Start by marking “Venus” as Want to Read:
Venus

Venus

(Venus)

Experience the harsh and unforgiving landscape of Venus, where the only rule is simple: Adapt or die.

In 2150, Earths resources are depleted and countries race to outer space to mine what they need from other planets. China has laid claim to Mars, so the US and its allies have to make do with getting what it needs from the inhospitable world of Venus. But for a group of
Published October 25th 2016 by BOOM! Studios

To ask other readers questions about Venus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Venus

Start your review of Venus
Skye Kilaen
100% of the comics-reading adults in my household regularly lament the dearth of hard/military sci-fi in comics, so we were excited to find this space colonization survival book.

Venus is set in 2150, during a race between the U.S. and the "Pan Pacific Alliance" to settle Venus and exploit its natural resources. (Apparently and unsurprisingly, humanity hasn't learned much by 2150.) The story follows a U.S. ship as it crashes on Venus. There's a stark contrast in the first pages between the
Alan
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I think there many reasons I'm giving this a high rating. Among those reasons:
1) There are very few good science fiction comics (Saga has never quite hit me as science fiction)
2) Yes, it is like Andy Weir's The Martian, but on Venus. However, I really like The Martian
3) My most recent comic reads have been so disappointing that they made this look better than it is (a possibility)

A very solid piece of work. The USA decides to set up a Venus Colony, as a Pan Pacific Confederation (strongly hinted
Simon
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This sort of felt like it was going to be Andy Weir's the Martian set on Venus, with a bigger team. But somehow that aspect of survival was lost a bit. Maybe fewer characters and more survival. I don't know. Perhaps the planned future of it would have gone in that direction, but sadly I don't think there will be any more of it.

Really liked the premise though. Would have liked to have seen more.
Jenny Clark
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice art, fast paced plot and great images of Venus. The characters are all pretty good as well. I do wish there was more to this, but I guess part of the point is to imagine it for yourself. I love the idea behind this as well- science fiction to push science fact.
If you liked The Martian, you'll love this!
47Time
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-scifi
This comic is mature enough and with beautiful enough artwork to warrant a read. It's primarily aimed at scifi fans, but its focus on human psychology while under stress should appeal to other readers as well. I certainly enjoyed it, but the story is far from over and I could only find the first volume. There is plenty of potential here. Too bad that nothing else was published in this universe.

In 2150 the population of Earth is 30 billions strong. A new Cold War is ongoing between America and
SA
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, graphic-novels
Good, hard sci-fi; I liked the essays at the back, with a variety of opinions about spaceflight and planet colonization. Kind of interesting to read this immediately after the discovery of TRAPPIST-1 and its habitable planets.

Also interesting to read after Weir's The Martian has become so widely read, and the movie did so well. I almost want *more* detail in the narrative about how they'd survive with a damaged greenhouse after "The Martian", which is kind of funny since that sort of exposition
Tariq Malik
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
An intriguing take on a crewed mission to Venus. I've long felt Venus is an underappreciated plan worthy of more crew and robotic missions and the NASA/JPL involvement by Kevin Hand and others here makes this a standout for sure. A good read for space fans.
Hannah Givens
Oct 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, sci-fi
Really well conceived, written, and drawn, with a lot of interesting worldbuilding hints... but it's not a story. It's not an "open" ending, it's no ending, no conclusion. Would've loved to read what, presumably, would have been the whole thing if the creators had been able to do it.
Vince
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Engaging from the get go. Great art, interesting story. But one wonders where it can go next with such a limiting opening. Four stars.
Vicki Crosson
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a real shame this series didn't get continued. It seems really similar to The Martian, but the additional twists keep the story compelling.
Laurian Vega
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. It was gritty, fast paced, and was thoughtful.
Denise Nader
Dos cosas muy buenas: sé, por la reseña del astrónomo Phil Plait, que la ciencia en esta novela es sólida. La parte gráfica: ambientación, arte, es muy buena también. Las no buenas: todo es muy abrupto. Las acciones son precipitadas y pese a que no hay tiempo de profundizar en los personajes, igual hay acciones que se sienten fuera de éstos. El final es abrupto (en el caso de ser una novela autocontenida, como fue anunciada). Es una pena que los puntos débiles sean justamente los que llevan el ...more
Kevin
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I took a chance on this book on a whim, not recognizing the creative team, and I'm glad I did. Really fascinating story about a colonization mission to Venus going awry, seemingly in part due to sabotage. It's largely self contained, but sets itself up for an as-yet unannounced sequel down the line, which I would have dug more if said sequel were being announced!
Jesús

• Elsewhere #5
  • Elsewhere #4
  • Trish Trash: Rollergirl of Mars Omnibus
  • Time and Vine
  • Fırtına Toplanıyor (Zaman Çarkı, #12)
  • The Woods, Vol. 1: The Arrow