Start by marking “The Feast of All Souls” as Want to Read:
The Feast of All Souls

The Feast of All Souls

Alice’s house stands at a gateway between worlds. Now something has awoken on the other side - and she's in its way...

378 Collarmill Road looks like an ordinary house. But sometimes, the world outside the windows isn’t the one you expect to see. And sometimes you’ll turn around and find you’re not alone.

The suburb of Crawbeck, on a hill outside the English city of Manches
Published December 6th 2016 by Solaris (first published December 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Feast of All Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feast of All Souls

Paromjit
Nov 25, 2016 Paromjit rated it really liked it
This is a dark and atmospheric gothic novel full of thrills and horror. It takes in the supernatural, ghosts, horror, evil and a house bursting with secrets. Alice Collier is seriously depressed and she has good reason, her marriage is at an end and she has suffered the unspeakable loss of her daughter. She relocates to 378 Collarmill Road, Crawbeck, Manchester, a place where she was once happy. She is hoping to be able to start putting her life back together again. This is not going to happen, ...more
Carol
Dec 26, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it
Not just another vanilla ghost story here. Much more substance than info provided in the book summary.....

It's almost Halloween when Alice moves into the the fixer-upper with squeaky floors and mysterious voices, but are the hallucinations real or a figment of her imagination? After the loss of her young daughter and breakup of her marriage, (no spoiler here) Alice is not so sure of anything anymore let alone the scary creature and mystifying sights she encounters in her backyard.

THE FEAST OF AL

Steven
First - thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I'm not entirely sure where to start on this one. It was a decent story, with some great characters and a nice creepy vibe all the way through. I think I just didn't like how convoluted it got. It was trying to tie so many mythologies into the explanation, and it never really did a great job explaining how the creepy supernatural weirdness actually caused what it did. The children were strictly
The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
Review: FEAST OF ALL SOULS by Simon Bestwick

FEAST OF ALL SOULS is an expansive horror novel constructed on a tautly plotted framework, delving into history, quantum physics, and the space-time continuum. Some portions and characters delve into what I would term extreme horror, so this is not a story for the easily upset. Nevertheless, it is a novel with powerful impact, and in many aspects, resonates with the vivid tones of reality. Almost everyone can identity with characters and some of the bo
Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary)
The Feast of All Souls was a long read that felt like a short one. That’s a good thing. The story flowed smoothly, the pacing was excellent, and the main character was one I empathized with. The author did a great job of establishing the creepiness factor almost immediately. I loved the weird ‘in-and-out of time’ sort of thing that was going on. That’s not often utilized, and when it is, it’s often over-done. This had the perfect amount in it.

I’m always nervous when I go into a book where the ma
Pop Bop
Nov 13, 2016 Pop Bop rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Loaded With Everything You Could Want.

I'm done with "Turn of the Screw" horror/gothic/supernatural. Oh, was that a ghostly reflection in the mirror? My dear, did that tea cup move by itself? Pah! I want action, horror, and lots of quirky characters monologuing away about the creepy history of some forsaken plot. Well, you'll get that here in spades.

A plot summary doesn't do this justice. Short version - Alice moves to a creepy house and bad things happen, which leads her to discover even worse t
Books, Vertigo and Tea (Danielle)
I love haunted house stories. For as long as I can remember, I have been reading, telling and watching stories of houses that were possessed, corrupted or inhabited with evil spirits from an unworldly realm. The paranormal genre continues to fascinate me and solicits feelings of curiosity.

The Feast of all Souls did exactly that. It immediately lunged at me and grabbed hold. The cover carried an air of nostalgia that I could only contribute to the countless films and books I have read throughout
Gayle
Jan 15, 2017 Gayle rated it really liked it
MY THOUGHTS

This isn't your normal ghost story. It starts out that way but boy, does it go in another direction. The author gives you everything that keeps the reader connected, fast pace, lots of action, characters that are a bit odd and terror. When Alice loses her little girl and her marriage has gone down the tubes. She appears to have no direction and she is extremely depressed. She makes a decision to move and the move may not be the best decision she has ever made. She moves into a eerie,
Elana
Dec 14, 2016 Elana rated it really liked it
I hoped for a classic English ghost story. Instead I got a mixture of neo-Victorianism, quantum theory and the Grail legend. But this weird brew is actually quite palatable. The narrative flows smoothly, the chapters dealing with the horrors of the Victorian era are vivid and compelling, and by the time I got to the quantum explanation of English folk tales, I was ready for anything. It is not exactly horror or sci-fi but rather a kind of charming, if awkward, mutt.
Ella (The Story Collector)
Nov 13, 2016 Ella (The Story Collector) rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, horror, ghost
Alice is trying to start over. Having lost her daughter and husband, she has bought and new house and is trying to move on. However, it would appear that her new house stands on a sort of gateway between worlds, and things are trying to drag her to the other side. After some terrifying attacks by ghostly children and a horrible ogre, Alice enlists the help of her paranormal-investigator-ex-boyfriend, and together they uncover the secrets 378 Collarmill Road and it's evil previous owner.

