Start by marking “Paris for One and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Paris for One and Other Stories

Paris for One and Other Stories

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  24,098 ratings  ·  2,728 reviews
Nell is twenty-six and has never been to Paris. She's never even been on a romantic weekend away--to anywhere--before. Traveling abroad isn't really her thing. But when Nell's boyfriend fails to show up for their mini-vacation, she has the opportunity to prove everyone--including herself--wrong. Alone in Paris, Nell finds a version of herself she never knew existed: indepe ...more
Published October 18th 2016 by Pamela Dorman Books

To ask other readers questions about Paris for One and Other Stories, please sign up.
Margaret Paris for One is the longest story and the most interesting. The other stories are not memorable. The main character in Paris for One is a lot like…moreParis for One is the longest story and the most interesting. The other stories are not memorable. The main character in Paris for One is a lot like Louisa Clark.(less)

·  24,098 ratings  ·  2,728 reviews

Start your review of Paris for One and Other Stories
Jonetta
This book has nine stories about troubled relationships from the perspectives of the women in each. The first, Paris for One, is the length of a novella while the others are all short stories. I liked some more than others but really enjoyed them collectively. The narration performances were outstanding and contributed greatly to my overall reading experience. Below are short summaries of each with my reactions.

Paris for One
Nell and her boyfriend Pete are off for a weekend in Paris, or so she think
Irena
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Paris for One is collection of two novellas and 9 short stories.

My favorite story (or I should say novella) was Honeymoon in Paris. It is a standalone novella, but is also connected to Moyes' full lenght novel The Girl You Left Behind. 80 pages long, the story follows two couples placed in different time, separated by 80 years, who's stories together make a whole. Even though I really liked it, I think I would appreciate it even more if I have read the novel.

Paris for One is second best in this collection.
It/>Paris/>My
Paris for One and Other Stories is a collection of short stories written by Jojo Moyes. In my opinion, most all of the stories are entertaining and engaging, although some were more enjoyable than others for me personally. Fans of women's fiction will surely be able to connect with a few if not most of the pieces. It's a great collection. Check it out!

Paris for One and Other Stories includes the following titles. The ratings and mini reviews are based on my personal enjoyment and reflect my opinion only.

Paris for One:
★★★★☆
This novella is takes up over half the book and felt like a thorough open and close story. I enjoyed it and clearly felt the Paris setting and the heroine's emotions. This was a good one.

Between the Tweets:
★★★★☆
A bit of mystery with a surprise plot twist... and very surprise ending. I probably should have seen it all coming but I really didn't. Enjoyable!

Love in the Afternoon:
★★★★★
Hands down, my favorite out of the bunch. We take each other for granted much too easily and our contributions become a mundane expectation instead of a thankful appreciation. Loved it!

A Bird in the Hand:
★★★★☆
The grass is always greener on the other side. Yeah right. Glad to see a change of heart.

Crocodile Shoes:
★★★★★
A fabulous pair of shoes can change your life. Loved this one!

Holdups:
★★★★☆
So Ms. Moyes has a borderline dark side! This one surprised me in a good way!

Last Year’s Coat:
★☆☆☆☆
I listened to this one twice and still can't tell you what it was about.

Thirteen Days with John C:
★★☆☆☆
Busted! Unfortunately, I didn't find this one all that enjoyable.

The Christmas List:
★★★☆☆
So many factors can make the holidays stressful instead of magical. After all is said and done, it's easy to be left wondering what's the point of all the hassle. Moral of the story: Make every day of your life count and spend your holidays with people who care ♥

Rating Average: 3.55 Stars
I originally read Paris for One about 2 years ago. I rated it 4 stars and I thought it was a good short story. I was impressed by the fact that it focused more on a connection between two people rather than force some kind of insta-love. I didn't enjoy it as much this time, I don't know if that is to do with the fact that my tastes have changed or because I wasn't reading it for the first time. I think it was the former and I do think my tastes have changed slightly, but I rated it 3.5 stars thi ...more
Connie G
Jojo Moyes is known for her engaging books that look at romantic relationships with insight and humor. This is a collection of nine contemporary stories. After reading weeks of depressing political commentary in the newspapers lately, it was fun to escape to this light, entertaining book. It was just what I needed!
Dash fan
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4☆ Great collection of short stories

This is my first book by Jojo it was a fun read with some great stories.

Each short story is very different.
However they feature romance, some humour, breakups, secret love affairs, a little mystery and lots of different emotions.

