Start by marking “The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Mom” as Want to Read:
The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Mom

The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Mom

The international publishing phenomenon and ridiculously funny new parody series that helps grown-ups learn about the world around them using large clear type, simple and easy-to-grasp words, frequent repetition, and thoughtful matching of text with pictures.

Have you been having trouble with the How, Why, and Wheres? Well fear no more. The Fireside Grown-Up Guide series un
Published October 11th 2016 by Atria Books (first published February 11th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Mom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Mom

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews

Not quite as amusing as I assumed it would be, but still relatable to most exhausted Mums.
Kristina
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my God!!! This was absolutely hilarious! I was laughing out loud the whole time :D

p.s Saw my mom in so many of these cartoons and explanations :D
Negin
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Yet another hilarious Ladybird book – a few pages had me crying from laughter.
Kasa Cotugno
Should be read by anyone who has a child, has ever had a child, or ever was a child.
Natalie
This is pretty damn funny.
It wouldn't be nearly as funny if I wasn't a mom. But I am so HA. HAHA. HAHAHA.

This is packed with "Whew! I'm not alone" moments. The illustrations are amazing and worth taking the time to admire. It's a quick read that I'll pick up more than once. What's not to love?

It's hard to pick a favorite, but here is one of the many that really rang true:

Louise's Natalie's cup of coffee is going cold.

There are six other cold cups of coffee on surfaces around the house.

When
Sue
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017, humour
While I don’t usually review such short books, I like this so much that I wanted to add my recommendation to the many other reviews.

This is part of the new series of Ladybird book ‘for grown-ups’. With illustrations reminiscent of the 1960s style, it's an amusing look, in the style of the children's classic books, into the life of a young mother. Having said that, if you didn't come across the books as a child, or if you don’t get satire or British humour, then this probably isn’t for you.

It’s
Wayne McCoy
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it
'The Fireside Grown-Up Guide to the Mom' by Jason Hazeley and Joel Morris is a parody series with vintage illustrations. It's not bad for what it is.

The mom has two very important jobs, according to the book: to look after her children and to do everything else well. This book of large type and easy to read information will give hints and tips at excelling at this job. I learned about children moving laundry baskets and how the mom sounds like her own mother. I learned how the mom made a nice co
Sarah Tipper
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the perfect blend of nostalgia, humour and modernity. The re-purposing of familiar images (if like me you’re over forty and learnt to read with Ladybird books) with amusing comments on the peculiar trials of being a Mum. I am not a Mum but many of my friends are and this is close to word for word some of their moans and concerns. The never getting to go to the loo alone is covered, as is never drinking a whole cup of tea and having the Octonauts theme tune going round in your head. ...more
Clare
My Mum died this week and she used to buy me Ladybird books. I guess I want to immerse myself in nostalgia from when I was little.

The Mum is written in large print and uses artwork from the original Ladybird books. It uses repetitive language like the originals but with funny comments about how hard being a mum is.
Hilary
Got this out of the library. Enjoyed looking at the beautiful illustrations from the original ladybird books. The original illustrations have been given new text aimed at adults who read them the first time round. Mildly amusing. Original books well worth revisiting.
Megalion
Such a hilarious mash up of images from the mid 1900s, paired with the sharp witty humor today. As frequently seen in Internet pictures.

A must read. I'm not a mother but I still really enjoyed this.

Thank you to the publisher for the free copy of this book in exchange for this honest review.
Melanie
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mum, part of the Ladybird books for adults series had me laughing out loud from the get go. This book is perfect for those Mums or Mum figures out there who don't take like too seriously and like a good giggle. Tongue in cheek humour, amusing and eye rolling - this book had it all. My favourite page is still the one with regards to Thomas the Tank Engine. I could relate. KUWTK, Big Brother, Loose Women? Nope I never watched any of them, but yes I could tell you exactly what happened in Thoma ...more
Maggie Gordon
My partner found this in the dollar bin, and it gave me what I considered an appropriate amount of laughs for the price :D The Ladybird books are short homour books combining snark and vintage images about mundane daily life. This one on mothering seemed sufficiently funny even to a non-parent!
Sylvia
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moms are superheroes, but even they have their vices. A brief and silly, yet realistic look, at the ups and downs of women who try to do it all... I bet this is even funnier and more relatable if you're a mom!
Natalie
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given this by my son for mothers day. Funny cos it's true stuff here!
Dane Cobain
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would make a great mother’s day gift. It’s basically a fun little parody Ladybird book about what makes mums tick. Caffeine.

