Start by marking “How To Be a Medieval Woman” as Want to Read:
How To Be a Medieval Woman

How To Be a Medieval Woman

And then he, completely astonished at her words, left off his lewdness, saying to her as many a man had done before, "Either you are a truly good woman or else a truly wicked woman."

Brave, outspoken and guaranteed to annoy people wherever she went - including exasperated fellow pilgrims in Jerusalem and her long-suffering husband - Margery Kempe was one of the most vivid
Kindle Edition, Penguin Little Black Classics, 125 pages
Published March 3rd 2016 by Penguin Classics (first published 1438)

To ask other readers questions about How To Be a Medieval Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How To Be a Medieval Woman

Kirstine
I feel cheated by this Little Black Classic. On the back it says "Advice on marriage, foreign travel and much more from the irrepressible Margery Kempe: medieval pilgrim, visionary and creator of the first autobiography".

I knew nothing of Margery Kempe, who she was, what she did, so I thought, based on that description, that this was a book of, well, advice. I thought it was Margery giving advice on life, based on her own experiences. Obviously, that's not what this is at all. It's a biography
Peter
Apr 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
GARBAGE! Review to follow.
Jo
Excerpt from Kempe's memoirs, part of Penguin's Little Black Classics series. Some of it was absolutely fascinating but the religious aspects got a bit tedious. I would be interested to read the full book though.
Grace
This was a very unusual read. It was heavy going and the way it is written at times makes it difficult to understand. The text definitely doesn't really match the blurb which is a shame. Everything is linked in some ways to religion and when I say linked I don't think there is one sentence in the whole book which doesn't mention something religious in some way.
I give it two because there were parts which I did enjoy and it was a curious insight into a medieval women's mind. But, the heavy relig
Maud
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stand-alone
I think the blurb is very misleading. The book is only about Margery and how she experiences her religion. There isn't really any advise or insight into how an everyday woman in this age would have lived. There is also a lot of repetition (most used word is probably sobbing or sorrow or something) which made it a bit dull to read. I think that Penguin should have picked a different book to fill up this spot really...
Sasha
This is the first book I have completed as part of my personal book challenge. Number 95 in the Penguin Little Black Classics series I put it on my list because I was intrigued by the synopsis:
"Advice on marriage, foreign travel and much more from the irrepressible Margery Kempe: medieval pilgrim, visionary and creator of the first autobiography."
Sounds fascinating, right? A first hand female account of life in the late 1300's and early 1400's? Awesome!
But it wasn't quite what I was expecting..
Lisa
How To Be A Medieval Woman contains excerpts from Margery Kempe’s autobiography, which is considered significant because it is the first (known) English autobiography in history. This ‘little black book’ is perhaps mistitled. This is not a collection of advice on how one should be behave, and there is little in the contents about daily life for medieval woman. In fact, one gets the view that Kempe liked to see herself as utterly unique and far more special than anyone else.

Setting that to the si
Samantha Bee
Not entirely what I'd expected when picking this up, but interesting nonetheless. Margery seems to have lead a fascinating life, and though she can be a little preachy at times, I did think this was a unique read. But don't expect some sort of Medieval-era conduct guide. That's not what this is at all.
Marvin Labrie
The description in no way relates to this repetitive piece of torture. I suppose it has some little historical significance.. thus I kept reading... However I would have rather spent the time in her hell than given another minute to this excruciating expose of her mentality.
rosamund
I don't know how to rate this book. How can you describe a 15th century text? I really enjoyed it as a historical account, and I found Kempe's descriptions of travel, lust, madness, her own visions, and the cruelty she experienced, to be fascinating. But as a work of literature it didn't grip me at all: but then, that's not what it's trying to do. A woman was compelled, at great personal risk, to recount her visions and experiences of god, although she was illiterate. That alone, and the fact th ...more
Jessica
I found Margery's visions hard to connect with in many places because they were just so strange, but this little book had something captivating about it. I think what I liked about it most was the way that very spiritual themes were dealt with in a very bodily way - that's something about mediaeval religious writing that I always find very appealing.
Madge
0.5/5
The blurb is awfully misleading, and never have I felt so cheated before.
Possibly the worst book I have read in 2016.
0.5 for "A Vision of the Crucifixion".
As holy (or religious, your call) writings, Margery Kempe would be most appropriate; a solemn read for a time of reflection or solitude, all good.
However, to read as advertised, no. It ain't what it says it is.
Saskia
Tieta
May 08, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Short Biography profile and facts about the life of Margery Kempe
The following biography information provides basic facts and information about the life and history of Margery Kempe a famous Medieval character of the Middle Ages:

Nationality: English

Lifespan: 1373 - c1438

Time Reference: Lived during the reign of the English Kings; Edward III, Richard II and Henry IV

Date of Birth: She was born Marge