They give a portrayal of life and the problems women face within marriage and relationships. Not every story is written with a happy ending.

Paris for one is the main story and it li
Vanessa S.
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, 2017-reads
Last summer, I attempted to read my first Jojo Moyes' book, Windfallen, and quit after about 60 pages in because of the writing style. I decided to give her writing another go with Paris for One and Other Stories, but, sadly, I felt much the same about these short stories. I enjoyed Paris for One fairly well, but the other stories were somewhat irritating and forgettable. I was hoping I'd like this more, and I still plan to read Me Before You and After You, but this was a miss for me.
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
Paris for One and Other Stories was a charming and touching collection of short stories involving troubled relationships. Each story had such a strong and dynamic voice. I felt like each narrator was so distinct and well developed for having such short stories. I loved the way the author wrote the stories and how each story was unique and memorable. I knew I loved JoJo's writing style, but this book just reminded me of how much I truly loved it! I liked some of the stories more than others, but I reall ...more
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥

'Paris for One and Other Stories,' is a collection of eleven romantic shorts with JoJo Moyes the headline author and writer of the main title. Paris for One offers easy, light romantic reading and is my first outing with this author. I was highly anticipating that I would enjoy the writing style but unfortunately, for my personal taste, it was lacking the power in the prose to engage my attention or convincingly draw me into the story. I found myself disengaged from the characters and felt some
Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't usually like short stories, but this collection was very enjoyable.
It was satisfying to read the stories during my commute to work. The book ended appropriately with a short Christmas story. Total chick lit, but good!
Toyni Erica - toyniericasverden
Easy, fun read.. Makes me want to drop everything and go to Paris!
Kirsten #weloveyoualex
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by this author. This book starts with the novella Paris for One - I think of it as a novella as most short stories don't have chapters.

I really liked Paris for One. The writing is so open and engaging that I read this novella of 100+ pages in one sitting. Great female characters and not all the men were worthless. Very enjoyable.

The other stories in the collection are darling. Some remind me of stories by O. Henry. The women are very real. The stories are light
Sophia
This was my first encounter with JoJo Moyes writing and I have to confess that I was somewhat reluctant after reading all the angsty and teary-eyed reviews of Me Before You. I'm a chicken about really heartwrenching stories so I held back. But then I spotted this short story collection and thought it might be safe enough.

Well, I made a good call I think, but not because Paris For One was devoid of angst. No, this was a fantastic collection that gave me an idea of the writing gift the author dis
Angie Elle
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
ARC from the publisher.

If I was rating this book just on the short story Paris for One, it would easily be four stars. While I really enjoyed Nell’s story, I did find the synopsis to be a bit misleading. Nell doesn’t take the plunge and go on her mini-vacation alone. She heads to Paris assuming her boyfriend will be arriving shortly thereafter. He doesn’t show up, and through a series of events, she finds herself staying in Paris (as the title suggests,) alone. I found it really easy to ident/>3.5
Coryanne Hicks
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: light-hearted
This is the sign of authorial success: Being allowed to publish a bunch of stories you wrote during puberty and having it sell well.

Under-edited and under-whelming, Paris for One & Other Stories definitely strikes me as the sort of slap-dash work authors often get away with publishing after becoming a success. The sort of stories that make you wonder if they were written B.S. (Before Success) or A.T.W.D (After the Wells Ran Dry). Either way, the definitely feel like a collection
Ann
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book. It's the first collection of short stories that I've loved every story. Jojo Moyes outdoes herself with this novella and and 8 short stories. The novella, Paris for One is great, about a young woman discovering she can be responsible for her own happiness and doesn't need to kowtow to a boyfriend who thinks only of himself. All the others are quick reads that are all about being happy. Great read and will be a perfect stocking stuffer since it's due out mid-October.
Judy Collins
A special thank you Penguin/Viking and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

JoJo Moyes returns following After You (Me Before You, #2) with a romantic and entertaining novella PARIS FOR ONE AND OTHER STORIES.

A Parisian Holiday Delight!

Nell is excited while waiting to take the train to highly-anticipated Paris when texting her boyfriend. He is not going to make it! He will meet up with her later (possibly). Shocked and angry, this was supposed to be a romantic getaway and her fi/>Nell
The Lit Bitch
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When it comes to romance, there are few better than Jojo Moyes. Her stories are always so full of emotion and heart.

