Start by marking “Doctor Who: A History of Humankind: The Doctor’s Official Guide” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: A History of Humankind: The Doctor’s Official Guide

Doctor Who: A History of Humankind: The Doctor’s Official Guide

Over billions of years of time travel, the Doctor has run into his fair share of important people - and he's formed opinions on most of them too. Now the Twelfth Doctor has got hold of a history textbook from Coal Hill School, and he's decided to improve it with notes of his own!

From Nefertiti to Robin Hood, this essential Doctor's guide gives us his unique take on Earth's
Published October 6th 2016 by BBC Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Start your review of Doctor Who: A History of Humankind: The Doctor’s Official Guide
ArwendeLuhtiene
3.5/5
An enjoyable quick read including most (if not all) of the historical-based serials and episodes in Doctor Who (both Classic!Who and New!Who). I especially liked the format, involving the Twelfth Doctor wrecking a Coal Hill School history library book with 'corrections', annotations and added pages (such a Chaotic Good thing to do xD), explaining how history 'actually happened' from the sci-fi Doctor Who point of view. More serious and engaging, imo, than former books in this
Joe Kessler
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This is another in the line of licensed Doctor Who children's books presented as annotated reference materials, but I like it a lot better than the earlier effort How to Be a Time Lord. Partly that's because it has a better gimmick -- a history textbook scrawled over by the Twelfth Doctor in his customary acerbic way -- and partly because it's quietly exhaustive, including details from practically every historical adventure in Doctor Who's long history.

(It's Doctor Who, so of course there's room
Chrissy
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This reminded me a lot of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, the edition where it's supposed to be one of Harry Potter's textbooks and it shows all of his and Ron's commentary in the margins and such. Though the Doctor is waaaaaay more enthusiastic when it comes to "correcting" Earth's human history in a school textbook.

Though I wonder if this edition is just the parts that the Doctor knows about. Some of the chapters in this Coal Hill School textbook were a bit oddball to begin with. The
Taksya
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ennesimo volume illustrato della BBC Children's Books... per un pubblico giovanissimo, ma gradevole anche per quello adulto.
Il Dottore (12 per l'esattezza) riscrive la storia terrestre pasticciando un testo di storia della Coal Hill, commentando fatti reali e personaggi storici, dalla preistoria alla Guerra Fredda.
Citando eventi sia dal Classic che dal New Who, fa riscoprire i personaggi e le situazioni più famose, non tutte ma una buona parte.
Una lettura divertente e rapida, da considerare come
Phillip
This was a funny, coffee table (or bathroom, if you are that sort) Doctor Who book. It presents as a children's history book, but the Twelfth Doctor has made some "improvements" in the text, margins, and has added some additional pages about human history. There were a lot of funny parts that I enjoyed. There were a few times where it was just episode summaries, more or less, which was less enjoyable (I've seen the episodes!). But I think it's a good gift book for any Doctor Who fan -- it ...more
Runell
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm quite biased as I love Doctor Who, but this was so much fun. Pretty spoilery, so River wouldn't be happy, so just fair warning.

It's cute and it made me laugh through out almost the whole thing. I know it's supposed to be the 12th Doctor telling you all about "human history", but I heard Matt Smith's voice (11th Doctor) which only added to the experience.

If you're a Doctot Who fan, I'm considering this a must.
Terri
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this. It is published by the BBC children's division so I think it's supposed to be a kids' book, but I really liked it. It presents human history in chronological order and then fills in information from the Doctor's experiences so that the doctor's life is presented out of order/the entries skip around between all of the Doctor's incarnations - which is a unique an interesting way to see the Doctor's life ordered. A fun, quick read.
Jessica
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is written from the Capaldi doctor regeneration. It was written so well in this doctors voice I was able to hear him in my head as I read the words. It's a great book that recaps some major events throughout our history and what happened in the Whoniverse.

A light, easy read that's no more than 176 pages. There's drawings and pictures to go with it. Really liked it.
Matthew Ray
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Justin Richards has written multiple books, including multiple of Doctor Who, and this one, like his others, doesn't disappoint to bring thoughts, laughter, and overall greatness to the pages it fills.
Kelley Reid
Sep 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Great if you are 10-y.o fan of Dr. Who.
Great if you are fanatic.
Great if you need help with history AND can tell BS from Blarney.
I got mine as an inter-library loan from th Army. Wonder which category their readers fall into.
hermonie - december 24th 🥺
I loved this. Of course. I mean, it's Doctor Who! Plus I learned some things about real history I never knew.