First thi
Tony
Nov 26, 2016 Tony rated it really liked it

Simon Bestwick – The Feast of all Souls

“Don’t confuse this novel with a simple ghost story, it has layers which go much deeper”

Simon Bestwick’s latest novel was a real change of pace and direction, having really enjoyed two of his previous books I was looking forward to what he would dream up next. ‘The Feast of all Souls’ certainly did not disappoint and although I found it to be quite an odd book, it was an entertaining read which was far from predictable. The novel starts like a fairly tradit
Greg Del Mar
Dec 25, 2016 Greg Del Mar rated it really liked it
I recommend Feast of All Souls as an engrossing supernatural horror novel that also tosses in elements of mystery and science fiction. Living in the house on 378 Collarmill Road is a wild ride- there is a lot going on, and it was a fun read.

Alice lives in said house, having come back to the area of her childhood after the death of her only child, and the subsequent failed marriage. She's at the edge of her sanity and hoping that familiarity will bring peace and order back to her life. Little doe
Bandit
Oct 29, 2016 Bandit rated it really liked it
This actually turned out to be a perfect Halloweeny read. Well done Netgalley for putting this one up right on time. Strongly reminiscent of the horror I used to love...British, well written, with strong character development and backstories and local legends and creepy real estate, this book had so much to enjoy, even if its heroine was occasionally not the most likeable. Anyway, she's had a lot to deal with, death of a child, dissolution of marriage, move. No one checks up the historical detai ...more
Ionia
Dec 06, 2016 Ionia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy very complex haunted house stories, then this one just might be right for you.

I'm still not a hundred percent sure what I think about this book. While the story was engaging in a lot of ways, there were parts of it that lost me. It wasn't confusing, I just struggled with the lags in interesting happenings as the author switched back and forth between time periods.

The main character was well planned and had a lot of dimension and I found it was easy to relate to her, but I had trou
Boneist
Nov 07, 2016 Boneist rated it it was amazing
I received this free from Netgalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.

In short, I loved it. I would have read it in one sitting, but real life got in the way!

We start with Alice, a recently bereaved mother, moving back to Manchester to live near her parents. However, the house she has bought is not all as it seems - for a start, there are the ghostly children who seem to have taken a dislike to Alice. And for another, it doesn't always seem to stay in 2016.

Meanwhile, we hear excerpts from
Kai
Dec 09, 2016 Kai rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Provided by NetGalley for an honest review.

Once again, this was not my usual kind of book. I don't do ghosts. At all.
It started off well. I was very empathetic to the main character and all she was going through and I was intrigued by her past and the sometimes lack of detail as to what exactly had happened to place her in her current situation and state of mind. And then it got creepy. Ghost children.
TBH, I actually really enjoyed the book. It was well written and the characters were very muc
Just_me
Nov 16, 2016 Just_me rated it liked it
Literally just finished this book and read it in less than 24 hours. It's a good story Thorn is truly scary, Mary's account fascinating and Alice's story really interesting but I felt it had lots of unnessisary detail.
Teddy was an unnessisary character and his role gave nothing to the story apart from having a token 'gay guy'. Alice's story of her past as well as details on John's family we all unnessisary and I found myself skim reading it to get to the good parts.

The whole supernatural aspect
Polly Krize
Dec 08, 2016 Polly Krize rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Despite its slow start and pace, keep reading as this book is worth it. Depressed from the end of her marriage and recovering slowly from the loss of her daughter, Alice Collier finds herself in an eerie house with ghostly children all around her. Well developed and well written, this is a long but satisfying read. Recommended.
Joanna Barry
Jan 13, 2017 Joanna Barry rated it really liked it
Weird as and not what I expected but brilliant!
Anthony Watson
Anthony Watson rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2016
Dawn Fuller
Dawn Fuller rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Thea Wilson
Thea Wilson rated it really liked it
Fiona
Fiona rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2017
Dean
Dean rated it really liked it
Loan Stars
Loan Stars rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2016
Lee Junq
Lee Junq rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Chenxi Ouyang
Chenxi Ouyang rated it really liked it
Steve J
Following the traumatic loss of her daughter and subsequent split from her husband, Alice decides to return to Manchester, close to her parents and where she went to University. She buys a house at 378 Collarmill Road as a "fixer upper" despite concerns from her parents. However she is not alone in the house...

Yes, you may think its a trope as old as time itself but trust me, you do not want to miss this book. The writing is simply superb as the story winds its way through the book via three tim
Melissa Lowden
Melissa Lowden rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2017