Over the years I have read quite a few of her novels and each novel is unique and I always have a hard time putting them down. The main characters are always interesting, well drawn women and the romance elements are tenderhearted and emotionally charged.

I don’t read a lot of short stories or collections of stories as I prefer a fully developed novel where I
Zoe Mann
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Paris for One and Other Stories by Jojo Moyes - 2 stars.

Let me start by saying I ADORE Jojo Moyes and this is the main reason I requested this ARC when I am not a fan of short stories. If anyone could whisk me away into another world with few words it would be Moyes, unfortunately even she could not make this happen.

Some of the short stories I didn't understand and others left me feeling "bleugh" or were very bland. Only one managed to capture my attention and draw me to the characters and tha
Leona
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Read for the June BOTM , for the "Chick Lit Book Club" here at Goodreads. I loved "Paris for One", but found the other short stories disappointing.
Karen Whittard
Feb 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, Penguin uk, Michael Joseph and Jojo Moyes for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance reader copy of this book.

You can find my review on both Goodreads and Amazon. On Goodreads from today under Karen Whittard and on Amazon under k.e.whittard from publication date.

Paris for one and other stories is a collection of short stories by Jojo Moyes. I think this is a great collection of stories and come out just in time for a go
Alex
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, romantic, enjoyable, quick read.
Thumbs up yet again to Moyes!
Gabby
This ARC was sent to me by Penguin UK via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to both publisher/netgalley for sending me this :)

Usually I leave my DNF without star ratings, since I feel like because I haven't read it all I shouldn't be marking it. But I feel strongly with this one and my low rating at this moment in time. I am in no way closing my mind to this book, I might come back to it later, but right now. . . no.

I don't think short stories are f
~☆~Autumn♥♥
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I have read this year. In addition to the first story being excellent there are three shorter stories which were delightful and fascinating to me. They are: Holdup!, Crocodile Shoes and the last one about Christmas was just wonderful. I will never forget it. The cabbie was an angel to this poor long suffering woman. I think almost everyone would enjoy these stories. I hope to buy a copy of this and read it again next fall.
Dayle (the literary llama)
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I thought Paris For One was a cute read! And all the other shorter stories were great explorations. I enjoy it when an author gets to explore ideas that maybe aren't enough for an entire book but are still interesting ideas worth writing.
Akshara Gnanendra
Oct 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Very dull, largely substanceless chick lit. Unrealistic, bland, agreable and predictable storyline. A waste of time and a dull predictable story line with misleadingly bland messages. Don't read this if you value your time and your right to read quality literature.
Zoe Mann
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Paris for One and Other Stories by Jojo Moyes - 2 stars.

Karin
This is a collection of 8 short stories and one novella (the novella is also published separately). I liked some better than others, and perhaps my favourite twist in one of them is, well I can't really say since I'd hate to spoil the surprise, since they don't all necessarily have twists.

I like these overall, but am not a huge fan of short stories (not since I was in my early twenties). The writing is fine, not too terribly predictable. In the novella, however, I find the character
Jasprit
I’m typically not a short stories sort of reader, but when I heard about Paris for One and other stories by Jojo Moyes I knew I had to read it, Moyes just has a way of getting under your skin with her writing, so I couldn’t wait to dive right in. With this book featuring quite a few stories I thought with my review I would focus on a few of my favourites.

Between the Tweets
This story was totally unexpected; we have a well known actor who has come under intense scrutiny when a ra
Ariel
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: womens-fiction
The first and longest story in this book is about mousy and predictable Nell who think she is about to embark on a romantic trip to Paris with her boyfriend who cancels at the last second. Since the room is booked and the tickets paid Nell does the first impulsive thing in her life and she goes on the trip with out him. It is as life changing and romantic as you would imagine a trip to the City of Light would be.

The others stories in the book generally involve middle aged women in long term rel

• I Owe You One
  • One Day in December
  • Nine Perfect Strangers
  • Itärajatapaus
  • Surprise Me
  • Salaisuuksien galleria
  • The Proposal (The Wedding Date, #2)
  • My Not So Perfect Life
  • All We Ever Wanted
  • Onko vielä sinkkuelämää?
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • Seven Crows
Jojo Moyes is a British novelist.

Moyes studied at Royal Holloway, University of London. She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. In 2001 she became a full time novelist.

Moyes' novel Foreign Fruit won the Romantic Novelists' Association (RNA) Romantic Novel of the Year in 2004.

Sh