My hardcover copy of this was a gift from my aunt so that made it even better!

And I got 100% on the final quiz. How bout you?
BumfuzzledNerd
Ganz niedlich für zwischendurch, aber es ist eher für jüngere Leser gedacht. Ich hätte mir am Ende ein Episodenindex gewünscht, da mir manche Themen nicht viel sagten und ich hätte die Folge gern geschaut. Die Zeichnungen und Kommentare sind ein nettes Extra, aber nach der Hälfte sind sie eher störend.
Kai Hunter
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, ya
Fun read. Learned a lot. Got really annoyed that the English call it sticky tape. Tape being sticky is the norm. I think we only need to qualify it when it ISN'T sticky!
Bunny Cakes
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A much more interesting version o history! Loved it!
SEAN Moore
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this book was no ordinarily book it was more just a first person book you have to follow the show to read this i think or you will be really be confused doctor who.
Ajeeth Peo
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
For the Dr.Who enthusiast. Will seem like a clump of drivel for anyone who isn't!
Nikii
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
Obviously meant for a younger audience than someone who was watching when Tom Baker was the Doctor, but a fun little trip through (Earth) history nonetheless.
RhiaRose
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This was a nice trip down memory lane. It’s a library book that the doctor fixed, complete with additions, highlights, drawings...it’s was lots of fun :)
PenguinAwesome
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cant-be-done
This book change my view the world and made want to watch doctor who
Lizzy Seitz
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5.0 out of 5 stars

This was so well done and the amount of detail was great!
Jessica Boyd
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who
Fun book, although I think the dot on the map for Utah is off. Also, like I've said I wish there was a reference list of which serials or episodes were ebbing referenced and what times. I know the titles were used for the ,out part, but unless you have all 827 memorized, it doesn't really work.
Collin Reynolds
Save your money

This just a series of historical events with a few cheeky comments. It also has several recaps of noted Dr. Who episodes.
Canesgalactica
Kind of meh if you're an adult... would be pretty entertaining if you're a younger DW fan, though.
Rebecca
Jan 31, 2019
Maria
Apr 08, 2017
Sassafras
Whovians will love this history book as it is revised by The Twelfth Doctor. Since it is a "history" book, none of the main selections post future happenings, though there are references to them in the annotations by 12. The combination of photographs, illustrations, and comments make for an entertaining read. Of course, my favorites are those "taped in" pages with the rewritten history. Just remember that it is from the 12th Doctor's perspective, so some of your fan references might be missing. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Doctor Who: A Brief History of Time Lords
  • Doctor Who: How to Be a Time Lord - Official Guide
  • Doctor Who: The Companion’s Companion
  • Doctor Who: Combat Magicks
  • Doctor Who: The Women Who Lived
  • Doctor Who: Now We Are Six Hundred: A Collection of Time Lord Verse
  • The Secret in Vault 13: A Doctor Who Story
  • The Art Of Saying NO: How To Stand Your Ground, Reclaim Your Time And Energy, And Refuse To Be Taken For Granted (Without Feeling Guilty!)
  • Lumberjanes: Oldie But Goodie (Lumberjanes, #12)
  • Lumberjanes #14
  • Lumberjanes: Robyn Hood (Lumberjanes, #4)
  • Cat vs Human
  • Lumberjanes: If You've Got It, Haunt It (Lumberjanes, #9)
  • Lumberjanes: Everything Under the Sun (Lumberjanes, #3)
  • Lumberjanes: Pungeon Master (Lumberjanes, #2)
  • The Dog Runner
  • Lumberjanes: Jail Break (Lumberjanes, #6)
  • Lumberjanes: Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fondant (Lumberjanes, #10)
Justin Richards is a British writer. He has written many spin off novels based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who, and he is Creative Director for the BBC Books range. He has also written for television, contributing to Five's soap opera Family Affairs. He is also the author of a series of crime novels for children about the Invisible Detective, and novels for older children. ...more