Karen
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic!
Sandra "Jeanz"
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INITIAL THOUGHTS
I instantly liked the look of these little "comedy" style books with their homage to Ladybird's easy reader style Janet and John books. I was anticipating at the very least a wry smile or two.

REVIEW
I downloaded an e-arc copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
So as I said in the "Initial Thought's" section above I really like the style of the cover as it really is so reminiscent of the old ladybird books I loved as a child. I know the picture are very "
Suad Shamma
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, own
Every mom should have a copy of this book. It is a hilarious, sarcastic and satiric view of a mom's life and moments we go through on an every day basis. Every mother out there will relate to at least 90% of these moments, if not 100%. It is also a great gift if you run out of ideas!
Book
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, english, self-help
Ladybird Books, something that instantly reminds to those years long gone, are back. Though these book are actually made for grown-ups.

Everything is as we remember from the past – known logo, original artwork and fonts, yet their subject are different. This for the Mum is the first one I read, yet I quickly browsed through several others such as “The Book Of The Hangover”, “Book Of Dating”, „Book of the Mid-Life Crisis” - well you get the point.

A great tribute to the originals, full of nostalgia
Hilary
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, humor
Another parody of the Little Golden Books/Ladybird books we remember as children, and this one is funnier than the guide to the husband.

From the first page ("A mom has two very important jobs to do. One is to look after her children. The other is to do everything else as well.") there's truth presented in a new light, accompanied by old-fashioned illustrations.

A lot of fun!

Disclaimer: I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Pop Bop
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Good, Clever, Edgy Fun

This Americanized edition of the Ladybirds version is presented in what I think of as the Jack Handey, "Deep Thoughts" style. A bland or banal opening line is given an unexpected twist by a second follow-up line. The effect can be funny, edgy, illuminating, or vinegary depending on the author's intent. This is very hard stuff to write, and each word, the pacing, and the rhythm have to be just right or the lines fall flat.

Well, our authors have mastered this art of humor-hai
Kevin
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as funny as some of these adult reboots.
Kerrie
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A funny and honest grown-up spin on the Ladybird Books - an essential read for all mums!
Chris
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, kindle
3.5

I didn't find this quite as funny as the one about the hangover, but it was still pretty good.
Nicole
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious
Karen Moizer
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Present from the kids for xmas. Very funny!
Tina Ambury
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very British and very funny. A Christmas gift from AJ' s boyfriend.
Terrie Baumgartner
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Perfectly hysterical
Neil Cake
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
Brilliant. True and funny.
Play Book Tag: The Fireside Grown-up Guide to the Mom - hilarious 5 stars 1 9 Sep 15, 2016 12:42PM

• Yes, I'm Hot in This: The Hilarious Truth about Life in a Hijab
  • A Cat's Life
  • Hand Drawn Jokes for Smart Attractive People
  • Felines of New York: A Glimpse Into the Lives of New York's Feline Inhabitants
  • Cat vs Human: Another Dose of Catnip
  • Dark Knights And Dingy Castles (Horrible Histories)
  • Balderdash!: John Newbery and the Boisterous Birth of Children's Books
  • My Mum Tracy Beaker
  • I Hate Fairyland #1
  • The Good Thief's Guide to Venice (Good Thief's Guide, #4)
  • Hurrah for Gin: A book for perfectly imperfect parents
  • Kim Kardashian West: Selfish
  • The World's Greatest Unsolved Crimes
  • By the Book: A Reader's Guide to Life
  • Inside Little Britain
  • All the Colors We Are: Todos los colores de nuestra piel/The Story of How We Get Our Skin Color
  • Sicily: A Short History, from the Greeks to Cosa Nostra