaposition of vintage illustrations and modern text produces such a marvel of publishing. Love it! Now I am looking forward to others in the series.
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's my Mum & Dad's wedding anniversary on Sunday and what do you get for a couple that have been together for 34 years? Something silly of course so the Husband and Wife versions of the Ladybirds for Grown Ups How it Works series seemed like the perfect option!

Do you remember those old Ladybird books you used to read as a child? I have fond memories of fiction titles like Mick the Disobedient Puppy, The Discontented Pony and who could forget books like Tasseltip and the Boozle but there wer
Joan
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best thing about this book, and the others in the series, is that the illustrations are taken from original Ladybird reading books.

The 'reading matter' is typically British 'dry' humour with some wonderfully perceptive writing about the everyday life of 'The Husband'

Not cheap, but worth it, even if its just to remember those fabulous illustrations.
John Frankham
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous-fiction
Very funny little book, nostalgic send-up of Ladybird books. All the illustrations are from original Ladybird books , many from decades ago, and this adds to the humour.

Luna
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-authors
I bought this as a birthday present for someone and she loved it. (I did also get to read it).

The book is short but highly amusing.
I think it’s very much a present book and works if you have that kind of sense of humour.
Alex Sarll
An invaluable guide to my new responsibilities.
Daisy Madder
Pre-wedding preparation
Wayne McCoy
Oct 19, 2016 rated it liked it
'The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Husband' by Jason Hazeley and Joel Morris is part of the Ladybird Books for Grown-Ups series. They are all quick reads and I've now read three of them.

This book is about the husband. We are told the husband is not complicated and that he runs on sausages and beer. When he and his wife go out, she has a lot of outfits, but he only has his one favorite suit, which hasn't fit in years.

These are just a few of the facts you will learn. They are simple and written b
Jasmine
Very cynical, this is half funny-funny, and half distressing-funny. Good for reading aloud in a circular-breathing drone to small people to lure them to sleep.
Christian West
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing short story about husbands.
Jessica Gillies
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Quite funny, but the innuendo was too much for me.
Wendi
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, fiction, humor, netgalley
Back in July, I wrote a review on a book I found in England called The Ladybird Book of the Mid-Life Crisis. Ladybird Books is a (very) longstanding publisher in the UK and have a huge back catalog of images from their 150 years of publishing mostly children's books. They've recently taken many of those images an paired them up with clever text to offer a series that "understands that the world is just as confusing to a forty-year-old as it is to a four-year old. We're here to break down the mos ...more
Karl Orbell
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My third Ladybird book for Grown-ups of the day, very good it was too!

I'm fairly certain this book is intended for people who have a husband. I do not have a husband. However, I know people who do have husbands and it was hilarious all the same.

An example funny:

The husband likes to do simple repairs, like changing the washer on a tap.

Afterwards he likes to talk at great length about what a struggle it was, and will want to be treated as if he has invented a machine that turns farts into gold.

Hilary
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I was hooked from the opening lines: "This is a husband. He may look complicated, but he is in fact very simple. He runs on sausages and beer."

Ironic statements combined with the retro illustrations create spreads that are almost like the winning entry from a humorous caption contest, but there's no mistake - these little nostalgic parodies are definitely for adults.

Disclaimer: I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for honest review.
Tim Newell
Light touch to pour fun on the ridiculous figure of the husband, given to me by my wife on our anniversary! I had a few laughs which were well received, at least I could see the truth in some of the quips showing how selfish we can be sometimes!
Look forward to reading about The Wife!
Ken
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun observation look at how men operate. I was laughing and nodding along on numerous occasions.
Harris
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk, humor
So, last spring I got married! Among the wedding gifts my wife and I received from friends and family were this book, How it Works: The Husband, along with its mate, How it Works: The Wife, from some friends who took a recent trip across the pond. We ended up reading them aloud in front of my mother-in-law. Fun times!

Silly little reads, they are definitely funny in a droll, dry, very British way, reminding me a bit of the humor of series like Look Around You. The Ladybird Book for Adults serie
Maggie Gordon
Aug 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
The Husband is another book in the seemingly endless Ladybird series that my partner keeps finding at used bookstores. Like the rest, this makes wry comments about being a husband in the modern age, set against retro style illustrations. Good for a brief laugh.
Zach
Oct 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
These books are shit books. Not because they are shit, but because you read them whilst you take a shit.
David Highton
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny indeed. My wife enjoyed pointing out particularly relevant pages.
Evelyne
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little gem, made me at times laugh out loud 😂

• Yes, I'm Hot in This: The Hilarious Truth about Life in a Hijab
  • Oh, the Places You'll Eff Up: A Parody for Your Twenties
  • Hand Drawn Jokes for Smart Attractive People
  • Something Fishy
  • A Cat's Life
  • Felines of New York: A Glimpse Into the Lives of New York's Feline Inhabitants
  • Goodbye Soldier  (War Memoirs, #6)
  • Cat vs Human: Another Dose of Catnip
  • Going Off Alarming: The Autobiography: Vol 2
  • Kids Are Weird: And Other Observations from Parenthood
  • We Go to the Gallery
  • Private Eye The First 50 Years
  • Mom Con
  • A Charm of Goldfinches and Other Collective Nouns
  • 1,234 QI Facts to Leave You Speechless
  • High-Status Characters: How The Upright Citizens Brigade Stormed A City, Started A Scene, And Changed Comedy Forever
  • Bad Little Children's Books: KidLit Parodies, Shameless Spoofs, and Offensively Tweaked Covers
  • The Camelot Papers